Mims Determined To Make Teams That Passed on Him Pay

30 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

"Usually when you call these guys, they're excited, there's a lot of emotion," Douglas said. "Denzel had a real chip on his shoulder. It was important to him that he was going to make these teams pay that passed him up. We can't wait to get that type of competitor, that type of mentality in the building."

This is a great point. After watching the call, you could tell Mims was PISSED he fell so far. An excellent quality for a guy to have honestly. 

He was but you could also see he was excited. I liked it.

You know I was reading about Joe Judge and how he was laying down the law about what to say and I wondered if this has ever happened.

GM to prospect: So are you ready to be part of our team?

Prospect: Nah man, I just wasnt like feeling it with your coach, he's like a dick, you know?

GM: What?

Prospect: Yeah like just pass on me rather play somewhere else

GM Well you are our guy, you will love it here

Prospect: well do what your gonna do but Id rather go somewhere else if you feel me

• Haha 1

On draft day I was comparing bios on available guys.  Mims’s stats and writeup was far and away better than anyone available.  I have a hard time believing “rounding out his routes” accounted for the difference. I really thought they should have traded up to get him.  I can't understand what the deal was.  He seems like a good, motivated kid  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

He was but you could also see he was excited. I liked it.

You know I was reading about Joe Judge and how he was laying down the law about what to say and I wondered if this has ever happened.

GM to prospect: So are you ready to be part of our team?

Prospect: Nah man, I just wasnt like feeling it with your coach, he's like a dick, you know?

GM: What?

Prospect: Yeah like just pass on me rather play somewhere else

GM Well you are our guy, you will love it here

Prospect: well do what your gonna do but Id rather go somewhere else if you feel me

Of course it has happened...there is video and everything:

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

He certainly still needs some NFL coaching, but I really think the Jets got a good one here. 

makes me think...do we still have Hines Ward to teach him how to knock a LBs block off hwne he aint got his head on a swivel like he ought to...??

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, Jolot said:

I like the pick , and think he’ll be very good ...but honestly everyone who drops says this ..some prove people wrong some don’t ..for every Thurman Thomas there’s a Josh Rosen ...I hope he does stick it a lot of people for our sake . 

Outer Space Thumbs Up GIF by NASA

2 hours ago, jbt said:

if he becomes a #1, who do you think he would be like, could become?

Start with Kevin White, make him more explosive and give him DeAndre Hopkins physical route running and ability to make plays in traffic on the outside, especially late in games. You have Denzel Mims.

14 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

makes me think...do we still have Hines Ward to teach him how to knock a LBs block off hwne he aint got his head on a swivel like he ought to...??

Ward was hired by the Jets last year as a full time coach, so I imagine he's still with the team.

D'Brick is gone though unless he comes back as an intern again this summer.  I'd like to see D'Brick work with Becton

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I wonder if he's pissed the Jets passed on him at 68 LOL 

Seriously though, you gotta love guys that care about this kind of stuff because it means they have a fire and desire to prove themselves, something you pretty much NEED to succeed at the next level.  

11 minutes ago, fullblast said:

This is great, but I hope his actual focus remains on cleaning up the parts of his game that caused him to drop. Always look inward first!

Great post.  Was just about to write something similar.  Getting mired in vengeance or a "I'll show them" mentality is counterproductive.  Worry about kicking ass with the Jets this season.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think he has a Terrell Owens type game.  

1 hour ago, ljr said:

Keyshawn 

Seriously?  Those guys were slugs compared to this kid.  I don't think his game will resemble theirs.  The thing that scares me is he reminds of two guys I liked a lot that didn't exactly tear up the league: Robert Meachem and Chris Conley.

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Seriously?  Those guys were slugs compared to this kid.  I don't think his game will resemble theirs.  The thing that scares me is he reminds of two guys I liked a lot that didn't exactly tear up the league: Robert Meachem and Chris Conley.

So, Terrell Owens ran a 4.45 40 VS. Mim’s 4.38 - is 7 - 100th of sec. what you call “slug”? Vs. “this kid”

Even if you did, which would be absurd, my point wasn’t about their speed but the way they play.  Strong, soft hands, big catch radius, works the sideline really well.  Those are the things I like about Mims which Owens did really well...

• Upvote 2