What it looked like to have a #1 WR

GREENBEAN

Just watching the clock tick on the Ravens season here and trying to avoid my Baltimorian wife. Stumbled on this short vid of Bray Bray and dreamt of what might have been. Let's hope we get a big #1 WR in here very soon. Tee Higgins???  :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The Jets have had a lot of good receiving tandems. But the idea of having a true number 1 receiver is overrated and isn't really needed. Lav Coles and Jerricho Cotchery were an excellent tandem and really didn't have a true number 1. The last time the Jets had a true number 1 was Keyshawn Johnson. Key paired with Wayne Chrebet was a real nuisance for a DC. It was pretty much pick your poison. Key would always get doubled and Chrebet would kill single coverage.

• Upvote 2

Edwards was great for us and had a great chemistry with Sanchez, of course brainiacs Tannebaum and Ryan let him walk as a free agent. Even though Edwards did not do much after leaving the Jets, his value was greater to us than other teams.  Same could be said for Brad Smith.  Then they wonder why a young QB that won 4 playoffs games on the road went south. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Edwards was great for us and had a great chemistry with Sanchez, of course brainiacs Tannebaum and Ryan let him walk as a free agent. Even though Edwards did not do much after leaving the Jets, his value was greater to us than other teams.  Same could be said for Brad Smith.  Then they wonder why a young QB that won 4 playoffs games on the road went south. 

This is exactly what I meant by "dreaming of what might have been" 

That offseason was the worst and we have never recovered. I can remember being excited for that 2011 FA craziness after the hold up with CBA. Sitting at my desk watching the Jets squander the whole team for the idea of pairing Revis with Nnamdi Asomugha. We had a team of high character guys like Ellis, Cotch, Smith, Thomlinson etc that could keep Holmes in check. We let most of them go and watched as we brought in scumbag after scumbag. 

Sure the Decker/ Marshall year was great but that was a flash in the pan during a decade os almost total sucktitude. 

Could Douglass actually get us a damn team to be proud of????  Tee Higgins would be  good start if we can't grab a T at #11. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Drums said:

No, I think it was against Miami but in primetime as well. Anyway, watching that.... “get off me!”

The Jets were fun to watch that season. 

This was the best one of them all imo.  To think Edwards had one more game as a Jet. WTF were the Jets doing ?   lol 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

The Jets have had a lot of good receiving tandems. But the idea of having a true number 1 receiver is overrated and isn't really needed. Lav Coles and Jerricho Cotchery were an excellent tandem and really didn't have a true number 1. The last time the Jets had a true number 1 was Keyshawn Johnson. Key paired with Wayne Chrebet was a real nuisance for a DC. It was pretty much pick your poison. Key would always get doubled and Chrebet would kill single coverage.

I agree entirely.  When  I think #1 WR, I don't need to have that guy who dominates the offense touch count.It CAN be, but not required by me.  Just a 6'3" guy with speed, hands and an aggressive use of his own body to let everyone know the ball is his would do the trick. :)  

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

This is exactly what I meant by "dreaming of what might have been" 

That offseason was the worst and we have never recovered. I can remember being excited for that 2011 FA craziness after the hold up with CBA. Sitting at my desk watching the Jets squander the whole team for the idea of pairing Revis with Nnamdi Asomugha. We had a team of high character guys like Ellis, Cotch, Smith, Thomlinson etc that could keep Holmes in check. We let most of them go and watched as we brought in scumbag after scumbag. 

Sure the Decker/ Marshall year was great but that was a flash in the pan during a decade os almost total sucktitude. 

Could Douglass actually get us a damn team to be proud of????  Tee Higgins would be  good start if we can't grab a T at #11. 

