Top 10 concerts in your lifetime

10 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

I've seen them a few times, but the last time (IZOD Center in 2014) was a bit disappointing. They were good, and I dunno if it's the difference between the US market and the European market, but the one thing that stood out was they didn't play Painkiller. Couldn't believe it. 

I remember one of my suite-mates back in '76 (oh, God) turning us on to their first record, Rocka Rolla.  They had no leather garb and the first photo of the band I ever saw had K.K. in a floppy hat (see below).  lol  How their look would change. 

judas-priest-early-band-photo-e141019392 

I always loved the twin guitar attack of K.K. and Glenn Tipton.  Those guys could rock.

• Upvote 1

rush msg r40 tour

The Who meadowlands. 1989 ish

U2 giants stadium. Pop tour?

rolling stones steel wheels. Giants stadium. No idea what year 

Monsters of rock. 87?  Van Halen and Metallica 

Motley Crue. Jones beach. 7 years ago?

Best shows ever:

Rush - Time Machine Tour - MSG 2011 - Front row!

PJ - 2016 - Jacksonville

George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars - 1996 - Electric Factory - Philly

Springsteen at Giants Stadium - 87 or 88

Dead - 1994 - Spectrum in Philly

Chris Cornell - 2016 - Florida Theater - Jax

Soul Coughing - 1995 - TLA in Phillu

U2 - Giants Stadium - summer of 91 - ZooTV tour

Blues Traveler - 2002 - Freebird Cafe - Jax Beach

The first two Lollapaloozas - 1991 and 1992 - Waterloo Village in Jersey

Ben Harper - 1995 - Electric Factory - Philly

• Upvote 1

So many t go thru

in no particular order

1- Pink Floyd - The Wall 1980 Nassau Coliseum (note Roger Waters doing it again 30 years later was just as impressive)

2 Kansas 1979 Point of No Return tour (one of the most underated bands ever)

3 Iron Maiden 2010 Houston TX - 1st time seeing them in 27 years thought they would be a shell of what they once were, they blew me away

4 Rush - countless times but the best 1981 3rd row Coliseum

5 Rainbow - 1978 with Dio — AC/DC opened and were bood off the stage. Blackmore was incredible. 

6 Kiss 1977 MSG 1st concert ever — 

7 Foghat - 1977 Commack Arena - 2nd concert and 1st time smoking weed. Listen to Foghat Live and that is pretty much the show we saw.(it was recorded 1 week before my show)

8 Yes -  Countless times but the 90125 was the best for me.

9 Dixie Dregs 1982 Somme dinner theater on Long Island — just incredible

10 Van Halen F.U.C.K tour — with Hagar — was perfect from beginning to end.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slowmoe57 said:

So many t go thru

in no particular order

1- Pink Floyd - The Wall 1980 Nassau Coliseum (note Roger Waters doing it again 30 years later was just as impressive)

2 Kansas 1979 Point of No Return tour (one of the most underated bands ever)

3 Iron Maiden 2010 Houston TX - 1st time seeing them in 27 years thought they would be a shell of what they once were, they blew me away

4 Rush - countless times but the best 1981 3rd row Coliseum

5 Rainbow - 1978 with Dio — AC/DC opened and were bood off the stage. Blackmore was incredible. 

6 Kiss 1977 MSG 1st concert ever — 

7 Foghat - 1977 Commack Arena - 2nd concert and 1st time smoking weed. Listen to Foghat Live and that is pretty much the show we saw.(it was recorded 1 week before my show)

8 Yes -  Countless times but the 90125 was the best for me.

9 Dixie Dregs 1982 Somme dinner theater on Long Island — just incredible

10 Van Halen F.U.C.K tour — with Hagar — was perfect from beginning to end.

I may have been at that show....  Permanent Waves tour. I sat 3rd row also. Were the Good Rats the opening act??  

seen quite a few but one that always sticks with me was seeing the punk band X play at a little club in Lincoln NE in either '83 or '84.

