Dan Patrick:Big 10 cancels Football season

GreekJet

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Remember how everyone thought the Jamal Adams HAUL was awesome?

now ask yourself, what's the value of a first round pick when there's no CFB season for these players to develop? 

this is why all the teams (except NYJ) have been paying their stars - guys like CmC, Mahomes, Henry, Garrett... partly to fit in the contracts up front so when the cap reduces slightly they can keep their stars and partly because draft picks without a CFB season aren't worth what they would be in a normal year (or two) and the next few seasons will favor veterans for this reason

or to put it another way for all the mouth breathers out there 

Joe Burrow was a 3rd round pick at this point in the process last season

Cam Newton wasn't in the top 500 players at this point in the process in 2010

Props for spinning this into some solid jest bashing 

I like your style

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

and I'm the way the Jets made me. I expect this season to be an abomination like the last 10

You got it all wrong bro. Jets provide singular excitement via the draft. Other than a few teams, no organization has had such highly-anticipated drafts as the Abominable Jets these past 5-10 years. Who cares about the in-season results when we get all hyped up for the draft every year 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I remember people saying the same thing about the NBA, NHL and MLB. 

The NBA and NHL did it right by going with the bubble approach.

As for the MLB, they opted for a 60-game schedule (already a laughable concept), and now the Marlins and Cardinals are going to end up playing, what, 40 of those games, at most?  It's a complete joke.  Exhibition baseball.  And only NOW are they discussing a bubble for the playoffs.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:01 AM, bitonti said:

its realism

from 2019 going back to the 50's the draft was based on a college football season

a 2020 draft pick is incomplete slightly because of a lack of pro days

a 2021 draft pick is going to be based on what exactly? 2 year old film? prep stuff? no games, no pro days etc 

where are these players going to be working out? IMG Academy and EXOS only gets you through the first round 

and if 5 star Prep stuff worked for the NFL draft Joe McKnight would have been Gayle Sayers

and I'm the way the Jets made me. I expect this season to be an abomination like the last 10

the real question i have is how can any of you numbnuts still have hope 

Remember when Mac drafted Polite based on his college football tape and ignored his interviews at the combine when he showed up with his dick hanging out of his pants?  Good times.

I'm sure Douglas will get the VIN numbers of players his interested in and get a Carfax before the draft.

28 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is 100% the thing that makes the most sense and I hope it happens. If there was any way for them to start the season in some sort of bubble-esque settling right after finals that's honestly the way to go. NFL delays the draft to June or something and then they are good to go. Boom, problems solved.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woah, Jim Harbaugh's impassioned speech and Ryan Daly's influence didn't change their minds???  What a stupid conference!  Play football no matter what!

I wonder how Justin Fields is feeling about that transfer to Ohio State right about now.  He could have stayed at UGA and likely had a 2020 season, or at least part of one.  My luck, NCAA will grant him a waiver and he will transfer to Florida next week.

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I wonder how Justin Fields is feeling abou that transfer to Ohio State right about now.  He could have stayed at UGA and likely had a 2020 season, or at least part of one.  My luck, NCAA will grant him a waiver and he will transfer to Florida next week.

If the Big 10 and Pac-12 opt to try to push football to spring, I see no reason why the SEC, ACC and Big 12 should hold firm on fall football.  Why not just join the other leagues in the spring and try to have a legitimate season rather than a partial one with zero non-conference games?

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If the Big 10 and Pac-12 opt to try to push football to spring, I see no reason why the SEC, ACC and Big 12 should hold firm on fall football.  Why not just join the other leagues in the spring and try to have a legitimate season rather than a partial one with zero non-conference games?

Nick Saban doesn't want to play ranked teams every single week. Nobody does. Spring season has been the best solution all along and it was obvious months ago. Saves all the bowls, keeps enrollments and revenue steady, gives the players some peace, and eliminates all the uncertainty around what the consequences might be from holiday travel this year. It's a win for everyone.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

Nick Saban doesn't want to play ranked teams every single week. Nobody does. Spring season has been the best solution all along and it was obvious months ago. Saves all the bowls, keeps enrollments steady, gives the players some peace, and eliminates all the uncertainty around what are the consequences going to be from holiday travel this year. 

