Leo not apart of the Jets plans?

Just now, jetstream23 said:

I keep hearing about these "League circles" and imagine a group of front office guys from the other 31 teams sitting on a patio together having a beer, spending 5 hours discussing nothing but the Jets, Gase, Le'Veon Bell, Leonard Williams, the Jets coaching search, Matt Rhule, Peyton Manning, Darron Lee, and the Jets new uniforms.  The following day we get these kinds of blurbs from Cimini and anonymous comments from other teams' front offices tweeted by Joe Caporoso.  Meanwhile, the guys supposedly closest to the Jets like Manish were 200% confident that Macc wasn't getting fired. lol

This entire episode with the firing of Maccagnan has show just how much incompetence there is.....in the media.  The Jets have their share of dysfunction but it's nowhere near that of the media.

They have been pretty much completely wrong about the Jets over the last 5 years specifically. Praising Mac and Bowles and the draft picks like Leo purely based on draft slot and not production.

They are a mess with covering the Jets but at least they are attacking ownership which makes me happy. They need the pressure applied to them until they give in and admit they are in over their heads and hire a head of football ops. I don’t expect it to happen but I am hopeful. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Regardless of if Gase is good or bad as a head coach, he is taking care of 2 major issues. Getting rid of Mac and moving on from Leo before paying him a fortune. I hope we trade him and load up on draft picks. 

A couple guys still sitting out there waiting for a contract offer are Suh and Mo Wilk. How much is someone sending the the Jets in return for the opportunity to pay Leo $14M this year? 

48 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Why not pay him a market rate deal for 4-5 years that is structured so the Cap hit lessens in the out years just as QW will start to get expensive and need his 5th year option considered?  It's kind of like having a $10M backup QB last year.....a team can afford that when you're paying rookie $$$ to the other guy.  I think locking up Leo will actually making him EASIER to trade (and possibly for better compensation) 2 or 3 years from now.  JMHO.

I tend to agree. If you see the Williams Bros. performing well as a tandem, why not lock up Leo while QW is on his rookie deal? Something for Gase and his new GM to discuss. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slats said:

A couple guys still sitting out there waiting for a contract offer are Suh and Mo Wilk. How much is someone sending the the Jets in return for the opportunity to pay Leo $14M this year? 

I tend to agree. If you see the Williams Bros. performing well as a tandem, why not lock up Leo while QW is on his rookie deal? Something for Gase and his new GM to discuss. 

I doubt someone trades for him but the Buccaneers are a possibility. If not, we’d have to play the comp pick game correctly. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I doubt someone trades for him but the Buccaneers are a possibility. If not, we’d have to play the comp pick game correctly. 

Problem is, the first part to the Comp Pick game is to draft decent players to that you can replace FAs from within.  Something we have not done well for too many seasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Very hard to see a former Best Player In The Draft get talked about this way. 

He also said he “doesn’t want to play for the Jets if Bowles is fired” (I didn’t like it when a real teacher came back to replace the Substitute teacher either).  Personally I hardly notice him playing at all to begin with, and no he doesn’t require a double team on every snap, not by a long shot.  The D was garbage and a lot of it was due to not being able to get off the field on 3rd down, Williams entire tenure.

Now that I think about that comment of his I’m thinking Gase puts the bench warmer he gets for Williams next to the kicking tee he got for Lee and displays them in his office.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Many of us thought that Mac was a professional who knew what he was doing, and those that were critical were just being overly negative. 

I think the evidence that continues to pour in is that Mac was very, very bad at his job.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, varjet said:

Many of us thought that Mac was a professional who knew what he was doing, and those that were critical were just being overly negative. 

I think the evidence that continues to pour in is that Mac was very, very bad at his job.  

someoe posted yesterday that Macc was going to lose his job in Housten when the Jets interviewed him.  I think I but that. Old pal Charlie landing him on his feet

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Wouldn't "Not Apart" actually mean he is a part of the future plans?  Like he's really close to the plans?

I'm confused.

Don't be confused.  This board is for Jets fans, not brain surgeons!  I'm sure you realize that he meant "not a part".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Why not pay him a market rate deal for 4-5 years that is structured so the Cap hit lessens in the out years just as QW will start to get expensive and need his 5th year option considered?  It's kind of like having a $10M backup QB last year.....a team can afford that when you're paying rookie $$$ to the other guy.  I think locking up Leo will actually making him EASIER to trade (and possibly for better compensation) 2 or 3 years from now.  JMHO.

This makes sense.  

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, slats said:

At worst, keep him through 2019 and franchise tag him in 2020, then consider trading him while he has to play under the tag.  If he has a great 2019 then he'd be worth one year at $18M.  If he has another okay but not great season (while playing alongside QW) then maybe we let him walk and take the Compensatory draft pick we'd likely get (I'd assume it would be a 3rd).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, varjet said:

He was a fraud from his very first day.

Now you know that the guy was actually about to be fired by Houston and then his friend Casserly gets him upped to a GM position.  How many people do you know, in ANY line of work, are poor enough to get fired and then are given a huge promotion by someone else?

That’s on Jet ownership for not doing proper due diligence.

The stupid amount of coffee cups always  surrounding this guy were an easy tell that he was trying to portray himself as something he’s not.  Like when an idiot uses the same big word in almost every sentence.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1