Gastineau

14 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hate to see the plight that Gastineau is going through, but throughout his life he was a $****y  teammate.

-Often ignored his responsibilities to take the glorious route

-Crossed the picket line

-Quit on his team in the middle of a season for a personal manner

Good post.  The memory gets dull after so many years.  Definitely had issues...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Gastineau was my favorite player growing up. He used to live a few miles from my home (in a pretty boring town in Long Island) and kids would come to school with stories of bumping into him at a random store. I always got the sense that he was a bit of a troubled soul. Feel horrible that his health is now failing him. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Good post.  The memory gets dull after so many years.  Definitely had issues...

LAWMEN SAY VIOLENT GASTINEAU’S AN ‘O.J. WAITING TO HAPPEN’

May 14, 2000 | 4:00am

As a New York Jets superstar, Mark Gastineau pummeled quarterbacks by day and first wife Lisa by night.

In the past two years, he’s switched exclusively to women.

Gastineau’s attacks in Manhattan and Queens have left his second wife, Patricia, and two of his girlfriends bruised and terrified, according to court documents and witness accounts.

“He’s the next O.J. waiting to happen,” one law-enforcement source said recently of the hulking, former defensive end.

But each time he’s arrested and charged, Gastineau has routinely done one of his gleeful “sack dances” over the city’s criminal-justice system – and the system has done little more than wink back.

In fact, Gastineau, 42, is AWOL from Rikers Island today – sentenced to do weekend service for violating probation – but no one is looking for him.

“Mark is a sick man,” said Patricia, who left him last summer after he beat and choked her. Since then, he has repeatedly violated court orders of protection.

“But he’s a big charmer,” she added.

Back in the mid-’80s, Mark Gastineau entertained Jets fans with his unparalleled skill and flamboyance. His 1984 record of 22 quarterback sacks in a single season still stands.

At his career pinnacle, he drove to practice on Long Island in a Rolls Royce Corniche convertible. He left first wife Lisa and his infant daughter home while he squired his girlfriend, actress Brigitte Nielsen, to games.

He wore a full-length ranch mink and a gold earring in the shape of a lightning bolt clutched in a fist. He popped steroids, posed for Playgirl, hawked electric razors and underwear on TV, and got into brawls at Studio 54.

But if his career were reduced to a single image, it would be of the leonine-maned athlete, No. 99, doing his famous “sack dance” over the battered body of a fallen quarterback – spinning and leaping with his fists pumping the air in triumph.

Now, with no job, a broken marriage, and an admitted addiction to prescription painkillers and diet pills, Gastineau himself has told judges in the past weeks, “I really reached rock bottom.”

Still, it’s been a cushy landing – and almost consequence-free.

Since 1998, Gastineau has repeatedly violated plea agreements by getting re-arrested. He has ignored orders of protection. He has skipped bail. He has failed to report to court, or to his probation officer, or to his domestic-violence counselor.

Yet time and again, as he stood in courtrooms in both boroughs, he has avoided serving all but a few scattered days in jail.

This has happened because all three victims stopped cooperating with Queens and Manhattan prosecutors, because the prosecutors then gave up – accepting plea deals or dismissing the charges entirely – and because a succession of judges failed to throw him in jail even when required to under prior plea deals.

“I look at the system and I’m just flabbergasted,” said Lisa.

“When is someone going to stop him – when he murders someone?” said a woman who witnessed one of Gastineau’s attacks, and who calls the former all-pro “a sadistic bastard.”

In January, he was sentenced to serve 16 three-day weekends in jail after violating probation by failing to meet with his probation officer and skipping court-ordered domestic-violence classes.

Of the 16 weekends, “he only made the first three – and hasn’t turned up since,” said a city Correction Department spokesman.

Gastineau “underestimated the emotional difficulties of that process of every Friday showing up at Rikers Island,” defense lawyer Richard Davis explained to a sympathetic Judge Kirke Bartley in Manhattan Criminal Court.