Right but the best solution to that is allowing for non-conference play, not a pure SEC schedule.  Alabama gets to beat up on the Kent State's and and Western Carolina's of the world early in the season and on their SEC bye weeks.  Those schools get to fund their athletic programs for the year.  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Right but the best solution to that is allowing for non-conference play, not a pure SEC schedule.  Alabama gets to beat up on the Kent State's and and Western Carolina's of the world early in the season and on their SEC bye weeks.  Those schools get to fund their athletic programs for the year.  

That's literally why I just said that. 

49 minutes ago, Lith said:

This is interesting...

wonder if the other major conferences follow them down this path.  

I saw something where Saban was very outspoken vs. not cancelling the season and he made some great points.  I'll have to find the article.

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I wonder how Justin Fields is feeling about that transfer to Ohio State right about now.  He could have stayed at UGA and likely had a 2020 season, or at least part of one.  My luck, NCAA will grant him a waiver and he will transfer to Florida next week.

Your lips to gods ears.

lol

Here is Saban's take.  And not to make this a covid conversation but he makes some really good points, IMO;

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2020/08/10/nick-saban-offers-opinion-on-potentially-cancelling-2020-cfb-season/

Nick Saban offers opinion on potentially canceling 2020 CFB season

AJ Spurr 
August 10, 2020 2:37 pm
Alabama football head coach Nick Saban joined his players and spoke out in support of having a 2020 college football season.

Amid the rumors and reports about the season potentially being canceled, or a drastic change in the Power Five landscape for the upcoming season due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, Saban has spoken out.

ESPN Senior Writer Chris Low reported on what the coach said to ESPN.

“I want to play, but I want to play for the players’ sake, the value they can create for themselves,” Saban told ESPN. “I know I’ll be criticized no matter what I say, that I don’t care about player safety. Look, players are a lot safer with us than they are running around at home. We have around a 2 percent positive ratio on our team since the Fourth of the July. It’s a lot higher than that in society. We act like these guys can’t get this unless they play football. They can get it anywhere, whether they’re in a bar or just hanging out.”

His argument is similar to those of college football players promoting the #WeWantToPlay movement. He claims that the players are safer under the care and supervision of the respective collegiate program.

If the statistics weren’t enough, the six-time national champion head coach raises a question that undermines the argument to cancel the 2020 college football season.

“We also test anybody that has symptoms and have an open testing site where they can go and get tested as many times as they want or any time they feel like they need to,” Saban said. “But our guys aren’t going to catch (the virus) on the football field. They’re going to catch it on campus. The argument then should probably be, ‘We shouldn’t be having school.’ That’s the argument. Why is it, ‘We shouldn’t be playing football?’ Why has that become the argument?”

Saban wasn’t alone in sharing his thoughts with ESPN. senior running back Najee Harris and senior offensive lineman Alex Leatherwood spoke on the topic as well.

Harris commends his head coach for how he’s reacted internally to the whirlwind of reports.

“Coach Saban listens to his players and wants to hear from us first,” Alabama senior running back Najee Harris told ESPN. “He told us that none of this is about him, but it’s about us. He wants to hear our concerns, and we made it clear that we want to play and feel like Alabama is doing everything they can to make sure we can play safely.”

Leatherwood offers criticism toward the media coverage. Claiming only the negative side is being portrayed.

“There’s a lot of noise and bad stuff out there about playing football with the virus going on, but I haven’t really seen anything about what the players want,” Leatherwood told ESPN. “We’ve been grinding all summer, and you don’t want it to be all for nothing.

Roll Tide Wire will keep you updated on Alabama football and any college football or SEC news that becomes available.

Just now, JiF said:

This is interesting...

wonder if the other major conferences follow them down this path.  

I saw something where Saban was very outspoken vs. not cancelling the season and he made some great points.  I'll have to find the article.

