OT: I just tested positive with COVID

4 minutes ago, CTM said:

Well cause I watched  de Blasio and Cuomo 9 days  ago refuse to shutdown Broadway and take other measures and now they have the epicenter of the virus on thier hands. This required localized action, not federal 

I work with Broadway producers. I told you why they couldn’t just “shut down Broadway” last week. If they “shut down Broadway” last week, there would be no more “Broadway” ever. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d imagine he’s letting the President be the President(?)

Fairly decent opportunity for him to #lead with #pressconferences. He's next up right? This is headed in the wrong direction so Ill bow out here. But political bickering is getting tedious.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Matt39 said:

Fairly decent opportunity for him to #lead with #pressconferences. He's next up right? 

I think he’d get rightly dragged in every publication and on every channel in the world if he held a press conference specifically to address a national crisis when he has zero authority to do anything about it. It’s simply not done. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I work with Broadway producers. I told you why they couldn’t just “shut down Broadway” last week. If they “shut down Broadway” last week, there would be no more “Broadway” ever. 

You told me? Can you bump?  I missed it.

I dont listen to Trump, cause hes boorish and sickening. Makes it easier.

Imo, looking at results keeping the city humming for as long as they did looks like a pretty big mistake right about now, not something thats easy to dismiss just because trump is buffoon and Cuomo is a better speaker 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTM said:

huh?

My numbers are going off whats available today understanding their limitations. SK has actually tested the most, which i said earlier. And.. they have a CFR of around 1.1 + seem to have contained virus and are now using more targeted containment. Both bits of information are very good news compared to what was circulated 2 weeks ago.

re: the bolded. Again, nobody is suggesting 0 transmission rate in warm weather, a reduced R naught has a massive, massive impact on every metric downstream. Florida and Texas are both having much more mangeable outbreaks as of right now. I agree testing is problematic, but lets assume mortality statistics are more accurate. NY has 113 deaths, Florida 13 and Texas  has 5. Assuming similiar  CFR, these numbers support seasonality right now but of course are subject to change.

They don't suggest seasonality at all, CTM.  New York has 113 deaths due to a very different reason.  One lawyer in a religious community spread the virus throughout his community in New Rochelle, NY.  A religious school in East Hanover NJ and a religious community in Teaneck NJ...all with ties to the New Rochelle group, then spread the virus further so that Bergen County NJ has become a hotbed of Coronavirus.  So an explosion of cases came from a tight-knit, clustered community and spread quickly throughout that community and beyond.  This had nothing to do with temperature.  In Lakewood NJ people have been fined and cited for having large gatherings and pop-up weddings in defiance of orders to maintain groups of 50 or less and adhere to social distancing: https://patch.com/new-jersey/lakewood-nj/occupied-lakewood-yeshiva-weddings-amid-coronavirus-spark-anger.  So the factors you attribute to warm weather simply aren't in evidence.  It's wishful, or perhaps hopeful thinking, which I can't fault you for.  I would take care not to state such things as fact, however.  The numbers are buoyed by nothing.  Its a soduku puzzle with no hard numbers given.  Just suggestions and possibilities.  Florida is far behind NY, but they also haven't tested as much as NY.  No state has.  NJ is just now setting up mobile testing sites.  some states have barely tested at all.  And as the curve goes, some states are behind as their initial exposures were later, fewer and the community spread less prevalent.  Washington state didn't have a larger outbreak because of temperature, it was because of earlier exposure, earlier community spread and late response as our leader(s) claimed this was just a bit of flu contained and attributed to one person who was quarantined: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/timeline-trump-covid19-responses/  so there are myriad reasons for the spread in some areas rather than others.  So far, not a single scientist or medical professional has made a definitive correlation between average temperature and the spread of covid 19.  There simply is no evidence to support that claim.  The spread is greater in more densly populated areas.  That is a fact.  "It might go away in the summer" has literally no basis in evidence.  Still, I prefer your hope to being a Debbie Downer (as I admittedly am at this point).  My job puts me in harm's way more than most, and I worry about bringing it home.  My hope is that by simply avoiding one another in periodic spurts (every few months on and off until a vaccine is ready) we can limit exposures and spread.

• Upvote 3

Just now, T0mShane said:

I think he’d get rightly dragged in every publication and on every channel in the world if he held a press conference specifically to address a national crisis when he has zero authority to do anything about it. It’s simply not done. 

The guy who's going to be president in 8 months replacing the most incompetent person in history would get panned for offering some potential solutions? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

How reputable was that source when they parroted communist china misinformation?

