Brian Billick on Joe Douglas

Joejet

I'm patient.. I'm not going to rake him over the coals for anything yet. Let's see what he's learned from hanging around competent people.

The only problem i have with this notion of JD being an Ozzie acolyte - is that Ozzie always had a robust roster. He rarely ever had to deal with the volume of issues we have... so there's to be some kind of effort field a reasonable team that isn't just rookies and JAGs.

We'll see. 

• Upvote 2

This article is inherently flawed.  His basic premise that Douglas has options is wrong. Particularly on the two positions he mentions. 

The WR position was clearly downgraded, which currently the worst WR core in the league.  How does that give him more options?

As for OL - going into the season with Fant and Edoga as your starters would be utter negligence  He has to take a T early  

there were opportunities to actually upgrade those positions and Douglas chose not to pay what it would take to get it done  

agsin, I’m NOT saying what JD is doing is wrong just that Billick doesn’t know what he’s talking about and this article is literally the opposite of the reality.  JD’s hands are completely tied  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

The players that Douglas took in FA does not leave Douglas with latitude. It only leaves him latitude in round 1. OT is still a dire need. Also, Douglas still needs to add a player that's a truly great talent that the OL can be built around. You very rarely get that player in round 3 or later. So the need for a Tackle is still huge in round 1 or 2.

• Upvote 2

Anyway - No one knows how Joe Douglas is going to work out.  He's started with an incredibly weak roster, a big question mark at QB, and an unenviable decision about how to handle a strong safety.  At least though, the Jets found a guy who's well regarded in league circles, was a rising star, and was their first choice.  Thus far, he's had only one real misstep, and that was an effort to fix a hole at center with a hope and a prayer that didn't work out, but that caused no lasting damage.  He's avoided signing any bad contracts this free agent period and made no commitments to a player you wouldn't want here for more than a couple seasons.  He's going to have to stack together a couple of good drafts to get out of this mess, and more if Darnold can't improve, but the guy clearly has the potential to do this, and appears to be going about it the right way.  That's about as good as you can hope for at this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This article is inherently flawed.  His basic premise that Douglas has options is wrong. Particularly on the two positions he mentions. 

The WR position was clearly downgraded (how does that give him more options?)

As for OL - going into the season with Fant and Edoga as your starters would be utter negligence  He has to take a T early  

there were opportunities to actually upgrade those positions and Douglas chose not to get it done  

agsin, I’m NOT saying what JD is doing is wrong just that Billick doesn’t know what he’s talking about and this article is literally the opposite of the reality.  JD’s hands are completely tied 

I disagree, I think WR and OT are both equally possible at #11 at this point. 

1) #11 OT + #48 WR in a deep draft

2) #11 WR + Jason Peters/Kelvin Beachum/Trent Williams 

Sure we are kinda locked into OT and WR so maybe that is what you are referring to but I think the article is moreso saying they won't reach for a LT because it's a bigger need. Douglas will take whoever he believes is the best player.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I disagree, I think WR and OT are both equally possible at #11 at this point. 

1) #11 OT + #48 WR in a deep draft

2) #11 WR + Jason Peters/Kelvin Beachum/Trent Williams 

Sure we are kinda locked into OT and WR so maybe that is what you are referring to but I think the article is moreso saying they won't reach for a LT because it's a bigger need. Douglas will take whoever he believes is the best player.

Yea, if he was referring to options at WR or T then yes. But that wasn’t the vibe I was getting  

he referenced best player available. Not best WR or T.  

He might have to reach for the best T or WR - I can’t envision a scenario where go doesn’t take one of those two. 

11 hours ago, Joejet said:

"Like you see from Ozzie Newsome, he always tries to address things in free agency," said Billick of Douglas' approach. "It didn't have to be a huge splash but address the needs so that it left you to take the best player available in the draft. 'Need' is a terrible evaluator, and so is to go into the draft with such an overpowering need that it warps your analysis of a player. So, you can see what they're doing with some of the offseason acquisitions, filling in these needs that should leave them some latitude."

Dem dere be fighting words in deeze here parts.....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The WR position was clearly downgraded, which currently the worst WR core in the league.  How does that give him more options?

there were opportunities to actually upgrade those positions and Douglas chose not to pay what it would take to get it done  

The article was fine.

As someone who feels the Jets messed up FA, you realize that you have a biased perspective on this, right?

This FA period didn’t have a Mike Maccagnan oops I didn’t go high enough to get my guy so uh oh I’ll have to overpay this other guy feel to it at all. Seemed pretty calculated and intentional the whole time. Not saying that was right, we’ll see, but it seems pretty evident they view that as a good building block where you feel what they did was inadequate.

