The Jets were built by morons, it's a big job to fix it

slats

37 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's the thing:  Douglas wasn't fooled by this.  The team was outscored by 83 points on the season.  This was a bad roster.  Every decision he made over the offseason was made with the knowledge that this was never going to be a quick fix.  The 6-2 finish wasn't a sign of better days to come in 2020.  

It’s people misattributing anger at how bad it’s been for so long. Yeah, as fans you should expect the product to improve and be better. But fixing it in one year was not going to happen. JD has done a bunch of things I don’t agree with but i’m a fan of his approach so far. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, slats said:

Like I said, In my opinion, he's hedging his bets. It's basically up to Sam -who's still the second youngest starting QB in the league- to shine despite his surrounding cast and coaches. I think the three yard outs are more a product of Gase's play-calling than Sam's ability. I really do. But they have to fix that. If they don't, Gase will be gone and the next head coach will have a tremendous say in whether the Jets stick with Darnold in 2021 or trade him for whatever they can get and move in another direction. 

Darnold was asked yesterday if he had been given the authority to check out of Gase’s plays.  The answer was “No”.  So Darnold is severely hamstrung on every snap.

Granted Darnold has missed some throws he should have hit so far this year and that’s all on him, but the unimaginative garbage offense that anyone can read and I realize is limited by non pro players on the field is ALL on Gase.  John Morton the OC from a few years ago did a lot I thought, with NOTHING.  He could coach circles around the Fraud that is named Adam Gase.

Most of what the Johnsons do is driven by short-term money and cash flow.  They say they want to put a good football team on the field, and may mean it sometimes, but they can't do it.

They also tend to stick with the high draft picks because they do not want to admit defeat, and then insist on trading them for picks rather than let them walk.

But if we want to figure out what the Johnsons will do, you have to follow the money.

So if they have to make a change......

• Darnold is cheap this year and next year, and his fifth year option is still cheap.  The Jets can save money and signing bonus by riding with him.  He sticks around for awhile.
  • Douglas has 5 more years on his contract, and his staff is also signed.  He is not going anywhere.
  • Gase probably has 2 more years left after this year, and fired coaches usually get a walk year. So firing Gase before 2021 will likely have the biggest positive impact for the team and cost the least money.  Any money the Jets owe Gase will be reduced by whatever he gets paid in his next job.   The Jets Bowles' payment is offset by what he makes in TB.  
    • The funny thing is that the Jets are completely on the hook for what they owe Mac.  He has not gotten another job, to my knowledge.  

The never ending rebuild excuse.  It's like the energizer bunny, from 1 GM to the next, from 1 HC to the next, from 1 QB to the next.  Be patient, trust the process, it keeps going and going and going.

Meanwhile, all offseason you're being sold on the promising 6-2 finish and promising Mr. and Mrs. Darnold that you were going to build around Sam and how no QB is taking this more serious and here you are 2 weeks in and you're undoubtedly the worst team in the Football only moving further away from any closure on Gase/Darnold. 

But hey, it's cool man, we got some picks in the next coming years and the Jets really know how to take advantage of the draft, so look out for that and just hold your horses for the real rebuild when the heavy lifting begins.  Peep us out in 2022.  We'll be ascending for a run in 2023, no doubt!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Meanwhile, all offseason you're being sold on the promising 6-2 finish 

Remember when the Jets went 8-8 in 2013, but were outscored by 97 points, and a bunch of people said 2014 would be a disaster, because wins don't carry over?

Well we were outscored by 83 points last season, and a bunch of people said 2020 would be a disaster regardless.

I don't think anybody in the Jets org made any promises about 2020 being good.  Not at all.  That was just a bunch of Jets fan nonsense led by SAR I.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas shows up here and the biggest contracts on the roster are an unavailable inside LB, a past his prime RB, a broken WR, and a terrible CB. His draft assets include a promising QB prospect to go a long with a couple DTs and a safety - and the jury remains out on the QB. C.J. Mosley has played a half of football for the Jets for which he's already been paid $29M and has another $14M fully guaranteed on the way. Le'Veon Bell has been crap here, and now he's on the IR now, too. 

The OL? Garbage. WRs and CBs? Garbage. Pass rush? Non-existent. 

Douglas unceremoniously unloaded Trumaine Johnson (who still counts $4M against this year's cap). He got a third and a fifth for Leonard Williams. He'll probably dump Bell the way he dropped TJ, and he'll have a decision to make on Mosley. 

People continuing to whine about Da Prez are out of their minds. This trade was always going to be a net negative for 2020. This year, the Jets got Bradley McDougald for an over-hyped all pro. That's a downgrade, yeah. But next year, Seattle gives the Jets 1st & 3rd round picks and the Jets give them nothing. The following year the Jets send Seattle a 4th round pick in exchange for another 1st. This was a fantastic trade for the long term health of this team. I understand the frustration that fans are feeling this year but if you want to see the team built right, that's going to take some time. 

