Bad news supposedly coming out of Washington eventually

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Agreed.  I get that it's just a message board and we're kicking around some ideas, but if we're engaging in a somewhat serious discussion, mods shouldn't use their ability to lock threads as a tool to silence somebody who disagrees with them.  

Anyway, Washington will have a new name and we can all move on...until somebody is offended.

You have to change Washington as well he was a slave owner..:chas:

• Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Indeed.  Now aware of some folks who are averse to historical facts and have much thinner skin than I would have imagined.  Imagine engaging in a discussion in which you have the power to have your say and then lock a thread to prevent a rebuttal, all while claiming to speak up on behalf of marginalized people?  Micro level as it may be....oh, the irony.

FYI: I was responding in your other thread when another mod locked it. I would never do what you're not-so-subtly accusing me of here. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

FYI: I was responding in your other thread when another mod locked it. I would never do what you're not-so-subtly accusing me of here. 

I went in to the thread to read it.  It was locked.  Several minutes later I saw you had replied.  I went in to see what you'd written so I could reply.  It was locked again.  

Getting back on track, I love the story about the guy who trademarked 40 different possible new names that Snyder may have chosen.  He claimed it was to "make it easier" for the franchise because he would help.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I went in to the thread to read it.  It was locked.  Several minutes later I saw you had replied.  I went in to see what you'd written so I could reply.  It was locked again.  

Well I'm telling you straight up that I didn't lock it. 

I just unlocked it. 

Gonna put on some sunscreen, come back and lock that thread, and then head to the beach. 

Please add your contribution. You have a little time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, slats said:

I just unlocked it. 

Gonna put on some sunscreen, come back and lock that thread, and then head to the beach. 

"You have little time". 

Don't hurt yourself climbing off that high horse.

I'm good, thanks.

Just now, AFJF said:

"You have little time". 

Don't hurt yourself climbing off that high horse.

I'm good, thanks.

That's true. A proper white-washing takes years. Thanks for your contribution. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So, if the Washington NFL football team played the New York Football NFL football team of the AFC this year, and there was not a pandemic raging, and we would have 100% attendance played on a neutral field with no name give, who do you think would win?

And by football, I mean not soccer.

New York team in a blowout.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, slats said:

I just unlocked it. 

That’s it pal you’ve been warned 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Savage69 said:

You have to change Washington as well he was a slave owner..:chas:

Probably not.  Washington put it in his will that his slaves were to be freed right after his wife Martha passed away.  Martha decided to let them go before she died.  Washington was held in such esteem in this country that everything he did was considered to be the rule from then on.  The two terms for a president rule only became law in the 1960s-for almost 200 years it was observed only because George Washington set the example.

Washington might have been a slave owner, but he used his enormous prestige to try to make slavery fade away in the next generation or two.  (I think this counts as history and not politics).

• Upvote 3

On 7/17/2020 at 7:17 PM, SAR I said:

buffalo-bill-et-sitting-bull-deux-legend

Buffalo Bill killed 4,300 endangered bison in a single year, and bounty hunted, murdered and exploited Native Americans.

How the Bills aren’t reconsidering their nickname is quite a mystery.  

SAR I 

Wouldn’t the name Bill mock him the same way the name Redskins mocks Native Americans?

On 7/17/2020 at 6:17 PM, SAR I said:

buffalo-bill-et-sitting-bull-deux-legend

Buffalo Bill killed 4,300 endangered bison in a single year, and bounty hunted, murdered and exploited Native Americans.

How the Bills aren’t reconsidering their nickname is quite a mystery.  

SAR I 

The Buffalo Williams isn't racist.

On 7/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, kelticwizard said:

I re-read your post and it still sounds like an attempt to seem high-minded while screwing the little guy.  We have laws that limit what the boss can tell you to do because we know that people can allow themselves to be pressured unfairly, and it goes against our ideas of decency.  Your answer that the cheerleaders in question could just quit on the spot when told that they were expected to strip for wealthy Redskin supporters in a foreign country AFTER the club took the women's passports away is straight out of the 18th Century.  Employers do not and should not be allowed to force people to undergo this at the risk of losing their job.

Besides, the public has the right to know if their local NFL team is operating a travelling band of sex workers who dance on the field during halftime and on the sideline during breaks.

What you might call high minded I call critical thinking.    

I am not saying an employer ought to do something like that.  Organizations like that should be punished.

But the people that should be leading the charge in anything are the ones who have been victimized.  

Here's a personal example: If my daughter had been one of the cheerleaders, I would have said to her "What are you gonna do about it?" Then, after she tells me what she is gonna do about it, I would ask "Do you need my help?"  I am raising a daughter not to need a man's help.  There if she asks at all times, but I do not presume because she is a woman that she needs it.  That would be sexist (in my old-school understanding on how I was taught about (and by) strong women).

I have NO idea what these women did or said.  If they stood up, I applaud them.  I do my part by NOT being a human being like that.  I also do my part by encouraging people, when they face adversity and injustice, to stand up to it and walk beside them if they ask for my help.  

If that is what you consider an attempt to seem high-minded while screwing the little guy, so be it.  But be clear in understanding I am one of the little guy's, and won't stand for being screwed myself.  The only way it can be until there is a gigantic alteration in collective mindset.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Did this supposedly bad news coming out of Washington ever get announced? 

SAR I

They’re waiting on the depositions from the three minority owners suing Snyder to get out of owning an NFL team before said news actually comes out.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Savage69 said:

I was thinking Warfish since you have been the champion of hurtful sounding names....

Have I?  The only name I've objected to was Redskins.

It's you slippery slope folks who seem to think every name now needs changed.

....maybe it's time to take War out of your board name since War has a bad sound to it.. How about WokeFish or CuddleFish??B)

Hmmm.  Yeah, nope.