Gettleman went on both radio stations while Joe Douglas skipped the usual end of season GM WFAN interview

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Why are you so utterly obsessed with this stuff?

I don't know maybe because I'm upset the Jets have decided to be the least available and give the least access to the fans than anyone in the league? When the Jets do things like not show winning locker room celebration that Bellicheck, Rex, and Bowles and every other team does I think its important to point it out.

Gettleman is in sales mode after hiring a Specials Teams coach as the new HC of the NYG.  Joe Douglas would prefer to let his actions speak I think.

It's a busy time right now.   What Joe D and his team are working on this morning, today, tonight and every day from now through the end of April will determine what 95% of this team looks like when the 2020 season starts.  I have no problem if Douglas is evaluating the shoe sizes of Offensive Tackles from the Pac-12 rather than talking to some guys named Evan and Joe.

9 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

I don't know maybe because I'm upset the Jets have decided to be the least available and give the least access to the fans than anyone in the league? When the Jets do things like not show winning locker room celebration that Bellicheck, Rex, and Bowles and every other team does I think its important to point it out.

What interesting info has anyone ever gathered from any of these press conferences or interviews?

It’s all just a bunch of standard, cliche GM/HC talk.

”Well obviously we need to get better moving forward”

”We’re going to add players who love football and love to compete”

Etc etc

I promise you, Joe Douglas wasn’t going to go on the FAN and divulge even a single iota of information pertaining to his offseason strategy with the Jets.

So really...who cares?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Gettleman is in sales mode after hiring a Specials Teams coach as the new HC of the NYG.  Joe Douglas would prefer to let his actions speak I think.

It's a busy time right now.   What Joe D and his team are working on this morning, today, tonight and every day from now through the end of April will determine what 95% of this team looks like when the 2020 season starts.  I have no problem if Douglas is evaluating the shoe sizes of Offensive Tackles from the Pac-12 rather than talking to some guys named Evan and Joe.

Hopefully i\he is working on contract extensions for Anderson 3/$30 and Jenkins 4/$50. Don't know if those # are reasonable, but he has to at least try to get them signed before hitting FA.

Hopefully the "D" loves Williams and want to stay due to him vs. biggest possible pay day.

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

It is customary for the GM to go on both radio stations at the end of the season. Mike Maccagnan and Tannenbaum went on WFAN after each season was over. I was looking forward with Joe and Evan taking over for Joe Douglas to come on with them. Of course as the new lack of access policy Joe skipped it. Will be interesting as now Joe and Evan take over the afternoons if the Jets will allow them to go down to training camp and interview Gase and Douglas.

I'll give him a pass. The guy had close to zero impact on this roster this season. 

Everything is on JD now that week 17 is done. 

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hopefully i\he is working on contract extensions for Anderson 3/$30 and Jenkins 4/$50. Don't know if those # are reasonable, but he has to at least try to get them signed before hitting FA.

Hopefully the "D" loves Williams and want to stay due to him vs. biggest possible pay day.

Robby for $10M/year sounds like a good, fair deal.  Jenkins for $12.5M per year sounds a tiny bit pricey but that's Free Agency I guess.  I'd have no problem with those two guys coming back at that those prices in a world where the Cap continues to go up.

30 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

As a paying Season Ticket Holder I get more access to the Jets than I ever have:

Fan Advisory Board - Invited to hear Jets brass and coaches speak and give feedback.

VIP OTA Access - Invited to watch the team practice about 10 feet behind the sideline.

VIP Training Camp Access - Invited to watch the team practice 10 feet behind the endzone.

Pregame Field Access - By accumulating rewards points, stand on sidelines at MetLife and watch players warm up.

Pregame Flag Holder - By accumulating rewards points, hold the flag and high five players prior to the National Anthem.

And then there are the outstanding SNY pregame and postgame shows, they have a mid-week show too.  The nicely produced (except for awful Eric Allen) One Jets Drive series.  The weekly Mic'd Up series.  Getting first on the field streams from (the excellent) Dan Graca.  That's a ton of Jets/fan interaction on TV and streaming.

Listening to that hack faker Beningo ask dumb questions and mumblebrag about how he is a long time dying old Jets fan?  No thanks.

SAR I

57 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

When the Jets do things like not show winning locker room celebration that Bellicheck, Rex, and Bowles and every other team does I think its important to point it out.

This is such a weird thing to care about, and you are entirely on an island with it. Some more transparency from Douglas would be nice though.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Douglas chickened out on the customary WFAN interview every GM before him did. That is not nonsense its a look at his psyche. He obviously was afraid to go on with the new afternoon guys Joe and Evan because he knows they have been highly critical of the organization.

More BS trolling. This is idiotic.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Douglas chickened out on the customary WFAN interview every GM before him did. That is not nonsense its a look at his psyche. He obviously was afraid to go on with the new afternoon guys Joe and Evan because he knows they have been highly critical of the organization.

You sound like a ******* idiot.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

The more openness and the more communication the better. Once the team starts winning you can pull back access. The way the Jets go about engaging the fanbase, communicating a strategy, its non existent. It’d be nice to get an update on what has changed operationally at Florham Park since Douglas took over personnel.  Why is it going to get better?  Bueller 

But hey, this strategy I guess works because judging by this thread expectations aren’t exactly high. Stats quo is encouraged. Sad. JMO. Let the finger wagging ensue.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You sound like a ******* idiot.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

More BS trolling. This is idiotic.

