The Case for Gase

"Lets see what Gase can do this year"...my sentiments too.

Don't have a dog in this fight of..."pro Gase vs anti Gase" pissing contest...of who's the smart ones that gets it right.   

With a crap OL...loss of Herndon...and a zombie RB in Bell.  Plus...the creme de la creme...a mono QB...that lead to a 1-7 start.  Yet the team held together...finishing the 2nd half season 6-2.   

So...I'm still curious...why Peyton Manning considered Gase...to have an impressive offensive mind.  IMO, there's enough pieces JD has provided Gase this offseason...that we should be able to see what he can do.  As well as Darnold too.

Jets have enough team balance this year...to compete..and win...the AFCE.

Looking forward to see what happens. 

Oh...hat 2 please?

• Upvote 4

about the only thing you can say against gase is that bowles didn't exactly have a great cast to work with either.  he did have a winning record in year one but after that did nothing.  and it's pretty clear that mac did a horrible job of bringing in good players, especially those needed at key positions.

let's see what gase can do.  if can build on the 6-2 finish then the jets probably found their keeper.  the key will be having a team that is consistently good in all facets.  and i will say i think it's huge that they didn't have a turnover of position coaches.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Good points Beanz. Alot of us have been willing to give Gase time to create something here, it's the logical thing to do.

I like hat 1 

Unfortunately, it is the only thing to do.  He's under contract.  He's "rich" 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

There seems to be an odd misconception that we, fans, in some way have a choice on that. 

Or that critical/doubting fans somehow think Gase will be fired now.  We don't.

We ALL will "see what happens" this year, like it or lump it.  It doesn't have to be an individual sentiment, it's just a fact.

6 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Don't have a dog in this fight of..."pro Gase vs anti Gase" pissing contest...of who's the smart ones that gets it right.   

With a crap OL...loss of Herndon...and a zombie RB in Bell.  Plus...the creme de la creme...a mono QB...that lead to a 1-7 start.  Yet the team held together...finishing the 2nd half season 6-2.   

So...I'm still curious...why Peyton Manning considered Gase...to have an impressive offensive mind.  IMO, there's enough pieces JD has provided Gase this offseason...that we should be able to see what he can do.  As well as Darnold too.

Oh...hat 2 please?

Zombie

I'd just like to know what Adam Gase has done in his hc career to give anyone any real enthusiasm for him other than crossing fingers and hoping.

He essentially  has had one year of real success and that was as a QB coach for Peyton Manning, years ago.

The parts of the team that did well last year had little to do with Gase.

We are wasting our time with this guy.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Oh...hat 2 please?

Same sentiments here.  I could make a 10 minute argument FOR Gase and a 10 minute argument AGAINST Gase.

What I will say though is that last year's excuses are no longer acceptable (poor roster, injuries, players that don't fit his system, Mono, etc.).  The roster is now significantly more aligned to the types of guys he wants.  And, even if this roster is still just below average, the Jets have largely purged guys that don't fit.

I don't know if the Jets will win more than 8 games given a schedule that includes both Super Bowl teams, games on the road vs. the Rams, Seahawks, etc. but I expect them to look significantly better....and if they don't then we're looking for a new HC come 2021.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Apropos of nothing, Rex Ryan was here for six seasons and had a winning record in only two of those, but he was beloved because he kissed the fans’ asses and spoke like a backwoods honky-tonk bouncer and too many people ate it up.

Whoa!  That sounds like a swipe at Rex Ryan.  And...you take a swipe at one of ours, T0m, we're going to take a swipe at two of yours!!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Apropos of nothing, Rex Ryan was here for six seasons and had a winning record in only two of those, but he was beloved because he kissed the fans’ asses and spoke like a backwoods honky-tonk bouncer and too many people ate it up.

That plus he made back-to-back AFC championship games while winning 4 playoff games on the road (including at New England plus beating Peyton Manning).  And 2 of those were with a rookie QB.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Adam Gase went 6-2 down the stretch, so there's that.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Here's what I ate...

Rex took a good talented team he inherited...and sent the Jets into back-to-back AFCCGs.  Quaterbacked by a backup talent in Sanchez...that had only 16 college starts to boot.  Outside of Supe 3...Jets never had this level of success before.  

He saw the talents of Revis...and schemed his defense around him.  To compensate for a mediocre pass rush.  Thus was born Revis Island...and Jets defense was transformed into a #1 and #3 one...in '09 and '10 seasons respectively. 

That's what I swallowed.  That's what suckered me in.

Everything else you said about Rex Ryan is true. 

