I Love It (Redskins Fans Outrage) - How Would YOU Feel?

On 7/13/2020 at 10:18 AM, slats said:

As I've gotten older, I've dropped just about every sport outside of the Jets and the NFL. A name change, quite honestly, would probably result in another degree of separation between me and whatever they chose to call themselves. I don't think I'd be outraged or anything, just think I'd be like, "ho-hum," and potentially, subtly start to drift away. 

I think this is close to how I see it. I mean what else are we actually rooting for if not a name and color etc?  The players change, the GM's change, the coaches change the stadiums change, the training facilities change. Even the CEO changed for us but the only constant has been the 4 letter word @SAR I screams at the top of his lungs from the Mezzanine level of Met life and the color green. That's it. 

I don't think I would be outraged but it's very different than the reasoning behind the Skins name change so I don't know. But I could see me slipping a little bit further away if it happened. 

I remember a day when I was a die hard Nets (to a lesser degree Knicks)  Yankees, Islanders fan who would watch almost every NASCAR race and attend 2-3 a year.  That all ended right around 2006 and the Jets are essentially all I have in the sports world.  I like the name, colors and chant and I'd really like to see that name get a damned trophy before the change. That is about all. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/13/2020 at 11:34 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Why?  Who would they be booing?  FedEx and Nike?

There will be booing for many reasons.  The networks would not cover the anthem, if you recall. When things go back to normal, there will be 10 times the booing at NFL games

10 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

There will be booing for many reasons.  The networks would not cover the anthem, if you recall. When things go back to normal, there will be 10 times the booing at NFL games

Perhaps.  But people will still watch and go to games (if they're able to).  We know there won't be booing at Eagles home games, that's for sure.

17 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

I think this is close to how I see it. I mean what else are we actually rooting for if not a name and color etc?  The players change, the GM's change, the coaches change the stadiums change, the training facilities change. Even the CEO changed for us but the only constant has been the 4 letter word @SAR I screams at the top of his lungs from the Mezzanine level of Met life and the color green. That's it. 

I don't think I would be outraged but it's very different than the reasoning behind the Skins name change so I don't know. But I could see me slipping a little bit further away if it happened. 

I remember a day when I was a die hard Nets (to a lesser degree Knicks)  Yankees, Islanders fan who would watch almost every NASCAR race and attend 2-3 a year.  That all ended right around 2006 and the Jets are essentially all I have in the sports world.  I like the name, colors and chant and I'd really like to see that name get a damned trophy before the change. That is about all. 

Great post, GB.

For me, it's never been anything the organization, league, or players have done that have made me close to burning out on the Jets.  I can live with bad drafts, bad coaches, holdouts, suspensions, mascots, burping, farting, kneeling, none of that stuff bothers me either individually or cumulatively as I'm all about what happens for 60 minutes on Sunday, the rest is just noise.

For me, it's about the quarterback.  All those decades in the wilderness, looking for a great quarterback, it really frustrated me to the point where I'm still in recovery.  I'm as loyal to the Jets as they come, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay committed to the sport if Darnold busts.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Great post, GB.

For me, it's never been anything the organization, league, or players have done that have made me close to burning out on the Jets.  I can live with bad drafts, bad coaches, holdouts, suspensions, mascots, burping, farting, kneeling, none of that stuff bothers me either individually or cumulatively as I'm all about what happens for 60 minutes on Sunday, the rest is just noise.

For me, it's about the quarterback.  All those decades in the wilderness, looking for a great quarterback, it really frustrated me to the point where I'm still in recovery.  I'm as loyal to the Jets as they come, but I don't know if I'll be able to stay committed to the sport if Darnold busts.

SAR I

There's always Rutgers. They have their sh*t together.?

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, JiF said:

do you fear getting shot at work or school in the USA? ...  Talk about getting caught flat footed.

My wife and I traveled extensively through europe in our first three married years before kids. The first time, we were in Prague - one of the most gorgeous gothic cities in Europe. We already knew that it was a hotbed for neo-communists back in the day and that there are still very radical feelings on both sides embedded into their culture of resistance and refusal, yet, they looked at us as if we were lunatics for living in America. On our second night out, we were asked how many people we knew that were shot. Getting caught flat footed doesn't even begin to describe it. 

