MLB CJ Mosely To the Jets

Team archer

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overspending in free agency isn't the way you want to build a team.  BUT when you've found

your QB and he's on his rookie contract YOU MUST use that to your advantage and stock

your team with talent.  This has been proven recently by SEA, PHI, LAR, KC & CHI all those

teams made the playoffs and two won SB's.  The key going forward is Maccagnan doing 

a better job drafting so the "cheap rookies" can replace the expensive veterans

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

On the other hand, Maccagnan can’t draft, he’s going to get fired after the season, Greg Williams lasts, maybe, 18 months here before the Redskins hire him, and Barr and Mosley possibly ******* up a Patriots season chasing a bounty could be amusing in the short term. YOLO. Lots to like. 

Fair point. Mosely and Barr are really good and will help with the #culture. These guys are football first and not posing/praising themselves  on IG. In the event we draft some good players, they’ll be really good to have around as leaders. 

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

Overspending in free agency isn't the way you want to build a team.  BUT when you've found

your QB and he's on his rookie contract YOU MUST use that to your advantage and stock

your team with talent.  This has been proven recently by SEA, PHI, LAR, KC & CHI all those

teams made the playoffs and two won SB's.  The key going forward is Maccagnan doing 

a better job drafting so the "cheap rookies" can replace the expensive veterans

This is true. 

The only issue I have with Mosley is that we have not filled center and if it came down to overpaying to force Paradis hand or overpaying to  force Mosley to leave Baltimore I would have paid for the other position. 

Do i think we will have a ferocious defense with Mosley and Barr - yes I do. But unless we find a trade down partner it will be hard to find a center in the draft.  There are 3 legit ones (Bradbury, Elton Jenkins and Eric McCoy all of whom should be gone by the 3rd round. The one hope is McCoy makes it to the 3rd but it’s a crap shoot. 

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

So Adams and Williams are such great "leaders" that their leadership does not extend to linebackers?  We need to pay $17M a year for a LB to lead too? WTF?

That was a weird hot taek dumb tweet. Williamson was lauded for his leadership both here and in Tennessee. The Jets didn’t give Mosley $17 mil for his mouth; they gave it to him because Gregg Williams likes him, I’d imagine 

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

So we should have signed JAG LB's instead? 

They are paying $30M a year for guys with a combined 22 sacks over 5 seasons.  That's like 4.5 sacks a season for both of them.  So glad we have addressed our pass rushing issues. 

I know for some reason I refuse to believe that Anthony Barr will suddenly become Derrick Thomas under Gregg Williams, but the Jets had more sacks than the Browns last season and the Browns had Myles Garrett. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Fair point. Mosely and Barr are really good and will help with the #culture. These guys are football first and not posing/praising themselves  on IG. In the event we draft some good players, they’ll be really good to have around as leaders. 

That’s the way I see it, too. It was puke-inducing to watch this crap defense dancing around during blowouts. I’m assuming that’s over.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

That was a weird hot task dumb tweet. Williamson was lauded for his leadership both here and in Tennessee. The Jets didn’t give Mosley $17 mil for his mouth; they gave it to him because Gregg Williams likes him, I’d imagine 

This I can buy.  The issue I have with that is that the year before Williamson, Demario Davis was lauded for his leadership.  When you are bringing in new leaders every year, the rest of your team must pretty much be a rudderless ship.

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

I think Leo's time is over here as well. That frees up another $14 million this year. 

Are we just going to line up no lineman and seven LBs?  I think we gotta keep him for now.  Although I do think the chances of us drafting Quinnen Williams seems to be going up with each one of these signings.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Are we just going to line up no lineman and seven LBs?  I think we gotta keep him for now.  Although I do think the chances of us drafting Quinnen Williams seems to be going up with each one of these signings.

The Jets are 1000% drafting Quinnen Williams

1 minute ago, Bruce Harper said:

Well, right now we can afford his $14 million cap hit for 2019, so I don't think they would trade him unless they were blown away with an offer.

You'd also have to wait until the draft itself, if trading Leo was the plan, because there is no guarantee that Q is going to be there.  I don't think they would trade him unless they already had a replacement in house.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

This I can buy.  The issue I have with that is that the year before Williamson, Demario Davis was lauded for his leadership.  When you are bringing in new leaders every year, the rest of your team must pretty much be a rudderless ship.

I think that was indisputable with Bowles: he expected veterans to run the locker room, which was a recipe for disaster. Davis, btw, was great for the Saints from what I saw

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Well, right now we can afford his $14 million cap hit for 2019, so I don't think they would trade him unless they were blown away with an offer.

You'd also have to wait until the draft itself, if trading Leo was the plan, because there is no guarantee that Q is going to be there.  I don't think they would trade him unless they already had a replacement in house.

