Fan favorites that had forum fanboys....and then never amounted to anything!

1 minute ago, CTM said:

You're beating this drum pretty hard. The reality is the vast majority of Jets fans love players like Martin and Namath. There will never be 100% unison on any sports opinion and both guys were far from flawless, so maybe just ignore the handful of folks who point out the flaws if it hurts your butt so much.

I don’t think anyone “hates” Curtis Martin, but it’s tough to consider him an all-time Mt Rushmore Jet because of the AFC Championship Game. I mean, is it not fair to weigh that in when discussing his legacy here? 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jeb Putzier?

Oh wow....I remember him.

Another backup from another team that we "stole" in Free Agency was Matthew Hatchette, WR from the Vikings. Big and fast, he was going to be a superstar for us once he got a chance to start.

He was big and fast. Unfortunately, he couldn't change direction or catch - this proved to be something of a problem.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think anyone “hates” Curtis Martin, but it’s tough to consider him an all-time Mt Rushmore Jet because of the AFC Championship Game. I mean, is it not fair to weigh that in when discussing his legacy here? 

100% that's my point. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Literally no one but me, on JN, JI or anywhere else, went in on Ramsey in any way. \\:D/

Unlike the thousands of posters who went all in hard on say, Geno Smith, for example, and now conveniently forget that fact. :rolleyes:

LaMont Jordan is a really good one, we (as a fanbase) have always seemingly loved the #2 RB who shows a spark in limited duty.  Like many I thought he could be a thing.

We have dozens of posters who routinely and extensively tongue bathe our undrafted Free Agent #8 camp WR's every single year.  Too many forgotten nobodies to mention tbqh, in that list of future HOF WR's that never was.

And every backup QB we've ever had had their fans who thought  "if only".  Most were godawful, was worse than say, Fitzpatrick (who gets alot of guff these days still, for a guy who had one of our all-time best QB seasons, tbqh).  Sure his second year was devastated by injuries and one exceptionally bad game, but he's hardly bad enough to qualify for this list, especially given lolMcCown replaced him here and did piss all.

Interestingly, I don't feel like defensive players here get the same type of hype without backing it up first.  Sure, a few folks go all in on draft picks then clam up once they fail, and Bitonti is as famous for DRob as I am for Ramsey, lol, but generally IMO Jets Fan overhype of losers is mostly limited to the Offense.

Says exactly how pathetic our offense has been that this is the case for so long tbqh.

I touched the jersey. Does that count? 

My fave was Stevie Anderson. We gave that son of a bitch # 88 for the first time after toon I believe.

We were calling him Forrest Gump for how fast he was. He’d light up the preseason with Trudeau I think it was and then do absolutely nothing during the season.

He was David Clowny before Clowny was Clowny

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mr. Fall Down in Coverage.

If I recall correctly, @Bleedin Green had some things to say about him over the years.  lol. 

To be fair, played maybe the best game I've ever seen a Jet S play in the WC win over Colts in 2011. Played like friggin Ronnie Lott. But, like "Moonlight Graham" so famously said in Field of Dreams..."I always thought that there would be other days. Turns out, that was the day."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How is Hackenberg already forgotten?

Finding your way out of the league in less than 3 years without playing a single snap in a regular season game will do that to you. 

He also went 32 for 62 (51.6 %) with 0 TD's and 3 INT's in the AAF, and was dropped below Zach Mettenberg, Brandon Silvers and Johnny Manziel on the Memphis Express depth chart.  lol. 

Silvers, btw, played his college ball at Troy, and his only NFL experience is getting signed by the Jets on April 10, only to be waived 8 days ago. 

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Go watch that game and tell me where he was supposed to get his yards?  Our OL was dominated that game.  Curtis is obviously on our Mt. Rushmore

15 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

My fave was Stevie Anderson. We gave that son of a bitch # 88 for the first time after toon I believe.

We were calling him Forrest Gump for how fast he was. He’d light up the preseason with Trudeau I think it was and then do absolutely nothing during the season.

He was David Clowny before Clowny was Clowny

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

That's a good one, Stevie had a great preseason in 1994(I think it was 94). 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Favre wasn't good with us, he actually sabotaged our season.

He did have us at 8-3, but then you are right, his selfishness cost us the season. Then, he squeals to the NFL, we get fined $250,000, and he tries to act like the good guy by saying the league was wrong. F-him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty much all of them have been covered here already.  But I'll add LaMont Jordan and Dewayne Robertson to the list.

Just now, Doggin94it said:

Dewayne Robertson.  Took years for Bit to recognize he was a bust; hell, he selected him in the All-Time draft one year

@bitonti

2 minutes ago, section314 said:

He did have us at 8-3, but then you are right, his selfishness cost us the season. Then, he squeals to the NFL, we get fined $250,000, and he tries to act like the good guy by saying the league was wrong. F-him.

We had an incredibly weak schedule and he played poorly most of that season outside of 3-4 games.  It always amazes me when jet fans think highly of favre but bash Vinny, Chad, Sanchez- 3 guys who actually did something for our team.

32 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Oh wow....I remember him.

Another backup from another team that we "stole" in Free Agency was Matthew Hatchette, WR from the Vikings. Big and fast, he was going to be a superstar for us once he got a chance to start.

He was big and fast. Unfortunately, he couldn't change direction or catch - this proved to be something of a problem.

We never signed him. Iirc, we all wanted him but Bradway whiffed. This was around the same time of the Antoine Winfield debacle so everyone was pissed.

4 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Dewayne Robertson.  Took years for Bit to recognize he was a bust; hell, he selected him in the All-Time draft one year

Robertson was good in 2004 but that was it, I don't recall him ever being a fan favorite though.

Just now, T0mShane said:

We never signed him. Iirc, we all wanted him but Bradway whiffed. This was around the same time of the Antoine Winfield debacle so everyone was pissed.

We signed him, it was a low cost/low risk signing.  He didn't do anything for us and we moved on.  Winfield would come along a few years later

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

We signed him, it was a low cost/low risk signing.  He didn't do anything for us and we moved on.  Winfield would come along a few years later

You won’t believe this, nyjunc, but you are incorrect:

His play earned him a 5-year $12.5 million offer sheet from the New York Jets which the Broncos matched.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We had an incredibly weak schedule and he played poorly most of that season outside of 3-4 games.  It always amazes me when jet fans think highly of favre but bash Vinny, Chad, Sanchez- 3 guys who actually did something for our team.

Speaking only for myself, have never bashed Vinny or Chad. No comment on the third guy on this list.?

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

You went all in on Ramsey & your skeptical of Darnold..hmm ?.

No, I'm not skeptical of Darnold.  I haven't been "skeptical" of Darnold.  

He more than showed his positive potential last year, and I said it then, and will repeat it it now.  

Was he my personal favorite in that draft class on draft day and the lead-up to draft day?  No, obviously.  Mayfield was.  Darnold was my #2 of that five horse race. 

That's not being "skeptical", that's preferring one player over another for reasons I will not retype here.

My largest concern with Darnold was and remains his penchant for turnovers.  But with that said he was materially better as a rookie than I would have expected on that front, and have no concern waiting to see how he does with a better unit this year as he continues to develop.