NBC Coverage ( Jets/Giants )

Just now, Copernicus said:

Thought the broadcast was unprofessional. Cant believe how blatantly one sided it was. Every comment was about a Giants player. The excuses for why everyone else is stupid and the Giants are brilliant in regards to selecting Daniel Jones at #6 was nauseating.  Rarely did they even announce who was on the Jets tackle or catch . Personally I am not a fan of Howard Cross and Carl Banks both come across as such homers in an obnoxious, know it all way.. Was real disappointed 

carson was just apologizing to beningo on the fan for not having any jet info.

at one point the giants bs sideline reporter was interviewing a giant while the jets were on offense, and the only way i could follow the action was watching the video screen at met life that was partially in the background of the interview.  it was like watching a giants magazine show while they happened to be scrimmaging.  just awful, that they would subject jet fans to this in their own stadium.  

• Upvote 4

My understanding of why they picked Popa and Banks was due to  the Giants being a home team. But yes, it was just plain out-and-out very unprofessional.  Hardly any mention of jets players making which plays and not even paying attention to the plays on the field when penalties occurred ( the White pass interference call) . Just horrible.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

carson was just apologizing to beningo on the fan for not having any jet info.

at one point the giants bs sideline reporter was interviewing a giant while the jets were on offense, and the only way i could follow the action was watching the video screen at met life that was partially in the background of the interview.  it was like watching a giants magazine show while they happened to be scrimmaging.  just awful, that they would subject jet fans to this in their own stadium.  

If it we weren't for my obsession of the Jets it was almost unwatchable. No excuses, its 2019,there is information at your finger tips. Coming from Banks and Cross who come across as know it alls there is even less sympathy. Gregg Buttle and Joe Namath are homers for us, but at least entertaining and not obnoxious know it alls. Very disappointing

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I respectfully disagree and agree to a point. I get that it is a Giants broadcast and on some level there is an expectation that more will be slanted the Giants way. Understandable. Last night was unprofessional to the point where they didnt even announce players who were directly making plays on offense or defense. Obnoxious. 

first series i thought there was a hold on the giants OL, and i wanted to know who hernandez, their 2nd round pick from last year, was holding.  was it Q, i have no idea.

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan1015 said:

It was a Giants home game, therefore their broadcasters.  This happens every year in the preseason for this game. Last year was the Jets broadcasters and all they talked about were the Jets and all the Giants fans complained. It goes on a rotational basis.

This.  It was a Giatns broadcast.  I tunred the sound down and listened to Wischusen and Lyons on the radio after the weather delay.  Was far better than listening to Papa/Banks.  Only issue I had is when Lyons was interviewing Darnold during the game at the same time that I think it was Howard Cross talking to Jabril Peppers.  Weird seeing Peppers but hearing Darnold's voice.

• Haha 1

Just now, KRL said:

I turned off the sound and had the radio on, thankfully it was "synced up".

Total NYG suck up fest that was dying to put Jones in Canton after one drive

Couldnt agree more. I think of myself as pretty objective and understanding that there will be a level of "homer-ness" when it comes to the Giants with Banks, Poppa, and Howard announcing but last night was over the top unprofessional and un-watchable

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

Couldnt agree more. I think of myself as pretty objective and understanding that there will be a level of "homer-ness" when it comes to the Giants with Banks, Poppa, and Howard announcing but last night was over the top unprofessional and un-watchable

For you it was but to the audience they were catering to, I am sure they loved it. Sucks for Jets fans but next year will be all about the Jets. This was not a traditional impartial announcing crew. They were hired  to talk about the Giants team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan1015 said:

For you it was but to the audience they were catering to, I am sure they loved it. Sucks for Jets fans but next year will be all about the Jets. This was not a traditional impartial announcing crew. They were hired  to talk about the Giants team.

it would have helped if they actually wanted to talk about the game and the players who were in it.  they seemed relatively unprepared and generally uninterested in many of the plays and players in the game.  they just wanted to prop up certain players and story lines, and in today's broadcasts that's sub par.    

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

NBC deserves all the backlash they get from this. Carl Banks is a jerk. 

I respectfully disagree with this comment.  My Dad and brother are giants fans and when I was a kid there was some autograph signing at a local store by me and it was Carl Banks.  So my Dad "drags" me and my brother to go.  Me being the little bastard that I am,  I figured if I have to go, I'll wear my Jets stuff!  

