Draft Rumors

SR24

Just now, HawkeyeJet said:

But if I was a GM that wanted an OT or a given WR to be there at 11, I'd be putting it out there that I like the CB a ton, so the teams that really do like the CB jump ahead of me and take him, pushing someone else down.

What a coincidence! Me too! You know what they say about great minds . . . 

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

Uh oh.... Albert Breer says jets have CJ Henderson ranked higher than any of the WR’s. If the tackles are gone jets would take CJ before any wideout at 11

I said we'd take him a month ago. it's the only prediction I've made with this draft.

Then again, last year in the draft thread, I predicted we'd take Polite. So hopefully the Jets don't go by me...

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JetFan20 said:

Am I wrong for wanting to take him if he’s there?

You’re entitled, just don’t complain when Sam has no time to throw and no open receivers all season just so we could get someone at a position that is a strength of the team. If we don’t build around Sam we won’t win.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Tony Pauline saying the Jets will turn their attention to Jeudy if the OTs are gone sounds like them baiting a team to trade up for him so they can ensure a tackle or Lamb (their real preferred choice at WR) is there at 11.

Or that could just be wishful thinking on my part lol

• Upvote 3

See new Tweets

Tweet

it1juLUP_x96.jpg&key=476b53a103be952e78a7d8860be592d3b1f03673c9d3f8e98d540ee3819954c9   Burgundy Blog   @BurgundyBlog · 1h   The following is a fringy, unconfirmed rumor, so take it FWIW. I'm told by a new source with a convincing connection to the #Browns that a trade for Trent Williams is "done," with #Redskins expected to receive a 3rd or 4th in 2020 and a 2nd in 2021.
Imo that is a steep price. The guy is on the wrong end of his career after sitting out for a year. I believe he has talent left in the tank but how much?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:
See new Tweets

Tweet

it1juLUP_x96.jpg

The following is a fringy, unconfirmed rumor, so take it FWIW. I'm told by a new source with a convincing connection to the #Browns that a trade for Trent Williams is "done," with #Redskins expected to receive a 3rd or 4th in 2020 and a 2nd in 2021.

Does this set up a team trading with Cleveland to jump in front of us if one out of the top 4 tackles are still on the board?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kdels62 said:

Inability to turn? You can choose not to like Quinnen but it’s entirely because you’re choosing to do that. Comparing him to Leo is lazy. Physically Q is superior, in college Q was good at getting pressure and in the Pros the 22 year old has been decent with moments. JD rectified Leo’s mistake and we have a guy with good potential. 

You can disagree, but to call the comparison of Q to Leo "lazy" is, well, lazy.

"[Quinnen] Williams, only 21, is under a lot of pressure, but he absolutely must become a dynamic player. After all, he was drafted No. 3 overall. The Jets can't afford Leonard Williams 2.0 -- that is, a sturdy, run-stopping lineman with enough skill to pressure the quarterback but not special enough to put him on the ground."

-ESPN

"[Daniel] Jeremiah acknowledged that he, too, would take [Quinnen] Williams over Oliver. But, in projecting the Jets' choice, he believes Oliver could 'kind of be more of the Robin type of a player to Batman there with Leonard Williams, just a different skill set to give you a little something different. So that's what his strength would be.'"

-ESPN

"Is Quinnen Williams just Leonard Williams 2.0?"

-NJ.com

"The Quinnen Williams selection literally brings us Leonard Williams 2015 2.0. 'Best available player' and 'best talent in the draft' remain identically meshed in time. The addition of an interior player on top of two already employed, again, does the same thing. "

-elitesportsny.com

"[Quinnen Williams] is still just 21 years old. He has remarkable quickness and athleticism for his size. Will he use it to become Leonard Williams 2.0, or the big-time player the Jets were certain they drafted back in April?"

-northjersey.com

"It's unclear exactly how the Jets will use the duo [Q and Leo]. Both play similar styles and are probably at their best playing in the 3-technique."

-northjersey.com

"The dearth of statistics has many fans worried that the Jets may have whiffed on [Quinnen] Williams. Some see him as the second coming of Leonard Williams — who was also billed as a dominant defensive lineman but never made enough of an impact to live up to being a top 10 pick before the Jets traded him to the Giants last month."

-northjersey.com

"Given how anxious the Jets were to trade Pick 3, you have to wonder what they’ll say to Quinnen Williams. (You were our top guy all along!?) There are worse things than snagging the player whom many believe was the best in the draft, but it’s worth pointing out that the Jets already have a similar style of force in Leonard Williams and a paucity of edge rushers, which will be a problem when new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams goes to his various disguised Cover 2 concepts."

