Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jetsfan80

NFLPA tells board NFL has proposed 35% salary escrow

Recommended Posts

https://www.nfl.com/news/nflpa-tells-board-league-has-proposed-35-player-salary-escrow

 

NFLPA tells board NFL has proposed 35% salary escrow

f6b7udz3xm3jglfakq9q.svg

Grant Gordon

NFL.COM DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER

 

As the COVID-19 pandemic has created concern and uncertainty for the upcoming 2020 NFL season, the league and NFL Players Association remain undecided in regards to aspects of testing, preseason games and training camp structure.

On Tuesday, economics have come into focus as the NFLPA informed its board of representatives that the NFL has proposed 35% of player salaries be held in escrow to aid in managing costs during the 2020 season, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported per sources informed of the situation.

It is now one option on the table if revenue is impacted on league-wide basis due to the novel coronavirus. However, it was not received well, Pelissero reported.

Per Pelissero, NFLPA executive Don Davis told players on a conference call: "Basically, we told them to kick rocks."

The NFLPA's stance is that any escrow deal would need to be collectively bargained.

New Orleans Saints All-Pro wide receiver Michael Thomas appeared to reaffirm Davis' sentiments with a tweet in response to Pelissero that stated: "Lol everyone will sit out and not play until they get their stuff together before we do this."

A day prior, team general managers and coaches were told by the league that, though no decision has been made on how training camps will be structured, the plan going forward was that camps would open as scheduled on July 28.

Currently, there has been no decision as it relates to preseason contests, with the NFLPA voting in favor of no preseason games.

All of the changes are of course due to the ongoing coronvairus pandemic, which has brought about a multitude of new protocols for when players do return to team facilities and team practices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

OH ONLY 35% LESS AND I GET TO WRESTLE WITH DISEASED COLLEAGUES?? SIGN ME UP!

It's good for the Michael Thomas' who have money trees in their backyards. I'd imagine there are some who want to play and then some who have zero idea the long term implications of the league spiraling downward. 35% escrow if there's zero gate attendance isnt completely unreasonable. Schools with massive endowments put employees on furlough and the general public didnt need a fainting couch to cope with it. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, all I can do is just laugh.

If anyone thinks anything good is going to come out of 2020, good on them.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's good for the Michael Thomas' who have money trees in their backyards. I'd imagine there are some who want to play and then some who have zero idea the long term implications of the league spiraling downward. 35% escrow if there's zero gate attendance isnt completely unreasonable. Schools with massive endowments put employees on furlough and the general public didnt need a fainting couch to cope with it. 

Word. I’m just trying to imagine what player would actually trust an owner with 35% of their money in an escrow account that seems at least somewhat contingent on those owners recouping their losses on the year. It seems designed to prepare the players for more brutal cuts ahead

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

At this point, all I can do is just laugh.

If anyone thinks anything good is going to come out of 2020, good on them.

Cooked. Too much resentment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve sort of given up on the season. We’re not handling the first wave so we’ll. Not going to change soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Trolly McTrollface said:

At this point, all I can do is just laugh.

If anyone thinks anything good is going to come out of 2020, good on them.

I'm starting to believe you are right (as far as sports go)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

OH ONLY 35% LESS AND I GET TO WRESTLE WITH DISEASED COLLEAGUES?? SIGN ME UP!

Hmmmmm  But let's be strategic here.   What added perks can management offer for 40%?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the NHLPA has learned, once you set up an escrow system you give the owners carte blanche to eff with your salary. And further players and owners will now never stop talking about escrow. What fun!

As much of a tool as Jamal Adams may be, this obsession over salary caps and suppression of labor costs causes players to view themselves as mercenaries. This has always been a business and it always will be. But the owners do not grasp they are making things worse. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Players are usually tone deaf to the economic environment and impact the Corona virus has on bussinesses. Unfortunately, future revenue will not support these contracts.

Also, eventually you have to account for the impact of the BLM movement on revenue. Expect a lot of fans to be turned off.

  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 6:33 AM, RichardTodd27 said:

Players are usually tone deaf to the economic environment and impact the Corona virus has on bussinesses. Unfortunately, future revenue will not support these contracts.

Also, eventually you have to account for the impact of the BLM movement on revenue. Expect a lot of fans to be turned off.

The BLM movement effect on revenue? GTHOH, seriously

NFL is complete dorkweeds to even ask this. Contracts should be paid as normal unless the player opts out which he probably should have the option to do. NFL does not make much off of ticket sales, they are acting like they will lose 100s of millions when even with no fans it is probably less than $10 million a team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, Bugg said:

As much of a tool as Jamal Adams may be, this obsession over salary caps and suppression of labor costs causes players to view themselves as mercenaries. This has always been a business and it always will be. But the owners do not grasp they are making things worse. 

