Jets Re-sign Alex Lewis

Lith

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Now just bring back Beachum, and Shell and we should be good to go! LOL

Seriously though, this move is fine if we upgrade the other guard spot.

I think by signing Fant he takes Beachum's LT spot and they won't re-sign him. They will draft an OT in round 1 or 2 and that will be the starter for either RT if not ready for LT or LT and Fant goes to RT with Chuma backing up both spots. Then you keep one more T on the roster as a backup to those 3. Beachum's run on the Jets is likely over. If we are shelling out 10+M a year or more for any T left on the market it would be T. Williams and nobody else including Beachum.

35 minutes ago, LSJF said:

This line will get Sam Killed...Or shell-shocked

Don't think so, they were getting better at the end of last year and if Fant successfully takes Beachum's spot and provide some better run blocking we now just need to improve the right side of the line at RG/RT. I thought Lewis and Harrison did good jobs. Before they got in there starting that is when the line was mostly in shambles with Osmole and Kalil.

• Upvote 1

Called this player and dollars on the money in mid-January. I know all. I may change my screen name to The Soothsayer. Has a nostalgic ring to it.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:31 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Lewis at least $6MM (harder to predict, but he's a starting guard. Don't go by his 2019 cap number, since that was the final year of his rookie contract)

On 1/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Second most likely is Lewis, just because Douglas gets to re-up a guy he brought in, but it really depends on the bucks. If he is retained, it'd be a swap not an addition: they'll keep Lewis or Winters, but not both. The advantage to keeping Winters instead is he can be cut after the draft or over the summer with no cap penalty, should a rookie show more worthy of starting over him already. If they re-sign Lewis they're locked into him for the year, and probably don't save much (if anything at all) over the scheduled $7MM for Winters.

Then again I also thought he'd re-sign Beachum, but there are zero people on earth who imagined we (or anyone) would go after Seattle's backup tackle/blocking TE at $10MM/year back then. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LSJF said:

This line will get Sam Killed...Or shell-shocked

Shell-shocked isn’t coming back..

Your right it looks like back-up/Scrubs Oline. Lewis deal seems his best. Although his early record here isn’t encouraging. Kelechi Osemele Situation and Ryan Kalil was a complete disaster.

He’s got a lot to prove..

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Called this player and dollars on the money in mid-January. I know all. I may change my screen name to The Soothsayer. 

Then again I also thought he'd re-sign Beachum, but there are zero people on earth who predicted we (or anyone) would go after Seattle's backup tackle at $10MM/year back then. 

Soothsayer, you know that Jets Insider is done..

On 3/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, 14 in Green said:

Yawn.

JD getting the band back together again isn't exactly what I was hoping for this week, but at this point, who gives a s*it? We're a 4th place tanking team next year.

We were 30 minutes from a SB appearance in 1998 with a guy named Todd Berger at OG. It'll be fine. 

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't it closer to $7M?  400K per game is $6.4M + 1/3 the signing bonus.  Not sure about the roster bonus.  If I add all those numbers up it seems like more than $18.6M, so maybe I am confused on this.

He receives $2.5M signing bonus which doesn't count towards the cap. $2 mil roster bonus that'll be prorated throughout the 3 years. He can make $400k for playing all 16 games. Therefore $25k per game.

My cap number is wrong however you were right yourself as you're for sure confused. Im wrong, you're right ?

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Isn't it closer to $7M?  400K per game is $6.4M + 1/3 the signing bonus.  Not sure about the roster bonus.  If I add all those numbers up it seems like more than $18.6M, so maybe I am confused on this.

as LAD said, it’s $400K in per-game bonuses total, not $400K per game. They often word it that way even though the confusion is obvious.

37 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

He receives $2.5M signing bonus which doesn't count towards the cap. $2 mil roster bonus that'll be prorated throughout the 3 years. He can make $400k for playing all 16 games. Therefore $25k per game.

My cap number is wrong however you were right yourself as you're for sure confused. Im wrong, you're right ?

Leave me alone.  It's late!

The thing I am still confused about is why you say that the signing bonus doesn't count towards the cap.  Isn't it pro-rated? I thought the signing bonus was pro-rated and the roster bonus counted for that year?  I'm not going to pretend I read anything on this contract, but if it was a $2M roster bonus for 2020, it should count against this year's cap.  Right around your $4M figure: $2M in roster + 1.1M salary + 400K in per game bonus + 833K pro-rated signing bonus.  

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

as LAD said, it’s $400K in per-game bonuses total, not $400K per game. They often word it that way even though the confusion is obvious.

Ah.  Duh.  That makes sense.  I don't think it's the first time that wording has caught me. 

28 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Leave me alone.  It's late!

The thing I am still confused about is why you say that the signing bonus doesn't count towards the cap.  Isn't it pro-rated? I thought the signing bonus was pro-rated and the roster bonus counted for that year?  I'm not going to pretend I read anything on this contract, but if it was a $2M roster bonus for 2020, it should count against this year's cap.  Right around your $4M figure: $2M in roster + 1.1M salary + 400K in per game bonus + 833K pro-rated signing bonus.  

Ah.  Duh.  That makes sense.  I don't think it's the first time that wording has caught me. 

The penalty of cutting a player is pro-rated in relation to his signing bonus, however the signing bonus is due at signing. That's why Tanny would restructure those old vets and give them signing bonus which would provide us more cap space to operate as that maneuver doesn'tcount towards the cap, however led us into cap hell as those players couldn't be cut.

I thought the roster bonus counted for that year as well.

"$2 million roster bonus (due on March 22, 2020).  The roster bonus was considered fully guaranteed at signing, thus will pro-rate over the contract.  Lewis can earn up to $400,000 each year of the contract through per game active roster bonuses."

-Overthecap

They have his cap figure at $2.975M