And the man could not have been nicer!  he sees me with my Jets shirt on, and he laughed and was so nice.  I don't remember details because it was over 30 years ago, but he took a picture with me, and I saved it all these years.  Whenever I hear him on Joe and Evan (or a Kia commercial - ha!) I get a slight smile on my face, because even though I despise the giants, it's nice to know he is a "nice giant".

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

I respectfully disagree with this comment.  My Dad and brother are giants fans and when I was a kid there was some autograph signing at a local store by me and it was Carl Banks.  So my Dad "drags" me and my brother to go.  Me being the little bastard that I am,  I figured if I have to go, I'll wear my Jets stuff!  

And the man could not have been nicer!  he sees me with my Jets shirt on, and he laughed and was so nice.  I don't remember details because it was over 30 years ago, but he took a picture with me, and I saved it all these years.  Whenever I hear him on Joe and Evan (or a Kia commercial - ha!) I get a slight smile on my face, because even though I despise the giants, it's nice to know he is a "nice giant".

I'm sure he's a nice guy. But he wasn't a good announcer last night. Plus his contention that CBs should be allowed to cheat was pretty weird.

• Upvote 4

Just now, BroadwayRay said:

I'm sure he's a nice guy. But he wasn't a good announcer last night. Plus his contention that CBs should be allowed to cheat was pretty weird.

I agree 1000%!  He is the biggest giants homer there is - there is no disputing that.  but I was responding to a comment that he was a "jerk".

5 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

On the flip side when Carl Banks coached with the Jets my family and I (small kids at the time) along with other fans saw Carl riding his bike at training camp in Hofsra and the small crowd asked for autographs he vehemently said no autographs i'm too busy. i said no loss you are a Giant anyway and others made comments after he was mean to the kids. He said thats right i'm a NY Giant and don't you fans forget that. 

Last night he had no business announcing that game or any game he cannot talk intelligently  to save his life many times mispronouncing words. 

Im not a fan of Carl Banks and never will be. 

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan1015 said:

Again, I agree and understand that their will be a level of "one-sided-ness" in regards to last nights game. Just thought it was beyond what I expected and unprofessional. Like they didnt care to announce the game.

31 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

If it we weren't for my obsession of the Jets it was almost unwatchable. No excuses, its 2019,there is information at your finger tips. Coming from Banks and Cross who come across as know it alls there is even less sympathy. Gregg Buttle and Joe Namath are homers for us, but at least entertaining and not obnoxious know it alls. Very disappointing

Buttle is clearly a Jets homer, but Carl Banks puts him to shame.

Namath loves the Jets, but is critical of them when it is warranted. He's also quick to compliment players from other teams. 

The biggest disappointment last night was Bob Papa. He's usually a good play-by-play guy, but was piss poor at it yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sourceworx said:

The biggest disappointment was Bob Papa. He's usually a good play-by-play guy, but was piss poor at it yesterday.

Bob Papa was most definitely intimidated by Carl Banks his choice of words most times were irrelevant to the play on the field. 

Guy has no clue and should not be announcing games ever. 

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

On the flip side when Carl Banks coached with the Jets my family and I (small kids at the time) along with other fans saw Carl riding his bike at training camp in Hofsra and the small crowd asked for autographs he vehemently said no autographs i'm too busy. i said no loss you are a Giant anyway and others made comments after he was mean to the kids. He said thats right i'm a NY Giant and don't you fans forget that. 

Last night he had no business announcing that game or any game he cannot talk intelligently  to save his life many times mispronouncing words. 

So, the guy was busy doing something, you asked him to stop doing it to do something for your children, he said no, you were rude to him, and he responded back about being prideful in his team.

Got it.

That's normal for preseason broadcasts... but I will say that the Giants broadcast team, presentation, everything about them is incredibly dull. I've said that forever, but I am always reminded of it when I am forced to watch their broadcasts along with their commercials, etc.

18 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

good to know.  I absolutely hate the giants and their fans and it was bothering me to know there was one good giant out there!  glad to see they are back to zero!!  haha

I get that it was a Giants home game and the announcers sucked, but what really bothered me was the dumba$$ reporters asking both Gase and Sam what they thought about Daniel Jones - wtf? Why would anyone who was watching a jets press conference want to hear about the Giants backup QB?

• Upvote 1