### NY Jets 2020 Week 2 Jets vs. 49ers ### - The Official Game Thread

Maxman

It looks to me like in 2020 we will be competitive with lower tier teams but can't beat the better ones. And hard to know which teams will end up elite this season with all of the roster changes and problems. I don't think Jimmy G is a better than average Qb but he can lead that team. And I do think Sam with all of the criticism is for now at least average and will be better than average in the long run. But today SF is better and I see something like a 24-13 W for them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

At least you recognize the issue and you are not blindly following it.  Face it SAR, The Johnsons are a wreck.

The Johnson's strategy is sound.

I am not sold on Darnold.  I was very much so going into last week, but looking at him and seeing him play that badly was quite a shock.  No QB should look that bad Week 1 after all that time to prepare himself.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Sucks for the streak to end this way. I feel you. However no matter the outcome, how can one game answer a question the previous 27 have not? A FQB is defined by consistency. Even if Sam goes 400yds, 4 TDs and no INTs, the question remains unanswered.

1 hour ago, Gibby said:

Does suck to not be able to be there. 
As for Sam........ you’re not going to find out anything today. Even if he plays well. He’s done that- plenty of times. He’ll be a franchise quarterback when he can put the team on his back despite his surrounding cast and do it week in- week out.

Yes fellas, hard to miss a home opener for the first time in 19 years, 20 if you count that I was at the opener in Green Bay in 2000.  Sad times indeed.

As for Darnold, we've hyped Jets quarterbacks many times before and there is always a moment, always a tell that [insert name here] isn't the guy to get us to the promised land.  I'm not saying Buffalo was that moment, but I was shocked at how bad Sam looked last week, no excuse for that.  I'm going to have to see him look sharp this week to alleviate my concerns and let me rest easy thinking last week was a fluke.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes fellas, hard to miss a home opener for the first time in 19 years, 20 if you count that I was at the opener in Green Bay in 2000.  Sad times indeed.

As for Darnold, we've hyped Jets quarterbacks many times before and there is always a moment, always a tell that [insert name here] isn't the guy to get us to the promised land.  I'm not saying Buffalo was that moment, but I was shocked at how bad Sam looked last week, no excuse for that.  I'm going to have to see him look sharp this week to alleviate my concerns and let me rest easy thinking last week was a fluke.

SAR I

You posted on ji in 2007 that you weren't at that opener.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Gibby said:

As for Sam........ you’re not going to find out anything today. Even if he plays well. He’s done that- plenty of times. He’ll be a franchise quarterback when he can put the team on his back despite his surrounding cast and do it week in- week out.

I disagree.  Having a bounce back game is crucial.  Call it excuses but that was his first live bullet, no preseason and clearly his timing/trust of all the new pieces was off.  He he actually pulls out a win as underdogs, that's a huge vote of confidence.  For Sam to prove he can be consistent, it has to start somewhere.  Legit, I think this is the most important start of Sam's career.  I'd say 75% of the fanbase is looking at him crosseyed and ready to give up. Fields and Lawrence are looming.  He's not dumb, he's hears this sh*t, he knows he was rated as the worst QB in the league after week 1.  How he responds is crucial.  This is his chance to delay that conversation for a week and then string a few together.   If he can do that, the narrative will change, it always does but he has to start today.  Another stinker and he's just 1 step closer to being replaced.  Whether he cares or not is TBD but if he does, he needs to show it today

10 minutes ago, JiF said:

I disagree.  Having a bounce back game is crucial.  Call it excuses but that was his first live bullet, no preseason and clearly his timing/trust of all the new pieces was off.  He he actually pulls out a win as underdogs, that's a huge vote of confidence.  For Sam to prove he can be consistent, it has to start somewhere.  Legit, I think this is the most important start of Sam's career.  I'd say 75% of the fanbase is looking at him crosseyed and ready to give up. Fields and Lawrence are looming.  He's not dumb, he's hears this sh*t, he knows he was rated as the worst QB in the league after week 1.  How he responds is crucial.  This is his chance to delay that conversation for a week and then string a few together.   If he can do that, the narrative will change, it always does but he has to start today.  Another stinker and he's just 1 step closer to being replaced.  Whether he cares or not is TBD but if he does, he needs to show it today

I suppose I get that. This is definitely a crossroads game for Sam- and I’ll agree with you it IS the biggest start of his career to date. Still... it’s time for Sam to be consistent- and it needs to start today. If he plays well today ( in his biggest moment) then lays an egg next week.. then we’re back to Groundhog Day.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

would be great to see for sure. he needs to figure out ways to move this offense. there has to be a way and he needs to find it.  I am pulling for him but if he cant put it together this season I say we have a jetnation road trip to find @HelenOfTroy for some answers.

• Haha 3

I think winning or losing today really depends on Darnold. At this point, every game will fall on how he plays.  Darnold needs to fight his way back today. He had time to throw last week, he had guys open, he needs to man up. Stop thinking and just play. Make Gase look like a genius. 

To add: Gase needs to give him some easy throws in the beginning, as everyone has said, just to warm everyone up a little bit.

• Upvote 1

I sort of agree with this... Except I do believe you will find out today... or at least we should start finding out today I should say. A third year quarterback should display these traits every week even in a losing cause.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Johnson's strategy is sound.

I am not sold on Darnold.  I was very much so going into last week, but looking at him and seeing him play that badly was quite a shock.  No QB should look that bad Week 1 after all that time to prepare himself.

SAR I

What are your thoughts on Gase right now?

1 minute ago, Drums said:

I think winning or losing today really depends on Darnold. At this point, every game will fall on how he plays.  Darnold needs to fight his way back today. He had time to throw last week, he had guys open, he needs to man up. Stop thinking and just play. Make Gase look like a genius. 

To add: Gase needs to give him some easy throws in the beginning, as everyone has said, just to warm everyone up a little bit.

Darnold Dink & Dunk offense.

Basically the offense we saw the  Cincinnati Bengals run last Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns.

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Is there a livestream tailgate or discord channel ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

@GREENBEAN is doing a watch party, it will definitely be on https://youtube.com/JetNation and it should also be on Facebook Live.  https://facebook.com/JetNation

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Darnold Dink & Dunk offense.

Basically the offense we saw the  Cincinnati Bengals run last Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns.

I don't know what San Fran's weakness is on D but whatever it is should be the game plan. We didn't attack Buffalo's D the way we should have but there were still some big plays we left on the field last week in the passing game. Dink and dunk if we gotta but with Crowder hurt, I really need to see Herndon make some big plays today. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Drums said:

That wheel route to the running back last week was money. It worked with Bell on both sides of the field--would have been a TD if he didn't get held/hurt. I wonder if Perine or Adams can run that route. I think we'll be seeing that one again.

Perine loves that route.  Ran it often in college.  He's a very a good WR out of the backfield.  If he's healthy, I'd love to see him but Gase such a bonehead I see Gore getting like 25 carries today.  Hell, I wouldnt be surprised to see Ballage out touch Perine.  

• Upvote 1