Ben

12 hours ago, Ben said:

Who were the (4) worst Jets figures in history 

I’ll go with: 

1) worst HC-Rich Kotite

2) worst GM-John Idzik

3) worst draft bust-Vernon Gholston

4) worst free agent signing-Neil ODonnell 

Only a Bills fan would troll a survey like this. And only moronic or nefarious Jets fans would respond. Carry on.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Yep. I was just about to go Hack and Tru.

HC- Charley Winner 

GM- Idzik

Draft bust- Hackenberg

FA- Trumaine Johnson

heck put john idzik as worst coach (i think he coached for a game or two after winner or holtz or maybe it was ken shipp) and have a father/son team.  agree on trumaine and you could even toss in revis as worst fa signing.  draft busts?  there are so many.  i think i'd go with gholston because he was so high.  lam jones too.  a lot of times it depends when these bad draft picks happen.  the jets might've been able to get over the top if they drafted someone other than jones.  when they drafted gholston they were still rebuilding a bit.

• Upvote 1

The problem with Kotite was that he put a horrible coaching staff together.  He and Holtz are neck and neck as far as the worst Jets coaches IMO.

Kotite's team were much more competitive than Holtz's 1976 Jets. However I consider the 1976 Jets, the worst Jets team ever assembled. 

What a fun thread.  So many choices.

GM -- Idzik and Macc getting a lot of votes (and deservedly so) based on recency bias, but how about a mention for Al Ward.  GM for two seasons, 75 & 76.  Team won 3 games each year, hired Lou Holtz, let John Riggins move on, traded 1st round pick for Billy Newsome.  Dreadful 2 year tenure as a GM.

Coach -- Gotta go with Kotite, although Lou Holtz is a close second.  Kotite gets the nod because Holtz had the good sense to realize what a disaster he was as a pro head coach and voluntarily left to go back to college.

Draft -- So many to choose from.  Based on where they were picked.  Lam Jones, Blair Thomas and Vernon Gholston are probably top 3.  I will give the edge to Gholston -- edge rusher who never had a sack.

FA signing.  Tru and O'Donnell stand out as 1A and 1b. 

• Upvote 4

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

1. Worst HC: Kotite

2. Worst GM: Rex

3. Worst bust: Gholston

4. Worst FA: TIE—Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason

I think Kalechi or Kalil might be worse FA signings.  For sure worse than Burress

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

The problem with Kotite was that he put a horrible coaching staff together.  He and Holtz are neck and neck as far as the worst Jets coaches IMO.

Kotite's team were much more competitive than Holtz's 1976 Jets. However I consider the 1976 Jets, the worst Jets team ever assembled. 

Will never forget that MNF game with Cosell ripping the team for laughing it up on the sidelines in a 41-7 drubbing.  

Also for that stupid fight song Holtz had them singing 

Was Kotite the one who had the Jets line up by number on the sideline for the National Anthem?  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Will never forget that MNF game with Cosell ripping the team for laughing it up on the sidelines in a 41-7 drubbing.  

Was Kotite the one who had the Jets line up by number on the sideline for the National Anthem?  

the infamous gary puetz.  i remember that game too.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the infamous gary puetz.  i remember that game too.

He played 10 seasons a got a SB ring in Wash.  

Not too bad for a 12th-round draft pick out of Valparaiso, 300th player taken

uz5s4gj4psdb56cmbydk.jpg

6 hours ago, Ben said:

I think the jury is still out on McCagnan. He’s proven to be a bad GM, but if Darnold becomes the answer I don’t think you can put him on this list. 

He's one of the worst drafting GM's of all-time (statistically proven to be true) and was even worse at signing FA's.  Trading up to 3 in what at the time was a 2-QB draft and having one of those 2 QB's fall because of Dave Gettleman's stupidity does not give Macc a pass. 

Macc built one of the worst rosters in the NFL to surround Darnold, and that is wasting the window of Darnold on his rookie deal.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Ben said:

I’ll go with: 

1) worst HC-Rich Kotite

2) worst GM-John Idzik

Worst HC   Lou Holtz

Worst GM  Idzik

Worst Draft Bust    Lam Jones or Blair Thomas   (look at the HOF players taken right after them)

Worst FA Signing    Neil O'Donnell      Tough to argue a QB who is that bad.

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That was Holtz also.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

GM -- Idzik and Macc getting a lot of votes (and deservedly so) based on recency bias, but how about a mention for Al Ward.  GM for two seasons, 75 & 76.  Team won 3 games each year, hired Lou Holtz, let John Riggins move on, traded 1st round pick for Billy Newsome.  Dreadful 2 year tenure as a GM.

