Roll with Siemian or Trade for QB?

FlightBoyz

Roll with it.  Anything worth trading, they should probably keep.  Obviously, playoffs are a bigger reach than when the season started.  Personally thought it was a long shot. 

Darnold got sick.  That's the breaks.  I still think the season is, and always was, about finding out for sure he's the guy.  So, I'll still be hoping the line will improve and he'll prove it. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Part of me agrees with this a lot, but in the early part of a season under a new Coach I don't think it would send the right message.

This is usually a line of thinking I aggressively disagree with.....but in this case, I agree.  Falk is not the future, and Darnold is, and T.S. is not some worn out old veteran like Fitz or McCown. 

For Gase, playing T.S. is the right call.  For the Players it is the right call.  For Fans, who know the season is already lost, it isn't (unless you love T.S. I suppose).  

It would signal throwing in the towel and a move toward trying to evaluate and develop Falk.  Gase doesn't want to send that signal in Week 2 IMO.

Yup.

With that said, I wouldn't mind Trevor having a short leash.  If it's ugly, if he's playing bad, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to make a switch, even at half-time vs. Cleveland.

Agreed.  

27 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Don LaGreca brings up a good point today on TMKS today.  Is it really that big of a drop off between what sam is right now to what Siemien is?  I don’t think it’s that drastic but losing Bell is a game changer.

AC9807-A2-ED96-4-C5-A-A5-DE-8-A3-CD822-C

Semen has a nicer ass.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

i don't see what the issue is beyond losing darnold for a time.  pretty freak injury but that's the way it goes.  semian will be fine and falk was touted pretty highly when he came out of college.    at the very least it's an early gut check for this team.  maybe semian can get a win or two or three while darnold is out.  it could be a whole lot worse.  mccown could be the back up or a whole host of other third tier qb's.

3 hours ago, FlightBoyz said:

Mono is awful I've had it. Darnold will be out for a while. I'd say mid season latest. The season is still salvageable tho. Only week 2. Schedule is obviously tough. Siemian has experience could win a few games or totally bomb. Will see what he's capable of on Monday. But If he sucks and your JD do you pull the trigger on a QB. Possibly Taylor, Mullins, Teddy or even Tannehill? Thoughts

So it was you ?

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is usually a line of thinking I aggressively disagree with.....but in this case, I agree.  Falk is not the future, and Darnold is, and T.S. is not some worn out old veteran like Fitz or McCown. 

For Gase, playing T.S. is the right call.  For the Players it is the right call.  For Fans, who know the season is already lost, it isn't (unless you love T.S. I suppose).  

Yup.

Agreed.  

the season is far from over.  granted the patsies look like the team to beat but even they are an injury away from a losing season.  anything can happen.  it's just that it's happening to the jets at the moment.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I’d just walk the streets of Staten Island with a flamethrower finishing off hysterical old men like it was my sworn duty

This is not a test. This is your emergency broadcast system announcing the commencement of the Annual Purge sanctioned by the U.S. Government. Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours. Weapons of class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge. All other weapons are restricted. Police, fire, and emergency medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. And for the first time since its inception, no one has been granted special immunity from the Purge. No citizen or group will be exempt. Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn. May God be with you all.

NYJ Media already writing up articles about Adam Gase's "Built-In" excuses. 

Why Jets’ Sam Darnold’s mono diagnosis is (strangely) great news for Adam Gase | 5 thoughts on QB issue

Updated 3:45 PM; Today 11:05 AM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets are on the brink of a massive test.

Quarterback Sam Darnold was diagnosed with mono late Tuesday night, knocking him out of the team’s Week 2 matchup against the Browns on Monday night.

Even worse? Mono can ravage and athletes body and take weeks to recover from. So, head coach Adam Gase is bracing for Darnold to miss multiple games – though he won’t make and guarantees or predictions for how long Darnold could be sidelined.

Suddenly, backup Trevor Siemian is the starter. Luke Falk is about to be promoted from the practice squad in order to fill that void.

That’s not what you want when your team is already 0-1 and entering its toughest stretch of the year.