If the other conferences play, what exactly are they playing for?   Are you going to have a legit National Champion?   At this point it’s done.   I doubt anything really changes in the spring, at least by the time they would have to start the season.   

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

If the other conferences play, what exactly are they playing for?   Are you going to have a legit National Champion?   At this point it’s done.   I doubt anything really changes in the spring, at least by the time they would have to start the season.   

Right.  I have no clue how they'd work out the playoff system.

If only like, College Football had a president or something that like oversaw all the leagues and what not but that would make too much sense.

25 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I have no idea at this point what the other onferences will do.  Maybe they follow the Big 10; maybe not.

I am not optimistic that Spring College Football will work without watering down the product.  What would happen to the Combine, pro days, Shrine/Sr Bowl Games, etc.  I can see a lot of guys opting out of the season to prepare for the draft, assuming these events take place as they have in the past.  Even if the NFL moves the draft back a month or two, spring is still the time of year that kids are preparing for the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I have no idea at this point what the other onferences will do.  Maybe they follow the Big 10; maybe not.

I am not optimistic that Spring College Football will work without watering down the product.  What would happen to the Combine, pro days, Shrine/Sr Bowl Games, etc.  I can see a lot of guys opting out of the season to prepare for the draft, assuming these events take place as they have in the past.  Even if the NFL moves the draft back a month or two, spring is still the time of year that kids are preparing for the draft.

Completely legitimate concerns.  And once the spring football season is over, what next?  Would it be possible to play ball in Fall of 2021, when the spring season just ended 3 months earlier?  Way more questions than answers right now.

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.   Plus, what do you do with all of the early enrollees for the incoming recruiting class?   Are they now allowed to play?  Will scholarship limits be increased?   If guys opt out can they get another year of eligibility?   

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

There’s a lot of noise and bad stuff out there about playing football with the virus going on, but I haven’t really seen anything about what the players want,” Leatherwood told ESPN. “We’ve been grinding all summer, and you don’t want it to be all for nothing.

Will score a 5 on the Wonderlic

The PAC-12 is the next domino to fall, as expected.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29640603/sources-pac-12-calls-fall-sports-eyes-spring

Sources: Pac-12 calls off fall sports, eyes spring

4:05 PM ET
  • ESPN

The Pac-12 CEO group voted Tuesday to cancel fall sports and will look at options to play in the spring, sources told ESPN.

Stadium first reported the news.

The conference has a webinar scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET to discuss the decision that will include conference commissioner Larry Scott, CEO group chair and Oregon president Michael Schill, Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson and Oregon State senior associate athletic director for sports medicine Dr. Doug Aukerman.

Last month, in the wake of the same decision from the Big Ten, the Pac-12 announced it would proceed with a conference-only football schedule to begin Sept. 26. The Pac-12's decision to cancel the fall schedule Tuesday again follows the same decision from the Big Ten, which announced that it would cancel fall sports about an hour into the Pac-12's CEO group meeting.

The CEO group is made up of a chancellor or president from each of the conference's 12 universities and is the ultimate decision-maker for the Pac-12.

There will be no meaningful amateur sports till COVID has a  vaccine.  What the "players want" is irrelevant.  What the "coaches want" is irrelevant.  What the "fans want" is irrelevant.  What "the boosters" want even is irrelevant.

Only two opinions matter:  University Lawyers and University Presidents/Administrators, and how they view the risk and potential liability.

Be assured, the world will keep spinning (as will the NFL) without one year of college football.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The NBA and NHL did it right by going with the bubble approach.

As for the MLB, they opted for a 60-game schedule (already a laughable concept), and now the Marlins and Cardinals are going to end up playing, what, 40 of those games, at most?  It's a complete joke.  Exhibition baseball.  And only NOW are they discussing a bubble for the playoffs.

Marlin's and cards are only a few games behind everyone and are ahead scheduled to make up the games via double-headers. 

But yeah, they should have gone straight to the bubble and the NFL should follow suit. You can't trust these players to do the right thing. There are just too many players and variables.