Mims why he was the Steal of the Draft!!

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I’ve watched both videos, and a bunch of others......because I have an addiction, lol.

Mims doesn’t run a full route tree, but the routes he does compliment each other. He runs curls, slants, outs and go routes. Essentially 4 different directions, which is very similar to what Josh Gordon used to run his first year with the Browns.

When you are that fast and have size, defenders have to respect the deep speed. However, Mims has the lateral quickness to be good in slant or out routes as well.

The issues with him will be the nuances of the game, setting up his breaks, release form, etc. If he gets those things down, could legitimately be the top tier WR from this draft.

I think the real factor for him and the Jets depend on Perriman. If Perriman is on the field, that’s either a two safety look, or someone is getting a one on one outside. That’s really the biggest change I’m looking forward to seeing from the offense.

The YouTube guy, Joe, used to post here I believe, I think he was co-hosting the radio. He posts a ton of in-depth pieces that don’t seem to get much views. Wish he went more concept oriented because if you know “middle field closed for a mesh concept” you can probably watch film on your own. However, he puts in a great effort so it’s kind of a shame that it’s not more popular.

Good stuff

ill try to follow the kid more, I appreciate the effort he puts in and thought he gave good analysis plus he somehow is connected enough to have an ex nfl guy like Marcus Coleman talk to him for hours on YouTube- pretty cool

4 hours ago, David Harris said:

he also pushes off A LOT

This was a big thing that jumped out to me also when I watch clips of him... I hope that Jeff and Ward can break him of that habit, cause I think he will get a ton of flags as a rookie... We are after all the JETS, not the PATS...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

I am not concerned about the criticisms. The routes he ran in college were limited to his teams offensive play calls. He can learn to run any route in any playbook. Pushing off is not that big a deal. If he gets called a few times he will learn.

Would not surprise me one bit if he wound up being the best Jets draft pick since Adams.

• Post of the Week 2

Can the steal of the draft catch for 1,000 yards his rookie year, and consistently there after?

Can the steal of the draft help Sam Darnold, the best QB to come out the past three years I hear, throw for over 4,000 yards?

If so, that would be awesome.

I'd like to see these platitudes turn out true on the field for a change.  Maybe Mims is the guy to do it.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mims will probably see 100 balls this year but I think he’ll flash but we shouldn’t expect gangbuster from Jump Street

No offense intended but the only way this guy sees 100 balls is if he's the one carrying the ball bags out to practice every day.  At the very best he will catch 55 to 60 balls for 750 yards his rookie year.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

How exactly have we “seen this movie before” regarding Mims?   Mims is nothing like Hill or Smith.   So other than being drafted in the second round how have we seen this movie before?  

maybe but it's not like mims is a full service wr.  the article says he run 4 routes and sometimes not very well.  hill and smith were similar because they did run many routes.  all of these guys are were/are very fast.

5 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Oh you originally head Stephen Baker and it threw me off.  Mims is far more polished than either coming out IMO, especially Hill.

stephen baket td maker for the giaints.  he was a bit of a one trick pony like stephen hill.  i'm guessing mims is a more complete receiver than hill or smith but at the same time he didn't run many routes.  i think a lot of people think he's the second coming of keyshawn.  the truth is he needs work and right now he's probably going to be backing up perriman.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Hill couldn’t catch.  Mims can

Take a break from obsessing over route tree and look at Mims’ tape from college catching balls thrown behind him while being covered well

So why do you think he fell so hard in the draft, with so many WR's taken before him?

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

First, I would bet that 95% of the receivers coming out of college, and the vast majority of NFL receivers don’t run every route in the tree, it’s an over-blown attribute.  Second, if you watched Hill at Ga. Tech you could see the severe limitations he had, it was an easy eval.   Smith, was about straight line speed, he possessed nothing else.  Being fast is about the only thing Mims has in common with Hill and Smith.  