Here are five thoughts on what this diagnosis means, both for Darnold and the Jets, moving forward:

1. Jets’ season may be over

Let’s be quite honest: Losing Darnold for multiple games could very well end this team’s playoff chances, even if it’s only September. The Jets were already facing a near must-win game against the Browns – teams that start 0-2 only make the playoffs about 11 percent of the time. Now, the Jets will be without their offensive leader on Monday night. Beyond that? Between now and Week 7, the Jets play all playoff teams. They have the Patriots and Eagles on the road, followed by the Cowboys and Patriots at home. This is easily the toughest part of their schedule – and their biggest difference maker could miss a large chunk of it, depending on how long this drags on.

2. Early bye week a blessing

We mentioned the Jets’ brutal road between now and Week 7. But there is one built-in silver lining: The Jets are off during Week 4, which buys them a little bit of time during this crucial stretch. The medical timeline for mono varies from person to person, which makes it tricky to predict when he’ll be back on the field. But at the least, he’ll miss one game less than he otherwise would have, thanks to the early bye week. Most teams hate having their week off that early in the season. This time around, it worked out for the Jets.

3. Sophomore slump coming?

Darnold is going to miss games. We already know that much. The question is what he’ll provide once he gets back on the field. Gase already said that Darnold has lost some weight. Odds are that will only continue over the life of this illness – though Darnold and the team will do their best to minimize that. But mono ravages a person’s strength and energy. As a result, it’s fair to wonder how Darnold will look once he finally gets back on the field this year. There’s a very real chance that this affects him for most, if not all, of 2019. Professional athletes are finely tuned and now his routine and body have been thrown out of whack right at the beginning of the year. The ripple effect from that could last quite a while, even once he’s deemed medically ready to return.

4. Signing Siemian looks smart

At the start of this offseason, it looked like Davis Webb could be in line for the Jets’ backup quarterback job. But the team wisely went out and aggressively targeted other backup quarterback options – and now, they’re about to reap the benefits of that proactive work. Siemian is 27 and has started 24 NFL games over the his four seasons. He’s no schmuck. Is he a franchise quarterback? No. But he’s a serviceable, experienced backup who is still in his prime years. The Jets could be in far worse situations than this. Frankly, they were just last year. Josh McCown was valuable for the Jets in a lot of other ways, but Siemian is a better in-game quarterback than McCown was last year as a 39-year-old.

Buy Browns vs. Jets tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek

5. Did Gase just catch a break?

This may sound a bit perverse. Obviously, Gase would prefer to have his quarterback on the field. He wants the best chance to win. But in a roundabout way, this news let’s Gase off the hook. Had the Jets stumbled out of the gates and blown their playoff chances during this early season gauntlet with Darnold in the lineup, Gase would have come under immense fire. Now, he has a built-in excuse for all of 2019. And if Siemian happens to play well and keeps this team in the hunt, then Gase gets to bask in the glow of that success. Basically, the Jets’ first-year head coach now finds himself in a situation where he can earn some serious credit, without any real fear of blame.

55 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the season is far from over.

Lets not live in a fantasy world.  If we, at 100% strength, cannot defeat the lowly Bills, at home, on opening day, with +4 on turnovers, under our brand new Coach......well, don't color me surprised when we start 0-6 losing to the Browns, Pats, Eagles, Cowboys and Pats again.  Jacksonville is the next potentially winnable game looks like, if Sunday was any indication. 

If you see if differently, ok, I'd love to know how you see us beating any of these other than the Browns maybe.  I mean seriously, after watching Sunday, do you really see this team beating the Pats?  The Eagles?  Even the Cowboys?

And 0-6 start means the season is over.

granted the patsies look like the team to beat but even they are an injury away from a losing season.  anything can happen.  it's just that it's happening to the jets at the moment.

"Anything can happen" doesn't mean anything.  Sure, an asteroid could fall out of the sky on Boston I guess.....but what are the odds?

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@SAR I will you be there Monday night checking out his ass. 

100%

I don't think the season is over.  I think we were probably going to be 2-4 with Darnold and we can be 2-4 without Darnold.  The difference being I didn't realize how good our defense could be and how sharp Le'Veon already is.  We can spank the Browns and upset the Cowboys.  Why not?

2-4 gets us to 10-6 or 9-7.  And that's the wildcard.  So, no, I'm not quitting on this team.  This is going to be a great season.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's a damn shame that this wont happen. 

The Jets are less than five days away from the annual PSL ticket fire sale on StubHub anyway. May as well go down showing some guts, you know? **** the Maynard jersey-wearing olds who’ll theatrically freak out about it. They’re not your core customer anyway. 

• Haha 1