-Sports Illustrated

I could add a lot more but I got bored after ten minutes.

• Upvote 1

If the Jets want an Aussie to replace Edwards, there's a prospect in the draft, Arryn Siposs. Old for a rookie, he played professional football in the Australian Football League for a few seasons before switching to gridiron and playing for Auburn.

According to Australian media, the Jets have spoken to Siposs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-arryn-siposs-nfl-draft-three-teams-interested-in-former-st-kilda-player-punter-when-is-the-nfl-draft-on-in-australia/news-story/74aa580e6c034058ca3525d43b132aa4

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

This draft could well see five tackles taken in the first round. With Hall of Fame executive Gil Brandt listing Ezra Cleveland as a player who will go higher than expected, NFL.com’s Mike Garafolo adds that the Boise State tackle is a “mortal lock” to be chosen in Round 1 (Twitter link).

@jetsons Interesting

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Funny you asked that question buddy.

The other day when I saw your new avatar, the first two things that came to mind were how handsome you are without the glasses, ? and the second was seeing you without the beard. Obviously you love it, but at first it looked like a goatee in the photo. I think that would be a great look for you...

*asks self why am I posting this? I'm gonna get lambasted for it, LOL*

You love me.  hahahaha

Just changing the avatar was tough. Ive been using that one since the beginning here. But I thought I;'m gonna do my part to change the the energy around the Jets. It's small I know, but hey  maybe that was what was holding us back and we just needed the straw that broke the camels back so to speak. 

Thanks man. My wife loves the beard. It stays lol 

• Post of the Week 1

50 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

If the Jets want an Aussie to replace Edwards, there's a prospect in the draft, Arryn Siposs. Old for a rookie, he played professional football in the Australian Football League for a few seasons before switching to gridiron and playing for Auburn.

According to Australian media, the Jets have spoken to Siposs.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-arryn-siposs-nfl-draft-three-teams-interested-in-former-st-kilda-player-punter-when-is-the-nfl-draft-on-in-australia/news-story/74aa580e6c034058ca3525d43b132aa4

He played for the st kilda saints, a team that I hate with a passion over here in Australia. He was a beautiful long kick of the football. All the best to the young man, it would be nice to have another Aussie on the Jets roster. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow.  That's what I love about the draft.

But if I was a GM that wanted an OT or a given WR to be there at 11, I'd be putting it out there that I like the CB a ton, so the teams that really do like the CB jump ahead of me and take him, pushing someone else down.

Isn't it funny that everyone knows not to believe anything in March and April yet they all still try to misinform each other?   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Albert Breer said he thinks Douglas wants to go tackle, if tackles are gone he wouldn’t be surprised if jets go CJ Henderson over the wideouts. 

I have a hard time believing they'll go defense after spending all off-season talking about how they needed to protect Darnold and surround him with talent. Taking a CB over a potential #1 WR would be a colossal mistake. We may have well as kept Macc if that happens. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I have a hard time believing they'll go defense after spending all off-season talking about how they needed to protect Darnold and surround him with talent. Taking a CB over a potential #1 WR would be a colossal mistake. We may have well as kept Macc if that happens. 

I would be in stunned disbelief if the Jets go defense round 1. The first two picks must be OT and WR in any order.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

I would be in stunned disbelief if the Jets go defense round 1. The first two picks must be OT and WR in any order.

In my eyes Douglas would be done if he drafted a defensive player and talked about how the value was too great to pass on. Especially if they have their pick of the WR's

• Upvote 1

With the draft fast approaching I have a growing suspicion this morning that if there are any top OT's left at 11 it'll be Becton. He concerns me with the weight and recent drug test issue, but has tremendous upside. Meanwhile looking at multiple mock drafts for top wide receivers, there should be at least 2 if not all 3 of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs. With that scenario I'd be doing headstands if JD takes one of the stud WR's. My gut tells however that JD selects Becton. I wouldn't be disappointed, just a bit concerned.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I agree. But the more I think about, the more realistic it is for the Jets to take a CB.

CB's are usually much safer picks than WR's. And unfortunately for a rookie GM, that might be the way to go.