Most college offenses are nowhere near as complex as what’s in the nfl

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, rangerous said:

stephen hill and devon smith were 2nd rounders who also didn't have a whole lot of routes and were drafted by the jets.

There are no similarities to their games.  Hill had maybe one route and Smith never was on the field, who knows what he would have been

Having to learn the nuances of the game, exactly why WR is one of the tougher transitions of the college to the NFL game

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Most likely it was a loaded WR draft and a lot of teams drafted WR early on

Every year really good WRs fall to round 2

Yes, but why would Mims specifically fall?  Why did a number of GM's think more of lesser prospects?

WR loaded draft is true, but why were many WR's considered lesser than Mims taken ahead of Mims?  I think we might want to know that, doncha think?

2 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Nope

he may turn out to be one of the biggest steals in the draft but the biggest could prove to be a 5th round pick future perennial All Pro ...

Bryce Hall

I hear a bunch of people raving about that guy

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes, but why would Mims specifically fall?  Why did a number of GM's think more of lesser prospects?

WR loaded draft is true, but why were many WR's considered lesser than Mims taken ahead of Mims?  I think we might want to know that, doncha think?

Even more concerning than Mims falling is that everybody seems to think Douglas knew he would fall.  They traded out in the 2nd and Claypool was the next pick.  They had to be comfortable with Claypool, Jefferson, or Mims.  If he miscalculated, the next guys Edwards and Duvernay went after Zuniga IIRC.  Seems like there was either a steep drop or teams just didn't have the need - which is what I suppose happened.  There is no reason to think the Jets or anybody else preferred Mims to Claypool or Jefferson, even if a bunch of us on the board did.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Even more concerning than Mims falling is that everybody seems to think Douglas knew he would fall.  They traded out in the 2nd and Claypool was the next pick.  They had to be comfortable with Claypool, Jefferson, or Mims.  If he miscalculated, the next guys Edwards and Duvernay went after Zuniga IIRC.  Seems like there was either a steep drop or teams just didn't have the need - which is what I suppose happened.  There is no reason to think the Jets or anybody else preferred Mims to Claypool or Jefferson, even if a bunch of us on the board did.

So Mims sucks now because JD was aware of other teams’ draft strategies?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, David Harris said:

So I’ve been working through this 2 hour pod breakdown of Mims by a Jets YouTube guy I don’t know with ex Jet Marcus Coleman. It’s detailed AF.  

My takeaways were that Mims is supremely talented but has some expected but significant things to learn with getting off press coverage with his shimmies and moves at LOS including hand fighting and not going the long way around the CB. He doesn’t have a ton of counter moves at the LOS.

Then at the top of his breaks he has some inefficiencies lunging into breaks with his plant step and not keeping his feet underneath him as well as rounding off his breaks. He also needs to take shorter steps at the breaks for better control and quicker movement.

he ran about 4 routes in college

he also pushes off A LOT, sometimes very clever and sometimes with brute strength that he’ll get some flags on

we have excellent WR coaches in Van Jefferson and Hines Ward to clean these things up and they sound simple on paper but I think in game action it’ll take a lot of reps to develop. WR’s often take a year or two to develop. 

Mims will probably see 100 balls this year but I think he’ll flash but we shouldn’t expect gangbuster from Jump Street.

for anyone interested 

All very true, anyone that has paid attention to what I said  (paradis as well, credit where its due) about mims during the pre draft process, or looked at the film and knew what they were looking for will tell you the same thing.

Alot of this he has probably already been working on, he actually already looked improved in his senior bowl practice film coming out of his breaks in less steps... It takes practice reps.  same goes for release moves, the great thing about both is even with these restricted times, these are things he can get a TON of reps working on right now.  By the time camp roles around he'll be much improved.  

The hand fighting and pushing off is a different story and can be a difficult habit to break as it just comes naturally to some.. Hines was really good at this though, so having him as a resource to work with will help a ton as he develops.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1