Wild Mangini tidbit from Francesa that made me puke

T0mShane

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

Sounds like Idzik regarding Geno—necessitating Rex putting Sanchez back into the Snoppid Bowl

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

This can’t be true. I can’t even picture Mangina having the balls to tell Woody to take a hike. I also couldn’t picture that spineless weirdo Woody bossing anyone around. He seems like a cuck douche. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Sounds like Idzik regarding Geno—necessitating Rex putting Sanchez back into the Snoppid Bowl

It’s a little different because Rex had already crashed the team and Idzik had to break it to him that the roster required a rebuild, which Rex thought was beneath him. You’ll remember when Idzik refused to give DRC #1 CB money and Rex—ever the baby—responded by starting SS Antonio Allen and his 4.7/40 at corner to embarrass the franchise. Mangini was still in the process building that team up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This can’t be true. I can’t even picture Mangina having the balls to tell Woody to take a hike. I also couldn’t picture that spineless weirdo Woody bossing anyone around. He seems like a cuck douche. 

Did you watch Hard Knocks with the Jets? Woody sat around the offices in his tennis outfit annoying the sh*t out of everyone. And Mangini’s problem was that he was notoriously abrasive. Definitely not afraid of confrontation.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dude. Wrong.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Did you watch Hard Knocks with the Jets? Woody sat around the offices in his tennis outfit annoying the sh*t out of everyone. And Mangini’s problem was that he was notoriously abrasive. Definitely not afraid of confrontation.

I watched it and he just seemed like a gnat. Maybe he annoyed mangina enough to snap back at him and it hurt precious Woody’s ego. Who knows. The franchise is just a history of the biggest losers in the NFL. 

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

i'm sorry, but I don't believe that story.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I watched it and he just seemed like a gnat. Maybe he annoyed mangina enough to snap back at him and it hurt precious Woody’s ego. Who knows. The franchise is just a history of the biggest losers in the NFL. 

Yeah, I just never got the impression that Mangini was meek, as you’re suggesting. This is a dude that bullied Revis to the point that Revis wanted to quit.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I just never got the impression that Mangini was meek, as you’re suggesting. This is a dude that bullied Revis to the point that Revis wanted to quit.

I got the opposite impression. Like he was only tough on players but afraid of his superiors. I don’t really have much basis but he always struck me as an obnoxious/overbearing camp counselor type except he didn’t diddle the players.....maybe Kerry Rhodes.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Wasn’t Mangini the one who green lit drafting Vern? 

My recollection was that the Jets did all they could to trade down and nobody wanted to come up for this guy.  Gholston was a classic risk/reward pick....either a Bosa or a bust.  We know how it turned out.  I just think the Jets couldn't stomach something like taking a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move down 8 spots, and that's probably all somebody was offering.

They held their nose and made the pick.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d take Mangini back tomorrow based on what we have seen here.  

• Upvote 1

Not surprising.  I'm sure there were many reasons why he was let go though.  I know on good record that the entire building hated him.  Like, everyone.  He was apparently not only impossible to play for but he was equally as impossible to work with which does lend credence to this being part of the issue and the fact that Mangini has disappeared of the face of the earth.

12 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

Not my first choice but we could sure do worse.

Fair enough.  I agree that we can probably find someone better but I definitely wouldn't be upset if we rehired him.  At the very least, I think he'd definitely bring a sense of professionalism back to the organization.  And I think being removed from the coaching ranks for a few years will probably give him some perspective.  If it were a choice between the options below, I'd absolutely take option C.  

A) Some unproven college coach

B ) Some crappy retread NFL HC

C) Eric Mangini

If I'm CJ though, I'd hand Urban Meyer a blank check.

• Upvote 1

A couple of things:

1) Francessa has been a Mangini fanboy since he started coaching the Jets in 2006. This isn't a new thing. 

2) That's a nice story, but Mangini was most likely fired because we went from 8-3 to 9-7 and out of the playoffs. 

I always liked Mangini as a coach and felt that we let him go a bit too early, but it's not like there wasn't a case to be made for dumping him. 

• Upvote 3