KO talking about Harrison

Mavericknyc1980

8 minutes ago, static14 said:
Here’s just the Harrison clip.

Great news.  I'm happy to be completely and incredibly wrong about the Jets needing a Center if this is the case.  I will throw a little water on this though.....Osemele has only worked out with Harrison, he hasn't played with him yet.  And, Harrison may have only looked decent over the last several weeks of the season because of what we had previously.  Anyone would have looked good compared to what Spencer Long was giving us.  The Jets are Harrison's second team after spending 3 years with Indy.  Indy has been investing in OLine for the past several years and it's concerning that he couldn't stick with them when they were really fielding a bad OLine.  He was starting at Center in 2014 and 2015 for them before moving to OG in 2016.

On the positive front - He's now more experienced, he seems to have the confidence of the coaching staff, he'll be playing next to a great Pro in Kelechi Osemele, and he now has one of the best OLine coaches in the NFL in newly hired Frank Pollack.  So like I said, I'll be thrilled to be wrong on this one and would love to see Harrison start 16 games and simply be average for us at Center.

1966048224_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_29_52AM.png.1d6a0d62cc6b1ce1a76191720573eef2.png

1925443538_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_29_29AM.png.b9df23461af3577f63511d9cb10149e5.png

12 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I didn't think Harrison played all that badly last year after he replaced Long.  This is his second year as the center, it makes sense that he will improve on what he did last year.

True, but he played Center for two years in Indy, they then moved him to Guard and then let him walk.  I'm cautiously optimistic and let's be real, anything will be better than what we had over the first half of last season.  Harrison just needs to stay healthy and be an average player.

I'm going back and looking at articles written about Harrison from the 2014 - Spring 2017 period he was with the Colts.  A few interesting ones (pay attention to the dates/timeframes of the articles)...

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/07/26/jonotthan-harrison-will-make-colts-roster/

Why Jonotthan Harrison Will Make The Colts Roster

by Cody Felger2 years ago

Former Indianapolis Colts starting center Jonotthan Harrison has had his ups and downs in two seasons as the team’s center. From bad snaps to flashes of potential, Harrison has been all over the map.

Next for Harrison? A change of positions and a chance to contribute in a different way. During OTA’s in May, Harrison was receiving first-team reps at right guard with Hugh Thornton and Denzelle Good sitting out.

Outside of OTA’s, Harrison has not seen much action at guard. The only other time where Harrison has had any experience other than center is a few quarters in 2014.

Other than that, the guard position is a whole new experience to Harrison:

“It’s a little different,” Harrison said in May about playing guard.

“A little more space, sighting different rules. Playing center, I understand all the rules at all the positions. It’s just going to take practice, film study, correcting myself and just working on any weaknesses that I may have at the position.”

While he is still learning the ropes at guard, there is a good possibility that Harrison makes the roster at his newfound position.

At 6’3″, 311 pounds, Harrison has ideal size for a guard.  He also has tremendous strength and all the physical attributes to be a successful player in the NFL. Harrison now has to work on being consistent, which was a big reason why he was benched in 2013 in favor of A.Q. Shipley and why the Colts chose to draft Ryan Kelly in the first round of this year’s draft.

Another reason why Harrison could more than likely make the final roster is his durability. Last year, Harrison was active for all 16 games, making 9 starts.

Harrison also adds versatility as he can play any position along the interior of the offensive line. The Colts are a team that really values that type of versatility and love to keep players who can do multiple things to help the team.

My reasoning for why I believe Harrison will make a successful transition to guard is the fact that he is still young (24) and is open to a position change. Another reason is that guard, while important to the team, is not the focal point of responsibilities along the line, so there’s not as much added pressure. The reduction of pressure could be huge in building up Harrison’s confidence as a young player.

Overall, I believe that this move is good for Harrison. The reason why this move is helpful to his development is because now, instead of worrying about when to snap the ball, calling huddles, and being “the guy,” Harrison can work on his technique and pour all his focus into becoming the best guard he can be. A lot of the pressure is now off of him.

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/04/28/colts-select-alabama-center-ryan-kelly-with-18th-pick/

Colts select Alabama center Ryan Kelly with 18th pick

The Indianapolis Colts used the 18th pick to shore up their offensive line and hopefully give their franchise QB some extra protection.

With the 18th pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Colts selected Alabama center Ryan Kelly. The Colts have had a revolving door at the center position for the past four seasons and desperately need some consistency when it comes to hiking Andrew Luck the ball.

Kelly was described as the “surest pick in the draft” meaning that he was the least likely to be a bust. The first round might be a bit high for a center, but more often than not centers taken in the first round go on to have great careers.

