Mims Determined To Make Teams That Passed on Him Pay

"That's something that we've been talking about before we even started last year, keep adding guys that can bring speed to the field and put pressure on the other team," Gase said. "That's something that our scouts have been combing colleges all year long. That's what the last couple days are all about — finding guys that will fit the profile of what we're looking for."

JD and Gase want that speed 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  Those guys were slugs compared to this kid.  I don't think his game will resemble theirs.  The thing that scares me is he reminds of two guys I liked a lot that didn't exactly tear up the league: Robert Meachem and Chris Conley.

Key def didn't have the same mph's  ... the build and willingness/ability to fight for 50/50 balls is the part that jumped out at me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

So, Terrell Owens ran a 4.45 40 VS. Mim’s 4.38 - is 7 - 100th of sec. what you call “slug”? Vs. “this kid”

Even if you did, which would be absurd, my point wasn’t about their speed but the way they play.  Strong, soft hands, big catch radius, works the sideline really well.  Those are the things I like about Mims which Owens did really well...

First of all, seven hundreths is an eternity.  Second, I'm not sure where you arequoting Terrell Owens at 4.45.  He ran in the mid-4.6s at the combine.  You are probably quoting that hand-timed BS from his agent and Julio Jones when he was trying to get back in the league in his 40s.  I've got a bridge to sell you, interested? 

Appreciate the other observations, but Owens (and Keyshawn) seemed much bulkier possession receivers to me and I expect this kid to do way more with his speed.  I do see where you guys get it from with the size/catch radius and using his body to shield defenders from the ball.  Hopefully, he will do plenty of that.

Edited by #27TheDominator
As FidelioJet points out, it is hundreths, not tenths
  • Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

First of all, seven tenths is an eternity.  Second, I'm not sure where you arequoting Terrell Owens at 4.45.  He ran in the mid-4.6s at the combine.  You are probably quoting that hand-timed BS from his agent and Julio Jones when he was trying to get back in the league in his 40s.  I've got a bridge to sell you, interested? 

Appreciate the other observations, but Owens (and Keyshawn) seemed much bulkier possession receivers to me and I expect this kid to do way more with his speed.  I do see where you guys get it from with the size/catch radius and using his body to shield defenders from the ball.  Hopefully, he will do plenty of that.

7 hundredths. Is NOT an enternity it’s 7 100ths of one second.

Just Google - Terrell Owens 40 time.  It’s right there..

If he turns out to have a career anywhere near TO I would be exceptionally ecstatic.  And I think he can.  I’m just super high on him...

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

"Usually when you call these guys, they're excited, there's a lot of emotion," Douglas said. "Denzel had a real chip on his shoulder. It was important to him that he was going to make these teams pay that passed him up. We can't wait to get that type of competitor, that type of mentality in the building."

I like that attitude. Make em all pay bro.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Of course it has happened...there is video and everything:

Well I guess but that one was concerning the first pick and was super out in public. Elway did it too. But #1 QBs have leverage. I was more thinking of a mid round guy if it ever happens there.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

7 hundredths. Is NOT an enternity it’s 7 100ths of one second.

Just Google - Terrell Owens 40 time.  It’s right there..

If he turns out to have a career anywhere near TO I would be exceptionally ecstatic.  And I think he can.  I’m just super high on him...

I used google.  Terrell Owens was a slug compared to Mims.  Doesn't make Mims a better player, and like you, I would be exceptionally ecstatic if Mims had a HOF career.  

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I used google.  Terrell Owens was a slug compared to Mims.  Doesn't make Mims a better player, and like you, I would be exceptionally ecstatic if Mims had a HOF career.  

Owens was 4.63 at the combine but posted a video claiming he ran a 4.45 as a 44 year old. Totally unofficial.  Hmm 4.6 ar a 20 year old and 4.4 as a 44 yr  old.  Suuure.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

New Jets WR Denzel Mims Determined to Make Teams That Passed On Him Pay

IMG_6717-greenberg-head

Ethan Greenberg

TEAM REPORTER

mims-sidebar-AP_19322657221286

Ray Carlin/Associated Press

New Jets receiver Denzel Mims is trading his green and gold Baylor jersey for one that's green and white. Even though the NFL Draft is unpredictable, his gut told him he'd end up with the Jets.

"We had a few conversations and I always thought I would be a Jet in the back of my head one day," he said after the Jets traded down in Round 2 and selected the former Bear with the 59th overall selection. "When I got the phone call, I was very excited and very happy."

The 6-2, 207-pounder is a playmaker on the outside, whom GM Joe Douglas described as "long, smooth receiver with great body control, a big catch radius and soft hands." He was the only player in the NCAA with at least 8 receiving TDs in each of the last three seasons. The Daingerfield, TX, native led the Bears in receiving in 2017 and '19, eclipsing the 1,000-yard mark in each year. Mims finished his collegiate career earning first-team All-Big 12 honors.

