Bad news supposedly coming out of Washington eventually

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I didn't even discuss cheerleading as a profession.  I discussed their value to an NFL football team winning football games and the risk/benefit of having them.  Keep sending up that virtue signal though.  Somebody might respond.

Should have been another thread then, as it does not relate to this story, based on what we have seen.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Should have been another thread then, as it does not relate to this story, based on what we have seen.

You're probably right.  Well, water under the bridge...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Edmonton Eskimos are no more. 2020 is on fire. Naughty words have to go.

buffalo-bill-et-sitting-bull-deux-legend

Buffalo Bill killed 4,300 endangered bison in a single year, and bounty hunted, murdered and exploited Native Americans.

How the Bills aren’t reconsidering their nickname is quite a mystery.  

SAR I 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Buffalo Bill killed 4,300 endangered bison in a single year, and bounty hunted, murdered and exploited Native Americans.

SAR I 

I have to wonder if it's going to stop with Edmonton or if more name changes are coming.  The article below says “The nail in the coffin was when the Washington Redskins came out and retired their name and logo this week".  Is some other sports team going to use Edmonton's name change as the impetus for them to change their team name?  

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/reports-say-eskimos-ready-to-announce-name-change

image.png.0768d31a578f902358983800fdefe02d.png

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I 

Mayflower moving company...cancelled.

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I have to wonder if it's going to stop with Edmonton or if more name changes are coming.  The article below says “The nail in the coffin was when the Washington Redskins came out and retired their name and logo this week".  Is some other sports team going to use Edmonton's name change as the impetus for them to change their team name? 

Yes, the Los Angeles Lakers are changing their name to the Los Angeles Coastal Deserts following truth-in-advertising guidelines.

Whether it makes financial or social sense to have an NFL cheering squad is beside the point.  If you _do_ choose to have one, and it turns out you're letting it turn into a travelling strip show for wealthy supporters, the NFL should get rid of you if they want to continue to push the image of football being a game for the whole family to enjoy.

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Do women have to stand up for themselves more?  Yes.  Is it fair?  No.  Is the world fair?  No.  But where this PC world fails individuals MISERABLY is in its desire to subjugate individuals power, the very power they need to empower themselves......getting individuals to turn to a higher authority every time they need help (example: government, church, teachers, etc), they lose the very thing which is most important to their well-being: their esteem and worth to themselves.  

It's a lot easier to stand up for your rights by yourself if you don't have a kid at home depending on you to remain employed.

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

For this franchise, the headline works. At any particular time.

I have always believed that there should be a generic thread title called "Now What?"  pinned to the top of the board.  @Maxman

It's what we all come here for in some demented way, amirite?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

It's a lot easier to stand up for your rights by yourself if you don't have a kid at home depending on you to remain employed.

You're right, it is.  So what's your point?  That when you have dependents, you shouldn't stand up for what you believe because life got too hard?  Perhaps you should re-read my post and think about it.  

On 7/17/2020 at 11:30 AM, CanadaSteve said:

Do women have to stand up for themselves more?  Yes.  Is it fair?  No.  Is the world fair?  No.  But where this PC world fails individuals MISERABLY is in its desire to subjugate individuals power, the very power they need to empower themselves. 

On 7/18/2020 at 4:03 AM, kelticwizard said:

16 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

You're right, it is.  So what's your point?  That when you have dependents, you shouldn't stand up for what you believe because life got too hard?  Perhaps you should re-read my post and think about it. 

I re-read your post and it still sounds like an attempt to seem high-minded while screwing the little guy.  We have laws that limit what the boss can tell you to do because we know that people can allow themselves to be pressured unfairly, and it goes against our ideas of decency.  Your answer that the cheerleaders in question could just quit on the spot when told that they were expected to strip for wealthy Redskin supporters in a foreign country AFTER the club took the women's passports away is straight out of the 18th Century.  Employers do not and should not be allowed to force people to undergo this at the risk of losing their job.

Besides, the public has the right to know if their local NFL team is operating a travelling band of sex workers who dance on the field during halftime and on the sideline during breaks.

21 minutes ago, kelticwizard said:

I re-read your post and it still sounds like an attempt to seem high-minded while screwing the little guy.  We have laws that limit what the boss can tell you to do because we know that people can allow themselves to be pressured unfairly, and it goes against our ideas of decency.  Your answer that the cheerleaders in question could just quit on the spot when told that they were expected to strip for wealthy Redskin supporters in a foreign country AFTER the club took the women's passports away is straight out of the 18th Century.  Employers do not and should not be allowed to force people to undergo this at the risk of losing their job.

