Gase Meets With Media, Says Jets Won’t Commit to Jamal Adams Extension or Kneeling With Team

gase.jpg

Speaking with the media for the first time since June, Jets head coach Adam Gase answered some questions via teleconference with the Jets beat and was predictably asked early on about the Jamal Adams saga.  Gase wouldn’t offer a concrete answer as to whether or not the Jets planned on getting a new deal done with Adams before the season starts, but also praised him as one of the best players in the organization.

Gase is going to the old "staying in-house" line on some of the Jamal questions. Wouldn't say if they're open to giving him an extension before the season. #Jets

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) June 26, 2020

Gase said that this is a tough part of the business but that the two sides have to figure out a way to get to a good place.

Gase on Jamal Adams: "Tough part of the business…one of best players working through things with the organization. Gotta figure out a way to get to a good place." #Jets

— Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) June 26, 2020

Touching on one of the league’s hot button issues at the moment, Gase was asked if he would kneel during the National Anthem with players who chose to do so but Gase did not commit one way or the other, saying there’s a “long way before the season”.

Gase asked about players potentially kneeling for anthem. Says several did while he was in Miami. "I'm here to support the players." … On whether he'll kneel with players: "We've got a long way to go before we play a game. There will be a lot of discussions before then." #Jets

— Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73) June 26, 2020

Gase also had high praise for 37-year-old running back Frank Gore, whose role on offense isn’t entirely clear at the moment.  Gase relied heavily on Gore a couple of years ago in Miami and put him ahead of the much younger Kenyon Drake.  Could we see a repeat of that in 2020 with La’Mical Perine spending some time learning behind Gore?

Asked point blank by Kim Jones of the NFL Network if he wants Jamal Adams on  his roster in 2020, Gase made it clear that he does, saying “yes, I want Jamal on our team”.

I asked #NYJ coach Adam Gase, Do you want Jamal Adams on your team in 2020? "Yes, I want Jamal on our team." #Jets

— Kim Jones (@KimJonesSports) June 26, 2020

In touching briefly on Sam Darnold’s workouts with quarterback guru Jordan Palmer, Gase said he’s happy with the work they do and that he and offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains spoke with Darnold before his workouts were under way.

The post Gase Meets With Media, Says Jets Won’t Commit to Jamal Adams Extension or Kneeling With Team appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
VR8STlO1zwU

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

gase.jpg

Asked point blank by Kim Jones of the NFL Network if he wants Jamal Adams on  his roster in 2020, Gase made it clear that he does, saying “yes, I want Jamal on our team”.

I asked #NYJ coach Adam Gase, Do you want Jamal Adams on your team in 2020? "Yes, I want Jamal on our team." #Jets

VR8STlO1zwU

That’s not what Gase told me

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

A+ handling by Gase

Knock him all you want, but he got 7 wins out of an absolutely destroyed team and has handled the media better than most coaches the last couple of decades

7 wins LOL 2 at best were ‘good’ wins - the other 5 were, to be nice, pathetic. Regardless, my concern isn’t if Gase is a competent HC. Rare to find one that can handle both sides of the ball like the ole skool guys Lombardi, Landry, Gibbs, Parcells etc. My concern is can Gase make Sam into the QB he’s meant to be. I’ve seen streaks of very good progress. And with all the messy distractions: new HC, mono, injury, new GM, disastrous OL/WR’s.....Sam has been able to hold his own and kept progressing. So IMO Gase is doing a solid job with Sam and that’s all I expect from Gase. Everything else will fall in place through JD and GW. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, John Blaze said:

Speaking of Manish, it was pretty weak of him to not be on that call today after writing that b.s story wasn't it? 

Everyone has known a Manish at some point in their life. If he had the upper body strength to overpower a child he'd throw them all overboard to get a lifeboat. The Jets will win a Super Bowl before Manish projects any real semblance of strength

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’m not a fan of Gase as a HC but my gawdddd would I love to see him just coach his ass off and be shut up so many ppl this year. 