So we’ve already established that what you feel is the necessary course of action is not what Douglas will do. Why do you expect the draft will be any different? Your perception that his hands are tied stems from your perspective that FA left gaping holes. Kind of doubt the FO agrees. Very possible you’re disappointed after the draft too.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jetsons said:

I TRULY WISH Joe Douglas ALL THE VERY BEST as GM of the Jets... but I will withhold my fawning until I see RESULTS.

Agree GM is a hard job

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The key takeaway for me is that Douglas isn’t going to draft for need. So when 11 comes around and a WR has the highest grade, well WR it is. Let’s just hope he doesn’t mess around and draft a defensive player.

What if highest rated player is DL? He will take the best rated player at a position of need—which is the definition of drafting for need.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yea, if he was referring to options at WR or T then yes. But that wasn’t the vibe I was getting  

he referenced best player available. Not best WR or T.  

He might have to reach for the best T or WR - I can’t envision a scenario where go doesn’t take one of those two. 

Ah I see. Yea I read it in the context of taking the top WR rather than reaching on an OT that may not be your top choice. 

Just now, slats said:

Reach over what? A defensive tackle? Because otherwise, I can't envision a scenario where OT or WR isn't the BAP at #11. 

I don’t disagree - but that’s not really the point.  The only point I was trying to make was the article was simple BS.  It’s clear Biliick started with a premise that JD was going to be like Ozzie - then created a narrative to fit that.

JD has not, in fact, solidified the positions he reference and in one case it’s actually worse.  

I’m not questioning JD just the article.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree GM is a hard job

What if highest rated player is DL? He will take the best rated player at a position of need—which is the definition of drafting for need.

Correct... but the "need" is not DL... it's OL/WR... if none are there of value I can see a trade down.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I think the definition of drafting for need would be targeting a single position in the first round. Like the good portion of folks here who will lose their collective poop if he drafts anything other than an OT at #11. 

He worked free agency knowing that OT and WR were well represented in the draft. Nothing wrong with that approach, and it's one that's followed pretty much around the league. That's why guys like Jack Conklin and Robby Anderson didn't get paid close to the numbers rumored over the winter. 

I used the DL example above, too, but I really don't even see either of those guys really getting a better draft grade than the top WRs or OTs this year. 

13 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Anyway - No one knows how Joe Douglas is going to work out.  He's started with an incredibly weak roster, a big question mark at QB, and an unenviable decision about how to handle a strong safety.  At least though, the Jets found a guy who's well regarded in league circles, was a rising star, and was their first choice.  Thus far, he's had only one real misstep, and that was an effort to fix a hole at center with a hope and a prayer that didn't work out, but that caused no lasting damage.  He's avoided signing any bad contracts this free agent period and made no commitments to a player you wouldn't want here for more than a couple seasons.  He's going to have to stack together a couple of good drafts to get out of this mess, and more if Darnold can't improve, but the guy clearly has the potential to do this, and appears to be going about it the right way.  That's about as good as you can hope for at this point.

This is why he will trade Adams for picks. Has nothing to do with Adams as a player, but the overwhelming need for help on offense to properly evaluate the red headed kid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the definition of drafting for need would be targeting a single position in the first round. Like the good portion of folks here who will lose their collective poop if he drafts anything other than an OT at #11. 

He worked free agency knowing that OT and WR were well represented in the draft. Nothing wrong with that approach, and it's one that's followed pretty much around the league. That's why guys like Jack Conklin and Robby Anderson didn't get paid close to the numbers rumored over the winter. 

I used the DL example above, too, but I really don't even see either of those guys really getting a better draft grade than the top WRs or OTs this year. 

That’s how I view drafting for need as well. It’s the OT or bust mentality. Or over drafting a player. Thinking back to the Jags drafting that DT (can’t remember his name) or the Jets drafting a Nugent.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

Agree GM is a hard job

On second thought, I think a better way to say what I’m expecting is I don’t expect Douglas to overdraft a player.

We also learned from that Manish article that scheme factors into his evaluations. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm patient.. I'm not going to rake him over the coals for anything yet. Let's see what he's learned from hanging around competent people.

The only problem i have with this notion of JD being an Ozzie acolyte - is that Ozzie always had a robust roster. He rarely ever had to deal with the volume of issues we have... so there's to be some kind of effort field a reasonable team that isn't just rookies and JAGs.

We'll see. 

We’ll know more about JD in a couple weeks.   I’m totally fine with how he has handled free agency thus far.   Now we have 7 rounds of the draft, UDFA’s and then the inevitable roster cuts from other teams to come.  He’s set up some roster flexibility for next year as well.  

If JD is our answer to the GM role then I’m sure he recognizes the fact that there needs to be an infusion of talent on this roster.   You and I speak EVERY year about guys who will move the needle for this franchise, and every year we’ve been disappointed.   It’s a major issue that there is so little talent on the offensive side of the ball.  When your best player and your “marquee” player is a strong safety, there is an issue IMO.  

• Upvote 3