It's important that the Jets preserve the acres of cap space

not for winning games, but it's important to the Johnsons'

other teams spend long term money to clear up their short term picture

the Jets save short term, middle term, and long term for "a rainy day" 

or that perfect free agent that, don'tcha know it, just never quite hits the market 

 

 

  • Thumb Down 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 9:16 AM, bla bla bla said:

I'll be shocked if there is actually a season.

there's going to be a season

there won't be fans

it will be a war of attrition to see which team can stay healthiest the longest 

without bringing in the replacements 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don’t see how sports will be able to start, finish or whatever until 2021.  The Ivy League has already cancelled their fall sports. I don’t see how big time college football, the NFL, MLB  or any other sport is going to be able to do anything until we get a handle on this despite what the Grand Poobah says.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

there's going to be a season

there won't be fans

it will be a war of attrition to see which team can stay healthiest the longest 

without bringing in the replacements 

Given the Jets track record with injuries and mononucleosis I'm guessing that 75% of the team catches coronavirus the day before the Week 1 game.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Given the Jets track record with injuries and mononucleosis I'm guessing that 75% of the team catches coronavirus the day before the Week 1 game.

Haven't you heard, Mono strikes like lightning, random, and getting it is an act of God

you can be sitting in your home, eating a hungry man meal in a recliner, and boom, Mono.

what about the drinking glasses? The horrible terrible drinking glasses?  

at least, that's what the amateur divorce lawyers / incels who've never had a girlfriend claim 

 

"Yeah, honey? I got mono. Calm down, i want to explain about drinking glasses."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Haven't you heard, Mono strikes like lightning, random, and getting it is an act of God

you can be sitting in your home, eating a hungry man meal in a recliner, and boom, Mono.

what about the drinking glasses? The horrible terrible drinking glasses?  

at least, that's what the amateur divorce lawyers / incels who've never had a girlfriend claim 

 

"Yeah, honey? I got mono. Calm down, i want to explain about drinking glasses."

A girl got pregnant in my high school and tried to explain that it happened because she sat on the bleachers in the gymnasium right after some members of the football team had sat there.  Turns out, it wasn't the bleachers she had been sitting on with some members of the football team.

 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's important that the Jets preserve the acres of cap space

not for winning games, but it's important to the Johnsons'

other teams spend long term money to clear up their short term picture

the Jets save short term, middle term, and long term for "a rainy day" 

or that perfect free agent that, don'tcha know it, just never quite hits the market 

 

 

We are now seeing the Jets and other teams pretending that you get a Lombardi for not spending money. Like any fan should care at all about how much the Johnsons are paying on their half  of the debt service on the AC Unit off Route 3. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bugg said:

We are now seeing the Jets and other teams pretending that you get a Lombardi for not spending money. Like any fan should care at all about how much the Johnsons are paying on their half  of the debt service on the AC Unit off Route 3. 

Jets fans are so proud of all the unused cap space year after year

the carryovers they use to cut people! 

It's all designed to funnel money away from the organization and toward the owners

and don't get me started on the uncapped spend

It's like Idzik, Gase and Bowles weren't hired by accident. These were the only douche-nozzles willing to work for scale. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact that more information is coming out about how this virus attaches itself to the enzymes that surround vital organs through the bloodstream and is causing neurological damage ... The less possibilty of any soft of season for this year and maybe 2021.

This is not the flu.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Jets fans are so proud of all the unused cap space year after year

the carryovers they use to cut people! 

It's all designed to funnel money away from the organization and toward the owners

and don't get me started on the uncapped spend

It's like Idzik, Gase and Bowles weren't hired by accident. These were the only douche-nozzles willing to work for scale. 

 

 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

It's important that the Jets preserve the acres of cap space

not for winning games, but it's important to the Johnsons'

other teams spend long term money to clear up their short term picture

the Jets save short term, middle term, and long term for "a rainy day" 

or that perfect free agent that, don'tcha know it, just never quite hits the market 

 

 

Bit.. it’s getting a little stale, my guy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

The BLM movement effect on revenue? GTHOH, seriously

TV ratings will take a hit from the BLM movement. Count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

TV ratings will take a hit from the BLM movement. Count on it.

Well there may be some idiots that boycott it but opinions are rapidly changing and if it happens the NFL will not miss them and it will have no effect on on ratings or revenue as they will also gain viewers for finally recognizing how idiotic their official stance has been.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL front office is living in a fantasy world...their stance is literally now...”we have no plan but will start July 28th”

🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Bit.. it’s getting a little stale, my guy.

yeah maybe but at least im not 

40 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

TV ratings will take a hit from the BLM movement. Count on it.

This dude

holy crap RT do you want to bet charity of the winner's choice 100 bucks the TV ratings go up because people have nothing else to do 

if so, great

if not, think about the statements you make for half a second before you make them 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

there's going to be a season

there won't be fans

it will be a war of attrition to see which team can stay healthiest the longest 

without bringing in the replacements 

Yea I think best case scenario we get the option for players to opt out and get filled in with replacements. They will go until they are forced to shut down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's important that the Jets preserve the acres of cap space

not for winning games, but it's important to the Johnsons'

other teams spend long term money to clear up their short term picture

the Jets save short term, middle term, and long term for "a rainy day" 

or that perfect free agent that, don'tcha know it, just never quite hits the market 

And you keep posting lies, even after your nonsense was proven wrong.'

You just keep trolling away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Well there may be some idiots that boycott it but opinions are rapidly changing and if it happens the NFL will not miss them and it will have no effect on on ratings or revenue as they will also gain viewers for finally recognizing how idiotic their official stance has been.

This year has been so totally f___ed up anyone that can predict what's next needs to get off this site and head either to a sports book or log on to a brokerage account or buy lottery tickets. I really want to be optimistic,that this will all pass in short order.  But have not a goddamn clue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...