Zero interest in drafting another QB

Jumbo2927

My point does not imply that at all.  It implies that Darnold throws the ball up in the air when things aren’t going his way.  As I said before, a better QB doesn’t win this game for us, but the turnovers fall largely on him.  This really isn’t about blitzing at all.

Yeah but he didnt do that last week. He saw pressure, he had covered receivers, but you didnt see what you saw last night. Why?

Because last night it was everything, everywhere, in almost every play. There was nowhere to go to set and throw, because every Pats defender beat their man on the line on just about every play. Stephon Gilmore locked down Anderson on every play but one. Their backers had Bell covered on every downfield pattern he ran that I can remember. The entire Jets O was dominated, including Darnold who, yes, made some terrible throws.

If you take Brady and Darnold and switch teams, the Patriots still win that game.

Would Brady make all the mistakes Darnold made? Of course not. He'd probably see an adjustment that Sam didn't, he'd take a sack, he'd get rid of the ball, and after 2 or 3 series of what Sam faced he'd ******* explode on the sideline screaming at Gase to change the ******* protection.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Grandy said:

the o line didnt make him throw multiple picks off his back foot. Live to play another down and throw the ball away in those situations. It's like he completely lost all strides he's made since the Miami game last year. 

i didnt watch the game, just the lowlights...

he played like a pussy. he shat himself. disgusting performance.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Jumbo2927 said:

I think last night most rational Jets fan saw the writing on the wall that Darnold is not a franchise QB. Call it an overreaction, but in a league where second year QBs are doing amazing things ours just turned in one of the worst performances I have ever seen. 

With that said I have zero interest in taking another QB high in round 1. This organization sucks as drafting & developing QBs. The WRs and OL are bigger problems than Darnold.

Wait, are you a Jets fan? You have another post that makes it clear you aren't a Jets fan.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm not a fan of doing dumb things that result in losing games. So by the prevailing dogma I'm really not a Jets fan either.

I swear I need a translator for your posts. I know I have a low IQ but I can never figure them out lol.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He throws off his back foot a lot but he did it last week against Dallas too. But when you play as bad as he did last night it's a fair criticism to make. 

It's simply not sustainable.  He needs to step up and make throws like a "normal" pocket passer the majority of the time.  Those back foot throws demonstrate above average athleticism out of a QB but it shouldn't be his go-to.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

There's going to be so many irrational posts on this board all week declaring Sam not a franchise QB because of 1 game against the Patriots lol.

These people, and the trolls from New England, and Buffalo are going to be a lot to deal with this week lol.

Well below are the Patriot victories where they killed every team with the exception of the Bills, I guess QBs like Big Ben, Daniel Jones, etc. will also never amount t anything. Oh Ben won 2 of 3 SBs, guess he's a bust.

vs 
team logo
PIT
@ 
team logo
MIA
vs 
team logo
NYJ
@ 
team logo
BUF
@ 
team logo
WAS
vs 
team logo
NYG
@ 
team logo
NYJ

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's simply not sustainable.  He needs to step up and make throws like a "normal" pocket passer the majority of the time.  Those back foot throws demonstrate above average athleticism out of a QB but it shouldn't be his go-to.  

I agree and I think he did it more than usual on Monday night because he was feeling pressure that wasn't there and wasn't comfortable stepping into his throws (seeing ghosts) like he said.

I don't have a problem with him throwing off his back foot from time to time when he needs to though. He steps into his throws as well but on Monday he just wasn't comfortable back there obviously.

• Upvote 1

On 10/22/2019 at 7:04 AM, Jumbo2927 said:

Brady won a super bowl by then lol.

BB exposed Darnolds flaws for the league to see. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust. 

Not sure it’s all Darnold’s flaws that were exposed. Most QBs aren’t going to succeed when they face free rushers every other play. 
BB exposed the Jets inability to protect the QB

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:16 AM, Beerfish said:

I still think Darnold is the guy, I have not changed my mind on that.  However even if the team did change its mind they should still not draft a qb high.

Do it right and buuld the oline and skill position then draft your qb.

Best case scenario Sam Darnold is another Andy Dalton. 

Worst case scenario Joe Douglas is drafting another quarterback...hopefully not from USC ever again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, isired said:
On 10/22/2019 at 9:43 AM, joewilly12 said:
TB doesn't loft the ball in the air downfield so it is intercepted like Sam Darnold did last night. 
The NY Jets need to find out why he did that in the first place and throwing off his back foot. 

They don't need to find out, you could see it on TV. He was under constant pressure, he was shell-shocked, wasn't getting set because he didn't think he had time to get set. When he saw an open receiver, he got rid of it. Off his back foot, not square, short-armed, you name it. The game didnt just LOOK fast to him, it WAS fast. He had maybe a second before he had someone on him all night.