Coach -- Gotta go with Kotite, although Lou Holtz is a close second.  Kotite gets the nod because Holtz had the good sense to realize what a disaster he was as a pro head coach and voluntarily left to go back to college.

Draft -- So many to choose from.  Based on where they were picked.  Lam Jones, Blair Thomas and Vernon Gholston are probably top 3.  I will give the edge to Gholston -- edge rusher who never had a sack.

I went with Lam and Thomas over Gholston because of how strong those drafts were.   They took those guys over HOF players taken right after them.   Gholston is an epic bust, but the class wasn't that great.

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Herm lived off the talent acquired from the Parcells era, much like Rex lived off the talent brought in from the Mangini/Tannenbaum combo.  

He, like Rex, was a clown.  

I wouldn't put Herm OR Rex on this mountain over Kotite.  But both showed their true colors as coaches after the talent started to run out.  

A bad HC can screw up almost anything though.  Herm did a decent job I thought.  Don't get me wrong though.  I was glad when he was gone and I couldn't believe KC gave us a draft pick for him.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

like the 'worst loss' threads, one needs an encyclopedic shelf arranged by decades.

• Haha 2

Will never forget that MNF game with Cosell ripping the team for laughing it up on the sidelines in a 41-7 drubbing.   Also for that stupid fight song Holtz had them singing  Was Kotite the one who had the Jets line up by number on the sideline for the National Anthem?     

alex karras on air said he would punch him out if on his team. (garry puetz)  

kotite lined them up by number.

recently watched this 1975 jets yearbook. 

note the incredible power of nfl films and john facenda

to make this team look like a juggernaut.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Herm lived off the talent acquired from the Parcells era, much like Rex lived off the talent brought in from the Mangini/Tannenbaum combo.  

He, like Rex, was a clown.  

I wouldn't put Herm OR Rex on this mountain over Kotite.  But both showed their true colors as coaches after the talent started to run out.  

Parcells lived off the talent acquired by Steinberg/Kotite.  The Jets made the playoffs 1 time from. 1992-2000, made it 3 of the next 4 with Herm. Once with a team of leftovers and with each new playoff app the team was retooled.

What did mangini do with the talent "he acquired"?  Did you notice any big browns run after he was fired there?

We have some of the worst fans in sports. Will leave favre and mangini and bash those that helped us like Herm, Rex, Chad, Sanchez,...

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

A bad HC can screw up almost anything though.  Herm did a decent job I thought.  Don't get me wrong though.  I was glad when he was gone and I couldn't believe KC gave us a draft pick for him.

Herm was a good HC, was he bill Parcells? Of course not, there aren't many Parcells types out there but he was really good for this franchise.  

17 hours ago, Ben said:

I’ll go with: 

1) worst HC-Rich Kotite

2) worst GM-John Idzik

That's pretty solid to me.  Todd Bowles was pretty terrible (record withstanding) he just looked clueless out there.  As far as draft busts you can also consider Blair Thomas he was a #2 pick overall.  Free agent signing, based on money and performance you can add Trumaine Johnson on the list.

1 hour ago, jago said:

i distinctly recall seeing kotite line them up. not sure about holtz.
maybe RK was emulating..

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2011/02/1976-jets-hire-lou-holtz-as-head-coach.html

Things did not go well for Holtz or the Jets in 1976. The coach tried to inject a college spirit into the team, and it fell flat. He wrote a fight song for the players that became a source of ridicule and had them line up by height along the sideline for the national anthem prior to each game. In short, he simply was not prepared for the pro game at that point in his career (and admitted as much years later).

Worst FA in terms of wasted money has to be Trumaine Johnson but Worst FA in terms of production has to be that CB we signed from Miami that no-showed the Preseason game and just disappeared from the team. Can't remember his name and unfortunately googling "Jets Defensive Back Disappears" brings up WAYYY too many results. 

18 hours ago, Ben said:

I’ll go with: 

1) worst HC-Rich Kotite

2) worst GM-John Idzik

defo this is subject title of the year nominee!!

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

https://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2011/02/1976-jets-hire-lou-holtz-as-head-coach.html

Things did not go well for Holtz or the Jets in 1976. The coach tried to inject a college spirit into the team, and it fell flat. He wrote a fight song for the players that became a source of ridicule and had them line up by height along the sideline for the national anthem prior to each game. In short, he simply was not prepared for the pro game at that point in his career (and admitted as much years later).

ah. so holtz lines them up by height and kotite by number.