He coached his ass off last season and shut up a lot of people in the process already.  That 6-2 finish with that train wreck of a roster was one of the best coaching jobs in team history.  

SAR I

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

He coached his ass off last season and shut up a lot of people in the process already.  That 6-2 finish with that train wreck of a roster was one of the best coaching jobs in team history.  

SAR I

GW and Sammy get props for that finish as well. Players-play and Coaches-coach.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’m not a fan of Gase as a HC but my gawdddd would I love to see him just coach his ass off and be shut up so many ppl this year. 

Agreed.  

20 hours ago, Mogglez said:

What an absolutely ridiculous clickbait article header.  The picture chosen for Gase is the cherry on top of this sh*t sundae.

Lastly, taking Gase's answer on the kneeling predicament and twisting that into click-bait was especially disgusting, given that it's a very serious topic and his answer was perfectly fine.

relax, adam.

17 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

7 wins LOL 2 at best were ‘good’ wins - the other 5 were, to be nice, pathetic. Regardless, my concern isn’t if Gase is a competent HC. Rare to find one that can handle both sides of the ball like the ole skool guys Lombardi, Landry, Gibbs, Parcells etc. My concern is can Gase make Sam into the QB he’s meant to be. I’ve seen streaks of very good progress. And with all the messy distractions: new HC, mono, injury, new GM, disastrous OL/WR’s.....Sam has been able to hold his own and kept progressing. So IMO Gase is doing a solid job with Sam and that’s all I expect from Gase. Everything else will fall in place through JD and GW. 

Do me a favor, go through the records of every team in the NFL and take away all the wins that dont meet your criteria.  We'd wind up in the same general spot.

Wins are wins.  You dont get to take them away as if they didnt happen.  

I agree with Sam though, thats Gases most important job.  He can lose a game by not going for two at the right time or showing good clock management as long as Sam is playing well and developing.  

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

There's no reason why we can't be a top 15 offense with the talent we have right now. Good oline now, very good rbs. And an underrated tall and fast wr/te core. It all comes down to play calling. *Cough Gase.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Do me a favor, go through the records of every team in the NFL and take away all the wins that dont meet your criteria.  We'd wind up in the same general spot.

Wins are wins.  You dont get to take them away as if they didnt happen.  

I agree with Sam though, thats Gases most important job.  He can lose a game by not going for two at the right time or showing good clock management as long as Sam is playing well and developing.  

Yes please take all meaningless wins away over the last 5 years and we end up with better draft picks but Macc screwed that up anyways.

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Yes please take all meaningless wins away over the last 5 years and we end up with better draft picks but Macc screwed that up anyways.

Newsflash number 1, Macc is gone.

Two, wins are wins, theres no such thing as a meaningless win except to fans who just dont understand the game and the draft.  

5 hours ago, TNJet said:

There's no reason why we can't be a top 15 offense with the talent we have right now. Good oline now, very good rbs. And an underrated tall and fast wr/te core. It all comes down to play calling. *Cough Gase.

I'm good with the playcalling the last 8 games, so I'm good with the playcalling for the next 8.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Newsflash number 1, Macc is gone.

Two, wins are wins, theres no such thing as a meaningless win except to fans who just dont understand the game and the draft.  

So you’re telling me you wouldn’t want those three number two pics that we had to give up to get Sam. Incredibly we still got Sam through some divine intervention. At that point, it was best to just tear it down and rebuild. But hey those 4 MEANINGLESS wins were something huh. 

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

So you’re telling me you wouldn’t want those three number two pics that we had to give up to get Sam. Incredibly we still got Sam through some divine intervention. At that point, it was best to just tear it down and rebuild. But hey those 4 MEANINGLESS wins were something huh. 

Here it is, football teams don’t lose on purpose.  Players aren’t stupid and have 4 year lifespans.  Coaches have to win.  Winning also is an acquired talent that teams need to learn.   NFL teams don’t tank.  Forget it. This isn’t the NBA.  It doesn’t happen.  Hell the draft that you think will happen in Sept will completely different in April