WHO has been subject to Party influence since it’s senior leaders come from countries with a lot of Chinese investment. Beijing previously pressured it to avoid criticizing or to praise China during previous disease outbreaks.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Matt39 said:

The guy who's going to be president in 8 months replacing the most incompetent person in history would get panned for offering some potential solutions? 

Eh.... I wouldn't count your chickens... Betting against Trump in this election is a fools errand IMHO...  Not a Trump or Biden supporter... But Trumps following is strong and if by election time we as a country are over the hump of this virus, I could easily see Trump winning again

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think it’s, at best 40-60 he’s next up. At best. As to the optics, you don’t do that to the POTUS during a national crisis. You have to at least pretend to be somewhat unified.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, CTM said:

You told me? Can you bump?  I missed it.

I dont listen to Trump, cause hes boorish and sickening. Makes it easier. Imo, looking at results keeping the city humming for as long as they did looks like a pretty big mistake right about now jot something thats easy to dismiss just because trump is buffoon and Cuomo is a better speaker 

I don’t want to continue with this because your last line is going to give me a stroke and Max is going to ban us both, but I put it in the Covid thread in the lounge. xoxoxoxo love you 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

They don't suggest seasonality at all, CTM.  New York has 113 deaths due to a very different reason.  One lawyer in a religious community spread the virus throughout his community in New Rochelle, NY.  A religious school in East Hanover NJ and a religious community in Teaneck NJ...all with ties to the New Rochelle group, then spread the virus further so that Bergen County NJ has become a hotbed of Coronavirus.  So an explosion of cases came from a tight-knit, clustered community and spread quickly throughout that community and beyond.  This had nothing to do with temperature.  In Lakewood NJ people have been fined and cited for having large gatherings and pop-up weddings in defiance of orders to maintain groups of 50 or less and adhere to social distancing: https://patch.com/new-jersey/lakewood-nj/occupied-lakewood-yeshiva-weddings-amid-coronavirus-spark-anger.  So the factors you attribute to warm weather simply aren't in evidence.  It's wishful, or perhaps hopeful thinking, which I can't fault you for.  I would take care not to state such things as fact, however.  The numbers are buoyed by nothing.  Its a soduku puzzle with no hard numbers given.  Just suggestions and possibilities.  Florida is far behind NY, but they also haven't tested as much as NY.  No state has.  NJ is just now setting up mobile testing sites.  some states have barely tested at all.  And as the curve goes, some states are behind as their initial exposures were later, fewer and the community spread less prevalent.  Washington state didn't have a larger outbreak because of temperature, it was because of earlier exposure, earlier community spread and late response as our leader(s) claimed this was just a bit of flu contained and attributed to one person who was quarantined: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/timeline-trump-covid19-responses/  so there are myriad reasons for the spread in some areas rather than others.  So far, not a single scientist or medical professional has made a definitive correlation between average temperature and the spread of covid 19.  There simply is no evidence to support that claim.  The spread is greater in more densly populated areas.  That is a fact.  "It might go away in the summer" has literally no basis in evidence.  Still, I prefer your hope to being a Debbie Downer (as I admittedly am at this point).  My job puts me in harm's way more than most, and I worry about bringing it home.  My hope is that by simply avoiding one another in periodic spurts (every few months on and off until a vaccine is ready) we can limit exposures and spread.

I'm aware of what has happened in the Chasidic community, one of my closest friends owns a small business working with Jewish community centers and has had significant interactions including members of her team being at a conference with folks from New Rochelle. I also grew up on the border of Lakewood, most of my family still live there so i get the local news daily.

I disagree about what the data says re:temperature. But to clarify, at no point did I state my opinion as fact . I work with data for a living and it's not a fact until you have enough data to say it's fact. All we have is leading information at this point mixed with some understanding how humdity/heat impacts a virus's ability to transmit. I think probably they know which mechanisms will be impacted and whichs ones are maybes  (for instance, heat and humidity will cause airborne droplets to be weighed down and fall to ground faster but it's unknown if UV will degrade virus when on surfaces) ALso unknown is what % drop in R naught will be experienced. Fallign from 2.4 to 2.2 is still a major problem, falling from 2.4 to 1.2 is manageable.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t want to continue with this because your last line is going to give me a stroke and Max is going to ban us both, but I put it in the Covid thread in the lounge. xoxoxoxo love you 

word. 

