Zero interest in drafting another QB

Jumbo2927

1 hour ago, Jumbo2927 said:

I think last night most rational Jets fan saw the writing on the wall that Darnold is not a franchise QB. Call it an overreaction, but in a league where second year QBs are doing amazing things ours just turned in one of the worst performances I have ever seen. 

With that said I have zero interest in taking another QB high in round 1. This organization sucks as drafting & developing QBs. The WRs and OL are bigger problems than Darnold.

Ah, that's the problem and always has been. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo2927 said:

Brady won a super bowl by then lol.

BB exposed Darnolds flaws for the league to see. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust. 

How does Brady do when someone blitzes him up the middle? He gets called for intentional grounding. It just hardly ever happens because the line adjusts to blitzes. That was not on Darnold last night - if the line picked up the same blitz early on the game would have been different. No QB can be successful with people coming up the middle untouched.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

How does Brady do when someone blitzes him up the middle? He gets called for intentional grounding. It just hardly ever happens because the line adjusts to blitzes. That was not on Darnold last night - if the line picked up the same blitz early on the game would have been different. No QB can be successful with people coming up the middle untouched.

TB doesn't loft the ball in the air downfield so it is intercepted like Sam Darnold did last night. 

The NY Jets need to find out why he did that in the first place and throwing off his back foot. 

TB doesn't loft the ball in the air downfield so it is intercepted like Sam Darnold did last night. 
The NY Jets need to find out why he did that in the first place and throwing off his back foot. 

They don't need to find out, you could see it on TV. He was under constant pressure, he was shell-shocked, wasn't getting set because he didn't think he had time to get set. When he saw an open receiver, he got rid of it. Off his back foot, not square, short-armed, you name it. The game didnt just LOOK fast to him, it WAS fast. He had maybe a second before he had someone on him all night.

Just now, isired said:
9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They don't need to find out, you could see it on TV. He was under constant pressure, he was shell-shocked, wasn't getting set because he didn't think he had time to get set. When he saw an open receiver, he got rid of it. Off his back foot, not square, short-armed, you name it. The game didnt just LOOK fast to him, it WAS fast. He had maybe a second before he had someone on him all night.

Throw the ball into the ground or out of bounds thats what smart QB's do.

Throw the ball into the ground or out of bounds thats what smart QB's do.
Like I said earlier, best case scenario on any of those turnovers is he throws it away.

But you could see as well as I could that he rarely even got out of the tackle box. Brady gets the ball out quicker than anyone, usually averages a little above 2 seconds and sometimes as fast as 1.3 I think. I bet if you look at the tape, Darnold never had a clean pocket for more than 2 seconds. They rushed 3 on 5 and got to him, I think it was on the roughing call.

You could see on the safety that his focus was on seeing the rush. That's not good.

He's still young but last night was godawful on so many levels 

I get the oline is bad, but the o line didnt make him throw multiple picks off his back foot. Live to play another down and throw the ball away in those situations. It's like he completely lost all strides he's made since the Miami game last year. 

• Upvote 1

Brady won a super bowl by then lol.
BB exposed Darnolds flaws for the league to see. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust. 

Takes more than one qb to win a superbowl. Darnold has a terrible offensive line and was playing what might be the greatest patriots team of all time furthermore bb is the greatest coach/gm of all time. No one wants to admit that including me but the records speak for themselves even if they should have an * next to them.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

He's shown a lot of good, but a game like last night was a Geno/Sanchez level of bad and should concern everyone at least a little bit. 

I want him to succeed, but unless he plays great the rest of the way it's not bad to do our due diligence on this QB class.

He needs a lot to shake a game as horrible as last night. Have a terrible taste in my mouth after this.  

He's still young but last night was godawful on so many levels 
I get the oline is bad, but the o line didnt make him throw multiple picks off his back foot. Live to play another down and throw the ball away in those situations. It's like he completely lost all strides he's made since the Miami game last year. 
Seriously? He wasn't even out of the tackle box on any of those throws, was he? Maybe on the red zone overthrow but he was still rolling left so wasn't near square. My point is, with no time to see his receivers or get out of the tackle box, those would have been grounding calls, not 'live to play another down'.

Brady is 42 Darnold is 22 
I dont get your point - that Brady is more experienced? Of course he is. I didn't point out that Brady gets the ball put quicker than anyone as a critique of Sam, just to reference that Sam didn't have enough time for the quickest release QB most of the night.

I think yesterday was an aberration, but we'll see how it goes. I don't draft a Qb with our no. 1 pick unless there is a complete breakdown with Sam. Before yesterday I would have said never, don't be crazy, he's going to be very good and already is good. But I might draft a Qb if someone they like drops into a higher round. We have drafted a lot of Qbs in recent years and little success drafting in 4th round etc. Those guys are not around for the most part in the NFL. 

14 minutes ago, isired said:
28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:
Brady is 42 Darnold is 22 

I dont get your point - that Brady is more experienced? Of course he is. I didn't point out that Brady gets the ball put quicker than anyone as a critique of Sam, just to reference that Sam didn't have enough time for the quickest release QB most of the night.

Brady sat on the bench in college Darnold was the starter at USC quickness in ball release isn't something you teach you either have it or you don't. 

