Jump to content
Maxman

Name one Jets offensive lineman that you definitely want back next year as a starter. You can't.

Recommended Posts

On 12/2/2019 at 8:51 AM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Quit this. It’s not even remotely true. The offensive line sucked out loud even healthy. This was always a 4-6 win team. Please. 

Always was a 4-6 win team except injury ravaged(including Sam's illness) we won 7 games. Imagine what a somewhat healthy roster could have done?  I think we'd be playing this weekend.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 9:31 PM, Maxman said:

 

Since we are not signing a top FA LT, I will have to say Beachem. Even a 1st round LT draft pick no matter who is a rookie and should not be thrown into the fire as the blind side Tackle until worked into the lineup properly. Lets see if Beachem will take a fairly modest 1-2 year deal to handle LT while another prospect is groomed for the job.

Just realized it is possible to sign top FA LT, but who would let one go or trade one to us?. Heck that is what we wanted for the potential Adams trade and Dallas declined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really curious to see how Douglas handles the OL situation. Obviously needs to be addressed in the draft. You don’t want to go into the draft obviously needing a starter - but you also want to make sure the draft picks can compete for early PT. Only guys on the roster right now are Harrison, McDermott, Edoga, and Braden - plus Winters who will almost certainly be cut.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Beachum is brought back for around $10M. Hard to go into the draft needing to find a starting LT plus two of the top three tackle prospects were on the right side this year. Would love to see at least one legitimate addition at guard and another upside guy. Bring in a tackle and a center before you’re through day 2 and a guard on day 2 or in the fourth. Beachum, Edoga, pick compete for tackle PT, FA and pick compete for guard PT, Harrison and pick compete for center. Depth and youth but no need to reach.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Always was a 4-6 win team except injury ravaged(including Sam's illness) we won 7 games. Imagine what a somewhat healthy roster could have done?  I think we'd be playing this weekend.

Which players that missed significant time would have changed losses to wins? It was a 4-6 win team talent wise, but they got lucky to play one of the worst schedules in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's hard to say for sure because the oline guys are so dependent on the guy playing next to them.  i know the line needs revamping but does that mean 3, 4 or 5?  one problem is it does take time for these players to work together and there are only so many practice sessions before the season starts.  want to go with free agents?  as others have said, the teams don't let their good tackles reach free agency and that may extend to centers and guards so the free agents are the guys who couldn't make a team or couldn't push an incumbent out or were pushed out because of a decline in play.  it's possible that some guys are pushed out because of blocking schemes.  we'll see. i think it's wishful thinking to think the jets will have a fully serviceable oline  on game one of next season.  there's still going to be some shuffling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which players that missed significant time would have changed losses to wins? It was a 4-6 win team talent wise, but they got lucky to play one of the worst schedules in the league. 

They started 11-12 different OL, Enunwa played one game, Herndon one game, Thomas came late and was hurt a bunch of games, Sam missed 3 games and played one with mono, we lost most of our LBs, Adams missed a couple of games, Williams missed time.  Are you kidding me?

You said fully healthy it was a 4-6 win team, with the team as injury ravaged as we have ever seen they won 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 4:04 AM, GREENBEAN said:


I’m
Actually thinking the same thing. I was so excited that we nabbed Pollack but I’m not exactly delighted with the blocking schemes this season.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Technically the bigger issue has been the lack of blocking schemes lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 9:36 PM, Maxman said:

Not as a starter though. There are none.

Harrison might have received some consideration. Then today happened.

I think Harrison might get a pass today because of the weather.  

Still think they draft a C early, Harrison can also play guard, so he's probably back, and will start until the kid is ready

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They started 11-12 different OL, Enunwa played one game, Herndon one game, Thomas came late and was hurt a bunch of games, Sam missed 3 games and played one with mono, we lost most of our LBs, Adams missed a couple of games, Williams missed time.  Are you kidding me?

You said fully healthy it was a 4-6 win team, with the team as injury ravaged as we have ever seen they won 7.

Which games that they lost would they have won fully healthy?

Other teams had just as many injuries, with higher quality players and did better. 

The only reason they won 7 games is because they played terrible teams with backup QBs and the defense over performed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably two returnees will start next year, assuming the Jets can acquire three new starters. If the Jets do not get at least three new starters, then the offseason has probably been a failure.

New starters: LT and C in draft (somewhere in first three rounds), one more either in FA (will have to overpay to sign someone, though), or a third in the draft.  You want a good OL? Then DRAFT for it.

Possible returners : Harrison (backup C/G), Edoga ( backup T/G let's see what he looks like after a full offseason), and Lewis (backup G/T). Maybe one of the current OT like Beachum can be brought back. But probably two of those guys just listed will be starters next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Which games that they lost would they have won fully healthy?

Other teams had just as many injuries, with higher quality players and did better. 

The only reason they won 7 games is because they played terrible teams with backup QBs and the defense over performed. 

No team had as many injuries along with suspensions and Sam's illness.

They would have beat Buffalo week 1, could have beat Cleveland, Philly, Jax, Miami, Cincy, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

No team had as many injuries along with suspensions and Sam's illness.

They would have beat Buffalo week 1, could have beat Cleveland, Philly, Jax, Miami, Cincy, 

Look at the Eagles without their top three wideouts and top three running backs and then tell me again. 

Injuries are a part of the game. Now it’s a crutch and an excuse. I’m over the excuses. Time to put up or shut up in 2020. 

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Look at the Eagles without their top three wideouts and top three running backs and then tell me again. 

Injuries are a part of the game. Now it’s a crutch and an excuse. I’m over the excuses. Time to put up or shut up in 2020. 

