Jets Draft Grade(s) from various sources...

Just now, sec101row23 said:

Edoga was great value where he was taken.  Probably an A- to be honest.  There are a lot of “ifs” regarding Polite however.  The Jets did their homework on him, brought him in for a visit so they must feel comfortable with his issues.  

If we could acquire another 4 or 5 today, what do you think about your guy Austin Bryant? Think people are sleeping on him a bit.

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Edoga was great value where he was taken.  Probably an A- to be honest.  There are a lot of “ifs” regarding Polite however.  The Jets did their homework on him, brought him in for a visit so they must feel comfortable with his issues.  

Just read they have a former Florida staff member on the jets, who factored into the process.  

Honestly based on polite’s comments it sound like he got bad advice in the pre draft process.  His tape is amazing.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Huh that’s funny because I see the “experts” gave us an A- and a B which is good but OH WAIT I GOOGLED THE WRONG SHlT that was for Idzik’s 2014 draft. HOW DO YOU BOOMERS LACK ANY SELF AWARENESS WALK INTO THE OCEAN ALREADY IT’S OVER FOR YOU. OVERRRRRR

7E6AF12F-2E6F-4077-A45F-E7F630C50A45.png

42DD4A61-98F5-4791-82F6-F155AF1E45F3.png

But wait, you told us the other day it was a great draft (2014) and he couldn’t have done any better, I’m so confused?

• Upvote 2

Just now, section314 said:

If we could acquire another 4 or 5 today, what do you think about your guy Austin Bryant? Think people are sleeping on him a bit.

He was the forgotten man on that D-line.  Depends who’s on the board though.   I’d rather a RB or OG/C prospect in the 5th, if that’s what he trades for.  

These are great draft picks. 

There is more to managing a team than making the picks but this is certainly an improvement. 

I'm really glad we didn't trade assets to get back in the 2nd round. 

Glad also that we seem to be drafting potential over safety. Take shots at potential starters rather than sure backups. 

I think we will sign Steve Wisniewski but we will smartly wait until FA signing period is over. Comp picks are important. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Macc also mentioned about Polite that it helped that a current Jets scouting employee worked at Florida when Polite was in college

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Grading a draft before a single drafted player takes a single snap is stupid.

If Williams is a beast in the middle, and Polite is his tape not his combine, and our D is top 5, it's an A.

If Williams is just another guy in the middle, and Polite really was just a natural talent guy who lacks what it take to improve at the pro level, and our D is in the 20's like the past few years, it's a C or D.

And if Darnold get hurts behind our patchwork O-Line, or we continue to be unable to move the ball or score points (i.e. ranked in the bottom 5 of NFL Offenses), one could say the draft grade is also a C or D for going D when we needed so much, so obviously, on Offense.

But we won't know for quite some time yet.

On-paper draft grades are just silly.  Draft "experts" judging others by their own Draft Expertness, lol.

Agree 100%, but it’s no different than the petulant temper tantrums being thrown that this is the worst draft ever, also before anyone plays a single snap

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Huh that’s funny because I see the “experts” gave us an A- and a B which is good but OH WAIT I GOOGLED THE WRONG SHlT that was for Idzik’s 2014 draft. HOW DO YOU BOOMERS LACK ANY SELF AWARENESS WALK INTO THE OCEAN ALREADY IT’S OVER FOR YOU. OVERRRRRR

7E6AF12F-2E6F-4077-A45F-E7F630C50A45.png

42DD4A61-98F5-4791-82F6-F155AF1E45F3.png

Whatever happened to this Calvin Pryor?  Sounds like he was a great player.  Is he in the AAF?  Maybe the women's lingerie league?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NoBowles said:

But wait, you told us the other day it was a great draft (2014) and he couldn’t have done any better, I’m so confused?

You’re confused because you live in a land-locked Rust Belt ghost state with bad tap water. Improvise. Walk into Lake Michigan.

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Just read they have a former Florida staff member on the jets, who factored into the process.  

Honestly based on polite’s comments it sound like he got bad advice in the pre draft process.  His tape is amazing.

