Darnold positives from Sunday

Y3k

2 hours ago, Y3k said:

Yes there were positives, quite a few actually. I’ve rewatched every play like 10 times now, here are some positive observations:

- He looks bigger and stronger, maybe even a bit taller

- He was awesome in the pocket, even on bad throws/plays. The “pocket” was very chaotic all day. He stood in there, eyes down field. Did a great job of moving in the pocket and/or finding lanes to scramble and create time to throw.

- The second drop by Crowder in the first quarter is maybe the most impressive pocket throw Darnold has ever made. Watch it again closely if you can. 

- Bounces back from the pick with a great throw to Le’Veon and a nice 2 min drive to get points 

- His release is absurd. It’s incredible how he took this loopy throwing motion and now has probably the tightest release in the NFL. People love to trash his “mechanics” but his throwing mechanics are good. It’s his footwork that sometime is out of sync. 

- Overall this was a lot closer to being a good game than it felt like live. It was an incredibly frustrating game to watch because of the uncharacteristic missed throws and drops. It created a barrage of 3 and outs that combined with the D allowing long scoring drives became unbearable to watch. 

- I have to say, nothing is easy in this offense. Yes, “plays were there to be made” but they were all high degree of difficulty plays that required Sam to buy time and make accurate throws on the move. 

On to Sunday 

One thing I noticed while watching the Baldy breakdown of Becton.... there was a pass very early in the game, possibly the first drive, short pass to Darnold‘s right that I believe was going to Crowder or maybe Herndon. Darnold’s footwork looked horrible! The pass sailed like 5 ft in front of the receiver ... But on a closer look Becton had backed up into Darnold. Their feet were almost tangled. To me that looked like why his feet couldn’t get set and his mechanics were so bad.

Our quarterback had a bad game. No doubt about it. But the whole offense seemed out of sync and I think having new players and no preseason games against a very good defense seems to be a key part of it.

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Once we started at the end of the half we were doing fine and likely would have controlled the rest if the game had Herndon held the ball(controversial call). So, Sam was doing a lot of work on what amounted to 3 scoring drives and 2 TDs, which would have been 3 TD drives had the Bills defender not hurt Bell when he got that penalty since that throw would have been a TD, The one thing I hate about this sport is you do something illegal, get the penalty(which is just a 5yard 1st down penalty i.e big deal), and hurt a plyer that is ineffective or out the rest of the game and now on short term IR so we lose the guy for 4 games which included the game we were in. That should at least get that player ejected from the current game they are in.  

You wanted to eject that guy?  I think we should send him flowers.

• Thumb Down 1

Yes there were positives, quite a few actually. I’ve rewatched every play like 10 times now, here are some positive observations:
- He was awesome in the pocket, even on bad throws/plays. The “pocket” was very chaotic all day. He stood in there, eyes down field. Did a great job of moving in the pocket and/or finding lanes to scramble and create time to throw.
- The second drop by Crowder in the first quarter is maybe the most impressive pocket throw Darnold has ever made. Watch it again closely if you can. 

- Bounces back from the pick with a great throw to Le’Veon and a nice 2 min drive to get points 
- His release is absurd. It’s incredible how he took this loopy throwing motion and now has probably the tightest release in the NFL. People love to trash his “mechanics” but his throwing mechanics are good. It’s his footwork that sometime is out of sync. 
- Overall this was a lot closer to being a good game than it felt like live. It was an incredibly frustrating game to watch because of the uncharacteristic missed throws and drops. It created a barrage of 3 and outs that combined with the D allowing long scoring drives became unbearable to watch. 
- I have to say, nothing is easy in this offense. Yes, “plays were there to be made” but they were all high degree of difficulty plays that required Sam to buy time and make accurate throws on the move. 
On to Sunday 
Footwork is mechanics.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

I am not sure how anyone can interpret me listing some objective positives as saying Darnold wasn’t bad and holds no blame. He had a bad game, thats not debatable. That doesn’t mean that every snap he took was a negative... that would be irrational....
Let me help you out ...

Yes there were positives, quite a few actually.

... No there really weren't.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

He made it through the first week of the season without a venereal disease, so that's a positive I guess.

2 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Please don't use the word positive in a topic - hasn't been a good word these days. I thought he tested positive at first glance. Phew.

when I saw the words darnold and positive in a thread title my brain immediately jumped to covid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  You are correct.  Considerably was an overstatement, but they are at a minimum comparable. 

Crowder had the one big play, but he sucked in the first half. 

Not sure why Herndon is supposed to be good.  He is a hope.  He had numerous lousy plays and his golden age has been his eh 2018 campaign.  ASJ is similar if uninspiring.

Stewart doesn't belong in the league?  True enough, but Hogan was, quite literally, out of the league.  Nobody was knocking. Bad > bad + old. 

Forte was washed up, but Gore churns some tough yards? The guy is 37 and four of the last five years he averaged under 4 ypc.  His "good" year was with Gase. 

The dropoff from Perriman to Anderson may be huge and Perriman is dinged. 

