Rate JD's First Draft

16 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

B- 

The qb, RB, and safety picks were head scratchers. It's not about those players though, but the players we could have had in their place. There was a ton of talent at wr and ol that we passed on for guys that aren't going to move the needle much this season. Becton is solid, Wirfs was better imho.   Wirfs is a gym rat and hard worker, broke some powerlifting records in college. Becton is a biscuit away from 400lbs.  He said he wanted to play at 350 but showed up 15 pounds heavier than that at the combine. Mims was a steal. The rest of the draft was very meh. Too bad. This could have been an A+ draft without the "cute" picks. 

It is about those players - great GMs find stars in the mid rounds. 

Becton scares me in the same manner as Zion Williamson scares me.  Too much weight at that height SMH.

Wirfs is Damien Woody.  Becton may be a perennial all-pro or perennial IR and a future contestant on celebrity fit club.

The place to be in this draft was round two, if we could have traded down in round one and  ended up with Reagor, Claypool and Cleveland or Jones I doubt anyone would be complaining.,

B / B+

First two picks were huge. Style/ Massive sack points for the trade back in the 2nd and gaining 3 more picks. Addressed a ton of holes including RB /CB/ OL/WR /Edge so hard to complain bc Mac would have picked at least 2 DTs and 1 ILB before round 5.

Cant get over taking a backup QB in the 4th with so many OL/WR on the board which is where I thought the emphasis should have been all day today. Really telling to see JD attack the defensive secondary like he is. He really didnt like the unit he inherited.

The two IOL i wanted today Bredeson/Biadacz went to the Ravens and Cowboys who know how to build lines... So I know they're going to turn into perennial probowlers and I'm gonna hate it 

Glad to see he has a plan.

• Upvote 1

Somewhere in the B+ to A- area. Lots of talented players. Filled some needs. Couple big swings. He's not quite in an area where he can just hit line drives and hope he knocks a couple in the gaps or gets a hold of one like Baltimore. But man a lot of their picks were just so solid. Jets - some upside, some solid, some maybe not quite enough upside. But I think he's trying to piece together the roster in a bit of a different way so it's more excusable.

I'm sure there was a reason for it but geez, thought this draft was a good opportunity to add some WR depth for the long haul. Only grabbing one was disappointing in a big way. And I love Denzel Mims. But lots of pressure for him to produce week one and Mims, Crowder, and Berrios are the only WR's on the roster who I would expect to make the team and are signed next year (apologies to Keon Hatcher - hope you make the roster too). No spot to add a WR4 this year who can maybe step into Perriman's role next year? I guess they could theoretically extend Perriman, Doctson, or Smith mid season but - just thought a missed opportunity. Hell there are guys I would've been okay giving up future draft capital up to go get.

9 minutes ago, deucebag said:

Becton scares me in the same manner as Zion Williamson scares me.  Too much weight at that height SMH.

Wirfs is Damien Woody.  Becton may be a perennial all-pro or perennial IR and a future contestant on celebrity fit club.

The place to be in this draft was round two, if we could have traded down in round one and  ended up with Reagor, Claypool and Cleveland or Jones I doubt anyone would be complaining.,

Given this much thought and I will be happy with the picks because JD has proven he is not Macc or Idzik. Not everyone he drafted might be all pro, but I believe the team is better as a hole today than last week. I was a big proponent of trading down to stock up on more picks in 2nd and 3rd round, however he might not have liked any offers if even they were made. Maybe when he saw Mount Becton fall to 11, he decided not to trade. We'll never know. So all we can do is appreciate the players he did pick and hope his gut proves that those players will turn out to be productive players on this team. What have we got to lose...  We could always rehire Macc or Idzik think about that for a minute.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

+1 That's the only way to judge a draft some fans if they didn't take the player they liked think it was a failure..

Yup. Every year (for every team, btw) the optimist will love the draft while the pessimist will find brutal fault. 

I’m an optimist, btw - every f’ing year!

13 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Looks like it is pretty unanimous that JD had a great draft

Yup.  Of course there are the usual “he blew it by not draft 4 straight WR” crowd ? but overall a positive reception.  Scouts and analysts liked our draft a lot even some who usually bash us 

• Upvote 1

Becton is the only pick I really loved. Davis I didn't even know who he was but fell in love with his story. Zuniga I am hopeful Williams will get the most out of. Outside those three I am not in love with the draft class. I pray that mims lives up to the expectations some of you have for him but I fear he will not. Hall is talented beyond where we drafted him but he is coming off an injury and just about every drafting report says he is more of a zone guy than a man guy which concerns me because Williams likes to play blitz happy I do have faith that he will find creative ways to use everyone though. These are my personal thoughts on the draft I know some of you are very happy with it and that is good again I want to emphasize that I hope I am incorrect and that we end up with some really good players.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

A-

Love the draft, woulda liked another receiver...but, we strengthened the OL, the RB will surprise as he will be strong in short, and goal line situations, Mims looks like potential stud, hope he develops fast...the QB pick was ok, coulda signed a vet backup, but I’ll trust JD and his crew... we have good secondary depth, a DE if healthy, is productive and can be a nice edge...with Williams as coach he will love the safety/cornerback track star.... overall very happy...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think he tried to fix everything a bit at once rather than do a deep dive into really addressing wr which is still relatively weak. But it seems he added a lot of upgrades and that’s what the jets need. 