News about the Colts interest in Kelly peaked earlier in the week with many speculating that this was a done deal if Kelly was still available at 18. The Colts are hoping that Kelly will turn into the next Jeff Saturday and become an anchor on the line for the next decade.

The selection means that the Colts are done trying to start Khaled Holmes or Jonotthan Harrison. Neither player seemed to truly want the starting position and both dealt with injuries over the past two seasons.

The Colts passed over a number of intriguing defensive talents who were still available at 18. UCLA linebacker Myles Jack fell after reports about the severity of his knee injury led to reports of him possibly need microfracture surgery down the road. Pass rushers Shaw Lawson and Noah Spence were also available as was linebacker Darron Lee.

The Colts stuck with their big board and took the best player available here. Kelly is more of a sure thing than any of those defensive players in any case who were ranked highly based more on potential.

We’ll have more on Kelly tomorrow as well as coverage of the rest of the draft.

332293139_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_57_51AM.png.3434145298b12ed314a8d8448f36705a.png

How about what KO said about the strength & conditioning coach for the Jets (Very Positive) and what he had to say about how hard it seemed he was working compared to other Jets in the beginning & how it seemed to change quickly from a bit of a lazy vibe at Florham park to guys stepping it up! 

They call that wiping off the Todd Bowles rust! Makes you realize why Jamal Adams said we need some more Dawgs. KO is definitely a DAWG, Mosley..DAWG, Crowder? DAWG, Bell? DAWG (you can't touch the ball 400 times in an NFL season & not be a DAWG), Quincy?...DAWG Adams? DAWG, Jenkins, DAWG, Williamson? DAWG, Maye? DAWG..if healthy, H.Anderson? DAWG, Poole? DAWG, draft picks, Quinnen?..DAWG, Polite?..DAWG, Trumaine?..DOG. Oh well.

But, we got a lot of fighters. I think KO will transform the oline, bring them all together, to work harder. Pollack will have everyone on board for 2 goals, protect Sam & make seams for Le'veon. Can't wait.

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How about what KO said about the strength & conditioning coach for the Jets (Very Positive) and what he had to say about how hard it seemed he was working compared to other Jets in the beginning & how it seemed to change quickly from a bit of a lazy vibe at Florham park to guys stepping it up! 

They call that wiping off the Todd Bowles rust! Makes you realize why Jamal Adams said we need some more Dawgs. KO is definitely a DAWG, Mosley..DAWG, Crowder? DAWG, Bell? DAWG (you can't touch the ball 400 times in an NFL season & not be a DAWG), Quincy?...DAWG Adams? DAWG, Jenkins, DAWG, Williamson? DAWG, Maye? DAWG..if healthy, H.Anderson? DAWG, Poole? DAWG, draft picks, Quinnen?..DAWG, Polite?..DAWG, Trumaine?..DOG. Oh well.

But, we got a lot of fighters. I think KO will transform the oline, bring them all together, to work harder. Pollack will have everyone on board for 2 goals, protect Sam & make seams for Le'veon. Can't wait.

lol

I agree with your post, there's a transformation going on here.  KO will be the leader of the line, there's no doubt about it.

59 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I didn't think Harrison played all that badly last year after he replaced Long.  This is his second year as the center, it makes sense that he will improve on what he did last year.

I think a lot depends of what kind of center the coaches want.  Not comparing but Kevin Mawai played under 300 and pulled like a guard.  He was a center brainiac, played a little dirty and got away with all kinds of holding.  Other teams like guys who are unmoveable.

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Woof.

We as fans are almost to a man (and women) concerned about the O-Liine. Harrison is not an All-Pro but he may not have too be if big if others step up their game.  Till full contract practices and pre-season games start no one has a true feel for how good or bad they will play as a unit. Remember they are a unit not just 5 individuals. 

One thing about Harrison(and Winters that matter) is that they are much better suited for a power blocking scheme than the previous zone scheme.  Both a pretty meh(at best) moving laterally, but if they get their mitts on ya, they can finish.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Jeez, it's almost as if some of us havent been saying this all along...

Almost as if they failed to bag Paradis, or move around the draft, and now their having the new acquisition that fans are happy with try to smooth out the optics.

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Almost as if they failed to bag Paradis, or move around the draft, and now their having the new acquisition that fans are happy with try to smooth out the optics.

Are you actually talking yourself into believing that?