There were 4 bands including X playing.  This club always oversold the venue and since it was a 21 and over show, lots of kids got turned away at the door.  There was probably around 200 people in the club and around 500 in the parking lot.  

The group I was with had gotten there very early with a table upfront.

So once the opening acts finished playing, the crowd was rather riled up from drinking, smoking for a couple of hours.

X hits the stage and the first thing that happens is that John Doe says hello and to say that "we don't like to be spit on so please don't" which caused two mohawk'd dudes upfront to start spitting on him.  John Doe and DJ Bonebrake fly off the stage and start smacking them around.

Once the fight finished, John Doe gets up and says "Now let's rock and roll" and the crowd went wild.

The entire set was electric and went for about 2 hours.  The only break came was when someone in the crowd said there was a bunch of kids in the parking lot dancing.  Since the stage was at the front of the venue, there were windows covered by curtains.  The band pulled down the curtains and turned around and played to the audience outside.  The band seemed truly shocked that they had garnered so much attention for dink Midwest town.

It was truly a pure rock and roll scene.

edit: spent most of the show dancing on a table.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I may have been at that show....  Permanent Waves tour. I sat 3rd row also. Were the Good Rats the opening act??  

I was at a show with the Rats opening. But I think that was 79 as I was in High School still. That was my 1st Rush show. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:48 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

A few weeks ago, I posted a thread asking you for to pick your top 3 classic rock songs of all-time.  That went well, so today I'd like to find out everyone's top 10 favorite concerts in their lifetimes.  

One request:  If you're including a music festival, that's fine.  Just pick out up to 3 artists from that festival, don't just say "Bonnaroo" or "Austin City Limits".  

Here are mine:

1. The Rolling Stones (Raleigh, NC - 2015)
  2. AC/DC (Greensboro, NC - 2009)
  3. Stone Temple Pilots (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2009)
  4. Megadeth (Myrtle Beach House of Blues - 2013)
  5. Metallica (Atlanta - 2017)
  6. Disturbed (Washington D.C. - 2019)
  7. The Eagles (Nashville - 2013)
  8. KISS and Mötley Crüe (Raleigh, NC - 2012)
  9. Foreigner (Raleigh, NC - 2017)
  10. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young (Madison Square Garden - 2000)

Honorable mention: 

• Snoop Dogg (Wilmington, NC - 2016)
  • Lynyrd Skynyrd (Wilmington, NC - 2013)
  • Van Halen (Raleigh, NC - 2015)  

David Lee Roth was not good, unfortunately, which keeps Van Halen off the list.  But Eddie killed it as per usual.

have I asked? Are you in Raleigh? Do you come to Jets Fan Club Bar on Game Days?

On 6/22/2020 at 2:27 PM, southparkcpa said:

Foreigner isn’t even Foreigner without Lou Gramm. like Loverboy and other bands, they were packaged in the late 1970s.  I like them. saw them live many times but they are not in my view a classic band.  they are in a class with REO Speedwagon. 

A great post about terrible concerts! I saw Billy Squier open for Foreigner, and Squier blew them off the stage. Juke Box Hero tour. Saw Loverboy open for Journey around the same time (and place, Nassau), and they were better than Journey, but still crap. Saw REO, too, maybe the worst show ever. 

Some memorable shows in no particular order...

The Tubes at Stony Brook gym, Completion Backward Principle tour. Numerous costume changes and a moving stage. White Punks on Dope! 

Grateful Dead with Steve Miller opening at Giants Stadium, properly medicated, walking onto the field thru the tunnel I'd seen on TV countless times watching football, Steve Miller playing Living In The USA. Classic. 

Prince, Purple Rain Tour. Enough said. 

R.E.M. at Jones Beach in the rain, Modest Mouse opening. Show had a weather intermission, R.E.M. came out with CCR's Have You Ever Seen The Rain and moved into a set of nothing but their most upbeat songs, the whole place dancing off the rain. Even played The End Of The World, which they hadn't done in years at that point. 

