MLB CJ Mosely To the Jets

Team archer

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That's some serious cash.  

I will let others worry about if he's worth it.  The Jets have gotten A LOT better the last few days!

We're certainly spending our available cap space.

"Better" on paper, as well.

Actually better?  We'll have to see, the games aren't played in March and names don't win games.

7 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Don't want to dampen the mood but don't expect a huge market for him.

The only thing that makes Lee attractive is that he's only got $1.8 due to him this year.  A team that trades for him can pick up his 5th year option (which would be way more expensive) but if they don't like what they see during the year they can always cut him or negotiate a better long term deal.

Either way, there could be some interest, but I wouldn't bet on anything more than a 5th rounder for him.

45 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is true. 

The only issue I have with Mosley is that we have not filled center and if it came down to overpaying to force Paradis hand or overpaying to  force Mosley to leave Baltimore I would have paid for the other position. 

Do i think we will have a ferocious defense with Mosley and Barr - yes I do. But unless we find a trade down partner it will be hard to find a center in the draft.  There are 3 legit ones (Bradbury, Elton Jenkins and Eric McCoy all of whom should be gone by the 3rd round. The one hope is McCoy makes it to the 3rd but it’s a crap shoot. 

You assume the two are mutually exclusive. No evidence of that. Woody's got plenty of $.

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

We have the best LBer corps in the NFL suddenly. Imagine we draft Allen? 

When was the last we had that kind of firepower. Wild. 

Hey. There you are. I can see Barr when we're in a 4-3, down in a 3 point stance at end. My feeling is if that's true, we might draft a Sweat, Ferrill, or a Gary, to play the other side. Thoughts

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Questioning the moves of a GM who has won 13 games the past three years is trolling? Sorry. Not going anywhere. Someone here has to see the bigger picture. This is desperaration at its ugliest. You don’t like my opinions? There’s a block function.  

If we're gonna spend big, I'm at least glad we're getting quality players.  Macc still sucks, and I have little confidence he'll nail the draft.  After all, our draft failures over the last 4 years put us in this position to begin with.  But I thought we'd end up overpaying a lot of "B" level free agents.  So far, the only pickup I've disagreed with was Crowder. 

3 hours ago, tfine said:

You say desperation like it’s a bad thing. All teams should be “desperate” to win. What did you expect us to do? Not sign anybody just so we don’t look “desperate”? If improving the team and making the playoffs is being labeled desperate then I hope we are the most desperate team out there. 

Overspending just to get a WC appearance this year and then fall apart in Year 2 and beyond was not ideal, and my biggest fear.

But I don't see that based on the moves made thus far.  With Barr and Mosley at age 26 and 27, we just grabbed 2 guys that will be cornerstone pieces to our defense for perhaps the next 5+ years.  We needed to get guys who will be here long after Maccagnan was gone, and that's what we've done so far.  That's encouraging. 

30 minutes ago, Pac said:

I didn't expect you and your ilk to admit defeat.  I'm taking solace in watching how quickly you guys are changing the narrative.  Scrambling like roaches to come up with reasons why this is all bad news.

I was up all night trying to think of a reason why it’s not so great that we have to give $100+ million to a pair of guys who have a combined 22 sacks in 148 combined games, and I came up empty

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

They are paying $30M a year for guys with a combined 22 sacks over 5 seasons.  That's like 4.5 sacks a season for both of them.  So glad we have addressed our pass rushing issues. 

I know for some reason I refuse to believe that Anthony Barr will suddenly become Derrick Thomas under Gregg Williams, but the Jets had more sacks than the Browns last season and the Browns had Myles Garrett. 

This is where I’m at too. The Jets’ biggest needs are clearly all offense right now. They had a ton of cap space and the #3 pick in the draft, and those resources are apparently going towards LB’s and DL. Mosley and Barr are fine players and they will make the defense more bearable but it’s not promising for Darnold after the first day of this offseason. 

Maybe Bowles wasn’t the entire problem. 

3 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

I don’t see it as complaining - just bc I don’t agree with paying an inside lb who isn’t a great cover guy 17m. 

I’d have allocated that money to Morse/Paradis instead. Or even Bell. 

Do I have to celebrate every move Macc makes this off-season? I hope it turns out to be a great move but to me this reeks of a GM who is in self preservation mode.  

You think this cost us Paradis?  I don't.

Paradis ought to be the final marquee signing we make.  Stay away from Le'Veon and let your O-Line do the heavy lifting. 