In the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and many parts of eastern europe (btw: BudaPest is their crown jewel and is an underrated must see), the American way of life is looked at in the same manner that Americans looked at the Middle East in the early 2000s. I was in ninth grade on 9/11, and throughout high school and college as I followed world events, I always used to wonder why anyone would live where there is so much senseless violence and disregard for human life. Add in the whole healthcare debacle, and it makes perfect sense why all of Europe thinks the same way about Americans.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I don't know if I'll be able to stay committed to the sport if Darnold busts.

I love Darnold. He's the only QB I've ever loved on the Jets (save for Favre ridding us of the worst thing to ever happen to this team in my lifetime). Still, if Darnold doesn't end up being the savior, we need to hope against all hope that Gase fully flames out this year (I mean, he doesn't have much further to go considering his serious suckage to date).

If Gase can pilot the jets into full crash and burn - like a 1 win season, it puts us in great position for Trevor Lawrence and a shiney new head coach to go along with him. I like what I've seen from JD so far, and while none of his picks have even played a down yet, I'm optimistic that he'll be able to lead the way. 

• WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I love Darnold. He's the only QB I've ever loved on the Jets (save for Favre ridding us of the worst thing to ever happen to this team in my lifetime). Still, if Darnold doesn't end up being the savior, we need to hope against all hope that Gase fully flames out this year (I mean, he doesn't have much further to go considering his serious suckage to date).

If Gase can pilot the jets into full crash and burn - like a 1 win season, it puts us in great position for Trevor Lawrence and a shiney new head coach to go along with him. I like what I've seen from JD so far, and while none of his picks have even played a down yet, I'm optimistic that he'll be able to lead the way. 

The combination of Brady leaving, Christopher Johnson being a beast, and Darnold emerging is what has me excited about the Jets again. 

Those 20 years of Patriots pounding, Jets teasing, and Jets rebuilding took its toll.  As a season ticket holder, it has been a struggle to get my family to go to games with me these past 8 years, even harder when I go it alone and leave them all at home, they question my priorities, so more often than not I'm at a game and I'm not happy.  That changed last season.  I'm very excited now.

SAR I

1 hour ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is why we deserve to keep losing, fans like this.

How would I feel? Well, fortunately I don't become emotionally attached to trends, names of objects, candidates, or narratives. So it wouldn't really bother me. It's only a matter of time before the Jets become associated with war and greenhouse gasses because a small random vocal group of useless people get bored and needs to feel valued so it hits twitter which basically runs the news cycle these days.

• Upvote 1

It's about the game.  If you love it, it doesn't matter what they call the teams or the colors.  I've been less engaged in the game because the rule changes and the inconsistency of the refs interpretation of the rules seems to be having more of an impact on the results.  It's also slowing the game down and having an impact on momentum.  It's much more apparent live than on TV.  

If they change the name of the teams and the game is great and based on the competition I could care less.  If they keep changing for marketing reasons and the game deteriorates and I'm less interested.

As a Jets fan and not having a rooting interest in the playoffs I recognize that I still watch and love the playoff games.  Why, the level of play is better, the intensity is better, the competitive juices are flowing for the players.  It's not the team you root for it's the game.  Having a team to root for and follow is the icing on the cake.

• Upvote 1

I would be indifferent about a name change.

A bigger question what would I do if they moved? I don’t even live in the NYC metro any more. So my only connection to the team is that they represent my home town. I think even if they moved, I’d still support them. Otherwise, I’d just be a generic fan and just watch the players I enjoy watching the most.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GreenFish said:

I would be indifferent about a name change.

A bigger question what would I do if they moved? I don’t even live in the NYC metro any more. So my only connection to the team is that they represent my home town. I think even if they moved, I’d still support them. Otherwise, I’d just be a generic fan and just watch the players I enjoy watching the most.

I grew up in NY so I'm used to rooting for my hometown team that plays in another state already. The only problem with a name change would be if the new name sucked, for instance: The London Hobbits

• Upvote 1

On 7/13/2020 at 7:15 PM, DetroitRed said:

Going to a lot of booing when they let the fans back

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Doubt it.