Instead of jail – in an unusual arrangement approved by Bartley in Manhattan on April 28 and by Queens Hearing Officer Maurice Brill last Wednesday – Gastineau has spent the last three weeks in what his lawyer described in court as “a residential program of Christian discipleship” in The Bronx.

He has promised to spend a year at the Hope Christian Center on University Avenue, where he rises at 6:30 each morning for chores and Bible study, then spends the afternoon finishing furniture.

The program is voluntary. Its doors are unlocked. It isn’t a court-sanctioned domestic-violence program, according to a spokeswoman for the state court system.

And at least one prosecutor went ballistic on learning Gastineau could stay there instead of going to jail.

“The defendant’s major problem in life is domestic violence, violence against Lisa Gastineau, Brigitte Nielsen, Patty Gastineau and two other women in Queens,” Manhattan prosecutor Angela Albertus told Bartley on April 28.

“I don’t see how Bible classes and furniture finishing will address the problems of prescription drug addiction and domestic violence.”

Domestic-violence experts are also livid at the arrangement. “It sounds like O.J. being allowed to have counseling over the phone,” said Boston lawyer Nancy Van Tine, an expert on domestic violence committed by athletes.

“He should have been thrown in jail – then afterward he can find God and finish furniture,” said Kristian Miccio, who teaches about domestic violence at Western State University of Law in Fullerton, Calif.

But Gastineau, his pastors, his family, and even Patricia say they are hopeful.

“He’s doing quite well; he’s getting off the pills, and we’re all pulling for him,” Patricia said last week.

“I’m getting back my life and putting my life in order,” Gastineau said last week as he left Queens Criminal Court to return to the Hope Center.

It sounds eerily like Gastineau’s words as he left Manhattan Criminal Court in January 1999, after again being spared a jail sentence for admittedly beating Patricia.

“I’m happy that I’m taking care of my responsibilities,” Gastineau told reporters on the courthouse steps.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hate to see the plight that Gastineau is going through, but throughout his life he was a $****y  teammate.

Yeah, 1 of thousands of players to do that. He also took some bad penalties and drew attention to himself. In other words, he was your prototypical 2019 NFL player. We could use another Gastineau. 

20 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Crossed the picket line

Yeah, and so did Marty Lyons, Klecko, Mike Webster and a hundred other players. But for some reason many here only remember Gastineau. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, 1 of thousands of players to do that. He also took some bad penalties and drew attention to himself. In other words, he was your prototypical 2019 NFL player. We could use another Gastineau. 

Yeah, and so did Marty Lyons, Klecko, Mike Webster and a hundred other players. But for some reason many here only remember Gastineau. 

Admittedly, I have done a hatchet job on Gastineau as a player here. But, also his personal life was a wreck and he beat on women. And was a crappy dad and person in general/

It still sucks as I am sure part of what he has become is because of the sport he played and the toll it takes on your body and more  so, your brain. The steroids he crushed did not help him either.

For anyone that has not watched the 30 for 30 story on Junior Seau, I highly recommend it. It is an education of what this sport can do to you. So much so, I don't see how this wlsl be a sport in 20 years. I would forbid any of my kids from playing the game. That is just me based on the information that is now known.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Crossed the picket line

I get that Gastineau was a grandstanding me-first type, but I don't look at him as a bad guy for putting his wife before football.  The fact that it was Red Sonja and they were some kind of cocaine fueled wannabe super couple when he was still married and she was 15 minutes out of her marriage with Rocky provided poor optics, but I would quit my job and/or football for my wife.  Family first. If it weren't for the other items, retiring because his fiance had uterine cancer would be looked at as noble. They have a kid together. 

It did hurt. He averaged a sack a game under Bud Carson that year and things were looking up after the previous years strike induced disappointment.  On the other hand, he had been shut out in his last 2 games, both losses, and the team was at 3-3-1 when he left.  They won the next two, but didn't go anywhere. We ended up with the consolation prize of Al Toon keeping the Giants out of the playoffs. @nyjunc probably has a very specific memory of the team and will argue with me and others about minor points, but that is my recollection.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that Gastineau was a grandstanding me-first type, but I don't look at him as a bad guy for putting his wife before football.  The fact that it was Red Sonja and they were some kind of cocaine fueled wannabe super couple when he was still married and she was 15 minutes out of her marriage with Rocky provided poor optics, but I would quit my job and/or football for my wife.  Family first. If it weren't for the other items, retiring because his fiance had uterine cancer would be looked at as noble. They have a kid together. 