The Police with Elvis Costello at Jones, the Police came out on stage with Elvis with fake sideburns and glasses, and Sting did a duet of Allison with him. 

Sting with the London Philharmonic at Jones. Rocking Next To You on the violins. 

Jane's Addiction, Terminal 5, NYC. Place was absolutely jumping. Thought the crowd was going to take over Manhattan that night. 

Stevie Ray Vaughn and Joe Cocker. Pretty sure they flipped the bill show to show, but Cocker was the opener that night. SRV played guitar in Cocker's band for his entire set. Also Jones. 

Van Halen, Nassau, gonna say the 1984 tour. Dave in assless chaps. Nice for a mod like me. 

Neil Young, MSG, maybe ten years ago now. Just a virtuoso. I like Neil, but I'm not the biggest fan. But damn, he just put on a performance. 

Roger Waters Wall tour, Nassau. A must see. Was my nephew's first show, explained to him that he was now ruined for life. No concert was ever gonna be a cool as that one for him. 

• Upvote 3

On 6/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, munchmemory said:

Forgot a few good ones:

Angel/Rush/ZZ Top (in that order), Syracuse War Memorial (1976?)

Harry Chapin, Brooklyn College

Prince, twice in the 80s at MSG

EDIT:  Kiss, LI Coliseum (New Year's Eve 1975)

Harry Chapin?  Saw him at Stony Brook when I was 18 and he pulled people on stage to try the high note verse in Taxi.  Fun.  He was loved by all.

I was devastated when his little volkswagon got crushed by a truck on the LIE near Huntington.  RIP

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Guns N Roses at MSG with Soundgarden opening up

GNR in Vegas to start NITL tour

Paul McCartney in London's Apollo theatre

Green Day in London

Pantera at Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Metalllica with Guns N Roses at Giants Stadium

Billy Joel in Dublin

Guns N Roses in Seoul

Butch Walker in any venue any time

Metallica in Colorado with Jerry Cantrell opening up

Pearl Jam in Boston

Edited by AFJF

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Harry Chapin?  Saw him at Stony Brook when I was 18 and he pulled people on stage to try the high note verse in Taxi.  Fun.  He was loved by all.

I was devastated when his little volkswagon got crushed by a truck on the LIE near Huntington.  RIP

First concert I ever saw was Harry Chapin doing a benefit at South Side High School in Rockville Centre.  Pretty sure it was just Harry on stage with his guitar.  No band.  Probably mid 70s.

Great singer-songwriter.  Taken from us way too early.  

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, AFJF said:

Guns N Roses at MSG with Soundgarden opening up

GNR in Vegas to start NITL tour

Paul McCartney in London's Apollo theatre

Green Day in London

Pantera at Red Rocks Amphitheatre

Metalllica with Guns N Roses at Giants Stadium

Billy Joel in Dublin

Guns N Roses in Seoul

Butch Walker in any venue any time

Metallica in Colorado with Jerry Cantrell opening up

Pearl Jam in Boston

Was at both of those GNR shows. At the time, wasn't really all that aware or interested in Soundgarden nor Metalllica(until later). And since GNR back then quite foolishly for their bottom line did not take the stage until 1130PM, partied rather than go into the concert. In fact at the Giants Stadium show, we left the parking lot during Metallica to go get more beer from someplace on Route 3. Getting out of that stadium that morning (liked 230/3) was about as scary as I can recall. It was jam packed. Was a 100 degree/100% humidity/no breeze night. EVERYBODY was wasted. 