Darnold was 3-17 with 2 ints on plays where he had 2.5 seconds or more to throw. It's not all about the OL. We know they're not good, but Darnold has to be better then he was Monday night. A lot better.

23 hours ago, isired said:

Yeah but he didnt do that last week. He saw pressure, he had covered receivers, but you didnt see what you saw last night. Why?

Because last night it was everything, everywhere, in almost every play. There was nowhere to go to set and throw, because every Pats defender beat their man on the line on just about every play. Stephon Gilmore locked down Anderson on every play but one. Their backers had Bell covered on every downfield pattern he ran that I can remember. The entire Jets O was dominated, including Darnold who, yes, made some terrible throws.

If you take Brady and Darnold and switch teams, the Patriots still win that game.

Would Brady make all the mistakes Darnold made? Of course not. He'd probably see an adjustment that Sam didn't, he'd take a sack, he'd get rid of the ball, and after 2 or 3 series of what Sam faced he'd ******* explode on the sideline screaming at Gase to change the ******* protection.

Very good post...

But....Sam was literally throwing the ball up to no one - just chucking it in the air - on the early drives when the game still within reach.

I get if you're down 20 points and you simply can't find anyone open throughout the entire 1st half...maybe you chuck it up and hope someone makes a play...

But that's not what happened here.

On 10/22/2019 at 10:08 AM, jetstream23 said:

Question - If the entire Jets roster were made available to the NFL in some type of expansion draft, who do you think would taken first?  From the entire team, what player would be the first one taken?

The answer is easy.  He has red hair and plays QB.

I get what you're trying to say here, but this is the rare post of yours that I think misses the point of the conversation. Why?

Positional bias. Darnold is a starting QB.

He is under 30 years old.

He was taken in the top 5 of the draft two years ago.

Every player  who fits that description would be the first player taken in an expansion draft.

None ever are though, because they are never going to be unprotected in an expansion draft.

Again, I get what you're trying to say. Darnold has the potential to be more valuable then any player on the Jets roster, but so do guys like Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Daniel Jones and even Gardiner Minshew. Potential is great, lots of QBs have it.

The important thing is that they realize that potential. How many actually do that?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Come on man, Josh Allen has definitely helped his team to that 5-1 record. At the moment he's a better quarterback than Sam Darnold.

DVOA has Josh Allen as the # 28 QB in the NFL this season.   Worse than Andy Dalton and only slightly better than Joe Flacco.  He's being dragged along for the ride much like 2009-10 Mark Sanchez.  

On 10/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, isired said:

hell no my friend

Teams don't blitz brady or Rodgers etc because smart QBs beat the blitz 

playing cover 0 man blitz at the 50 yard line on 1st down is a suicide mission vs Brady 

someone will be open and he will find him 

If the Jets had Brady, BB wouldn't blitz him, the recipe is up front pressure coupled with exotic zones.

Rex actually did a good job vs Brady all things considered 

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

hell no my friend

playing cover 0 man blitz at the 50 yard line on 1st down is a suicide mission vs Brady 

If the Jets had Brady, BB wouldn't blitz him, the recipe is up front pressure coupled with exotic zones.

Rex had the most success against Brady of any coach we had

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

DVOA has Josh Allen as the # 28 QB in the NFL this season.   Worse than Andy Dalton and only slightly better than Joe Flacco.  He's being dragged along for the ride much like 2009-10 Mark Sanchez.  

Josh Allen's stats compared to Sam Darnold's

Josh Allen

Year Age Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Lng Y/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk GWD
Care Care   18 17 10-7-0 287 509 56.4 3398 17 19 75 6.7 11.8 188.8 72.5   43 7
2018 22 BUF 12 11 5-6-0 169 320 52.8 2074 10 12 75 6.5 12.3 172.8 67.9 49.8 28 3
2019 23 BUF 6 6 5-1-0 118 189 62.4 1324 7 7 51 7.0 11.2 220.7 80.2 36.9 15 4

Sam Darnold

Year Age Tm G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Lng Y/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk GWD
Care Care   16 16 5-11-0 301 519 58.0 3464 20 20 92 6.7 11.5 216.5 75.0   37 1
2018 21 NYJ 13 13 4-9-0 239 414 57.7 2865 17 15 76 6.9 12.0 220.4 77.6 45.5 30 1
2019 22 NYJ 3 3 1-2-0 62 105 59.0 599 3 5 92 5.7 9.7 199.7 64.7 27.4 7  

Josh Allen has taken a big step forward in Cmp% this year, going from 52.8% to 62.4% completion percentage, and what really jumps out to me is Josh Allen has 7 game winning drives thus far, and he's got 4 of those 7 in just this season alone. He's clearly taking a step forward, while Darnold is either taking a step back or spinning his wheels in the mud. Josh Allen is also a dual threat quarterback, and his ability to run the ball helps move the chains and put points up on the board. He's rushed for 11 touchdowns already compared to Darnold's 1 rushing touchdown. Like I said, I believe Josh Allen deserves a lot of credit for the Bills being 5-1. He's getting better as a quarterback and he's winning during crunch time. 