23 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

With the draft fast approaching I have a growing suspicion this morning that if there are any top OT's left at 11 it'll be Becton. He concerns me with the weight and recent drug test issue, but has tremendous upside. Meanwhile looking at multiple mock drafts for top wide receivers, there should be at least 2 if not all 3 of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs. With that scenario I'd be doing headstands if JD takes one of the stud WR's. My gut tells however that JD selects Becton. I wouldn't be disappointed, just a bit concerned.

I would be pissed off if we select Becton over any of the other Top 3, especially Thomas. I just have this strong feeling that Okudah, Simmons or both fall and we have nightmare flashbacks to Mac as we take one of them for "too much value"

4 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I agree. But the more I think about, the more realistic it is for the Jets to take a CB.

CB's are usually much safer picks than WR's. And unfortunately for a rookie GM, that might be the way to go.

He's a coward then who doesn't deserve to be a GM if that's how he looks at it.  The last I knew CB's don't help the QB 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, johnnysd said:

I would be pissed off if we select Becton over any of the other Top 3, especially Thomas. I just have this strong feeling that Okudah, Simmons or both fall and we have nightmare flashbacks to Mac as we take one of them for "too much value"

I always found this take interesting.  If there is too much value to pass up wouldn't another team value that player the same and want to trade up? These GM's act like they're stuck taking the guy when it's just not accurate.  If one of those guys fall then he should be looking to drop back bc it'll just be pushing value back. No excuses tonight.  It should be offense or trade out. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

You can disagree, but to call the comparison of Q to Leo "lazy" is, well, lazy.

"[Quinnen] Williams, only 21, is under a lot of pressure, but he absolutely must become a dynamic player. After all, he was drafted No. 3 overall. The Jets can't afford Leonard Williams 2.0 -- that is, a sturdy, run-stopping lineman with enough skill to pressure the quarterback but not special enough to put him on the ground."

-ESPN

"[Daniel] Jeremiah acknowledged that he, too, would take [Quinnen] Williams over Oliver. But, in projecting the Jets' choice, he believes Oliver could 'kind of be more of the Robin type of a player to Batman there with Leonard Williams, just a different skill set to give you a little something different. So that's what his strength would be.'"

-ESPN

"Is Quinnen Williams just Leonard Williams 2.0?"

-NJ.com

"The Quinnen Williams selection literally brings us Leonard Williams 2015 2.0. 'Best available player' and 'best talent in the draft' remain identically meshed in time. The addition of an interior player on top of two already employed, again, does the same thing. "

-elitesportsny.com

"[Quinnen Williams] is still just 21 years old. He has remarkable quickness and athleticism for his size. Will he use it to become Leonard Williams 2.0, or the big-time player the Jets were certain they drafted back in April?"

-northjersey.com

"It's unclear exactly how the Jets will use the duo [Q and Leo]. Both play similar styles and are probably at their best playing in the 3-technique."

-northjersey.com

"The dearth of statistics has many fans worried that the Jets may have whiffed on [Quinnen] Williams. Some see him as the second coming of Leonard Williams — who was also billed as a dominant defensive lineman but never made enough of an impact to live up to being a top 10 pick before the Jets traded him to the Giants last month."

-northjersey.com

"Given how anxious the Jets were to trade Pick 3, you have to wonder what they’ll say to Quinnen Williams. (You were our top guy all along!?) There are worse things than snagging the player whom many believe was the best in the draft, but it’s worth pointing out that the Jets already have a similar style of force in Leonard Williams and a paucity of edge rushers, which will be a problem when new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams goes to his various disguised Cover 2 concepts."

-Sports Illustrated

I could add a lot more but I got bored after ten minutes.

Did you even read what you posted? Most of those quotes are from mid season or after the season and use Q’s rookie season to fear monger about him being Leo 2.0. It’s not taking into account his projections and the physical difference between the two players. Daniel Jeremiah even says they are different players with different skill sets that can complement each other. 

I didn’t love the drafting of Q but comparisons to Leo, who lacked technique and athleticism are lazy. 

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

I always found this take interesting.  If there is too much value to pass up wouldn't another team value that player the same and want to trade up? These GM's act like they're stuck taking the guy when it's just not accurate.  If one of those guys fall then he should be looking to drop back bc it'll just be pushing value back. No excuses tonight.  It should be offense or trade out. 

Agree but Mac would never pull the trigger. He definitely should have last year. If only Becton is there with Okudah and Simmons and Jeudy Lamb are also gone I hope JD has the balls to trade down, get Josh Jones and additional picks

• Upvote 1