"I developed a lot from my freshman year to my senior year," he said. "I matured as a man on and off the field. I was taught the game of football, the actual details of everything on the football field. The way they used me, they knew I needed the ball in my hand. I make a lot of plays when I have the ball in my hands and when it comes down to crunch time, they knew I want the ball to make the play to try to help my team get the win."

Jets coach Adam Gase and Douglas talked about adding explosive playmakers to the offense and Mims fits the bill. He tied for third among wideouts at the Combine with a 4.38 40-yard dash and ranked fourth with a 10'11" broad jump.

"That's something that we've been talking about before we even started last year, keep adding guys that can bring speed to the field and put pressure on the other team," Gase said. "That's something that our scouts have been combing colleges all year long. That's what the last couple days are all about — finding guys that will fit the profile of what we're looking for."

In addition to his speed, Mims told reporters after he was selected Friday night that he also takes pride in his blocking and his ability to haul in contested catches.

"I worked on it a lot," he said. "I know that at the next level there are a lot of great corners and you're not always going to have a lot of separation, so there are going to be a lot of 50-50 balls and I'll come through with them."

Mims said he's "everything that you want in a football player" and is excited about playing with 22-year-old Jets QB Sam Darnold.

"We have Sam Darnold and that's a great quarterback," he said. "I can't wait to get to work with him and make a lot of things happen with him. I had time to watch him and to actually be playing with him, on the same team as him and same offense, it's unbelievable."

Mims rose up draft boards with an impressive week at January's Senior Bowl and followed it with a strong Combine. In a rich receiver class, however, he was the 13th wideout selected, which has lit a fire under the newest Jet.

"Usually when you call these guys, they're excited, there's a lot of emotion," Douglas said. "Denzel had a real chip on his shoulder. It was important to him that he was going to make these teams pay that passed him up. We can't wait to get that type of competitor, that type of mentality in the building."

Where have I heard this before

sloth yawn GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Oh, man, never seen this kinda fire from a player before. Gonna make teams that didn't draft him pay?! Holy cow, can't believe we don't hear this from like hundreds of players every season. Guess they just don't want it as much! 

I remember a couple of years ago that qb said the same thing.  He was traded after a year. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Gonna be a lot of broke teams this year.

Yeah... these "I'll make them pay" quotes are on the stale side.  I let out a great big yawn at Mims and Jefferson with those comments.   In Mims' case, it would imply that he has a little getting even to do with the Jets, since the Jets let him rot at 48.  So it makes no sense.

54 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah... these "I'll make them pay" quotes are on the stale side.  I let out a great big yawn at Mims and Jefferson with those comments.   In Mims' case, it would imply that he has a little getting even to do with the Jets, since the Jets let him rot at 48.  So it makes no sense.

The only complaint Jefferson could make is with the Eagles taking Reagor 2 picks before him. Other than that, he was probably the 4th best receiver in this class and he was taken 5th.

Mims on the other hand was probably the 8th best receiver and he was taken 12th. He has a better case than Jefferson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/round/2

Look at the rankings and descriptions of each player. 

Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, Van Jefferson. All taken before Mims but all ranked considerably below him. He was the next best receiver, by ranking, behind Pittman and for what we need in a WR I would have taken Mims skill set over Pittman.

Ranked higher than Reagor taken at pick 21. 

104228.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop

6'3"207 lbsBaylor
8POS RK      46OVR RK     85GRADE

dm_200417_nfl_mims_draft_reel.jpgplay

0:39

Denzel Mims' NFL draft profile

Former Baylor WR Denzel Mims' highlights show a terrific athlete who is a dangerous deep threat.

Pre-Draft Analysis

Mims has a rare blend of size, top-end speed and length. He has the second gear to take the top off the coverage and does a nice job of stacking defenders on vertical routes. He runs hard and flashes the ability to break tackles after the catch. His frame and body control make him a threat in the red zone. -- Steve Muench

Watch: Mims thinks he has always been underrated

Post-Draft Analysis

Robby Anderson signed with Carolina and Quincy Enunwa is coming off his second major neck injury. Free-agent addition Breshad Perriman is coming off his best season and Jamison Crowder is a good slot receiver, but Perriman's ability to have continued success remains to be seen. Mims gives the Jets a receiver with the talent to improve a passing attack that finished 29th in the league in yardage. QB Sam Darnold should be pleased with what general manager Joe Douglas has done with his first two picks. -- Steve Muench

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 10:54 AM, flgreen said:

Meh, this is said by several players every year.  They think they are the best player at their position in the draft then wind up going in the 5th round, what else are they going to say?

yeah, but not every player says this.  I think it's great for a player to have a chip on their shoulder.  At least it's a start.

• 3 years later...