• Sympathy 1

hell no my friend
Not saying they'd play it the same way, but it wouldn't matter - the Pats got pressure when they rushed 3 down linemen. Pats defenders beat Jets blockers play after play. Some plays had 5-6 wins on a single play. Others at least 2-3. I've never seen anything like it, though I saw a bit of the Dolphins game and their OL was close to that level of ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Allen is what he is he’s a poor man’s Cam

Newton

Honestly it looks like out of the 2018 class only 2 QBs will actually be good players:

Lamar and

Sam 

The rest are mediocre, just above mediocre (Allen) or straight up trash (Mayfield)

7 minutes ago, isired said:

Not saying they'd play it the same way, but it wouldn't matter - the Pats got pressure when they rushed 3 down linemen. Pats defenders beat Jets blockers play after play. Some plays had 5-6 wins on a single play. Others at least 2-3. I've never seen anything like it, though I saw a bit of the Dolphins game and their OL was close to that level of ineptitude.

Brady is starting Marshall Newhouse at LT

don't look now but their line sucks too 

the difference is they were always sending an extra rusher and Sam couldn't find hot routes (or perhaps Gase doesn't know what those are)

put it another way if they had the Faneca line from 2009 and they could play red yellow green with Sam, they might win more but he's not developing, good line or not 

On 10/22/2019 at 8:04 AM, Jumbo2927 said:

Brady won a super bowl by then lol.

BB exposed Darnolds flaws for the league to see. It will be interesting to see if he can adjust. 

Any rational fan would say that the only consistency that Darnold has shown, is inconsistency. Too early to call this but in my opinion, this is NOT looking good. I hope I am completely wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Allen is what he is he’s a poor man’s Cam

Newton

Honestly it looks like out of the 2018 class only 2 QBs will actually be good players:

Lamar and

Sam 

The rest are mediocre, just above mediocre (Allen) or straight up trash (Mayfield)

A poor man's Cam Newton is better than a poor man's Sanchez 

I can't find any objective measurement whereby Darnold is better than Baker Mayfield

in fact he lost straight up when they played last year 

before 14 was ruined with mono and demonic visions 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

A poor man's Cam Newton is better than a poor man's Sanchez 

I can't find any objective measurement whereby Darnold is better than Baker Mayfield

in fact he lost straight up when they played last year 

before 14 was ruined with mono and demonic visions 

Yeah Baker is blowing the league away.

Allen has a better record than Darnold because Allen has a better surrounding cast, a better defense, and better coaches.   Darnold does not need to be replaced per se.   The easier and better answer is to build more around him.  That gets your to the playoffs.

But the Jets will be picking high this upcoming draft.  If a quality QB is available, they need to seriously consider taking that QB, if only to restart the cycle-use Siemian or someone else to start while a new rookie gets ready and they build a line.  Darnold bill comes due in 2 years.  Getting 4 years may not be a bad thing.

The alternative to that is to trade the pick for as much as they can get.  

What does not work is picking a DT or S high while QBS are on the board.  

On 10/22/2019 at 7:58 AM, Jumbo2927 said:

I think last night most rational Jets fan saw the writing on the wall that Darnold is not a franchise QB. Call it an overreaction, but in a league where second year QBs are doing amazing things ours just turned in one of the worst performances I have ever seen. 

With that said I have zero interest in taking another QB high in round 1. This organization sucks as drafting & developing QBs. The WRs and OL are bigger problems than Darnold.

So you think Darnold is NOT the answer at QB, and you refuse to take another qb with our first pick?!

fir the record i like Sam, and i would STILL take another qb in rd 1 to be safe

On 10/22/2019 at 11:32 AM, isired said:

Dude, they're not on the field at the same time. Sam is sprinting out vs. superior football players at every position. Was he scrambling? Yes. Did he gain yards? No. You have to have somewhere to go, abhole or a corner to gain, to get positive yardage. It wasn't there. 

I encourage you to watch this - it's one play, not a pass play, but it was happening ALL NIGHT if you looked away from the ball.

The Pat's defenders beat the Jets blockers worse than I've seen on any level. I played for and against some pretty bad teams in HS and college and never saw film like this.

This is why I wanted McCarthy.  Not to scheme up some elaborate offense, or try to imitate McVay or whatever.

I wanted a  coach who would have the team playing fundamentally sound football, and establishing a foundation for the team. This team is poorly coached  predictable, and Darnold is regressing. 

Oh well. 

Oh, and Edoga is exactly what I thought he was. Too small, not strong enough. He got ragdolled by some guy named Deatric Wise. Not great.