The Jets went 3-1 vs the NFC East (the lone loss coming with a practice squad QB) they would have had a chance to win that division and Philly didn't have anywhere near the injuries the Jets had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets went 3-1 vs the NFC East (the lone loss coming with a practice squad QB) they would have had a chance to win that division and Philly didn't have anywhere near the injuries the Jets had.

The Jets are not in the NFC east. But. Cool. 

And Philly has more impactful injuries. That’s just facts. Better players at more important positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Jets are not in the NFC east. But. Cool. 

And Philly has more impactful injuries. That’s just facts. Better players at more important positions. 

The fact that their QB was healthy for 16 games and ours 12 negates that statement immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nyjunc said:

The fact that their QB was healthy for 16 games and ours 12 negates that statement immediately.

The Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup. Coaching matters. And Carson Wentz threw for 4K yards without one wide receiver having more than 500 yards. So please go somewhere else with your injury excuses. It doesn’t hold water. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When Harrison became starter oline play was better than any time during the season Would like to see how his play improves with to road grader type guards playing next to him. Out of necessity need to bring back Beachum cause Edoga is just not ready to play left tackle at a high level. Would also like Bill Callahan to become OLine coach as well. I think he would have an immediate impact lording over this unit as Greg Williams did with the Defense 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Since we are not signing a top FA LT, I will have to say Beachem. Even a 1st round LT draft pick no matter who is a rookie and should not be thrown into the fire as the blind side Tackle until worked into the lineup properly. Lets see if Beachem will take a fairly modest 1-2 year deal to handle LT while another prospect is groomed for the job.

Just realized it is possible to sign top FA LT, but who would let one go or trade one to us?. Heck that is what we wanted for the potential Adams trade and Dallas declined.

Didn't Brick and Mangold both step right in as rookies and contribute?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Look at the Eagles without their top three wideouts and top three running backs and then tell me again. 

Injuries are a part of the game. Now it’s a crutch and an excuse. I’m over the excuses. Time to put up or shut up in 2020. 

Eagles got to play the NFC East 6 times.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The fact that their QB was healthy for 16 games and ours 12 negates that statement immediately.

Plus everyone says how easy the last 8 games the Jets had. Eagles had 6 games against 3 teams we beat .

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheClashFan said:

Probably two returnees will start next year, assuming the Jets can acquire three new starters. If the Jets do not get at least three new starters, then the offseason has probably been a failure.

New starters: LT and C in draft (somewhere in first three rounds), one more either in FA (will have to overpay to sign someone, though), or a third in the draft.  You want a good OL? Then DRAFT for it.

Possible returners : Harrison (backup C/G), Edoga ( backup T/G let's see what he looks like after a full offseason), and Lewis (backup G/T). Maybe one of the current OT like Beachum can be brought back. But probably two of those guys just listed will be starters next year.

Agree.

Replacing an entire 5-man starting OLine is simply impossible in one offseason.  We'll need to keep the best of this bad group and try to replace some key spots like LT and C.  I think Lewis could be a decent hold-the-fort starter at LG.  I'd have Shell and Edoga compete for RT.  I'd have Jonotthan Harrison penciled in at Center and hope to draft a Center.  We'll need to sign at least 2-3 FAs, hopefully a Tier 1 guy like Scherff and another starting caliber (if only average) OG.

Valuable draft capital (first 3-4 rounds) should be used on the most impactful OLine spots...finding that longterm LT and Center, just like we did back in 2006 in finding Mangold and D'Brick to anchor the line for a decade+.

Sign 2-3 guys, draft a LT (Round 1), Center (Round 2-3), developmental OG (Round 5 or later) should be the plan.  Sprinkle in a WR, CB and Edge rusher in the gaps between those picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JA33 said:

MISS ME YET!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Can't we make a forum rule banning this man's face.  I am totally 100 per cent serious.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pdxgreen said:

Can't we make a forum rule banning this man's face.  I am totally 100 per cent serious.

Agreed! Where do I sign up? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2019 at 9:31 PM, Maxman said:

 

I can name 3:

Edoga

Harrison

Shell

LT and both G spots should be upgraded.  I'd be ok with Harrison remaining as starter at C.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

The Eagles won a Super Bowl with a backup. Coaching matters. And Carson Wentz threw for 4K yards without one wide receiver having more than 500 yards. So please go somewhere else with your injury excuses. It doesn’t hold water. 

They won a SB with a QB that was a playoff QB as a starter that made a pro bowl not a practice squad QB that never took an NFL snap before.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

I can name 3:

Edoga

Harrison

Shell

LT and both G spots should be upgraded.  I'd be ok with Harrison remaining as starter at C.

Neither Shell or Edoga or Harrison should be brought back as a starter. They are all depth and below league average. All positions should be upgraded. 5 new starters isn’t out of the realm of possibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

5 new starters isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

beyond the realm of probability.

I think Beachum at RT would be a great signing.

But I really hope they go for size at the OG spots. I think that's the lynchpin of having an above average OL. Strength up the middle, for running and pass protection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Alex Lewis i want back next year as a starter 

change my mind 

Id look to see him have the ability to compete for the job. I don't see anyone benefiting from being penciled in as the starter at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Revamping the OLine starts with a new OLine coach.
I’m sorry but the guy they now have must go.

How about Callahan from the Skins


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bitonti said:

Alex Lewis i want back next year as a starter 

change my mind 

I think Beachum, Harrison and Lewis will all be back. Hard to replace everyone at once, if Beachum is starting at LT it will be interesting to see if Edoga gets stronger. He could be in the mix at RT, they like him. Then a center early in the draft and a guard in free agency (both definite starters hopefully). Lewis competes against a late round guard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...