Jonotthon Harrison

TNJet

2 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

This is the type of backup interior lineman that you want. It allows draft picks to develope while he potentially backs up all 3 interior spots. You need at least 1 solid backup interior lineman and 1 backup swing tackle to cover the OL. Basically 7 important players on the OL. 

Its virtually impossible to find a backup center who is as good an experienced as Harrison.  There is zero reason he isnt on this team and Id argue Id try to extend him another year at a low price and just guarantee it. 

He isnt a top 15 center but hes also not a bottom 5 and for what he gets paid, keep him here and give Sam a safety net at a valuable position.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

For $2.25 I assume he’s kept as backup IOL. We’ll see after draft and what happens with Winters

Right. I like that We're keeping Winters around until we know what's up. Remember when Macc cut long and we had a terrible o line situation last year?  I remember it.  long would have been nice to have around even at G last year instead of Compton or even Winters. 

Keeping a vet around as insurance until we take care of the position is smarty pants stuff. 

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right. I like that We're keeping Winters around until we know what's up. Remember when Macc cut long and we had a terrible o line situation last year?  I remember it.  long would have been nice to have around even at G last year instead of Compton or even Winters. 

Keeping a vet around as insurance until we take care of the position is smarty pants stuff. 

totally agree. The Jets can cut Winters anytime after seeing how the rest of FA and the draft goes.  Same with Harrison. 

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

totally agree. The Jets can cut Winters anytime after seeing how the rest of FA and the draft goes.  Same with Harrison. 

Right and I expect they will. It's been outside of our normal way of handling FA, but JD has actually done a nice job of focusing on the line while retaining his value for such players. I like that the first 3 moves we made were o line just like he implied it would be. 

Paying just about $9, $9 and $6 mil for each guy is pretty damned good especially when you consider just how strong McGovern is at the C position. he is quite literally the best C in Fa and one of the better in the league. We now have an average starter as our reserve C in Harrison and that position is well taken care of for this year. Lewis at $6 mil is not guaranteed to start but will most likely be given full opportunity to battle for the job with some other guy we bring in. That's fantastic!  Fant is kind of an unknown overall but has major upside with a lot of athletic ability. If he works out as the starting left or right tackle we will have gotten a steal. At worst he's a good backup to the Rookie hopefully. Not too bad for the first 36 hours. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Right and I expect they will. It's been outside of our normal way of handling FA, but JD has actually done a nice job of focusing on the line while retaining his value for such players. I like that the first 3 moves we made were o line just like he implied it would be. 

Paying just about $9, $9 and $6 mil for each guy is pretty damned good especially when you consider just how strong McGovern is at the C position. he is quite literally the best C in Fa and one of the better in the league. We now have an average starter as our reserve C in Harrison and that position is well taken care of for this year. Lewis at $6 mil is not guaranteed to start but will most likely be given full opportunity to battle for the job with some other guy we bring in. That's fantastic!  Fant is kind of an unknown overall but has major upside with a lot of athletic ability. If he works out as the starting left or right tackle we will have gotten a steal. At worst he's a good backup to the Rookie hopefully. Not too bad for the first 36 hours. 

And no one is saying we have a great OL but we have a smartly constructed OL for 2 days in, which is the biggest difference. No over compensation, no grossly overpaying. Each of the 3 new OL are young guys with upside. Mcgovern is probably the only guaranteed to be on the roster in 2021. Fant and Lewis will all get paid decent money year 1 and if they overperform we have them at discounts for 2 more years. If they underperform they can be let go with reasonably low cap hits.

Mcgovern is a good pass protector and a meh run blocker- fine, so long as Sam Darnold isn’t taking hits

we now have great flexibility in the draft without desperate needs along the OL. It’s below average but if all 4 OT’s are gone by 11 we don’t have to reach for Jones or Austin Jackson.  Take Ceedee or Jeudy then and come back in round 2 for OL if circumstances work out that way

Itd be nice to get a wideout and Cb signed, see how the next few days go but so far solid

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, David Harris said:

And no one is saying we have a great OL but we have a smartly constructed OL for 2 days in, which is the biggest difference. No over compensation, no grossly overpaying. Each of the 3 new OL are young guys with upside. Mcgovern is probably the only guaranteed to be on the roster in 2021. Fant and Lewis will all get paid decent money year 1 and if they overperform we have them at discounts for 2 more years. If they underperform they can be let go with reasonably low cap hits.

Mcgovern is a good pass protector and a meh run blocker- fine, so long as Sam Darnold isn’t taking hits

we now have great flexibility in the draft without desperate needs along the OL. It’s below average but if all 4 OT’s are gone by 11 we don’t have to reach for Jones or Austin Jackson.  Take Ceedee or Jeudy then and come back in round 2 for OL if circumstances work out that way

Itd be nice to get a wideout and Cb signed, see how the next few days go but so far solid

Well said. This is pretty much how I see it. If we miss out on the top 4 or 5 T in the 1st I'm ok with pivoting to WR and then going Prince Tega Wonoghu in the 2nd. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well said. This is pretty much how I see it. If we miss out on the top 4 or 5 T in the 1st I'm ok with pivoting to WR and then going Prince Tega Wonoghu in the 2nd. 

yep.  i think that's a good play since there don't seem to be any really good wr's in free agency.  i wouldn't be angry if robbie was re-signed to help shepard the new guy but they could get that done by re-signing thomas or going after sanders.

14 hours ago, KRL said:

He's in his perfect role now, backup C

He is a solid starter but absolutely the perfect backup C.   And can play G.  McGovern too.     This OL should definitely be improved.  People aren't high on the Fant signing but he is talented and athletic. Also versatile.  Edoga's development and the OT we draft in the  first or 2nd round will be key for this year and beyond.   Edoga showed some flashes .  it's a big offseason.    Let's hope the coronavirus doesn't delay the offseason for too long