I think it’s a combination of things.  He interviewed poorly too, I don’t think that’s from bad advice.  We’ll see, if he’s only going to effective at around 235 then he might have some issues at edge.   He supposedly put on 20 pounds and weighed in at 258.  What’s his ideal play weight?  I don’t know.   There’s some talent in there somewhere, just a matter of him wanting to do it.  

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Agree 100%, but it’s no different than the petulant temper tantrums being thrown that this is the worst draft ever, also before anyone plays a single snap

Yes, but let's be honest, too many people are in full hyperbole mode at this point, all-in and striking down any doubters, or all-in, and crushing any hopefuls.

Truth, as always, is in the middle someplace.

I don't particularly favor the direction the Organization has chosen to go this draft/offseason (i.e. IMO all-in on Defense, limited investment in the Offense, especially the O-Line) but it is what it is.  We're quite a bit better....on paper.....so we'll just have to see.

If Darnold gets hurt, Bell isn't who he was, or our recievers fail to impress yet again, I'll be dissapointed.  

If our D isn't Top-5 with all this investment and Greg Williams (who I like alot and supported hiring) leading it, I'll be dissapointed.

We'll just have to see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You’re confused because you live in a land-locked Rust Belt ghost state with bad tap water. Improvise. Walk into Lake Michigan.

I live in central jersey and I have well water, with a whole house osmosis filtration system, would be an awful long walk into Lake Michigan.... but you may have convinced me....

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

He was the forgotten man on that D-line.  Depends who’s on the board though.   I’d rather a RB or OG/C prospect in the 5th, if that’s what he trades for.  

I think it was on Thehuddlereport about a week before the draft, one of their scouts moved him into the top 8-10 edge guy list, and said when all said and done, may be one of top 3-4 guys. Absolutely loved him. Said he played hurt most of last year hurt.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, but let's be honest, too many people are in full hyperbole mode at this point, all-in and striking down any doubters, or all-in, and crushing any hopefuls.

Truth, as always, is in the middle someplace.

I don't particularly favor the direction the Organization has chosen to go this draft/offseason (i.e. IMO all-in on Defense, limited investment in the Offense, especially the O-Line) but it is what it is.  We're quite a bit better....on paper.....so we'll just have to see.

If Darnold gets hurt, Bell isn't who he was, or our recievers fail to impress yet again, I'll be dissapointed.  

If our D isn't Top-5 with all this investment and Greg Williams (who I like) leading it, I'll be dissapointed.

We'll just have to see.

It all depends on your perspective, I don’t love the direction either, but I feel like for the first time in a long time, we have professional coaches to give their opinions. I’ll give them a chance. There are plenty who are doing the exact opposite of being homers, and it’s the usual too cool for school crew. I also agree the truth is usually in the middle

13 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Polite. a risk worth taking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t understand this.  Maybe because I’m thinking as a USC person, but the school grooms these guys the moment they step foot on campus to deal with the media, how to speak and present themselves in a positive light.  What to say, what not to say.  

There is a whole media team just to groom these kids .  They are not sheltered from the media, it’s part of their education to prepare them for life as a professional athlete.

3 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

I don’t understand this.  Maybe because I’m thinking as a USC person, but the school grooms these guys the moment they step foot on campus to deal with the media, how to speak and present themselves in a positive light.  What to say, what not to say.  

There is a whole media team just to groom these kids .  They are not sheltered from the media, it’s part of their education to prepare them for life as a professional athlete.

I know what you mean, yet, he gained weight specifically for the combine even though he didn’t play at that weight.  So i guess there are guys who just don’t get the right coaching when they need it.  But his comments after being drafted are impressive.  The talent is undeniable.  And he did it in the SEC.

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think it was on Thehuddlereport about a week before the draft, one of their scouts moved him into the top 8-10 edge guy list, and said when all said and done, may be one of top 3-4 guys. Absolutely loved him. Said he played hurt most of last year hurt.

He was dinged up a lot.  Also they had true freshman Xavier Thomas rotating in there as well.   We’ll be discussing Thomas in a couple years, he’s good.