Darnold sucked.  I just don't understand why everyone is looking for new ways to say it.

So basically we agree. Darnold sucked and lots of people want to deflect it on to other people who also sucked. Not I.

I can sit here and say he looked bad ... Very bad... Uninspired...  Along with undercoached by a man who does not attempt to coach to his players strengths but rather follow a formula that has quite literally never worked for him as a HC.

Splitting hairs on the crap skill positions it pointless. I'm not a huge Perriman fan just like I am not a huge Robby Anderson fan. I don't want either but since we have no one I will now say we should have just paid for both. In true Jets fashion Anderson blew up in his first game with the Panthers while Perriman was the non-existent Perriman he was most of his career. Just so the fates could rub salt in the wound.

I ate some crow on Robby and if he keeps it up I'll eat some more but I don't expect him to. 

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Darnold's performance in Buffalo was the first and only time I've doubted his qualifications as a franchise quarterback.

I am still a believer, but I am stunned about how unprepared he was considering:

1.  The 1-7 start from last year and consuming himself to avoid that same disaster.

2.  The 6-2 finish and how that should have left him supremely confident.

3.  Covid which, while tragic, allowed him to have 3+ months of specialized training time with his personal quarterback coach.

4.  5 weeks of live training camp and no preseason games which should have left him fresh and feeling great.

5.  Better OL, better RB's, better WR's than he had at any time during last year's injury-riddled campaign.

6.  The media trying to humiliate him and his teammates at every opportunity since May.

You add all that up, Darnold should have come out like a man possessed on Sunday.  He should have been in complete control, he should have had that eye of the tiger, he should have been screaming at teammates on the sidelines.  In other words, he should have looked like a grown up professional and not a timid boy.

SAR I 

He wasn't a quarterback in the first place. There isn't any reason to think that any of these words were going to make him a quarterback.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Darnold's performance in Buffalo was the first and only time I've doubted his qualifications as a franchise quarterback.

I am still a believer, but I am stunned about how unprepared he was considering:

1.  The 1-7 start from last year and consuming himself to avoid that same disaster.

3.  Covid which, while tragic, allowed him to have 3+ months of quarantined specialized training time with his personal quarterback coach.

4.  A full year in the same playbook with 100% of the coaching staff returning.

5.  5 weeks of live training camp and no preseason games which should have left him fresh and feeling great.

6.  Better OL, better RB's, better WR's than he had at any time during last year's injury-riddled campaign.

7.  The media trying to humiliate him and his teammates at every opportunity since May.

You add all that up, Darnold should have come out like a man possessed on Sunday.  He should have been in total control, he should have had that eye of the tiger, he should have been screaming at teammates on the sidelines, he shouldn't have taken a loss instead of an incompletion, he shouldn't have been daydreaming during a TV timeout, he wasn't exactly facing Bill Belichick's ghosts.  In other words, he should have looked like a grown up professional in complete command and not a timid boy making Pop Warner mistakes.

SAR I 

I’d like to chalk this up to nerves and how he’s wanted revenge on the Bills from the opening day game last year when he knew he wasn’t healthy.  At some point the big boy qbs step it up and get over the hump, while others languish in this one up one down thing and can’t really get into the top half of ranked qbs.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Waka Flocka Flacco said:

He wasn't a quarterback in the first place. There isn't any reason to think that any of these words were going to make him a quarterback.

For a Bills fan, your Jets fetish is rather cute.  Darnold isn't your problem right now; Allen, however, is.  

SAR I

7 hours ago, Y3k said:

On to Sunday 

Took until Wednesday to concoct some sort of fake news positives huh? Noble try.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

3.  Covid which, while tragic, allowed him to have 3+ months of quarantined specialized training time with his personal quarterback coach.

4.  A full year in the same playbook with 100% of the coaching staff returning.

5.  5 weeks of live training camp and no preseason games which should have left him fresh and feeling great.

6.  Better OL, better RB's, better WR's than he had at any time during last year's injury-riddled campaign.

7.  The media trying to humiliate him and his teammates at every opportunity since May.

You add all that up, Darnold should have come out like a man possessed on Sunday.  He should have been in total control, he should have had that eye of the tiger, he should have been screaming at teammates on the sidelines, he shouldn't have taken a loss instead of an incompletion, he shouldn't have been daydreaming during a TV timeout, he wasn't exactly facing Bill Belichick's ghosts.  In other words, he should have looked like a grown up professional in complete command and not a timid boy making Pop Warner mistakes.

SAR I 

Your transformation is nearly complete

Star Wars The Force Awakens - Kylo Ren Poster (60.96 x 91.44 cm):  Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Let me help you out ...

Yes there were positives, quite a few actually.

... No there really weren't.

Seth Walder, sports analytics writer: Sam Darnold, QB, Jets. He posted a 19.3 QBR against the Bills on Sunday, and I'm buying that poor performance. The last time Darnold cracked the top 20 in QBR in either college or the pros was all the way back in 2016. At this point it would be a hefty upset for him to end up a good quarterback.