51 minutes ago, Ian Fleming said:

WHO has been subject to Party influence since it’s senior leaders come from countries with a lot of Chinese investment. Beijing previously pressured it to avoid criticizing or to praise China during previous disease outbreaks.

WHO is in their pocket.

When they say states are in control and a place like Idaho with not many positives doesn’t have to adopt extreme measures like states with many confirmed cases. Of course how many tests. And if they conduct business as usual it’s easy to spread. In a few days a lot. Someone flies or drives into Boise with the virus and goes to restaurants, socializes etc, 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

When they say states are in control and a place like Idaho with not many positives doesn’t have to adopt extreme measures like states with many confirmed cases. Of course how many tests. And if they conduct business as usual it’s easy to spread. In a few days a lot. Someone flies or drives into Boise with the virus and goes to restaurants, socializes etc, 

Im sure similar protocols exist at every state level. I know in Maine there are limits on how many people should gather. It is up to the individuals to do the right thing. There are only 1.35 million people in this state, so theres quite a bit of space here per person, but people still are keeping distance. The bigger cities in the south of the state are finding the majority of our cases.

40 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Eh.... I wouldn't count your chickens... Betting against Trump in this election is a fools errand IMHO...  Not a Trump or Biden supporter... But Trumps following is strong and if by election time we as a country are over the hump of this virus, I could easily see Trump winning again

That Biden has not been seen in a week, the excuse being the ceilings in his house re too low for TV lighting, is bizarre. 

Find the UK's original but now abandoned approach of herd immunity developing to have been fascinating. We know that on the cruise ships, in an enclosed environment, roughly 20% of people developed the disease. But lots of those people-85-95%- had what amounts to a mild case of the flu. That small number of serious illnesses would still overwhelm our health care system-unless we develop herd immunity, which could still and may happen. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bugg said:

That Biden has not been seen in a week, the excuse being the ceilings in his house re too low for TV lighting, is bizarre. 

Find the UK's original but now abandoned approach of herd immunity developing to have been fascinating. We know that on the cruise ships, in an enclosed environment, roughly 20% of people developed the disease. But lots of those people-85-95%- had what amounts to a mild case of the flu. That small number of serious illnesses would still overwhelm our health care system-unless we develop herd immunity, which could still and may happen. 

nyc is seeing 20% of all known , tested positive, cases in hospital...

What bugs me the most at how some states and federal agencies are dealing with this very serious problem is the failure to shut down simply because their state or agency is not as severely impacted as of yet. So NY DC Calif Ill are all shutting down because they are experiencing very serious situations which is understandable but states like Texas are lagging behind because its not as serious "yet" .

If you want to stop the spread of this I would think you shut down before it gets serious and wait it out for 14 days or whatever the recommended time is maybe 3 0r even 4 weeks . Texas had only a few cases about 10 days ago mostly in the single digits in some areas so rather than shut down they wait, now it's in the hundreds so today they are shutting some things down too little too late . My plant the Bureau of Engraving & Printing is letting people telework but the people who actually print the money (me) get to keep producing money in close quarters using the same equipment, computers, and turnstiles every single day and are at much more risk than the people who are now teleworking were. Even though we are way ahead on the 2020 order they chose to keep us working since there have been no cases in the BEP as of yet, once again flawed logic. Once again money rules all even in the face of Illness or death. Still waiting to see a state not fully affected by this to step up and shut sh*t down and be a bit proactive

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

What bugs me the most at how some states and federal agencies are dealing with this very serious problem is the failure to shut down simply because their state or agency is not as severely impacted as of yet. So NY DC Calif Ill are all shutting down because they are experiencing very serious situations which is understandable but states like Texas are lagging behind because its not as serious "yet" .

If you want to stop the spread of this I would think you shut down before it gets serious and wait it out for 14 days or whatever the recommended time is maybe 3 0r even 4 weeks . Texas had only a few cases about 10 days ago mostly in the single digits in some areas so rather than shut down they wait, now it's in the hundreds so today they are shutting some things down too little too late . My plant the Bureau of Engraving & Printing is letting people telework but the people who actually print the money (me) get to keep producing money in close quarters using the same equipment, computers, and turnstiles every single day and are at much more risk than the people who are now teleworking were. Even though we are way ahead on the 2020 order they chose to keep us working since there have been no cases in the BEP as of yet, once again flawed logic. Once again money rules all even in the face of Illness or death. Still waiting to see a state not fully affected by this to step up and shut sh*t down and be a bit proactive

kentucky is a good example.