He was an excellent DC...and never a legit HC.  After those two playoff seasons...he was given too much power.  And because he was Buddy Ryan's son...the offense went to sh!!t!   Tannenbaum was a weak GM.  With no vision for the team.  He was nothing more then a facilitator for the whims and wants of Ryan and Woody.  Thus...the Tebow Circus was allowed.  Rex insisted that he have the 5th pick of every draft...to choose his very own toy to play with.  And away we go! 

Eventually...the handsome attire he acquired from those playoff seasons...was stripped away...he was now in his long johns...for all to see.  And Mercifully...he deservedly got fired.    

Again...it wasn't the aw-shucks hokiness  that attracted me to Rex.  No...I put up with that.  It was those AFCCG appearances Rex provided...that as a desperate Jets fan like me...thirsted for!   A chance to get into the Supe!   

Like I've said in a few posts before.  This is the Last Dance.  JD the last GM NYJ I trust.  To transform the Jets into a perennial playoff team.  That will one day land into the Supe...and hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Like I've said in a few posts before.  This is the Last Dance.  JD the last GM NYJ I trust.  To transform the Jets into a perennial playoff team.  That will one day land into the Supe...and hoist the Lombardi Trophy.

Sorry...but I have to do this.  Really, I do feel bad but you left me no choice.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I was on a Chargers board and two guys were arguing about who had been a bigger critic of Gase, sooner.  Like it was as cool as being hip to some band before somebody else.  He need to really start to turn this thing around.  I mean even teams without any fans are coming after him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Sorry...but I have to do this.  Really, I do feel bad but you left me no choice.  

Download video

I know this will be boring as hell to put up with.  Your attention span will wane I'm sure.  Sorry...but I have to do this...I can't resist...this Last Dance...

Download video

The problem comes down to the entire argument for Gase is nothing more than an endless stream of excuses, which is why it will never mean much of anything to me.  He's got at least one more year, so I'll put up with it, as we all will no matter what we think, and will certainly hope for the best, but have little reason to feel much optimism that that will ever come.

In the end, the sole positive on Gase's entire coaching resume has been him being one of the many nameless OCs who stood by and watched Manning run the offense himself, none of whom similarly had the least bit of coaching success elsewhere.  After all, who exactly would like the Jets HC to instead be Tom Moore, Clyde Christensen, Mike McCoy, or Rick Dennison?  Yeah, I didn't think so, and he's really no different than any of them.

• Upvote 3

There is literally no case for Gase.  None.  But he will be our HC next year.  I don't think anything is guaranteed for him after this upcoming season and, in my opinion, will have to earn his 3rd year.  

I don't see JD waiting on this guy if he doesn't produce this year.

• Upvote 2

@GREENBEAN

Hat #2 gets my vote.

I have the same one, only I bought the one made by '47 Brand. I stopped buying New Era products once they let my nephew go. I had to do the same thing with Under Armour Products. 

If the kid doesn't learn how to hold onto a job soon, I'm going to be running out of options...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

I know this will be boring as hell to put up with.  Your attention span will wane I'm sure.  Sorry...but I have to do this...I can't resist...this Last Dance...

Download video

That was RIVETING!!!

(the blonde looks just like my first baby momma though)

7 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

what record do you predict for them this year?

You know, that’s a really good question.  I haven’t thought about it much and there are so many variables. With that said, I think we’re going to have a top 10 defense, possibly even top 5.

Offense, while I expect Sam to step up and Mims to have a solid rookie season.  I’m still concerned about the OLine and Gase will certainly hold them back.

So, with all of that said, probably 6 wins.

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That plus he made back-to-back AFC championship games while winning 4 playoff games on the road (including at New England plus beating Peyton Manning).  And 2 of those were with a rookie QB.

He went to those AFC championship games his first two years. He won with who I believe were Mangini's players. When he started to make the decisions on player personnel, he went downhill, knocking Tannenbaum right off the mountain. He should have been gone at that time also. His last few years he was nothing but a party joke.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

6-2 after 1-7 has him in talks for an extension.  One of the greatest coaching accomplishments in Jets history. 

SAR I

I think the only other team to top that was the one in which Vinny Testaverde, blew out his Achilles in the first game of the season.  Then the team went into a dive...bottomed out at 1-7.  Then rallied...and reversed that...to a 7-1 2nd half finish.  That 8-8 season...was probably the best coaching of Parcells career.  

But "sh!!tty" Gase...only managed to bounce back from 1-7 start...with a 6-2 finish.   Parcells goes to Canton.  Gase gets quartered and lynched...in just about every 2-3 page thread.

Lol...the irony in that?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1