OT: I just tested positive with COVID

1 hour ago, Losmeister said:

i failed to bookmark it....  gahh!      been reading so much

People tested are those sick enough to go need a test... also a big difference between a precautionary hospitalization and ICU. NY probably has over a million undetected cases, how do you track a virus where 90% of individuals are asymptomatic? You don’t .

• Upvote 1

"Late Sunday, the city released stark new figures that showed 1,800 people hospitalized, including 450 in intensive care units. All told, the city reported 10,764 positive cases of coronavirus, with more than 3,000 cases each in Brooklyn and Queens. "

whats 1800/10764? 16.7%?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/22/nyregion/Coronavirus-new-York-epicenter.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

again, i apologize if my ear;lier post was incorrect...  coulda sworn i read it...    staying awake all night can make me fuzzy...

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

nyc is seeing 20% of all known , tested positive, cases in hospital...

Know of someone who was exhibiting symptoms and was told not to go to hospital, to simply isolate unless things get worse. She was never tested. Suspect many people have it, and 20% of those tested do have it. But in terms of a Venn diagram there are a lot of people who have symptoms and might test +  who are not in extremis. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

What bugs me the most at how some states and federal agencies are dealing with this very serious problem is the failure to shut down simply because their state or agency is not as severely impacted as of yet. So NY DC Calif Ill are all shutting down because they are experiencing very serious situations which is understandable but states like Texas are lagging behind because its not as serious "yet" .

If you want to stop the spread of this I would think you shut down before it gets serious and wait it out for 14 days or whatever the recommended time is maybe 3 0r even 4 weeks . Texas had only a few cases about 10 days ago mostly in the single digits in some areas so rather than shut down they wait, now it's in the hundreds so today they are shutting some things down too little too late . My plant the Bureau of Engraving & Printing is letting people telework but the people who actually print the money (me) get to keep producing money in close quarters using the same equipment, computers, and turnstiles every single day and are at much more risk than the people who are now teleworking were. Even though we are way ahead on the 2020 order they chose to keep us working since there have been no cases in the BEP as of yet, once again flawed logic. Once again money rules all even in the face of Illness or death. Still waiting to see a state not fully affected by this to step up and shut sh*t down and be a bit proactive

Be safe, Smash. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

What bugs me the most at how some states and federal agencies are dealing with this very serious problem is the failure to shut down simply because their state or agency is not as severely impacted as of yet. So NY DC Calif Ill are all shutting down because they are experiencing very serious situations which is understandable but states like Texas are lagging behind because its not as serious "yet" .

If you want to stop the spread of this I would think you shut down before it gets serious and wait it out for 14 days or whatever the recommended time is maybe 3 0r even 4 weeks . Texas had only a few cases about 10 days ago mostly in the single digits in some areas so rather than shut down they wait, now it's in the hundreds so today they are shutting some things down too little too late . My plant the Bureau of Engraving & Printing is letting people telework but the people who actually print the money (me) get to keep producing money in close quarters using the same equipment, computers, and turnstiles every single day and are at much more risk than the people who are now teleworking were. Even though we are way ahead on the 2020 order they chose to keep us working since there have been no cases in the BEP as of yet, once again flawed logic. Once again money rules all even in the face of Illness or death. Still waiting to see a state not fully affected by this to step up and shut sh*t down and be a bit proactive

Hong Kong is now seeing a resurgence of cases.  This is a warning that trying to "go back to normal" too soon and relaxing policies is not a good idea.

Hong Kong (CNN)Only a week ago, Hong Kong seemed like a model for how to contain the novel coronavirus, with a relatively small number of cases despite months of being on the front lines of the outbreak

That was in large part thanks to action taken early on, while cases were spreading across mainland China, to implement measures that are now familiar throughout the world: virus mapping, social distancing, intensive hand-washing, and wearing masks and other protective clothing. 

Hong Kong was proof that these measures worked, with the city of 7.5 million only reporting some 150 cases at the start of March, even as the number of infections spiked in other East Asian territories like South Korea and Japan, and spread rapidly across Europe and North America. 