• Upvote 2

Not so crazy about huge venues so I am going to list shows that I saw and enjoyed at Clubs or smaller venues.  Most of them so long ago that I can't remember specific dates:

1.  James Brown at the Lone Star (mid eighties);

2.  The Clash at Bonds (1981);

3.  The Clash/Sam & Dave/The Undertones at the Palladium (78 or 79);

4.  Red Hot Chili Peppers at Irving Plaza (mid eighties);

5.  Ramones at CBGBs and other NYC clubs (late 70s);

6.  Naughty by Nature at Tramps (early 90s);

7.  Dead Boys at Irving Plaza (80ish);  

8. Johnny Thunders at Tramp, other NYC clubs (80s)

9.  Link Wray at Lupo's (84?);

10.  PIL at the Ritz (80?).

• Upvote 1

1.  Bad Religion - True North Tour 2013

2.  Richard Thompson Electric Trio - US Tour 2019

3.  Metallica - Hardwired.... to Self Distruct Tour 2019

4.  Pantera - Far Beyond Driven Tour 1997

5.  Ozzfest Western US Leg (Black Sabbath, Rob Zombie, Slayer, Primus, Slipknot, Fear Factory, SOAD,) 1999

6.  Tool - AEnima Tour 1998

7.  AIC - Black Gives Way To Blue Tour 2009

8.  Fear Factory/Strapping Young Lad - Fall Tour 2005

9.  Back Door Slam - Roll Away Tour 2009

10.  Ronnie Montrose Band - His Last Tour 2011

1 2006 GWAR @ the Ultra Lounge in Orono Maine

2 1988 Monsters of Rock with Van Halen/Scorpions/Metallica/Dokken/Kingdom Come @ Oxford Plains Speedway

3 1995 Ramones/White Zombie @ Lewiston Me

4 1991 Janes Addiction/Lush @ Portland Me

5 1997 Korn/Helmet/Limp Bizkit @ Lewiston Me

6 1991 Clash of the Titans Tour Slayer/Megadeth/Anthrax/Alice in Chains @ Portland Me

7 1999 Coal Chamber/Slipknot/H-Blox @ Lewiston me

8 1991 Queensryche/Suicidal Tendancies @ Portland Me

9 1990 The Cult/Dangerous Toys/Bonham @ Portland Me

10 ??? Hed Pe ???

• Upvote 1

1. Michael Jackson reunion with Jackson 5 at MSG 1st night

2. Michael Jackson reunion with Jackson 5 at MSG 2nd night

3. Stone Temple Pilots at The Paramount, Scott Weiland's last show with them before he died I think

4. ZZ Top at the Paramount 

5. Rush at Jones Beach 2003 R30 tour

6. Metallica and Godsmack at Nassau Coliseum

7. Lionel Richie at Jones Beach

8. Neil Diamond at MSG

9. Michael Buble at Radio City or Theatre at MSG cant remember 

10. Matchbox 20 at the Paramount

• Upvote 1

Pink Floyd, Jul. 10, 1994, RFK Stadium

Metallica, Apr. 1, 1992, Capital Centre (My first real concert). 10th row.

Rusted Root, Mar. 3, 1999, 9:30 Club

Muse, Mar. 1, 2010, Patriot Center

The Dead South, er, don't have the date in front of me actually.  A few years back, 9:30 club, their first real American tour

Manchester Orchestra, also don't have the date handy, Wolf Trap (2nd row)., 

That's the top Top 6.

The rest would be a mix of (many) Dead & Company, The Dead, The Other Ones, Further (all post Jerry, sadly, missing the Dead in 1992-1995 is my biggest regret), Roger Waters, Muse, Radiohead, Metallica, Dead South, Rusted Root, Offspring, etc. shows other than those listed above.  They were all pretty awesome.

• Upvote 1

How about first concert you ever went to?

Older brother of a friend took us to Central Park (Shaffer Music Festival - Wollman Rink) to see Richie Havens. Opening was Cashman, Pistilli & West (Cashman was the guy who did that talking baseball song years later)

The brother was a real hippie and his friends were really cool and what's this cigarette with the tapered ends that you are passing to me? 

I still have the love beads they gave me that night

• Sympathy 2