Rams & Chargers Los Angeles Stadium

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was looking forward to taking a trip out there this season to see the stadium. So unlikely now.

I'm 50/50.  Jets visit both the Rams and Chargers in that stadium.  We've got several months until those games so I'm not closing the door quite yet but the current situation obviously has to improve.

• Upvote 1

Spanos played that perfectly.  Got a sweet deal as co-tenant because the Rans needed somebody for the move.  Also has "Silent Stan" incur the higher percentage of the costs for the stadium.  Then drafted a potential QB with a huge built in SoCal fan base. There are a ton of UO grads who will come out to see Herbert even if they aren't lifelong Chargers fans.  For a franchise who were the laughing stock a couple of years ago... they seemed to be playing chess and not checkers.

As nice as it looks, this stadium is a fiscal nightmare.  How bad is it?  Budgeted at $2.2 billion back in 2016, the actual overall cost will be between 5 and 6 billion dollars.  It makes the economics of MetLife look like a great deal. 

Report: Rams seeking up to $500 million in additional stadium financing

Posted by Charean Williams on May 14, 2020, 4:01 PM EDT

GettyImages-1201305307-e1589486443758.jp
Getty Images

The Rams need more financing for SoFi Stadium, which has a price tag that keeps rising.

According to Daniel Kaplan of TheAthletic.com, the Rams’ request for up to $500 million in additional NFL stadium financing and additional time to pay it back is on the agenda for next week’s virtual owners meeting.

The request is on top of the $400 million the Rams already borrowed from the league’s stadium lending program. The team also wants to pay the loan back over 30 years rather than the typical 15 years.

The stadium has seen cost overruns and slower than expected personal seat license sales, per Kaplan, and all teams anticipate lost ticket revenue this fall.

The price tag of the stadium, which the Chargers will share, was $2.2 billion when owners approved the Rams’ Inglewood, California, proposal in January 2016. The estimated final cost of the stadium, which includes a retail and entertainment district, has ballooned to somewhere between $5 billion and $6 billion, according to Kaplan.

Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, which also remains under construction, is the second-most expensive stadium in league history at $1.9 billion.

SoFi Stadium is scheduled to open this summer, but it remains to be seen how the COVID-19 pandemic will affect that.

NFL owners will vote next week to increase the borrowing limit for all teams from $350 million to $500 million in case games are played without fans.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2020 at 9:18 AM, Bugg said:

When you look at this, Dallas and Las Vegas, it is very disappointing what an utter dump MetLife is comparatively. 

Pipe down.  Unless you wear a dress to work every day, you don't care about appearances, meathead.  Chug your beer and keep your criticism to yourself, Nancy.

SAR I

• Haha 1

On 5/23/2020 at 11:36 PM, Maxman said:

I was looking forward to taking a trip out there this season to see the stadium. So unlikely now.

We were definitely going to go and visit my friend and his family out there (relocated Long Island Jets fans), but it's going to be tough.  Not just corona and its implications, but it doesn't work with the kids school schedules.

SAR I

Shame they couldn't have scheduled the two LA games two weeks apart late in the year, made more perfect if the bye was between them. Could have made nice bookends to a superb parks trip. Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Anza-Borrego, Valley of Fire, Sequoia/Kings Canyon and many others all in shouting distance. Unfortunately, life rarely schedules itself in a nice neat order.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Pipe down.  Unless you wear a dress to work every day, you don't care about appearances, meathead.  Chug your beer and keep your criticism to yourself, Nancy.

SAR I

Reminds me, I'm getting low on beer. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You finally gave someone a gut check that made me laugh out loud.  Kudos, SAR I.  You get a cookie!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

We were definitely going to go and visit my friend and his family out there (relocated Long Island Jets fans), but it's going to be tough.  Not just corona and its implications, but it doesn't work with the kids school schedules.

SAR I

Your kids still have school? For my kids they cancelled it and gave them their diplomas. The one wasn't going to graduate for a few years so it was a pretty big time savings.

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2020 at 6:18 AM, Bugg said:

When you look at this, Dallas and Las Vegas, it is very disappointing what an utter dump MetLife is comparatively. 

I live about 10 minutes from SoFi and was in Vegas right before Covid and saw the Raiders spot. Both are top notch and look incredible.

LA’s Oculus is really going to be something else. I am not a big fan of sitting in the nose bleeds at a concert but with a screen like that it might be worth it. 

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

Your kids still have school? For my kids they cancelled it and gave them their diplomas. The one wasn't going to graduate for a few years so it was a pretty big time savings.

LOL.  Not sure what school will look like in October or December but assuming it's on, my college age and younger age kids have classes on the Monday's after both the Jets games in LA.  I may go myself, hang with my friend, but it's not going to be the big family jamboree I was hoping for.

SAR I

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

LOL.  Not sure what school will look like in October or December but assuming it's on, my college age and younger age kids have classes on the Monday's after both the Jets games in LA.  I may go myself, hang with my friend, but it's not going to be the big family jamboree I was hoping for.

SAR I

Heads up to all: If you plan on AirBNB'ing wait until super close to the date to book. High rates of hosts going under out here and most are switching to full rentals (which we recently took full advantage of). High risk of your lodging getting canceled if you book over the summer. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:48 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I

Metlife is a sick joke. 

Giants stadium was a 1000 times louder and constituted a much, much, much (much) better home field advantage. 

The fact that the two professional football teams representing the greatest city in the world play their home games in that place is nothing short of a disgrace. 

34 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Metlife is a sick joke. 

Giants stadium was a 1000 times louder and constituted a much, much, much (much) better home field advantage. 

The fact that the two professional football teams representing the greatest city in the world play their home games in that place is nothing short of a disgrace. 

Giants Stadium wasn’t louder, Eeyore.  MetLife was ridiculously loud in 2010 and 2015, the only decent seasons we’ve had there.  

It’s not the building.  It’s the fans.  Same Old Jets Fans don’t make noise except when they’re complaining.  

SAR I

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Metlife is a sick joke. 

When we're good, somewhat good, and winning its not quieter.  

It still amazes me that people get this worked up over the razor blade look of the outside of he stadium.  Once in your seat, sitting down for the game, theres little difference from one new stadium to another.