Now, however, Hong Kong is providing a very different object lesson -- what happens when you let your guard down too soon. The number of confirmed cases has almost doubled in the past week, with many imported from overseas, as Hong Kong residents who had left -- either to work or study abroad, or to seek safety when the city seemed destined for a major outbreak earlier this year -- return, bringing the virus back with them
On Monday, Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam announced that all non-residents would be barred from the territory as of Wednesday, the latest addition to a raft of new measures. 

This is a pattern playing out across parts of Asia -- mainland China, Singapore, Taiwan -- that were among the first to tackle the outbreak. All are now introducing new restrictions as a sudden wave of renewed cases begins to crest. 

Compared to major cities in the West, like London or New York, residents in Hong Kong can sometimes feel as if they're living in the future. Many of the measures enacted in the Asian metropolis back in February are now being rolled out in European and American cities. 

But this latest lesson may be a bitter pill to swallow, as it indicates that quarantines and social distancing must continue well beyond the initial wave of cases, if another round of infections is to be avoided. 
For those just going into lockdown, that could mean they're in for the long haul.

Waves of infection

On March 2, after several weeks of working from home, the majority of Hong Kong's 180,000 civil servants returned to their offices. Private employers, which have largely been taking their lead from the government, followed suit, and the city's subway system, though never exactly empty, was suddenly flush with people again. 

This seemed like a reasonable measure at the time. Even as cases were on the rise in Italy and elsewhere, there were then only 100 confirmed in Hong Kong, and in mainland China the number of new infections was beginning to stabilize. 

It was natural therefore that people began to relax somewhat, not only going to work instead of staying home, but also having dinner together, going to the park, and attending weddings and other large social gatherings. While face masks were still common, some people could be spotted going uncovered, particularly for short trips, and there was a general sense of slowly getting back to normal.

In the week that followed the March 2 return to work, there were only five new cases in Hong Kong, most of which were imported.

Numbers remained low until around March 16, when dozens of new cases were confirmed. It soon became clear that while the majority were coming from overseas, quarantine measures in place were not sufficient, and local transmission had resumed. 

Since then, the city has been racing to get back on top of the outbreak, with draconian new controls put in place, including electronic tagging of all new arrivals, who must undergo a strict 14-day home quarantine, and could face criminal prosecution if they are found in breach of it. Over the weekend, police could be seen patrolling nightlife districts looking for those violating quarantine, arresting at least five people, two of whom had cut their wristbands off in order to go out. 

As of Monday, civil servants are working from home again, and many private businesses are expected to follow suit. One of the government's top health advisers has warned that authorities may have to order a more comprehensive shutdown and provide financial assistance to those affected, if it is to contain the new wave of infections. 

All non-residents will be barred from the territory as of Wednesday. The city's international airport will also no longer allow travelers to transit through Hong Kong. Anyone arriving in the city will have to undergo testing, regardless of their origin. Many bars and restaurants will also be closed, with initial restrictions focused on those serving alcohol.

No time to relax

Speaking Saturday, Lam said that so far the city has "effectively and safely sailed through two waves of epidemic." 

"The first wave was the worries of transmissions from mainland (China), so we have put in a lot of measures," she said. "The second wave was the local transmissions, with those clusters arising from dinners and other things. Now we are facing the third wave."

Lam said that it was "only natural" that as the number of new cases subsides, people start "to relax a bit," and this is what happened towards the start of March. But she said that "in light of the changing circumstances and this most difficult and challenging wave arising from a surge in the global situation and the large number of returnees, then we have to adjust."

Singapore on Sunday introduced stringent new restrictions on travelers from overseas, as that city too struggles with imported cases and a potential second wave. Taiwan, another territory credited with effectively containing the initial outbreak, is also adopting new measures to avoid a spike in imported infections. 

In the Chinese capital Beijing, all international flights are now being diverted to other cities in China, as the number of imported cases continues to rise. 
Asia is weeks, if not months, ahead of the West when it comes to the coronavirus pandemic. Countries across Europe and North America were slow to learn from those who had already been through it, leaving themselves vulnerable to the rapidly worsening health crises they are experiencing now. 

