Watt
Heyward
Dupree
Bush
Fitzpatrick
Haden

If you can't appreciate how Darnold managed the game you should stop
watching

Bush, Edmonds, Barrett, Nelson, Tuitt.  That D is loaded.  Darnold has a slightly above average game for QBs vs that D.   It’s a good thing 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, KRL said:

PIT defense came into the game with 49 sacks and 35 turnovers.  With
a talent base of:

Watt
Heyward
Dupree
Bush
Fitzpatrick
Haden

If you can't appreciate how Darnold managed the game you should stop
watching

It looked like he improved over his weakness, the blitz 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

thats fair.

we need more in the future.

I think we all agree with that.  Even the most positive Sam supporter has admitted he is still a work in progress.  Last year he was the youngest QB to start since the merger.  Also when you look at the lack of talent he had played with but still shown things to give us hope, that’s why people are high on him.  Not saying he is ever gonna be elite but I think he is gonna be a really good WB you can win with 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, maury77 said:

It's nice to see the team learning how to win these admittedly meaningless games. They are a young team and you have to hope that they can carry this into next season. 

These feel good wins at the end never translate to next year for a multitude of reasons. I'm guessing our roster gets churned around a third next year, some coaching changes, and then everyone will forget how they beat the Steelers last year. 

Competitive sports are a week to week basis especially with the roster turnover. The only ones that will be celebrating this win a year from now is some of the posters here. The win today cost us draft capital and didn't help one bit when we reach for the ultimate goal. 

15 minutes ago, RobR said:

These feel good wins at the end never translate to next year for a multitude of reasons. I'm guessing our roster gets churned around a third next year, some coaching changes, and then everyone will forget how they beat the Steelers last year. 

Competitive sports are a week to week basis especially with the roster turnover. The only ones that will be celebrating this win a year from now is some of the posters here. The win today cost us draft capital and didn't help one bit when we reach for the ultimate goal. 

So you basically don't think building programs and culture is a thing? 

Edit: I should add I don't necessarily think this game alone is any big program builder/changer.  The week to week basis comment is one I don't agree with though.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I think we all agree with that.  Even the most positive Sam supporter has admitted he is still a work in progress.  Last year he was the youngest QB to start since the merger.  Also when you look at the lack of talent he had played with but still shown things to give us hope, that’s why people are high on him.  Not saying he is ever gonna be elite but I think he is gonna be a really good WB you can win with 

The verdict on Darnold can’t be reached in until he plays under the guidance of a good offensive coordinator..That won’t be for at least a couple of years unfortunately. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

The verdict on Darnold can’t be reached in until he plays under the guidance of a good offensive coordinator..That won’t be for at least a couple of years unfortunately. 

More than anything he needs at least an adequate offensive line

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

Were just in ceedee lamb territory.  It’s all good. 

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So you basically don't think building programs and culture is a thing? 

Not at all when it comes to the NFL. It's why you can win or compete in the Super Bowl one year and completely suck the next. The two common denominators for success in the NFL is coaching and the QB.

This isn't college football.

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

More than anything he needs at least an adequate offensive line

Look, the OL has been stable and decent the last 4 games. Let's stop using this is the excuse for everything.

Today's game: had some good, but some of the same: late reads, sometimes overcome by his arm, sometimes not. And, a turnover (fumble) when in or near scoring territory.

BUT...to his credit, he gutted out a win and that's probably most important. And against an opponent the Jets don't normally beat. So, I'm going to give golf clap for baby steps in avoiding the game-losing play. That's real growth.

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, RobR said:

Not at all when it comes to the NFL. It's why you can win or compete in the Super Bowl one year and completely suck the next. The two common denominators for success in the NFL is coaching and the QB.

This isn't college football.

I agree it's not as important in the NFL.  I still think it's incredibly important.

Patriots are the prime example.  You say it's coaching and QBs.  That's true.  It's Belichick culture that makes them unique in my opinion, not his Xs and Os(even though he's good at those too).

To each their own.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I agree it's not as important in the NFL.  I still think it's incredibly important.

Patriots are the prime example.  You say it's coaching and QBs.  That's true.  It's Belichick culture that makes them unique in my opinion, not his Xs and Os(even though he's good at those too).

To each their own.

My biggest point is that by us winning this game it will have zero implications for the 2020 Jets. No one builds on winning meaningless games, they only fall further down the pecking order when it comes to the draft.   

32 minutes ago, RobR said:

our culture or the best chance at changing it around if at all possible is more important than the draft position. Sam and the rest of them have to believe they can win and the vibe in this and other close games is starting to not feel like the other shoe will drop, but that we will win in the clutch. At the end with a TD that could beat us I didn't feel it would occur just like I felt the O would get us some points and felt Fickens would hit the FG making Pitt need a TD they would not get. Heck, the TD they got was a fluke since that would have been the time you play 15 yards off a WR.

• Sympathy 1