Draft Rumors

SR24

21 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

SO because Kurt Warner has a theory there are no other variables to consider?  lol 

F Kurt Warner right where he eats his eggs. :)  ???

In truth he's most likely right. Especially when playing the Pats and Bellichik's D. But it's more specifically the imagined pressure coming that's not there from disguises and such.  But let me stay this. Sam's time to actually be able to read a defense, especially one such as the Pats is extremely limited by the knowledge that at any second he could get smashed. He has no confidence in bis protection. How the hell is he supposed to take the time necessary to direct the D? Really? 

I looked at that statement as a positive from Sam's perspective. He's not on the sideline complaining about the obvious lack of protection from his JV OL. He's taking it on himself. Not in front of a podium but to himself. He's accepting responsibility as a default. That's a major deal man. The Kid is built the way I would want my QB to be mentally. 

?

It was about pressure. Clearly. Everything else being stated on message boards is just those “I’ve forgotten more football than you’ve played” guys doing what they do.

Just now, Obrien2Toon said:

It’s a 3rd and the difference in cap room between what Leo is going to get and what a 3rd rounder gets 

ill take a 3rd rounder and cap space over Leo any day 

That's fine, I understand the merits of the trade for the Jets, however, I'd like to see what we do with the 3rd pick, and how QW (who wasn't exactlt cheap last year) replace him. I also understand why the Giants made the trade. LW got a lot of grief here, but he's a very solid starter who never misses a game.

My point was defending Gettleman from those calling him a fool, and already anointing JD as a better GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Jets targeting offensive tackle in round one

(via Tony Pauline, 9:40 pm ET Wednesday)

From what I’m hearing, signs point to the New York Jets prioritizing offensive tackle with the 11th overall selection and adding another piece to the offensive line, specifically someone who can play right tackle.

As I was told yesterday, the Jets want an offensive tackle in the first round “if the right offensive tackle is available.” Jedrick Wills Jr. continues to pop up as the right offensive tackle for the franchise.

During the offseason, the Jets signed five blockers in free agency and actually wanted to add one more. As I initially reported from the Scouting Combine, former Philadelphia Eagles swing tackle Halapoulivaati Vaitai was on the wish list for general manager Joe Douglas.

And while the Jets made a strong bid for Vaitai’s services, in the end they would not match the five-year, $45 million contract that was handed to him by the Detroit Lions and included $20 million guaranteed. I was informed the Jets wanted to keep the Vaitai contract in line with the one they gave George Fant.

If the right offensive tackle is not available to the Jets at number 11, the belief is that the team will move their sights to wide receiver Jerry Jeudy, a player I’ve said they really like for weeks.

Or was just stay and t

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, Dandie Andie Doodle said:

It was about pressure. Clearly. Everything else being stated on message boards is just those “I’ve forgotten more football than you’ve played” guys doing what they do.

I've forgotten more football than I've played.  Does that count ?  lol 

As an aside, I'm teaching my 12 yr old how to be a WR/CB/QB. He's talented and is up at night watching technique vids. I'm now learning $hit I never knew lol  But have no fear, I'll forget it all by Morning. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

SO because Kurt Warner has a theory there are no other variables to consider?  lol 

F Kurt Warner right where he eats his eggs. :)  ???

In truth he's most likely right. Especially when playing the Pats and Bellichik's D. But it's more specifically the imagined pressure coming that's not there from disguises and such.  But let me stay this. Sam's time to actually be able to read a defense, especially one such as the Pats is extremely limited by the knowledge that at any second he could get smashed. He has no confidence in bis protection. How the hell is he supposed to take the time necessary to direct the D? Really? 

I looked at that statement as a positive from Sam's perspective. He's not on the sideline complaining about the obvious lack of protection from his JV OL. He's taking it on himself. Not in front of a podium but to himself. He's accepting responsibility as a default. That's a major deal man. The Kid is built the way I would want my QB to be mentally. 

?

Sam does seem like the type of kid who wouldn't say sh*t, even if he had a mouthful, which at this stage of his career is a positive, I guess.

As far as Warner, I might not have explained what he said as well as I could have. He said QBs use the term "seeing ghosts" quite often. They're referring to not seeing a defender, or reading a coverage incorrectly. They're throwing to something that's there, but they're not seeing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

WAY WAY WAY too many mocks giving us Becton. He is this years nightmare pick. This dude is going to be a massive bust. Jets need pass blocking o-lineman. He is not one.

