Draft Rumors

SR24

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

I have a hard time believing they'll go defense after spending all off-season talking about how they needed to protect Darnold and surround him with talent. Taking a CB over a potential #1 WR would be a colossal mistake. We may have well as kept Macc if that happens. 

Didn't we trade UP for Revis? We should hope CJ Henderson falls to us, someone might want to target him! QBs, LTs, CBs, Edge Rushers are the Elite high cost positions in the NFL. A defense needy team seeing Henderson closer to them could consider trading UP. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

mehhhhhhh

If you look at it vacuum, it would potentially make sense. If all 4 OTs are gone and they think Henderson is better, and they are using one their first 4 picks on a CB anyway, taking the CB in the 1st probably has more value because the WR class is so deep.

I don't want to happen not do I think they will, but i could see why they might if the board fell a certain way.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

Did you even read what you posted? Most of those quotes are from mid season or after the season and use Q’s rookie season to fear monger about him being Leo 2.0. It’s not taking into account his projections and the physical difference between the two players. Daniel Jeremiah even says they are different players with different skill sets that can complement each other. 

I didn’t love the drafting of Q but comparisons to Leo, who lacked technique and athleticism are lazy. 

What in Q's 2019 performance widened the gap between him and Leo as players?

And Jeremiah was referencing that Oliver and Leo have different skill sets, while Q and Leo do not. Read it again.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, choon328 said:

The only way I'm disappointed is if the Jets go with a defensive player at 11

I would be fine with a CB or pass rusher as those are positions of need but I believe the offense will be prioritized in this draft.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Didn't we trade UP for Revis? We should hope CJ Henderson falls to us, someone might want to target him! QBs, LTs, CBs, Edge Rushers are the Elite high cost positions in the NFL. A defense needy team seeing Henderson closer to them could consider trading UP. 

My worry isn't him falling to us,  it's thatDouglas will actually take him over a WR or tackle.

I always found this take interesting.  If there is too much value to pass up wouldn't another team value that player the same and want to trade up? These GM's act like they're stuck taking the guy when it's just not accurate.  If one of those guys fall then he should be looking to drop back bc it'll just be pushing value back. No excuses tonight.  It should be offense or trade out. 

Exactly - if there is so much value then trade down with another team. If another team isn't interested, the value really isn't there, is it?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Yes it does. Tampa Bay is a potential team that could trade up and grab one of the top 4 OT.

If CLE does trade for TW before the draft starts, I see it as leading to two potential outcomes.

The most likely is what you said, that they could trade down.  TB will certainly be in the mix, but I think the Jets could be an interesting swap-up as well and that's because of my second scenario.

They could then more easily trade OBJ and replace him with a top WR.  Trading down to 14 might make them miss on Jeudy and Lamb and possibly Ruggs or Jefferson as well.  If TB moves up and takes OT, you could see WRs go 11-12-13.

Alternatively, they could drop one slot, knowing the Jets are moving up to protect the OT pick they want, and then still get their choice of WR.  I think the Jets would be wise to consider this, and I would hope the 4th rounder would be enough to get it done, depending on what TB is willing to pony up instead.

So if your choice is Wills vs. Becton or Jeudy and a 4th rounder, which way would you go?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jolot said:

So we’re just going to do this today and pretend the season is actually going to start in September? Ok I guess count me in I could use a distraction. 

Even if the season is delayed or cancelled, there's no reason not to have the draft as scheduled.  None.  

I always found this take interesting.  If there is too much value to pass up wouldn't another team value that player the same and want to trade up? These GM's act like they're stuck taking the guy when it's just not accurate.  If one of those guys fall then he should be looking to drop back bc it'll just be pushing value back. No excuses tonight.  It should be offense or trade out. 

Exactly.  Only our previous GM operated like there were no options other than to stick and pick.  Let's hope Douglas, coming from the Ozzie Newsome tree, has the willingness to take 75 cents on the dollar in a trade down and can trust his ability to make the proper pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

If you look at it vacuum, it would potentially make sense. If all 4 OTs are gone and they think Henderson is better, and they are using one their first 4 picks on a CB anyway, taking the CB in the 1st probably has more value because the WR class is so deep.

I don't want to happen not do I think they will, but i could see why they might if the board fell a certain way.

I understand the logic of it, in a vacuum, like you say. CB is a premium position, and it is a need. 

But the offense has been so bad, and Darnold has had no help. If they're serious about finding out once and for all if Darnold is the guy, the defense needs to wait until (at least) the third round. Can't be waiting until the third to take the first WR or OT. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

I understand the logic of it, in a vacuum, like you say. CB is a premium position, and it is a need. 

But the offense has been so bad, and Darnold has had no help. If they're serious about finding out once and for all if Darnold is the guy, the defense needs to wait until (at least) the third round. Can't be waiting until the third to take the first WR or OT. 

Why hire douglas if you’re taking a cb anyway. He was specifically hired to fix the offense and the line in particular. 

58 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Given the unique circumstances surrounding this pre-draft process there has been little information available as to who is really looking at what player and what that interest is.  

If the Jets stay at 11 I believe that Becton or Ruggs will be the selection.   

I would be thrilled with Becton, Ruggs or Lamb.  Sign me up.

1 hour ago, FlightBoyz said:

No Shot JD is selecting anything other than OL or WR. Some of these journalists like to stir the pot n mess with Jets fans. 

4 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed.  I’m surprised many believe it 

I've got 1000 reasons why I need this to happen tonight.  

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Tampa makes the most sense.  They are obviously looking a 2 year max window to win something significant.   Williams provides them with a day 1 solution at LT, so they don’t have to go through growing pains with a rookie LT.  

It does make the most sense and it would also eliminate another team trying to move ahead of the Jets for an OL. OTOH, I don't see how Tampa makes the cap work if Williams is seeking a new deal. They don't have a lot of room under the cap. 

Just now, maury77 said:

It does make the most sense and it would also eliminate another team trying to move ahead of the Jets for an OL. OTOH, I don't see how Tampa makes the cap work if Williams is seeking a new deal. They don't have a lot of room under the cap. 

They can spread some money around especially in year one of the deal.   They can convert some salary to bonus and push some money down the road.  They’ll definitely be up against it, but it’s doable.  

I’ve never been a huge fan of bringing Williams I’m considering age, time missed, and how much it would cost.  If it’s a late round pick ok but  11, 48,68,79 are off limits.  We can’t afford to give away premium draft picks as we are building a team