Yes, I was also sick when let Cotchery go. Then they brought in Plaxico Burress directly from prison and 36 years oldDerrick Mason. Horrible job!!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

What a specimen he was. I would still love to know the damned story with him. Why he fell off a cliff. No one wanted him after this great season. he signed like a $1 mil contract with the niners. Craay craay

32 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

What a specimen he was. I would still love to know the damned story with him. Why he fell off a cliff. No one wanted him after this great season. he signed like a $1 mil contract with the niners. Craay craay

I believe Braylon had had some prior problems with alcohol and couldn't always be trusted to keep it together off the field. It was a very stupid move to let him go and keep the other clown from Pittsburgh who was nothing but trouble on the field.

Edwards seemed to disappear and I think the stigma was that since the Jets let him go there must be something wrong? We retained homes because Rex what's an egotist that believed if anybody ever beat him the guy must be great. What a meatball!

Braylon was actually a really cool dude and if you remember he was one of the original Fear the Beard guys LOL! to that I will say I also would like to see Tee Higgins as a JET. 

• Upvote 2

There is more than one way to build an offense.  You can win with a stable of 3 or 4 solid receivers but no true #1.  I actually prefer this approach, because you can't take away 3 or 4 weapons, but a good defense can limit an O if it is too reliant on one guy. 

Crowder is the only proven guy under contract.  We will need to sign a guy or 2 in FA -- either our own (Robby depending on his contract ask), or another solid vet that you can count on for 40-50 catches and 500-600 yards.  Hopefully we can find a 1st or 2nd round guy who can come in and contribute immediately who will not have to carry an offense.  If we can go into the season with Robby, Crowder, Rookie, Berrios and Smith that is not a bad group.  And if Berrios or Smith are not the answer and we need to bring back D Thomas on a one-year deal, I could live with that.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

There is more than one way to build an offense.  You can win with a stable of 3 or 4 solid receivers but no true #1.  I actually prefer this approach, because you can't take away 3 or 4 weapons, but a good defense can limit an O if it is too reliant on one guy. 

Crowder is the only proven guy under contract.  We will need to sign a guy or 2 in FA -- either our own (Robby depending on his contract ask), or another solid vet that you can count on for 40-50 catches and 500-600 yards.  Hopefully we can find a 1st or 2nd round guy who can come in and contribute immediately who will not have to carry an offense.  If we can go into the season with Robby, Crowder, Rookie, Berrios and Smith that is not a bad group.  And if Berrios or Smith are not the answer and we need to bring back D Thomas on a one-year deal, I could live with that. 

He was on his way to that 40-50 catches, 500-600 yards wish you stated earlier before he kept getting nicked up. If he can be healthy, I think he's a no-brainer. I would love to grab Tee Higgins at #11 if JD doesn't think the OL value is there at the time.  On another issue, where do you see Frohm  going in April, 2nd-3rd rd?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The Coles/Cotch duo continues to be the most underrated tandem in franchise history.  

Had the pleasure of meeting LC, and Marvin Jones, a few years ago in Tampa at the tailgate before the game. What class acts. I was wearing, as at every game, my Chrebet white real game jersey. When I went over to say hi to LC, he saw the jersey and already had a huge smile on his face. He loved Wayne. He and Cotch were special, no doubt.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, section314 said:

Had the pleasure of meeting LC, and Marvin Jones, a few years ago in Tampa at the tailgate before the game. What class acts. I was wearing, as at every game, my Chrebet white real game jersey. When I went over to say hi to LC, he saw the jersey and already had a huge smile on his face. He loved Wayne. He and Cotch were special, no doubt.

Too funny.  Marvin Jones tried to pick up my wife at a JN tailgate.  I hung out with LC in the club for a night.  Popping bottles.  Dude was cool as hell and totally down to earth.  We talked ball the whole night mostly Jets and not at one point did he make me feel like a goober for it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I loved Braylon Edwards... i know he had holes in his game and won't appear on any "best of" lists... 

but i love him all the same. 

Yep dude wanted to be here too....we were only ever 1 play away with him on the field ...such an exciting playmaker

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1