This! 

If we draft him I would be super disappointed. Rather trade down.

41 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Am I wrong for wanting to take him if he’s there?

It would be hard for the fan base to get behind, doesn’t mean you’re wrong. But really we need to surround our QB with legit nfl talent. The time has come to do so. It’s past time. Much rather the jets trade back than take Simmons if that’s the scenario. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Like the man told you, you realize we used the 3rd pick in the draft last year on Quinnen Williams, right? He couldn't carry Leo's jock last year, so let's not get all smug about the Giants giving us a 3rd round pick.

At least until that guy we pick in the 3rd round becomes the solid starter Leo was/is. It wasn't his fault Macc picked him where he did, but he's been a solid pro.

I don;'t know about holding Leo's jock or not, but I get the point.  But in truth Q had more sacks than Leo who had a bad year overall for him. I thought he would show up in a bigger way in a contract year. But depending on if it's DE or DT franchise tag he's doing fine this year so whatevs I guess. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Sam does seem like the type of kid who wouldn't say sh*t, even if he had a mouthful, which at this stage of his career is a positive, I guess.

As far as Warner, I might not have explained what he said as well as I could have. He said QBs use the term "seeing ghosts" quite often. They're referring to not seeing a defender, or reading a coverage incorrectly. They're throwing to something that's there, but they're not seeing.

I would trust my explanation. Have you seen my beard man? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

WAY WAY WAY too many mocks giving us Becton. He is this years nightmare pick. This dude is going to be a massive bust. Jets need pass blocking o-lineman. He is not one.

PFF just released their latest mock that has us taking Wills, if that makes you feel better! 

jetsb_logo.gif New York Jets: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama  Alabama_logo.gif  
The Jets need someone to help Sam Darnold, so both a No. 1 receiver (Jerry Jeudy) and a talented left tackle (Jedrick Wills) make sense. I think the front office will value protecting Darnold, and a recent Charlie Campbell report in the NFL Hot Press backed up that belief.  

Jedrick Wills is a quick and athletic tackle who has the strength to open up huge running lanes. Several teams absolutely love him, so he'll likely be chosen earlier than most expect. 

walter football’s most recent mock also has us grabbing Wills 

5 minutes ago, RobR said:

These hacks can't get it right when the player is on the clock. They're guessing just as much as any normal fan.

Bingo. This needs to be repeated again and again and is exactly why I make a habit of commenting on very few draft rumors. 

If these guys can’t accurately predict what teams will do once they are on the clock, they certainly don’t have the slightest clue the night before. 

Also, there is enough smoke out there to cause a nuclear winter right now. Agents and media jag offs all doing their thing. Just gotta wait it out. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, GREENBEAN said:

I would trust my explanation. Have you seen my beard man? 

Funny you asked that question buddy.

The other day when I saw your new avatar, the first two things that came to mind were how handsome you are without the glasses, ? and the second was seeing you without the beard. Obviously you love it, but at first it looked like a goatee in the photo. I think that would be a great look for you...

*asks self why am I posting this? I'm gonna get lambasted for it, LOL*

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I just want to take a moment on this very busy and exciting draft eve to personally thank Mr. Dave Gettleman for:

1) Passing on our franchise QB to take a running back (i.e. the most replaceable position in football) with the #2 overall pick. 

2) Giving us 2 draft picks (in a draft absolutely loaded in positions we need) for the Jagiest JAG of all time. 

You sir are already a top 3 GM in NYJ history, and for that, I salute you. The fact that you also boast a comically obnoxious Boston accent makes it all that much more special for all of us.

That extra 3rd will be a blessing in such a deep draft. Potential to be some really good players at 68.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Uh oh.... Albert Breer says jets have CJ Henderson ranked higher than any of the WR’s. If the tackles are gone jets would take CJ before any wideout at 11

To me, this sounds like a smokescreen in order to get a WR to fall/dissuade anyone from jumping them for one of the top WRs, but CB wouldn't shock me at all.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetlife33 said:

Uh oh.... Albert Breer says jets have CJ Henderson ranked higher than any of the WR’s. If the tackles are gone jets would take CJ before any wideout at 11

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow.  That's what I love about the draft.

But if I was a GM that wanted an OT or a given WR to be there at 11, I'd be putting it out there that I like the CB a ton, so the teams that really do like the CB jump ahead of me and take him, pushing someone else down.

• Upvote 3