Fans have short memories and love to cheer.  Its what we do.  

They came back and cheered after strikes

They came back and cheered after lockouts

They came back and cheered after scab games.

15 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Please elaborate why I'm the poster child for why you deserve to be a loser.

It's shocking how your alternative account is always there to like your dumb posts.

You are a loser and fans like you embarrass our good fans.  The good fans deserve a winner, you do not.

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, GREENBEAN said:

I only follow the Jets and golf, and watch some snooker and pool on Youtube. Gave up baseball in 1996, Last baseball game I saw was when Barry Bonds hit 755, and I never really liked Hockey or Basketball so could care less about them. I think maybe I am still so into the Jets is because its really the only thing left.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

My wife and I traveled extensively through europe in our first three married years before kids. The first time, we were in Prague - one of the most gorgeous gothic cities in Europe. We already knew that it was a hotbed for neo-communists back in the day and that there are still very radical feelings on both sides embedded into their culture of resistance and refusal, yet, they looked at us as if we were lunatics for living in America. On our second night out, we were asked how many people we knew that were shot. Getting caught flat footed doesn't even begin to describe it. 

In the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and many parts of eastern europe (btw: BudaPest is their crown jewel and is an underrated must see), the American way of life is looked at in the same manner that Americans looked at the Middle East in the early 2000s. I was in ninth grade on 9/11, and throughout high school and college as I followed world events, I always used to wonder why anyone would live where there is so much senseless violence and disregard for human life. Add in the whole healthcare debacle, and it makes perfect sense why all of Europe thinks the same way about Americans.  

Sounds like your wife and you are pretty privileged to have traveled extensively through europe after college. A lifestyle most people in this world can only dream of. What did you answer after being asked how many people you personally knew who have gotten shot? One? Five? Twenty? Do you honestly know anyone who has been shot?  America sucks ............right and despite that you both came home from your post USA University education euro jaunt in spite of your enlightenment from euro intellectuals. And literally hundreds of thousands desire to come here and live here every year for economic and educational opportunities not found in their own countries. Italy? Healthcare? Check the covid death stats and let me know how well that free (2 tiered one for rich another forr not so rich) system helped them. I have lots of family in Italy. A good portion of middle age men are living with their mothers because of chronic rampant unemployment so they keep going back to school because its largely free and helps them feel productive. My successful italian relatives came here for the chance of a better life and it worked very very well.

Fun fact. senseless violence and disregard for human life is not solely an American problem. it is a human condition seen world wide. Catholics V Protestants UK remember the bombs?, Genocide in Africa, middle east Jews V palestinians Muslims V other muslim sects, Asia ? You want N. Koreas recent history or Myanmars recent treatment of muslims in the north or Chinas infanticide and burial of the covid facts?? Frances treatment of Muslims kept in slums without the benefit of the social programs afforded other french? I will stop there because I can go on for quite a while. 

My message to you is stop the self hate you are clinging to and try seeing the world view without your anti american bias glasses on.

34 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Sounds like your wife and you are pretty privileged to have traveled extensively through europe after college. A lifestyle most people in this world can only dream of. What did you answer after being asked how many people you personally knew who have gotten shot? One? Five? Twenty? Do you honestly know anyone who has been shot?  America sucks ............right and despite that you both came home from your post USA University education euro jaunt in spite of your enlightenment from euro intellectuals. And literally hundreds of thousands desire to come here and live here every year for economic and educational opportunities not found in their own countries. Italy? Healthcare? Check the covid death stats and let me know how well that free (2 tiered one for rich another forr not so rich) system helped them. I have lots of family in Italy. A good portion of middle age men are living with their mothers because of chronic rampant unemployment so they keep going back to school because its largely free and helps them feel productive. My successful italian relatives came here for the chance of a better life and it worked very very well.

Fun fact. senseless violence and disregard for human life is not solely an American problem. it is a human condition seen world wide. Catholics V Protestants UK remember the bombs?, Genocide in Africa, middle east Jews V palestinians Muslims V other muslim sects, Asia ? You want N. Koreas recent history or Myanmars recent treatment of muslims in the north or Chinas infanticide and burial of the covid facts?? Frances treatment of Muslims kept in slums without the benefit of the social programs afforded other french? I will stop there because I can go on for quite a while. 