Okay give me a more plausible rational for skipping the traditional WFAN end of season interview? Don't even try to say he is to busy to take 10 minutes when every GM of the Giants and Jets before  him went on both stations.

So if it wasn't because he was uncomfortable going on with Joe and Evan what other reason can you give? I'm waiting........

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Hide the GM at all costs. It's what the Jets do. Douglas is more myth than GM at this point.

What is there to be gained in a radio interview?  That's just 20 minutes he should have been spending doing more prep for the offseason.  Nothing he says in those interviews will be useful information.  

Douglas' volume of TV/radio appearances will have zero to do with how well he does here. 

3 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Say this stuff about his "psyche" to Joe's face.  I dare you.  

hi-res-d5f7fa83c1010759be65a762ca1cc93a_

7 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

It is customary for the GM to go on both radio stations at the end of the season. Mike Maccagnan and Tannenbaum went on WFAN after each season was over. I was looking forward with Joe and Evan taking over for Joe Douglas to come on with them. Of course as the new lack of access policy Joe skipped it. Will be interesting as now Joe and Evan take over the afternoons if the Jets will allow them to go down to training camp and interview Gase and Douglas.

Buy a book and read it.

Get a dog and take him for a walk.

Contribute to a charitable cause with money or effort.

You obviously have a lot of free time, and should maybe consider doing something constructive with that.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

What is there to be gained in a radio interview?  That's just 20 minutes he should have been spending doing more prep for the offseason.  Nothing he says in those interviews will be useful information.  

Douglas' volume of TV/radio appearances will have zero to do with how well he does here. 

More the overarching appearance. If Jets ownership was comfortable with Douglas being visible they'd let it happen. We still have the same spaghetti structured org chart with a GM in witness protection and essentially two head coaches. The new President that replaced Glatt was an internal hire. Just doesnt feel like much has changed other than hoping Douglas picks the players better. A more transparent approach would have been a welcome change imo. Everyone knows the Jets needed to improve in all facets. Changing the faces and running everything entirely the same just wreaks of incompetent, insecure ownership getting the wool pulled over their eyes by Jimmy Sexton.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

More the overarching appearance. If Jets ownership was comfortable with Douglas being visible they'd let it happen. We still have the same spaghetti structured org chart with a GM in witness protection and essentially two head coaches. The new President that replaced Glatt was an internal hire. Just doesnt feel like much has changed other than hoping Douglas picks the players better. A more transparent approach would have been a welcome change imo. Everyone knows the Jets needed to improve in all facets. Changing the faces and running everything entirely the same just wreaks of incompetent, insecure ownership getting the wool pulled over their eyes by Jimmy Sexton.

We already know the Johnsons have kept the same org structure.  But Douglas has no say over that.  So I'd rather him spend his time looking at what we're gonna do with our picks and cap dollars than waste time trying to placate fans hoping things will be different. 

It's the same Owners.  So its the same old sh*t. But if Douglas can draft well, things can at least start to change a bit.  Maybe then Douglas will earn more clout with the owners and start to earn more power.

We all want the same thing:  The Johnson's to sell the team.  Nothing Joe does is going to change that.  

I was just listening to the FAN on the drive home. It started with Joe and Evan talking to Carl Banks for what seemed like three days with Banks, I believe, doing an impression of an extremely casual football fan talking in their sleep, and then it turned into Joe yelling “I DUNNO BRO” over and over again at Evan and Jon Heyman regarding the extremely pressing NY topic of Andruw Jones’ Hall of Fame candidacy. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I was just listening to the FAN on the drive home. It started with Joe and Evan talking to Carl Banks for what seemed like three days with Banks, I believe, doing an impression of an extremely casual football fan talking in their sleep, and then it turned into Joe yelling “I DUNNO BRO” over and over again at Evan and Jon Heyman regarding the extremely pressing NY topic of Andruw Jones’ Hall of Fame candidacy. 

While there is no empirical  evidence that Jones did steroids, he fits into that time period where use was rampant, and his subsequent drop off in numbers suggest he probably did. His numbers for a CF, when you consider his defense are astounding. 

This is now a more interesting topic than what the OP placed.

9 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Upvote for INFO.

I support JD's style thus far. WFAN can go feck off. 

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The more openness and the more communication the better. Once the team starts winning you can pull back access. The way the Jets go about engaging the fanbase, communicating a strategy, its non existent. It’d be nice to get an update on what has changed operationally at Florham Park since Douglas took over personnel.  Why is it going to get better?  Bueller 

But hey, this strategy I guess works because judging by this thread expectations aren’t exactly high. Stats quo is encouraged. Sad. JMO. Let the finger wagging ensue.

I just think that Belichick, the current president, even corporations have proven that there’s no incentive to have any relationship with the media or to try and market themselves through third party entities. Social media lets you control your own narratives and answer only the questions you feel like answering. The public doesn’t penalize anyone anymore for not being forthcoming or transparent. Everyone is stress-averse anyway, so if the GM or a politician or Boeing want to keep their secrets about a sh*t thing that happened, there’s really no pushback. You only get in trouble in this ecosystem if you open your mouth and say something that talking heads can turn into a news cycle’s amount of content. It is what it is.

• Upvote 1