Besides, the public has the right to know if their local NFL team is operating a travelling band of sex workers who dance on the field during halftime and on the sideline during breaks.

I didn't recall much of what you said here so just checked it out.  If it's legit, I hope they got a huge cash payment.  The way the passport thing was described is a bit odd.  It said passports were taken upon arrival at the resort.  While rare, it's not unheard of for some places to take your passport to allow for check in to a hotel/resort.

It happened to me in Morocco once and I was pissed.  Dude behind the counter said he would only give me my room key if I gave him my passport.  It was late at night in a sh*tty part of town and I was with my wife. I was in no position to go out walking the streets of Marrakesh to find another hotel.  Begrudgingly gave him my passport which he returned to me in the morning.

39 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I didn't recall much of what you said here so just checked it out.  If it's legit, I hope they got a huge cash payment.  The way the passport thing was described is a bit odd.  It said passports were taken upon arrival at the resort.  While rare, it's not unheard of for some places to take your passport to allow for check in to a hotel/resort.

It happened to me in Morocco once and I was pissed.  Dude behind the counter said he would only give me my room key if I gave him my passport.  It was late at night in a sh*tty part of town and I was with my wife. I was in no position to go out walking the streets of Marrakesh to find another hotel.  Begrudgingly gave him my passport which he returned to me in the morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html

It's a dangerously thin line, because of what the nature of cheerleaders do and how they demonstrate at sporting events. There is something of an implied expectation there. That does not mean the line should be hugged.

BUT, I would say the Redskins crossed the line. What you would hope that their superiors would stress would be safety, would be not doing anything that you are not uncomfortable with, not being suggestive with any one at any time. The direction they seemed to be given was exact opposite. 

Do I think the Redskins are alone in this? I do not. But, I do think that the Redskins may have taken this culture to every part of their organization, based upon the most recent allegations. Your culture is what your highest level superior and direct report portrays, and in many instances with the Redskins, those were bad apples. Daniel Snyder? There appears to be smoke there too.

What I have said many times in this thread though, is that these most recent allegations all appear to be outside of the cheerleader realm. They are full-time employees in the office setting. That means the organization itself may be rife with a boys club mentality.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/sports/redskins-cheerleaders-nfl.html

It's a dangerously thin line, because of what the nature of cheerleaders do and how they demonstrate at sporting events. There is something of an implied expectation there. That does not mean the line should be hugged.

BUT, I would say the Redskins crossed the line. What you would hope that their superiors would stress would be safety, would be not doing anything that you are not uncomfortable with, not being suggestive with any one at any time. The direction they seemed to be given was exact opposite. 

Do I think the Redskins are alone in this? I do not. But, I do think that the Redskins may have taken this culture to every part of their organization, based upon the most recent allegations. Your culture is what your highest level superior and direct report portrays, and in many instances with the Redskins, those were bad apples. Daniel Snyder? There appears to be smoke there too.

What I have said many times in this thread though, is that these most recent allegations all appear to be outside of the cheerleader realm. They are full-time employees in the office setting. That means the organization itself may be rife with a boys club mentality.

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, the Redskins are in the wrong here.  They should be punished for it and it appears they will be.

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2020 at 9:17 PM, SAR I said:

SAR I 

The "Puts the lotion in the basket" and slicing the chubby girls up and knitting them into an outfit should have been the end. Would not prevent drunk Bufflalonians from jumping off cars into tables either way. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The best thing about these various Washington TEam threads of late is they've shone some light into who some of our posters really are.  Very insightful in some cases.

Indeed.  Now aware of some folks who are averse to historical facts and have much thinner skin than I would have imagined.  Imagine engaging in a discussion in which you have the power to have your say and then lock a thread to prevent a rebuttal, all while claiming to speak up on behalf of marginalized people?  Micro level as it may be....oh, the irony.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Indeed.  Now aware of some folks who are averse to historical facts and have much thinner skin than I would have imagined.  Imagine engaging in a discussion in which you have the power to have your say and then lock a thread to prevent a rebuttal, all while claiming to speak up on behalf of marginalized people?  Micro level as it may be....oh, the irony.

The response immediately followed by lock approach I do not particularly like.  If it's headed for a lock, then the locking mod should leave his opinion out or leave it open. JMO.

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The response immediately followed by lock approach I do not particularly like.  If it's headed for a lock, then the locking mod should leave his opinion out or leave it open. JMO.

Agreed.  I get that it's just a message board and we're kicking around some ideas, but if we're engaging in a somewhat serious discussion, mods shouldn't use their ability to lock threads as a tool to silence somebody who disagrees with them.  

Anyway, Washington will have a new name and we can all move on...until somebody is offended.

Edited by AFJF