My message to you is stop the self hate you are clinging to and try seeing the world view without your anti american bias glasses on.

You do realize its possible for America to be the BEST country but still not be a GREAT country, right?

Is it such a bad thing to want the country we live in to do better?  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You do realize its possible for America to be the BEST country but still not be a GREAT country, right?

In terms of overall issues and factoring it’s size and diversity it’s the most unique country in the world. Obviously there’s no panacea, but things are overall pretty good here, considering everything. The constitution is a pretty stable document and has done pretty well.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

In terms of overall issues and factoring it’s size and diversity it’s the most unique country in the world. Obviously there’s no panacea, but things are overall pretty good here, considering everything. The constitution is a pretty stable document and has done pretty well.

Right.  The question I posed above reflects my views:  America is the BEST country, but not a great one.  We suck the least. 

Attempting to look at this country's problems in an objective way and admitting we have serious issues is seen as a weakness by many.  I would consider that a strength.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right.  The question I posed above reflects my views:  America is the BEST country, but not a great one.  We suck the least. 

Looking at this country's problems in an objective way and admitting we have serious issues is seen as a weakness by many.  I would consider that a strength.

For sure

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

What is "jingoism"?

I'll take Political Philosophy for $1,000, Alex.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Attempting to look at this country's problems in an objective way and admitting we have serious issues is seen as a weakness by many.  I would consider that a strength.

The definition of great is  considerably above the normal or average. So I guess it is great.B)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What is "jingoism"?

I'll take Political Philosophy for $1,000, Alex.

Took the easy way out on that one I see throwing out the trope / slur instead of taking what I said objectively, analytically and answering what I had to say with facts and personal experiences. Jingoism, extreme nationalism and patriotism while turning a blind eye to any problems and shortcomings in our society is not who I am. Nowhere in my statement did I indicate that I am blind to our systemic problems. Personally my approach to making change was after coming home from Viet Nam I chose a career (via GI bill) in health care, became a registered nurse worked continually in under served areas in NYC metro area emergency rooms. I later on added to my credentials becoming a nurse practitioner still in ERs and lastly in 2014 an MSW degree again to serve those who are under represented and need the help of others who are more fortunate. 

Again, you want to call me a jingoist and thats fine you can do that easy as it may be without really knowing who me and my wife are and what we do daily to try and make other peoples lives better. I dont sit behind a keyboard virtue signalling and engaging in tribalism like many of the twitterverse and FB crowd. In our small way  we go out and try to make change for the better whether that be at our jobs or volunteering at a soup kitchen  twice a month or visiting  with VA nursing home residents. Yes, inspite of all the flaws and inspite of being sent to asia for an illegitimate war and having a cancerous kidney removed from agent orange exposure and having my chinese wife and mixed race son treated horribly  by bigoted mouth breathing morons I will still say wholehearedly I am proud of who I am what I do and where I live.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's very probably that the one thing both Conservative and liberals agree on is America isn't the best country anymore.   Liberals clearly see European Democrocy as better and the Republican standard barrier ran on The slogan "Make America Great Again".  Implied in the words great again is America isn't currently great.  Great is in the rear view mirror.  

Pretty clear that most Americans view the country as formally great.  It's also clear that many of the countries that normally look toward us for leadership see us as a failing state.

The WW2 generation is mostly dead.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

330 million people, look at the populations of other countries, smaller easier to control stricter etc. etc. China/India garbage. Sure there is always room for improvement, so organize and vote. Greatest country on the planet, with endless factions. People need to learn some pride ,respect and discipline. They are all out with their grievances but they take that almighty dollar hhm no problem there, and leave their community behind, sad.

You should have put in your grievance in men.

200.gif

55 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Took the easy way out on that one I see

I gave the post as much attention and thought as it warranted.  

You'll forgive me if I simply don't waste both our time commenting on the rest of this new post, which basically boils down to being a not-so-humblebrag about how great and hardworking and selfless you are.  Great, good for you.