Agreed. Thought he added potential upgrades to all three phases of the game.???

• Upvote 1

(simply for JD being in charge of the draft, rather than just being a participant in it.)

I wanted OL round 1, WR round 2 - hit - hit

double dip of WR  - miss

double dip of OL - hit

pass catching RB - hit

CB/OLB help later on - hit - hit - hit

---

I wanted the extra WR instead of the backup QB ... everything else is great

---

mixing the P in there was a nice little bonus to get

---

Everything combined together

A

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Mekhi Becton - A

Denzel Mims - A+

Ashton Davis - B+

Jabari Zuniga - C+

LaMical Perine - F

James Morgan - D

Cameron Clark - B

Bryce Hall - A+

Braden Mann - A

Overall Grade - B

Soild draft but mixed. Loved JD’s approach early. It’s Potentially transformative if Becton and Mims hit. Disappointed we didn’t do more with the 4th round, especially at WR but still a strong draft. Certainly the best I’ve felt coming out of a draft for a long time.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  I liked the detail.  

Maybe I give Morgan a little higher if they think he can play better during the 4 games Sam is out. 

2 things:

We got a lot faster.

We got a lot meaner.

I'm not going to pretend to know half of these guys.  The way he traded back and still got the receiver I would've been happy to trade up into the first round for was AWESOME.

To follow that with a safety and the quarterback was a bummer, but I'll root my ass off for them. 

I wish we got Peoples-Jones somehow, but it seems like no one wanted him anyway. 

Becton was my third choice at tackle, but my first two were gone when we picked so I'm would've taken him too. 

• Upvote 1

OT Mekhi Becton - A

• Initially I wasn't thrilled with taking Becton.  I felt he was too risky.  But after a closer look, his floor is higher than I initially believed to go along with his seemingly unlimited upside.  

Denzel Mims - A+

• Masterful trade down and the perfect end result.  We have our long-term WR1.  Mims was the 13th WR taken but he'll end up a Top 5 WR out of this loaded draft class.  

Ashtyn Davis - B

• Not at all my ideal choice in this slot, but that doesn't make him a reach or a bad pick.  FS/CB hybrid is a premium position, and a need for this team.  Get ready for Marcus Maye to have his best season playing at his more natural position, SS.

Jabari Zuniga - A

• Athletic freak with the 14th highest RAS score in the entire draft class, across all positions, among players who received scores.  This is the exact kind of big swing to take in this spot.  His injury history is the only reason this kid wasn't a 1st round pick, albeit a very legitimate concern.  

LaMical Perine - A-

• Not an exciting pick or a big swing.  But it's an excellent pick all the same.  Perine is the next Bilal Powell.  He'll never be an RB1 in this league, but will be a solid RB2 for a long time.

James Morgan - C

• I don't dislike WHO we took but rather WHERE we took him.  I like the idea of taking a QB in the draft every single season.  But in this particular class I think we should have waited until Rd 5.  

Cameron Clark - B-

• Made a RB with very low athleticism, Benny LeMay, look very good at Charlotte.  Another versatile OL to add into the mix.  My only quibble is it seemed like this was a bit of a reach.

Bryce Hall - A+

• Slam dunk choice this late in the draft.  An early 2nd round prospect whose stock plummeted due to numerous injuries.  Consider 2020 a redshirt season for Hall (hell, it might be a redshirt year for everybody thanks to COVID), and for Hall to start becoming a serious factor on this team starting in 2021.

Braden Mann - A

• This pick accomplishes two things:  1) Its a significant upgrade at a "starter" spot, and 2) Saves the team money by not having to re-sign UFA Lac Edwards.  I highly doubt he would have been available as a UDFA, as he was a sure bet to get taken in the 7th round.  

Trade for Quincy Wilson - C

• Bit of a head scratcher given Wilson's completely unproductive career over the last 3 seasons.  The hope is that moving away from a zone coverage scheme will kickstart his career.  It's also nice that he's still only 23 years old.  

Overall Grade - A-

• Upvote 3

Solid A. The only pick I really didn't like was Perine. Not the position, but the player. I just don't see the talent of a BP, Leon Washington, or Brad Smith that many are comparing him to. I hope I'm wrong. I also didn't initially like taking a QB in round 4, but after listening to JD's explanation I'm on bard with it. Last year proved that you need good back up QB play - so why not take a mid round prospect that you can develop and have for 4-5 years? I too was hoping we would take at least 2 WR's, but at the same time he did address all of the weaknesses and all three phases of the game. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, deucebag said:

The same thing (on the opposite end) scares me about Mann.  Is JD really going to risk going into the season with an undersized punter?  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the post-draft ax for this just like Macc did last year.

image.png.b4989f43b90ca95993fec0d6300a5ed2.png

• WTF? 1

Overall I was very happy with it.

You never know how different guys will work out but in general we seemed to but a premium on elite athleticism and high character and attempted to address most needs. Loved the Becton, Mims, and Hall picks.

Least favorite picks were Perine and the QB who didn't seem like great value where they were taken, but neither is a baffling head scratcher either.

Also, the more I read/see/hear about this punter the more into that pick I am (even if I wanted KJ Hill.)

• Upvote 1