Overspending just to get a WC appearance this year and then fall apart in Year 2 and beyond was not ideal, and my biggest fear.
But I don't see that based on the moves made thus far.  With Barr and Mosley at age 26 and 27, we just grabbed 2 guys that will be cornerstone pieces to our defense for perhaps the next 5+ years.  We needed to get guys who will be here long after Maccagnan was gone, and that's what we've done so far.  That's encouraging. 
Agree ... This is akin to Farrior going to the Steelers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If we're gonna spend big, I'm at least glad we're getting quality players.  Macc still sucks, and I have little confidence he'll nail the draft.  After all, our draft failures over the last 4 years put us in this position to begin with.  But I thought we'd end up overpaying a lot of "B" level free agents.  So far, the only pickup I've disagreed with was Crowder. 

I just don’t think it’s the proper way to build a team. You don’t see perennial contenders having to make big splashes in FA like this. I haven’t really loved any of the signings but the Jets cupboard is so bare that they have to. I still think it’s a barely .500 teams as there are still gaping holes. 

Man reading through this post... Some people are never happy... The Jets don't make moves: "WTF! Why are they sitting on their hands! Unacceptable!"... The Jets make move: "WTF! I can't believe they're spending this money! Unacceptable!"

Anyway, this is about two things I think... Production and finding a leader on that side of the ball. 

Leonard Williams is too quiet, and Jamal Adams is more of a motivator than a guy who can line people up and yell at others to get into position... 

That's a hard thing to quantify of course. But I like it. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I just don’t think it’s the proper way to build a team. You don’t see perennial contenders having to make big splashes in FA like this. I haven’t really loved any of the signings but the Jets cupboard is so bare that they have to. I still think it’s a barely .500 teams as there are still gaping holes. 

You're right; you can't build a team through FA.  But when you have $100 million, you have to spend it.  The key will be Mac's draft this year.  Last year was pretty good.  There are still some question marks, but if some of those question marks don't pan out, and the draft does not go well outside of round 1, Mac will have to go.  You simply cannot keep whiffing at the draft.  The Jets have had a history of that.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

The back tracking and excuse making is fantastic...  as if it hasn't been common knowledge of what year 3 of the rebuild  would look like.

Welcome to the thunderdome bitches.

Draft poorly for 4 years.  Spend gobs of money entering Year 5.  All part of the plan. 

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is where I’m at too. The Jets’ biggest needs are clearly all offense right now. They had a ton of cap space and the #3 pick in the draft, and those resources are apparently going towards LB’s and DL. Mosley and Barr are fine players and they will make the defense more bearable but it’s not promising for Darnold after the first day of this offseason. 

Maybe Bowles wasn’t the entire problem. 

To be fair... How many offense FA's came off the books yesterday (and this morning)? Not too many... Lots of defensive players did though. There was clearly a run on them here. Most of the top 25ish FAs were all defensive guys.

Now that those are getting scooped up, I would expect to see the league start tagging offensive players soon. 

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

This is earth shaking. The Jets are getting the players they are targeting

Go Mac

Further proof that money talks.  Everything else falls by the wayside when you get an offer you can't refuse.  Unless its Buffalo.  No one wants to go to Buffalo. 

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Mosley is the one overspend so far.  Keep banging that drum.

Crowder.

And overspending on one defensive player (who isn't a pass rusher or corner) to this degree is pretty nuts.  I still like the move but...damn. 

I get that supporting Macc on everything to oppose the "haters" is kind of your shtick, but still.  There has to be part of your brain that admits there are things to knock about this offseason thus far.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

the Jets model- be bad, accrue cap, overspend on non premium positions that hit FA because they’re non premium positions. Until the Jets start drafting well it will just be this perpetual cycle of maybe getting a WC and then falling back. 

Big Huge difference between now and the last 10 years.......

without that QB it didn't matter how much we spent, we were never going to be competitive.  Now is the time to spend that money when we don't have to pay Sam $35/million a year.  

What I like about our moves is that we're spending it on Pro Bowl level guys who are still in the prime of their careers.

We're not spending it on guys looking at their 3rd contract when their best years are already passed.

Just now, Bruce Harper said:

This or a mid round pick.

Coming off a career year, I'd be surprised if the Jets couldn't get something of value for him. Maybe a 3rd or a player swap at a position of need a la the Browns Giants Vernon trade. 

4 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t understand why we needed CJ Mosley so badly we had to pay him $17 million.

I have to agree. Mosley is a great upgrade. I love the player, but I don’t like the money in this deal. Would have preferred to take an extra million or two each year and give it to Paradis to lock him up. 

Archived