Fan favorites that had forum fanboys....and then never amounted to anything!

First two that sprang to my mind (already mentioned above) were Brett Ratliff and David Clowney ... kings of pre-season!

A lot of people also had a thing for Lamont Jordan and how we never used him because of Martin ... then he went elsewhere (Oakland initially) had one decent year and kind of disappeared (not sure if he got injured?)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pretty much all of them have been covered here already.  But I'll add LaMont Jordan and Dewayne Robertson to the list.

lamont jordan is a good one.  He'd come in a an clean up after Thomas jones and the oline had bludgeoned the other team to death and people thought he was a great starter quality back.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

25 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Patrick Ramsey.

Literally no one but me, on JN, JI or anywhere else, went in on Ramsey in any way. \\:D/

Unlike the thousands of posters who went all in hard on say, Geno Smith, for example, and now conveniently forget that fact. :rolleyes:

LaMont Jordan is a really good one, we (as a fanbase) have always seemingly loved the #2 RB who shows a spark in limited duty.  Like many I thought he could be a thing.

We have dozens of posters who routinely and extensively tongue bathe our undrafted Free Agent #8 camp WR's every single year.  Too many forgotten nobodies to mention tbqh, in that list of future HOF WR's that never was.

And every backup QB we've ever had had their fans who thought  "if only".  Most were godawful, was worse than say, Fitzpatrick (who gets alot of guff these days still, for a guy who had one of our all-time best QB seasons, tbqh).  Sure his second year was devastated by injuries and one exceptionally bad game, but he's hardly bad enough to qualify for this list, especially given lolMcCown replaced him here and did piss all.

Interestingly, I don't feel like defensive players here get the same type of hype without backing it up first.  Sure, a few folks go all in on draft picks then clam up once they fail, and Bitonti is as famous for DRob as I am for Ramsey, lol, but generally IMO Jets Fan overhype of losers is mostly limited to the Offense.

Says exactly how pathetic our offense has been that this is the case for so long tbqh.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

lamont jordan is a good one.  He'd come in a an clean up after Thomas jones and the oline had bludgeoned the other team to death and people thought he was a great starter quality back. 

You mean Curtis Martin?  Jordan and Thomas Jones didn't play together with the Jets, as Jordan got signed by the Raiders in 2005.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Literally no one but me, on JN, JI or anywhere else, went in on Ramsey in any way. \\:D/

Unlike the thousands of posters who went all in hard on say, Geno Smith, for example, and now conveniently forget that fact. :rolleyes:

LaMont Jordan is a really good one, we (as a fanbase) have always seemingly loved the #2 RB who shows a spark in limited duty.  Like many I thought he could be a thing.

We have dozens of posters who routinely and extensively tongue bathe our undrafted Free Agent #8 camp WR's every single year.  Too many forgotten nobodies to mention tbqh, in that list of future HOF WR's that never was.

And every backup QB we've ever had had their fans who thought  "if only".  Most were godawful, was worse than say, Fitzpatrick (who gets alot of guff these days still, for a guy who had one of our all-time best QB seasons, tbqh).  Sure his second year was devastated by injuries and one exceptionally bad game, but he's hardly bad enough to qualify for this list, especially given lolMcCown replaced him here and did piss all.

Interestingly, I don't feel like defensive players here get the same type of hype without backing it up first.  Sure, a few folks go all in on draft picks then clam up once they fail, and Bitonti is as famous for DRob as I am for Ramsey, lol, but generally IMO Jets Fan overhype of losers is mostly limited to the Offense.

Says exactly how pathetic our offense has been that this is the case for so long tbqh.

You went all in on Ramsey & your skeptical of Darnold..hmm ?.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought Jace Amaro would be good because he had elite production in college and tested pretty well at the Combine. He just hated football. Two other guys I liked that washed out: Cedric Houston and Erik Ainge. 

I warned you guys about Jace Amaro. My nephew was an intern for the Jets their last year at Cortland (he was at Cortland for physical therapy), and he told me Amaro had a terrible body, he was soft & had man boobs, no physical strength & he was lazy as hell. Literally couldnt block a paper bag. Go back to that 2014 camp threads, it's all right there. My nephew straight up said no way is Amaro an NFL player, plus he said that team was filled with azzholes & hated that group so much he almost stopped being a Jet fan. We all hated that team, imagine seeing it from the inside like he did?

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I vaguely remember during the Herm years that there was a backup TE on the Broncos that hit free agency who many people on JI were talking up as if he was the next Tony Gonzalez.  Can't remember his name.

Jeb Putzier?

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I warned you guys about Jace Amaro. My nephew was an intern for the Jets their last year at Cortland (he was at Cortland for physical therapy), and he told me Amaro had a terrible body, he was soft & had man boobs, no physical strength & he was lazy as hell. Literally couldnt block a paper bag. Go back to that 2014 camp threads, it's all right there. My nephew straight up said no way is Amaro an NFL player, plus he said that team was filled with azzholes & hated that group so much he almost stopped being a Jet fan. We all hated that team, imagine seeing it from the inside like he did?

I absolutely detested the Amaro pick from the second it was made.  I distinctly remember referring to him as "a tub of lard" on the draft chat.  I wanted to use a stronger word than "lard", but there were children around. Just a horrible, horrible pick.

8 hours ago, jgb said:

Amazing that players like Brooks (Bollywood!) and others have fanboys while Martin, Gastineau and even Saint Joe Willie himself have detractors here. We've been losing for so long I think as a collective we have lost our marbles and gone full bizarro.

You're beating this drum pretty hard. The reality is the vast majority of Jets fans love players like Martin and Namath. There will never be 100% unison on any sports opinion and both guys were far from flawless, so maybe just ignore the handful of folks who point out the flaws if it hurts your butt so much.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Curtis Martin.

But youre so right.  Savage and others saw Jordan come in and get cheap easy yards after Martin beat a team down.  And whenever he got a chance to play from the start he did little.