Rate JD's First Draft

On 4/26/2020 at 10:11 AM, billo83 said:

Solid A. The only pick I really didn't like was Perine. Not the position, but the player. I just don't see the talent of a BP, Leon Washington, or Brad Smith that many are comparing him to. I hope I'm wrong. I also didn't initially like taking a QB in round 4, but after listening to JD's explanation I'm on bard with it. Last year proved that you need good back up QB play - so why not take a mid round prospect that you can develop and have for 4-5 years? I too was hoping we would take at least 2 WR's, but at the same time he did address all of the weaknesses and all three phases of the game. 

I am in complete agreement with what you wrote here.  I thought all the same things (especially Perine being the only pick I didn't really care for).

Admittedly I know squat (beyond what I've read/heard) about almost all of these players but it's still fun to form an opinion about them anyway - lol.

On 4/25/2020 at 7:16 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some risky picks but we knew going in that the draft is an inexact science.  If our 1st 2 picks (Becton/Mims) hit then it will be a successful draft, as they both filled urgent needs.  JD also made some other intriguing picks (Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, and Bryce Hall jump out at me) while also snagging the most electrifying punter in the sport.

OVERALL RATING: 4/5 coffee cups

image.png.9a58417b729ecb2c5af6133e411361ea.png

I agree with this as well. He found, what looks like, great value several times throughout the draft. I didn't have as much an issue with Morgan as I see him being a piece to flip someday, or at least that is how I think the Jets see him. Hall late could become the reason this class shines, he has the ball skills and instincts you crave for a cornerback. I love the Mims pick and feel he could become one of those second round stars at WR ala D. Adams and M. Thomas down the road with his set of skills and that chip he will hopefully carry around.

• Upvote 1

I think now that the dust has settled and you look at what he did with the UDFAs it's hard to give this draft anything less than an A, maybe A-. 

The first two picks you can't argue against. I mean, sure, you can say you prefer Wirfs or Jones over Becton. Maybe you were one of the people who wanted a WR. But in the end JD got one of the top 4 OTs (a LT) and a WR who was considered by many to be a Rd. 1 early Rd. 2 prospect and who almost everyone on this forum would have loved in Rd. 2. JD got him and netted an extra pick via trade down.

Then the first 'head scratcher'. Davis. Now that I've got a chance to look into him he is a stellar athlete, versatile speedster who will probably be the eventual replacement for Maye but will also be able to contribute right away in specific packages and on special teams. He was also apparently projected by many to go late in Rd. 1 but he had a groin injury and was not able to run at the combine, he couldn't show GMs what he could do at Pro Days b/c of COVID. His medicals went unchecked.  He dropped to the Jets, the Jets did not reach for him. I mean, in hindsight, considering the Jets just netted a draft pick and ended up taking Zuniga with the pick after, Davis may be one of the steals of this draft. 

Then Zuniga. Not really a 'head scratcher' but a guy that was not on a lot of peoples radars. I think most fans have looked at this guy and know that athletically he is a 1st-2nd rounder. If he can stay healthy he could be another immediate contributor. Considering how badly the Jets needed elite athleticism at the Pass Rush position (he's not a true edge so I'm just going to say pass rush position), this pick makes a ton of sense. 

Perine and Morgan. These are the two selections most Jet fans don't like. Perine can do a little bit of everything, He's a one-cut, grind it out RB who can catch the ball, run between the tackles, run a little bit off tackle. He's pretty much the perfect spell back and another immediate contributor. At this point in the draft the Jets could have gotten other very good prospects. But if they wanted this type of RB, they may not have been able to get a balanced back like Perine. 

The more I look a the Morgan pick the more I like it. There is very little down side unless he busts and at this point in the draft anyone can bust. But the size, arm, decision making, maturity, pocket presence, everything except his accuracy and competition level. He comes in with very little pressure, to develop into a backup. This is a draft pick that has high odds to either develop into a competent backup QB, which is worth a 4th rounder, or a starting caliber QB, which will lead the Jets to flip him for a 2nd maybe even a late 1st rounder in 2-3 years. And on top of it all, rumor had it the Pats REALLY liked him. So what does JD do? He trades DOWN with the Pats and uses the fact that he has extra draft capital to take a guy they may have wanted to take in Rd. 5. 

Clark. I had to look into this guy because he was not really on my radar. After I did, I absolutely love the pick. Extremely powerful, long armed RT who will probably move to OG at the NFL. Turns out he has a relationship with Becton. Turns out he was a captain on his team. If JD approves, I'm on board. 

Hall is considered by many to be the steal of the draft. My concern coming in was that he is primarily a zone CB and does not have the elite speed you want in an NFL CB. But that was when I was thinking the Jets may draft him in Rd. 2 or early in Rd. 3. If JD and GW have a plan on how to use him then I have no concerns. In Rd. 5 he was a steal. Once again, like Zuniga, he will need to stay healthy. 

Finally, possibly one of my favorite picks. The guy I was waiting the Jets to draft. The best punter in the class. I get that there were still WRs on the board the Jets could have gotten and maybe they should have just kept Edwards, he was pretty good. But Mann is better. If he pans out and theres no reason to think he won't, he is a much better punter than Edwards. Better leg, better hang, better directional punter. This one 6th round pick can have a HUGE impact on special teams and defense. If you think about the guys JD found as UDFAs (WRs, CBs, Edge), I doubt he would have been able to find the top punter prospect. 