• Thumb Down 1

heres a hot take 

No USC qb can be trusted, especially in New York

even the 4 star guy who somehow beats out two 5 stars to start

besides the fact neither of these sunshine day dreamers had ever seen snow before being drafted

Sam Darnold (and Mark Sanchez) got their degrees in poon houndery with a minor in chillaxing 

We know all bout Sanchez and his Kate Upton, broadway plays and sideline hotdogs... Darnold got frigging Mono for Pete's sake. THE KISSING DISEASE. now he's seeing ghosts 

it's USC they get sick athletes but everyone in the program feels they are entitled

there's no way any USC qb has the mental toughness of the dude from Texas Tech or Wyoming 

meanwhile the NFL is a meat market. they eat guys like Darnold alive in the NFL 

• Thumb Down 1

Brady sat on the bench in college Darnold was the starter at USC quickness in ball release isn't something you teach you either have it or you don't. 
Getting the ball out quick isn't just dependent on ball release. Pre-snap read, post-snap read, footwork etc. All things you'd expect a guy who's been in the league 20 years to do better than a guy in his second year.

Marino had one of the quickest releases (maybe THE quickest ever?) but he usually stood like a statue for 4-5 seconds behind that OL before unleashing it.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

A bad game is a bad game. It's 1 game. The overreactions on this site are insane. Josh Allen threw 3 picks against New England. He turned it over 4 times against us. 

Anyone can cherry pick 1 game and go "I didn't see the other guys have a game like that." It means nothing. 

More bad than good at this point.

Just now, isired said:

Getting the ball out quick isn't just dependent on ball release. Pre-snap read, post-snap read, footwork etc. All things you'd expect a guy who's been in the league 20 years to do better than a guy in his second year.

Marino had one of the quickest releases (maybe THE quickest ever?) but he usually stood like a statue for 4-5 seconds behind that OL before unleashing it.

42 vs 22 I would fully expect a 22 year old to show something more than he did last night. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, isired said:

Wait are you saying Darnold should be BETTER than Brady? That any 22 year old should heat a 42 year old?

Good god, man.

No never said that, obviously you don't get it and don't understand football or athletics. 

Enjoy the rest of the season this conversation is over. 

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He was actually even worse when not pressured last night.

Seeing ghosts will do that to you...  Bad game but I am most certainly not ready to throw in the towel on Sam.  He just witnessed what an NFL defense can be at its best! call it a humbling experience, a learning experience, whatever you want but give credit to lil bill and his defense...

• Upvote 1

No never said that, obviously you don't get it and don't understand football or athletics. 
I just can't understand what point you're trying to make. If you think '42 vs 22 year old, i would think the 22 year old would play better' doesn't say that, I don't know what to tell you. What were you trying to say? Unscramble it for me.

1 minute ago, isired said:
35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I just can't understand what point you're trying to make. If you think '42 vs 22 year old, i would think the 22 year old would play better' doesn't say that, I don't know what to tell you. What were you trying to say? Unscramble it for me.

Look comparing Darnold to Brady is ridiculous on the first place. 

ATHLETICISM is not you have a 42 yr old player vs a 22 yr old player. 

Did you see Darnold scrambling last night or running with the ball to gain any significant yardage. 

At some point in the game we should have seen a 22 yr old athlete who is quicker faster and stronger than a 42 yr old athlete at show us something besides throwing of the back foot throwing iNT's and making bad decisions. 

The athlete in Sam Darnold a 22 yr old player should have came out sometime last night and it did not. 

PROBLEM 

• Thumb Down 1

Look comparing Darnold to Brady is ridiculous on the first place.  ATHLETICISM is not you have a 42 yr old player vs a 22 yr old player. 

Did you see Darnold scrambling last night or running with the ball to gain any significant yardage. 

At some point in the game we should have seen a 22 yr old athlete who is quicker faster and stronger than a 42 yr old athlete at show us something besides throwing of the back foot throwing iNT's and making bad decisions. 

The athlete in Sam Darnold a 22 yr old player should have came out sometime last night and it did not. 

PROBLEM 

Dude, they're not on the field at the same time. Sam is sprinting out vs. superior football players at every position. Was he scrambling? Yes. Did he gain yards? No. You have to have somewhere to go, abhole or a corner to gain, to get positive yardage. It wasn't there. 

I encourage you to watch this - it's one play, not a pass play, but it was happening ALL NIGHT if you looked away from the ball.

The Pat's defenders beat the Jets blockers worse than I've seen on any level. I played for and against some pretty bad teams in HS and college and never saw film like this.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo2927 said:

I think last night most rational Jets fan saw the writing on the wall that Darnold is not a franchise QB. Call it an overreaction, but in a league where second year QBs are doing amazing things ours just turned in one of the worst performances I have ever seen. 

With that said I have zero interest in taking another QB high in round 1. This organization sucks as drafting & developing QBs. The WRs and OL are bigger problems than Darnold.

You may win 'the most Butt fumbles in one posting' award -  please take the stand for the ribbon.

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

My point does not imply that at all.  It implies that Darnold throws the ball up in the air when things aren’t going his way.  As I said before, a better QB doesn’t win this game for us, but the turnovers fall largely on him.  This really isn’t about blitzing at all.

That should change as he plays the position more in the NFL...