I think it's likely that Quinnen or Bosa will be there.  Josh Allen doesn't appear to be a good fit anymore so on the slight chance Q and Bosa go 1-2, it will be imperative we trade down if possible.  As for Leo, I think he still is very much a piece of this defense and maybe a very good one now that he has more talent around and behind him.  This isn't the time to jettison players who can start and perform.  Darron Lee?  He's a goner.  Get a pick and move on.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I think Barr stays on the field in nickel at ILB.  We still don’t have a nickel cb the only one on the roster is Perry Nickerson who I thought showed potential last year and cannot be as bad as Skrine it’s almost impossible 

I'm guessing they think Nickerson is ready.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

The back tracking and excuse making is fantastic...  as if it hasn't been common knowledge of what year 3 of the rebuild  would look like.

He’s not wrong. The only surprising thing about this offseason is that Maccagnan didn’t give $85 million to an ILB sooner.

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So solidifying the Linebacking corp into possibly one of the better units in the NFL with Greg Williams as the DC will be mediocrity ?

Watching these NFL playoffs, I recall remarking about the linebacking, first and foremost.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think that was indisputable with Bowles: he expected veterans to run the locker room, which was a recipe for disaster. Davis, btw, was great for the Saints from what I saw

FWIW, I prefer the LB to C.  I think C can be filled fairly easily.  First of all, I think we overrate them.  I don't think the difference between a Roger Duffy/Jonathan Godwin at C and a Mawae/Mangold is worth paying a crazy premium.  Second, there are guys available every year that step in and do the job.  That being said - we have seen pathetic individual play from interior linemen torpedo the offense a few times (Wesley Johnson, Adrien Clarke).  They need to address it, but I am  not sure paying a king's ransom for Paradis was the way to go.  Mosley does seem to be the kind of guy that isn't going to quit once he gets paid.

10 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

3 Pro Bowl caliber players in 3 days....and people still whine....

You’re aware that every time a pro bowl caliber player comes available, it is at least in part, because the team who knows him best, didn’t want to pay him.

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are paying $30M a year for guys with a combined 22 sacks over 5 seasons.  That's like 4.5 sacks a season for both of them.  So glad we have addressed our pas rushing issues. 

I know for some reason I refuse to believe that Anthony Barr will suddenly become Derrick Thomas under Gregg Williams, but the Jets had more sacks than the Browns last season and the Browns had Myles Garrett. 

Our 2018 Defense couldn't stop a nose bleed, we were soft, we couldn't cover RB's,TE,s or WR's in the flats, our LB's were decent but adding these 2 players makes our LB crew a very good one. 

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are paying $30M a year for guys with a combined 22 sacks over 5 seasons.  That's like 4.5 sacks a season for both of them.  So glad we have addressed our pass rushing issues. 

But hey, we'll be really good at stopping the run.  Yay!

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Our 2018 Defense couldn't stop a nose bleed, we were soft, we couldn't cover RB's,TE,s or WR's in the flats, our LB's were decent but adding these 2 players makes our LB crew a very good one. 

The amount of 3rd and longs opposition quarterbacks managed to rush for made me die inside. I flew from London to New York to watch Tannehill rush for 44 yards and not get touched. He managed higher average yards per carry than their RBs.

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Let's play a game:  We lost our #2 and #3 CBs and replaced them with? 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, I prefer the LB to C.  I think C can be filled fairly easily.  First of all, I think we overrate them.  I don't think the difference between a Roger Duffy/Jonathan Godwin at C and a Mawae/Mangold is worth paying a crazy premium.  Second, there are guys available every year that step in and do the job.  That being said - we have seen pathetic individual play from interior linemen torpedo the offense a few times (Wesley Johnson, Adrien Clarke).  They need to address it, but I am  not sure paying a king's ransom for Paradis was the way to go.  Mosley does seem to be the kind of guy that isn't going to quit once he gets paid.

There seem to be a bunch of nice looking centers in the draft, too. Paradis seems like a bad deal all around: older, injured, cast off from a bad team. I hate paying guys like that. Trade down, get a two, then draft, like, Elgton Jenkins.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Let's play a game:  We lost our #2 and #3 CBs and replaced them with? 

We drafted Parry Nickerson and we have the #3 pick in the 2019 NFL draft...Morris Claiborne wasn't all that good and free agency is far from over. 

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

He’s not wrong. The only surprising thing about this offseason is that Maccagnan didn’t give $85 million to an ILB sooner.

I didn't expect you and your ilk to admit defeat.  I'm taking solace in watching how quickly you guys are changing the narrative.  Scrambling like roaches to come up with reasons why this is all bad news.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We drafted Parry Nickerson and we have the #3 pick in the 2019 NFL draft...Morris Claiborne wasn't all that good and free agency is far from over. 

If they go into the 2019 season with Parry Nickerson and Greedy Williams, I am going to be pissed.  So will you, it will just take a bit longer.

Archived