So overall, having looked closer at the selections, I just can't give this draft anything less than an A. Perine was probably the worst pick of the bunch and thats purely based on the fact that he is such a high floor low ceiling prospect- which may have been exactly what JD wanted? 

• Upvote 1

On 4/25/2020 at 7:42 PM, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

I'll get back to you in three years to see if we still have any of these draftees .

That’s the thing. I really like the picks but odds are 60% hit rate is probably avg to above avg. 

So the likelihood that all 9 picks pan out is extremely rare. 

On 4/25/2020 at 7:33 PM, LAD_Brooklyn said:

C in Free Agency 

A- in the Draft

The Tackle for Charlotte was definitely over drafted. Doesn't mean he can't turn out to be a quality player and make us all forget, however it seem like it was a consensus on him being a 6th rounder. I personally loved that we pick a QB, but I honestly don't know much about the prospect outside of the football community loving him to make a full critique of the selection. Don't think many of us seriously scouted the QBs. But the other picks he definitely nailed. 

Isn't this the problem with ranking the draft before any games are played?   Leonard Williams was an A+ on draft night.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:05 AM, peebag said:

Becton and Mims have to succeed for this draft to be considered a success.

so far I think it's an "A" draft.

If Becton, Mims, Mann and any two out of Davis / Zuniga / Hall are full-time starters by 2021 then the Draft was a huge success.  If the others are decent role players it becomes even better.

• Upvote 1

With our jets draft history, how many of our first round picks before Jamal stuck? Look at our first round picks after brick / mangold to Jamal. The only one I believe in the league still is Sheldon. And then our history with second round picks? If Bekton and Mims pan out, it’s already an A for us

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Leonard Williams was an A+ on draft night.

That's not even remotely true, at least among fans at the time. I was posting on the hampur at the time and almost everyone universally hated the pick. The media pundits might have loved it but they're worthless when it comes to an opinion.

• Upvote 1

I'd give it an A- and I'm never that generous when it comes to Jets drafts.....I'm normally in the D range over the last decade and the product on the field reflects that. If we landed another receiver early like Duvernay I'd go A+.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, RobR said:

That's not even remotely true, at least among fans at the time. I was posting on the hampur at the time and almost everyone universally hated the pick. The media pundits might have loved it but they're worthless when it comes to an opinion.

We all hated it because we were stacked at DLine.  Not to many were panning it for the player.  Besides, if you don't like Williams you can pick one of a million other prospects. 

The idea of rating a draft before camp starts is only in exercise in determining if you played it to get the guys you wanted.  For instance, Douglas gets plus points for trading down and still getting Mims,  I think the guys he wanted were gone at the bottom of 3 (I was praying Peart or Duvernay would make it and Niang was also a reasonable target).  He was able to move down again which is good, but if he didn't and was stuck with the pick and took Perine - that would be the kind of thing that deserves to be panned.  Trying to decide which picks were actually plus value at this point is an exercise in futility

38 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We all hated it because we were stacked at DLine.  Not to many were panning it for the player.  Besides, if you don't like Williams you can pick one of a million other prospects. 

The idea of rating a draft before camp starts is only in exercise in determining if you played it to get the guys you wanted.  For instance, Douglas gets plus points for trading down and still getting Mims,  I think the guys he wanted were gone at the bottom of 3 (I was praying Peart or Duvernay would make it and Niang was also a reasonable target).  He was able to move down again which is good, but if he didn't and was stuck with the pick and took Perine - that would be the kind of thing that deserves to be panned.  Trying to decide which picks were actually plus value at this point is an exercise in futility

I get your point but that wasn't what I was aiming for. Just bringing up the point that many of the media hacks gave the pick a grade of A+ like you pointed out, when most of the fans hated the pick at that time. 

Without having seen a single down on professional football from these guys and basing an opinion from their college career which may or may not translate to the pro level, I would give the draft a B+, just because I would have liked another receive in the draft.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, Mavericknyc1980 said:

Can you explain why you love the Morgan pick

It's just a feeling I have. I watch some tape of him on another forum and listened to him on 2 interviews he had on NFL network.

He has size, strength and gunslinger moxie.  He grew up in Green Bay and idolized Bret Favre.

seems like every year the jets win the battle of the off season whether it be from the draft or free agency.  the talking heads all talked up the jets draft picks and mac's free agents signings.  shows how much those guys know.  i want douglas to be successful.  i'm also not knowledgeable enough to say which players are good.  what i did see was the holes in the team being addressed and the glaring holes in the oline were filled.  now all we need is for these guys to play as a team.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rangerous said:

seems like every year the jets win the battle of the off season whether it be from the draft or free agency.  the talking heads all talked up the jets draft picks and mac's free agents signings.  shows how much those guys know.  i want douglas to be successful.  i'm also not knowledgeable enough to say which players are good.  what i did see was the holes in the team being addressed and the glaring holes in the oline were filled.  now all we need is for these guys to play as a team.

What’s different is that Jets fans talk themselves into these picks.  This year their informa To back up these positive claims.