Hopefully they will not ignore Asia's latest lesson: even when it seems like the coast is clear, keep your guard up.

• Upvote 2

It also has a video from the Asian guys from the TV show "Lost".  He was awesome in that show, I guess he had it carona but I think it actually effected him more than just mild flu symptoms. In any case, good news that some good results are coming. 

Also I love all the people posting percentages knowing they aren't counting everyone who actually has it, I don't get the need to try to make an already terrible virus seem worse. It serves no purpose other than to agree with a bunch of hacks that definitely do not have any persons best interest at heart. 

Here Nancy a direct link so your not triggered https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/florida-man-with-coronavirus-says-drug-touted-by-trump-saved-his-life/

9 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

source?

at the VA they literally just ask you 4 questions, not sure about civilian hospital. But there are millions of people I imagine that have had it or have it with no symptoms. But that is just a guess based on the contagiousness of this virus, the one thing we do know with our a doubt is most of the deaths are due to other health problem overall and those deaths that we do have a considerably low.

7 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

My wife trying to get tested 

I dunno if you read the thread I’m a confirmed positive all my testing posts are from my first hand experiences 

i musta missed that , glad you're doing ok.

so, NYC saying that they are testing 16k/daily...       they are all REAL SICK?

1 minute ago, Losmeister said:

i musta missed that , glad you're doing ok.

so, NYC saying that they are testing 16k/daily...       they are all REAL SICK?

I don’t know about everywhere but here’s how it went for my family 

last Monday my brother woke up with symptoms he was able to get tested at the urgy center that day 

Wednesday night I showed symptoms, called the ny health hotline 2 hours on hold they took an intake form and told me they would call me back. They were prioritizing the tests and I was towards the bottom do you symptoms and age and no confirmed contact 

Decided to call urgy center direct told them I had a fever and was in contact with someone we suspect had it. They told me that wasn’t enough to get tested. Wait to see if the person gets a confirmed positive and then I can call back for a test 

Thursday mid day my brother results come back positive. I call the urgy center. They set me up an appointment. I go in Thursday night. They basically told me with the symptoms and the known contact it’s safe to assume you are positive

Friday brothers girlfriend has a fever nothing else. They told her they will test her but she is a lower priority because she is young and no underlying medical conditions. She finally gets in Saturday for a test 

fast forward Monday. My wife wakes up with fever. My test results confirm what we already know that I have it. We call the urgy center. Wife has fever lives with confirmed positive. No other real symptoms. No health problems. She was told they’re not gonna test her to assume she has it and take the precautions she would with a test

the actual testing at this point is moot. It’s ALMOST a guarantee that if your health and have a fever at this point your infected. 

11 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

last Monday my brother woke up with symptoms he was able to get tested at the urgy center that day 

Wednesday night I showed symptoms, called the ny health hotline 2 hours on hold they took an intake form and told me they would call me back. They were prioritizing the tests and I was towards the bottom do you symptoms and age and no confirmed contact 

Decided to call urgy center direct told them I had a fever and was in contact with someone we suspect had it. They told me that wasn’t enough to get tested. Wait to see if the person gets a confirmed positive and then I can call back for a test 

Thursday mid day my brother results come back positive. I call the urgy center. They set me up an appointment. I go in Thursday night. They basically told me with the symptoms and the known contact it’s safe to assume you are positive

Friday brothers girlfriend has a fever nothing else. They told her they will test her but she is a lower priority because she is young and no underlying medical conditions. She finally gets in Saturday for a test 

fast forward Monday. My wife wakes up with fever. My test results confirm what we already know that I have it. We call the urgy center. Wife has fever lives with confirmed positive. No other real symptoms. No health problems. She was told they’re not gonna test her to assume she has it and take the precautions she would with a test

the actual testing at this point is moot. It’s ALMOST a guarantee that if your health and have a fever at this point your infected. 

mamma mia...       once again, glad ur all ( i think?) pretty ok!!!

