Matt Bryant

Jetsfan80

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People never worry about kickers until they cost you 2 or 3 games and then they are running around trying to audition guys.

We have one kicker in camp and he stinks so far.

If we had one Qb in camp, Chritian hackenburg and he was playing to hackenburg level would be just assume he was going to become joe Montana come game day?

Last year we had santos and myers and one guy turned out great the other sucked .  This year we have the guy that sucks but zero competition for him.

I totally agree.

You will have 1-2 very close games a year, where the kicker can make all the difference.  Who cares if he is 44, if he can still hit from 50, that's all you need to know.  He doesn't have to play for 5 years, just 1.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm not just talking about Kickers who happened to perform well in the postseason.  Every Super Bowl winner has had a good kicker who also performed well in the postseason.  How is that a stupid argument?

Was Jake Elliot a good kicker in the 2017 offseason?  Stephen Hauschka in 2011?  You have to give these guys a chance.  Myers was a flat out squid and he made the pro bowl from a sh*tty team.  There are very few "good" kickers that weren't journeymen at some point in their careers.  "Good" kickers are often picked up mid-season and they stick around.  There are probably 60 kickers under contract.  On August 31, 2019 there will be 32.  If you want to replace your kicker, that is the time to do it because the 30 best candidates will be free.  

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I agree overall, but we’re literally less than a year removed from this fanbase lamenting letting Catanzaro walk out the door.

We may very well have to make a change at kicker, but it seems like we as Jets fans have this conversation every time we make a change at the position, and it’s never turned out to be a disaster.

Off the top of my head, the last time we had a real meltdown at the position was with Brien against the Steelers in the ‘04 Divisional game. And prior to that game, Brien was a consistently reliable PK. Hell, Myers missed a FG and two XP’s against the Texans last year, the very same day he was named to the pro-bowl. It’s an incredibly fickle position.

But from Jay Feely to Nick Folk to Chandler Catanzaro to Jason Myers...all of these guys caused concern among the fanbase initially and they all turned out fine. 

I’m just not ready to push the panic button. At least not yet.

Feely was awful on kickoffs (his endless stream of low line-drives being one of the reasons the coverage units turned to crap in Westhoff's later years), but otherwise I definitely agree with your overall point.  Even Brien, for as much reason as we all had to hate him on that night, got far more of a share of the blame than he even deserved, considering his misses were at a frozen Heinz field notorious for bad kicking conditions, put into that situation thanks to idiotic coaching decisions and a completely useless offense that contributed nothing to even make it a close game in the first place.

You're right, there was definitely plenty of complaining about letting Catanzaro walk, while at this time last year Myers was still a few weeks away from getting cut by the Seahawks (the very same ones who then thought he was worth a big contract a mere 7 months later).  So I agree there's no reason to panic, but of course that also doesn't mean they shouldn't keep their eyes open for other options, considering that's exactly how they got Myers.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Was Jake Elliot a good kicker in the 2017 offseason?  Stephen Hauschka in 2011?  You have to give these guys a chance.  Myers was a flat out squid and he made the pro bowl from a sh*tty team.  There are very few "good" kickers that weren't journeymen at some point in their careers.  "Good" kickers are often picked up mid-season and they stick around.  There are probably 60 kickers under contract.  On August 31, 2019 there will be 32.  If you want to replace your kicker, that is the time to do it because the 30 best candidates will be free.   

Fair enough.  After that process plays out then we can look at Matt Bryant and determine if he's one of the best of the 30. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fair enough.  After that process plays out then we can look at Matt Bryant and determine if he's one of the best of the 30. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Should at least bring him in and take a look. Catazzaro sucks

Matt Bryant might literally be the last guy the Jets should bring in.  He is 44 years old and I don't think he has handled kick-offs since 2008.  If they bring him in, they will have to bring in another kicker.  It's ******* preposterous, but maybe we can get this thread to nine pages anyway. 

10 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Matt Bryant might literally be the last guy the Jets should bring in.  He is 44 years old and I don't think he has handled kick-offs since 2008.  If they bring him in, they will have to bring in another kicker.  It's ******* preposterous, but maybe we can get this thread to nine pages anyway. 

At least he can make field goals

On 8/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, Untouchable said:

What kicking woes?

When was the last time the Jets had a total walking disaster at PK?

Just last summer fans were freaking out about letting Catanzaro walk and dicking around with guys like Cairo Santos, that one rookie we brought in and yes, Jason Myers.

If Catanzaro starts missing kicks left and right in the pre-season, then sure, cut him and bring someone else in. But I guess I’m one of the few who isn’t totally petrified by him missing some kicks in camp.

Also, Bryant has been kicking either inside of a dome or in sunny Florida for a minimum of 10 games every year for the last decade. I think it would be much different in Jersey.

Want to rethink this?

On 8/7/2019 at 9:57 AM, Untouchable said:

What kicking woes?

When was the last time the Jets had a total walking disaster at PK?

Just last summer fans were freaking out about letting Catanzaro walk and dicking around with guys like Cairo Santos, that one rookie we brought in and yes, Jason Myers.

If Catanzaro starts missing kicks left and right in the pre-season, then sure, cut him and bring someone else in. But I guess I’m one of the few who isn’t totally petrified by him missing some kicks in camp.

Also, Bryant has been kicking either inside of a dome or in sunny Florida for a minimum of 10 games every year for the last decade. I think it would be much different in Jersey.

blinking jonah hill GIF

On 8/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, playtowinthegame said:

We're sittin here talkin about a kicker. A kicker. 

Um yeah it's not a big deal when you have one, but when you don't it's a big deal. The prob with guy is you don't know what your going to get on any kick he can miss from any range. It's not like the team knows certian kicks are to big for him. But the guy misses extra points as easily as a 50 yarder. The reason you fix it is because plenty of guys are decent and you might just lucky - see Meyers

I just don't understand why they didn't resign Roberts and Myers? Two players that were instrumental in making the Jets ST something besides a joke. So what do they do? Get one great year out of these new arrivals and then they can't get rid of them fast enough? It's like good results upset the Jets front office?

24 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

I just don't understand why they didn't resign Roberts and Myers? Two players that were instrumental in making the Jets ST something besides a joke. So what do they do? Get one great year out of these new arrivals and then they can't get rid of them fast enough? It's like good results upset the Jets front office?

Remember who the GM was.

Archived