If only Goodell had balls like this....

7 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Astros front office seems to be a haven of villainy on a Mos Eisley level.  A few years ago that assistant GM got banned for life for hacking another team's scouting department. Its'sobvious they took career counseling seminars from the Cheats.

"These aren't the stolen signs you're looking for"

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Williams and Payton suspended for a year for bounties which have been going on since the dawn of time.

Pats cheating each and every year and pay some paltry fine and lose a pick or two.  No suspensions.

Cheaters prosper.

Yeah.  Baseball fans are saying its not enough and they are probably right.  Honestly though.  I think cheating is so ingrained in sports now that people are just numb to even trying to stop it.  There Is literally nothing you can do.  The gains far outway the punishment.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I know it would never happen, but if you're found guilty of cheating in a WS, the title should be stripped. Period. Otherwise there's no penalty.

Every single team would trade their Manager and GM for 2 WS rings. The Manager and GM would probably trade their jobs for that run. This won't stop anyone from trying to cheat.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, isired said:

I know it would never happen, but if you're found guilty of cheating in a WS, the title should be stripped. Period. Otherwise there's no penalty.

Every single team would trade their Manager and GM for 2 WS rings. The Manager and GM would probably trade their jobs for that run. This won't stop anyone from trying to cheat.

Then do you strip the teams of titles that had players on steriods? Where does it end? I think the Commissioner  did the best he could under the circumstances.

• Upvote 1

Then do you strip the teams of titles that had players on steriods? Where does it end? I think the Commissioner  did the best he could under the circumstances.

Every team had players on steroids.

And I know there are other forms of cheating, but this was egregious. You watch the videos with the ball flying out of the park after the loud bangs and you know it played a big part in getting those rings. The Astros championships are waaaaay more tarnished than even the Pats*.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

47 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

They should have added a postseason ban for 3 years orso to that. That would have hurt in the wallet and the ledger

That would hurt the MLB's bottom line.  Can't have a 162-game season play out where a team knows it is ineligible to make the playoffs.  Let alone 3 seasons.

This is absolutely ruthless punishment, and it perfect fits the crime. 

Stripping a title in professional sports isnt realistic at all no matter how much we all know it should happen. 

I think the NFL absolutely has egg on their face today after this announcement and I bet you a dollar they are reevaluating their punishment for the Pats at least a little bit. 

We were supposed to already have the results of the investigation by now, but still nothing. Feel like they got wind of this coming and knew they either had to up their own punishment or delay until it falls out of the public eye further. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JTJet said:

Stripping a title in professional sports isnt realistic at all no matter how much we all know it should happen. 

Yep.  And it really wouldn't matter much.  The team still made tons of money and the fans still have the memories.  No one really cares when they do it at the collegiate level, either.

• Upvote 1

Theres nothing ruthless about a penalty that wouldn't stop anyone from doing it again.

They stole the title. Listening to the commentator talk live, not knowing what was going on yet, about how the pitcher 'must be tipping his pitches' because they're all over him is priceless. They hit that way because they cheated. They won because they hit that way. They won because they cheated.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, isired said:

Every team had players on steroids.

And I know there are other forms of cheating, but this was egregious. You watch the videos with the ball flying out of the park after the loud bangs and you know it played a big part in getting those rings. The Astros championships are waaaaay more tarnished than even the Pats*.

Not a chance.  

You can steal signs without going to these extremes.  The Dodgers and others accused the Giants of stealing signs and using lights to signal them in way back in the 50's.  

This isn't over stealing my signs, it's about the blatant way they did it

The punishment is not enough in baseball terms.  

Any team in baseball would trade 2 firsts and 2 seconds, 5 million dollars and their coach/GM for one year in turn for a championship.  

What makes is hurt the Astros is them firing their GM who turned that team from a laughing stock to year in and out competitive team.  

The penalties levied by MLB were weak imo though.  

The NFL empire was built on gambling.

All those years of publishing injury reports to protect point spreads were a magor reason the sport has grown the way it has. The tv money? Gambling based. Football isn’t the most popular sport, it’s the most popular to bet, and people want to watch their “action”.

So what am I saying here?

The NFL could care less what MLB did today. With the number of states legalizing gambling growing, the NFL will become more and more monolithic. Heck, next year a team will be playing in Vegas. Did anyone over 50 think they would live to see that?

Nothing will slow down the train. Forget a cheating scandal doing it, not even a gambling scandal could at this point. Every day more and more people get more addicted, and need their fix.

23 minutes ago, isired said:

Theres nothing ruthless about a penalty that wouldn't stop anyone from doing it again.

They stole the title. Listening to the commentator talk live, not knowing what was going on yet, about how the pitcher 'must be tipping his pitches' because they're all over him is priceless. They hit that way because they cheated. They won because they hit that way. They won because they cheated.

Watching Altuve just guess right all the time was mind blowing. Dude was lunging at pitches and generating power people his size have never been able to.

This explains a lot.

Not a chance.  
You can steal signs without going to these extremes.  The Dodgers and others accused the Giants of stealing signs and using lights to signal them in way back in the 50's.  
This isn't over stealing my signs, it's about the blatant way they did it

Exactly. By doing it blatantly (using video to steal signs and a clear audible sign to tell the batter) so that the batter knew with 100% certainty what pitch was coming, they influenced the outcome far more than anything that's ever been done.

Nothing attempted in the 50s is close. Nothing has been proven in a comparable era.

26 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Manager and GM fired.  

Its official

Doesn't seem fair.  The GM had no knowledge, but is "held accountable" for the actions of the team?  So he loses his job? No players?  So they are stealing signals?  Who the **** is it benefiting?  Typical bullsh*t cover-up.  I tend to agree they are all cheaters to some extent, but it feels good to have the moral high ground as a Yankee fan.  The payroll always feels somewhat dirty.