14 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Anthony I hope you and your family are feeling better soon . Take lots of Vitamin C , D and Zinc if its a sunny day go sit out in the sun that will help also. My thoughts and prayers are with you bud :)

• Upvote 2

On 3/21/2020 at 12:56 AM, joebracken33 said:

Don’t get me started on the muppet Boris would “leads” the people of my nearest and dearest neighbour. Stiff upper lip and the great British spirit (and not self isolation) are going to see them through this global health crisis.

Breaking news - citizens occupying the least important island of the archipelago off the North West coast of mainland Europe (that’s Great Britain to most of you) are now in lockdown.

How long before the US does the same ?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

54 minutes ago, joebracken33 said:

Breaking news - citizens occupying the least important island of the archipelago off the North West coast of mainland Europe (that’s Great Britain to most of you) are now in lockdown.

Few major cities are technically sh*t down already 

1 hour ago, joebracken33 said:

Our government gave the British public every chance to actually be responsible and considerate towards the risk that social interaction has towards the spread of COVID-19. Unfortunately, because most people are ******* selfish idiots we’ve now had to be officially shutdown. 
If people can’t think for themselves and act accordingly, this is what has to happen. 

Also, we aren’t an archipelago. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Our government gave the British public every chance to actually be responsible and considerate towards the risk that social interaction has towards the spread of COVID-19. Unfortunately, because most people are ******* selfish idiots we’ve now had to be officially shutdown. 
If people can’t think for themselves and act accordingly, this is what has to happen. 

Also, we aren’t an archipelago. 

archipelago
/ˌɑːkɪˈpɛləɡəʊ/

noun

1. an extensive group of islands. 

Yep. You're part of an archipelago. The Northwestern European Archipelago sounds catchy enough. ;)

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

BatMineShaft_LAKE_960.jpg

twas bats to civert cats for the first SARS...  but last i read there was uncertainty for this one....https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200317175442.htm

COVID-19 coronavirus epidemic has a natural origin

Date:
March 17, 2020
Source:
Scripps Research Institute
Summary:
An analysis of public genome sequence data from SARS-CoV-2 and related viruses found no evidence that the virus was made in a laboratory or otherwise engineered.
Share:

8 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

Yep. You're part of an archipelago. The Northwestern European Archipelago sounds catchy enough. ;)

Or you could call it what it actually is, the British Isles. Pick up a book bro. 

Anyway, good luck with your Commander in Chief handling your COVID-19 situation. You’ll probably need it. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, British Jet said:

Or you could call it what it actually is, the British Isles. Pick up a book bro. 

I'm just going by my history and geography books, which tended to emphasize that this island is not an British isle. And it was kinda, well, beaten into us at school as well.  

These days I do find it funny to use both terms to wind up the more politically active on either side. :biggrin:

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, British Jet said:

Maybe pick up a different book bro. Not every book tells the same story.

More importantly - FINALLY your government are doing the right thing. Many of the experts were screaming for mass gatherings to end weeks ago. Allowing Cheltenham to go ahead still baffles me. Seeing the tube still operating today as normal is scary.

Enforced isolation is the best method of slowing it down. Regrettably people have been apathetic towards the virus for too long and that is going to mean the next 3 or 4 weeks will be extremely tough. The potential for UK to be as bad as Italy is a real possibility.

Stay safe agus gach dea-ghui ar mhuintir na Breataine.

6 hours ago, Losmeister said:

source?

that's my understanding of the situation. you did hear that tests kit supplies are low right? You need to be pretty sick to get a test done.

Not sure why there is debate on this.

For s and g I went to the CDC site when you get asked  questions by a robot. I made my situation pretty bad.....fever, nausea, some shortness of breath, abdominal pain...……..the robot told me to stay at home and ride it out unless things take a turn for the worst. Then, go see a doctor.

You cant just be a little sick and get attention and they sure as hell aren't wasting a test on u

12 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Can you get me some free samples from work please?

On 3/22/2020 at 8:09 PM, T0mShane said:

I work with Broadway producers. I told you why they couldn’t just “shut down Broadway” last week. If they “shut down Broadway” last week, there would be no more “Broadway” ever. 

I thought they shut down the porn district years ago.

• Haha 1