It did hurt. He averaged a sack a game under Bud Carson that year and things were looking up after the previous years strike induced disappointment.  On the other hand, he had been shut out in his last 2 games, both losses, and the team was at 3-3-1 when he left.  They won the next two, but didn't go anywhere. We ended up with the consolation prize of Al Toon keeping the Giants out of the playoffs. @nyjunc probably has a very specific memory of the team and will argue with me and others about minor points, but that is my recollection.

I believe that Brigitte was his girlfriend, and he was still married to Brittany at the time. My memory may be fuzzy though.

• Thumb Down 1

55 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

-Crossed the picket line

Wrong place wrong time this thread is about his battle with cancer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe that Brigitte was his girlfriend, and he was still married to Brittany at the time. My memory may be fuzzy though.

Guess you didn't read my post.  He was still married, but Lisa was his wife.  Brittny is the daughter.  The a is silent/invisible, maybe they couldn't afford it, like Sheldn couldn't afford the o.  Like me, you also must have missed the reality program.  Red Sonja was his girlfriend/fiance.  They did end up having a child, though the relationship didn't last and decades later he was replaced by Flava Flav.  Yeah boy.

• Upvote 2

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Guess you didn't read my post.  He was still married, but Lisa was his wife.  Brittny is the daughter.  The a is silent/invisible, maybe they couldn't afford it, like Sheldn couldn't afford the o.  Like me, you also must have missed the reality program.  Red Sonja was his girlfriend/fiance.  They did end up having a child, though the relationship didn't last and decades later he was replaced by Flava Flav.  Yeah boy.

I read it, just don't have great comprehension. Forgot that Brittny was the daughter. Thanks for the Gastineau family enlightenment. ?

• Upvote 1

Best sack artist Jets ever had. Could have been HOF.: Stratham would never have broken his record if Farve didn’t hand it to him and Strahan, like the jerk he is, acted like he broke the record which he DIDN'T. That last sack should never have counted! In my eyes Gas holds the all time sack record in a  year.

53F7C950-3EE1-432F-94A6-F655DA0C3A79.jpeg

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 3

52 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No can do, let everyone see them so they can see the person you are. 

Mocking a guy who is battling cancer. 

All I did was tell the truth of his life outside of the football game. Not pretty.  These are the things that follow you in life, if you choose to do them. Nothing removes those stains. He had choices in how he chose to conduct his life.

He did not have choices in his health (unless steroids played a part). That said, I wish him good health in his current battles.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Best sack artist Jets ever had. Could have been HOF.: Stratham would never have broken his record if Farve didn’t hand it to him and Strahan, like the jerk he is, acted like he broke the record which he DIDN'T. That last sack should never have counted! In my eyes Gas holds the all time sack record in a  year.

53F7C950-3EE1-432F-94A6-F655DA0C3A79.jpeg

Pro Keds!

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Admittedly, I have done a hatchet job on Gastineau as a player here. But, also his personal life was a wreck and he beat on women. And was a crappy dad and person in general/

It still sucks as I am sure part of what he has become is because of the sport he played and the toll it takes on your body and more  so, your brain. The steroids he crushed did not help him either.

For anyone that has not watched the 30 for 30 story on Junior Seau, I highly recommend it. It is an education of what this sport can do to you. So much so, I don't see how this wlsl be a sport in 20 years. I would forbid any of my kids from playing the game. That is just me based on the information that is now known.

Kids are playing tackle football too young. My son started playing his sophomore year in high school and was able to play college football. It is a sport that has its risks. Hopefully the helmet changes and other advances will make it safer. But having 8 year olds tackling each other needs to be a thing of the past.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1