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Great news.  I'm happy to be completely and incredibly wrong about the Jets needing a Center if this is the case.  I will throw a little water on this though.....Osemele has only worked out with Harrison, he hasn't played with him yet.  And, Harrison may have only looked decent over the last several weeks of the season because of what we had previously.  Anyone would have looked good compared to what Spencer Long was giving us.  The Jets are Harrison's second team after spending 3 years with Indy.  Indy has been investing in OLine for the past several years and it's concerning that he couldn't stick with them when they were really fielding a bad OLine.  He was starting at Center in 2014 and 2015 for them before moving to OG in 2016.

On the positive front - He's now more experienced, he seems to have the confidence of the coaching staff, he'll be playing next to a great Pro in Kelechi Osemele, and he now has one of the best OLine coaches in the NFL in newly hired Frank Pollack.  So like I said, I'll be thrilled to be wrong on this one and would love to see Harrison start 16 games and simply be average for us at Center.

1966048224_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_29_52AM.png.1d6a0d62cc6b1ce1a76191720573eef2.png

1925443538_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_29_29AM.png.b9df23461af3577f63511d9cb10149e5.png

Let's hope he's a late bloomer. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm going back and looking at articles written about Harrison from the 2014 - Spring 2017 period he was with the Colts.  A few interesting ones (pay attention to the dates/timeframes of the articles)...

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/07/26/jonotthan-harrison-will-make-colts-roster/

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/04/28/colts-select-alabama-center-ryan-kelly-with-18th-pick/

332293139_ScreenShot2019-05-09at11_57_51AM.png.3434145298b12ed314a8d8448f36705a.png

great info.  i was wondering why the dolts move harrison to guard in the first place and it looks like the reason is their drafting of the alabama center.  harrison will now be in a position he's more comfortable in as opposed to guard.

23 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Hope it's true. 

But I can't imagine a situation where KO would come out with. Center? Oh yeah, we're totally boned there. He has to say nice things. 

But he wasn't even asked about it. That's what makes it a bit more promising. He just brought it up himself. 

Who was the Pats center in their Super Bowl win? 

Jonathan Goodwin, a Jet cast off was the center for the Saints Super Bowl win.

The QB can help the oline by gaining experience. Snap cadence, getting out of the huddle, moving the TE to cover up a pass rusher, changing a play to take advantage of a RB in the flat, avoid the rush occasionally with his feet, move up in the pocket, throw the ball away so as to not take a sack. 

FWIW, while everybody is crowing about Osemele being a dawg, I think some Raiders people were concerned that his weight was way down.  Something like 296 from 330.  That might be a benefit for a primarily ZBS, but if that is what he and Harrison were up to, it isn't likely going to help the power game. 

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

This type of stuff will get you the rosy best case scenario on these guys, but think of the Chad Hansen articles from last year's camp. Hell, go back to the ones when Ijalana was expected to take over as their LT.  It does help counteract the people that look at guys and automatically say that everybody sucks if they weren't stars at large colleges that went high in the draft. 

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

thats all great and everything....but are you saying they are DAWG's? i still a bit unclear....

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

here is the hour and a half show...enjoyed it

I actually had time to sit and listen to this. It's a really interesting interview. Couple of things:

• Gruden sounds like an ego-maniac, and that tid-bit about wanting to win with "his guys" because he's so often criticized about winning the SB with Dungy's Tampa team is rich.
  • A lot of really interesting insights into the human side of being a player with no control of what "they" do with you or your friends
  • The bit about how he was like "uhhhhh" about the Jets when he first got here, and experienced the locker room dynamic was alarming.
  • It made me feel better that he said it's changed over time already, that was reassuring, but I still wonder about the carryover of chemistry from Rex to Bowles and now Gase. The former 2 were awful for the locker room.
  • How he talked about the "grown men" in the Baltimore locker room made me envious. 
  • Ozzie Newsome might be the best GM of all time. I mean sh*t.
  • I loved how he talked about the Jets current strength and conditioning coach. Loved it.
  • I also love how transparent he is throughout the whole conversation. Like when he said, "a lot of guys said he should have been starting center (Harrison) last year"
  • It's an indictment of Bowles, Bates and Mac that he wasn't... but we already knew they were pigs for not making the change sooner.
  • Really nice to hear him talk about Derek Carr. Also the Redskins/Raiders game and the whole Trump thing... and how so much crap is all media trolling.

Thanks for posting.

43 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, while everybody is crowing about Osemele being a dawg, I think some Raiders people were concerned that his weight was way down.  Something like 296 from 330.  That might be a benefit for a primarily ZBS, but if that is what he and Harrison were up to, it isn't likely going to help the power game. 

I read that we'll be running some form of ZBS. 

Archived