Wild Mangini tidbit from Francesa that made me puke

T0mShane

1 minute ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

You would rather have Darnold propped up so we can pretend he's a quarterback than get tested so we can actually found out. Why anybody would call you a hater is beyond me.

Because I have repeatedly said that he's not a good QB and he's nowhere near a shoe in to become one.

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Because I have repeatedly said that he's not a good QB and he's nowhere near a shoe in to become one.

To merely state “he’s not proven enough to be deemed a FQB” is trigger numero uno in JN right now. Even though it’s a simply pragmatic way of discussing the facts/evidence at hand.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

THIS OWNERSHIP GROUP SUCKS DICK

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Why not dig up some Pete Carroll quotes, too? Whats the point? The Jets give up fast on good coaches? Hire sh*t coaches to replace them? Well no sh*t. What's it worth doing that? I can go back to Walt Michaels. But what good is it???

Catharsis? Nostalgia? PTJSD?

Same with the draft.  Damn, we passed on Marino??  The idiots!

44 minutes ago, Coquito said:

Why not dig up some Pete Carroll quotes, too? Whats the point? The Jets give up fast on good coaches? Hire sh*t coaches to replace them? Well no sh*t. What's it worth doing that? I can go back to Walt Michaels. But what good is it???

Mangini looked really good in Cleveland 

Francesa has been on a pro-Mangini kick the last few days, which usually means someone from the Mangini camp is in Mike’s ear. Anyway, Mike shared something I’d never heard regarding why Mangini was fired after 9-7. Ready to puke? Here it is:::

Woody Johnson was upset that Vernon Gholston wasn’t playing more and Mangini told Woody to take a hike. 

Like, holy sh*t. Woody Johnson caping for Vernon f*cking Gholston and then Woody getting butthurt that Mangini wouldn’t relent on giving him playing time. Imagine that.

Puke central. Makes total sense too because Rex made it his mission the first summer to try and get something out of Gholston. He talked about it every chance he got.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Mangidiot is a scumbag. Sleepy Mike should stick to horse racing...

This is such an unbelievable load of nonsense.  It's so laughable when it comes to the wild revisionist history of Mangini, who was unbelievably mediocre and his firing fully supported at the time, but only changed in hindsight years later by those who desperately needed conspiracy theories just to make sure Tanny couldn't get credit for anything he ever did.

Mangini's sh*t-canning was quite obvious, and well deserved.  After a laughably bad 2007 season, they started to have a nice run in 2008, but then the team completely imploded in glorious fashion to finish off the remainder of the season.  For all the blame the Favre injury gets (and Mangini doing nothing about it), the other important detail so regularly forgotten is that while Mangini was completely ignoring the offense, his only action of choice was to strip Bob Sutton of playcalling and take it over himself, which is when the team's entire defense imploded, performing at a substantially worse level for the remainder of the year.

The reality of the situation is Mangini's entire career is dependent on an okay 2006 where they exceeded expectations before a playoff blowout loss to the Pats, and half a season in 2008 entirely dependent on an offense that saw Favre ignoring the coaches. He was never that good, and his miserable failure in Cleveland, highlighted by the supposed brilliant-GM-in-hiding trading for a bunch of Jets backups who were out of the league shortly thereafter, further proves that.  He was nothing more than one of many of the endless stream of Jets miserable failures of head coaches, quite literally the only difference was that since he wasn't given as many years to fail as those before or after him, some insisted anything positive that happened even years after he was gone must be credited to the guy we simply had the least amount of time to hate, regardless of how baseless those theories have always been.

But sure, let's just believe that not only does Woody have any friggin' clue the snap count of some individual player, but that's the sole motivation behind the firing of a crappy head coach long out of the league.  It's right up there with the nonsensical claims made in the past of Favre being forced on Mangini... you know, right before he named his friggin' kid after him.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Mangini was apparently heavily involved in the predraft screening. They had one of the more intense processes in the league at the time and he conducted the 1 on 1's in Indianapolis at the combine. Wanted guys who were team captains in college, lived for football etc. There were some misses (Schelgel) but the mid rounds produced a bunch of good and useful players for the Jets. He also drafted a few ring of honor guys at the top. Certainly better than what they've been doing over the last 12 years or so.

Yep, if I remember correctly, every player drafted in 2006 was a team captain for their college team. What a great way to start a rebuild, especially for a young head coach. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Mangini was apparently heavily involved in the predraft screening. They had one of the more intense processes in the league at the time and he conducted the 1 on 1's in Indianapolis at the combine. Wanted guys who were team captains in college, lived for football etc. There were some misses (Schelgel) but the mid rounds produced a bunch of good and useful players for the Jets. He also drafted a few ring of honor guys at the top. Certainly better than what they've been doing over the last 12 years or so.

Which makes it hard to believe Gholston would make it through an interview with Mangini. Hell, Parcells was as good as anyone at identifying edge rushers and he passed on Gholston to take Jake Long

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I just never got the impression that Mangini was meek, as you’re suggesting. This is a dude that bullied Revis to the point that Revis wanted to quit.

Then when he went to Cleveland he had some players supposedly in tears.  The guy was a Marine Drill Instructor, rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  For some reason I think he has more intelligence than all the coaches the Jets have hired since...combined.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, totally not true. Fatcessa bullsh*tting as usual. 

1 hour ago, CurtMart said:

Yeah, totally not true. Fatcessa bullsh*tting as usual. 

Even if it’s true I’m not sure what is the point.

Woody is an idiot?  Well ok 20% of jets fans might still not think that

Mangini was an overrated DC in New England, a bland conservative defensive playcaller who got Matt Cassell a huge contract and he sucked in Cleveland and San Francisco after sucking here