The fact is that there are still a lot of questions regarding the head coach and the quarterback, and the answers are tough to figure out without an off season program, a preseason, and what still amounts to a crappy roster. They're not going to knee-jerk it like the fans and fire the coach week two. They're going to let it play out with Sam in the same system two years in a row for the first time ever.

What I see is Joe Douglas hedging his bets this year. He's going to be in better position to improve the team than maybe every other GM in the league next year - especially if the cap takes a big covid hit. He'll be in position to build around Gase and Darnold if that's what he wants, or he'll have enough assets available to attract a new head coach and bring in another QB if that's the direction he decides to go in. This was always going to take time, and this year was always going to be a lengthy evaluation process. 

So this post has received 12 POW thus far, mine  included. That’s pretty outstanding. But in essence, it’s really CSPOY.....common sense post of the year.  Why is it so hard for the fans on this board to see the big picture here. Hiring JD, regardless of Gase’s input on it, was a huge step in righting this hurricane/earthquake/tsunami of an organization.  There’s a saying that goes: if you’re wandering around and get lost in the forest for 2 weeks you’re not going to find your way out in a  day.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember when the Jets went 8-8 in 2013, but were outscored by 97 points, and a bunch of people said 2014 would be a disaster, because wins don't carry over?

Well we were outscored by 83 points last season, and a bunch of people said 2020 would be a disaster regardless.

I don't think anybody in the Jets org made any promises about 2020 being good.  Not at all.  That was just a bunch of Jets fan nonsense led by SAR I.  

"You're gonna see a team that's very hungry and has a lot of desire to prove that a 6-2 finish [in 2019] was not a fluke against 'soft schedule,'" Joe Douglas told reporters on a conference call following the trade, via NJ.com. "You're going to see a team that has a lot of fire and motivation. So I would disagree that we're punting on 2020."

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, varjet said:

So if they have to make a change......

• Darnold is cheap this year and next year, and his fifth year option is still cheap.  The Jets can save money and signing bonus by riding with him.  He sticks around for awhile.
  • Douglas has 5 more years on his contract, and his staff is also signed.  He is not going anywhere.
  • Gase probably has 2 more years left after this year, and fired coaches usually get a walk year. So firing Gase before 2021 will likely have the biggest positive impact for the team and cost the least money.  Any money the Jets owe Gase will be reduced by whatever he gets paid in his next job.   The Jets Bowles' payment is offset by what he makes in TB.  
    • The funny thing is that the Jets are completely on the hook for what they owe Mac.  He has not gotten another job, to my knowledge.  

I don't agree, at least not entirely. 

I think Darnold has this year and probably next, but that could definitely change. It's all on him, unfortunately for him, to be productive despite his (lack of) coaches and weapons. 

Gase is on a much shorter leash. The banners are all set to fly. If he's fired, whether it's today or after the season, it'll be the head coach they hire this winter who will have a major say in Darnold's fate. Although I would certainly not put it past the Johnsons to make keeping Darnold for one year a requirement, thus making sure that they are working with a sub-par list of potential head coaches yet again. The hope would be for Douglas to talk them out of any such provision. 

Joe Douglas is locked in for at least another 3-4 years. 

5 hours ago, k-met57 said:

....lets keep things in perspective.

Sam Darnold is in his third year.  In the coming offseason, the Jets Front Office needs to make a major decision on his future here (Draft a QB or not).

At the end of his fourth year, the Jets will need to make a very expensive, long-term decision on him (Pay him big $$ or not).  

The clock is ticking.  It's not going to stop just because our WR's are all hurt or suck, and our Head Coach is a dysfunctional loser.

I think we have the perspective just fine.  Time on both Gase and Darnold is running out, regardless of the mitigating factors

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

we "made do" with 2nd string LBs...  this year we're rollomg with 3rd string...        I think Avery played a few snaps...

i spoke against counting on Glassman to be a contributor and was ignored as usual....

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So?  If Mims is not playing he is not contributing.

WR was a major weakness, every one knew that and many teams double and tripled down on Wrs in this draft.  Douglas drafted other guys instead and here we are with our #1 wr being hogan

Pretty sure Hogan would still be the #1 despite drafting another WR. 

Wish we drafted another too. Still wouldn’t help much. 

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

The never ending rebuild excuse.  It's like the energizer bunny, from 1 GM to the next, from 1 HC to the next, from 1 QB to the next.  Be patient, trust the process, it keeps going and going and going.

Meanwhile, all offseason you're being sold on the promising 6-2 finish and promising Mr. and Mrs. Darnold that you were going to build around Sam and how no QB is taking this more serious and here you are 2 weeks in and you're undoubtedly the worst team in the Football only moving further away from any closure on Gase/Darnold. 

But hey, it's cool man, we got some picks in the next coming years and the Jets really know how to take advantage of the draft, so look out for that and just hold your horses for the real rebuild when the heavy lifting begins.  Peep us out in 2022.  We'll be ascending for a run in 2023, no doubt!

This way we always have something to look forward to! 

Listen, I get the fatigue, I really do. Personally, I feel very good about the Joe Douglas hire and, while he hasn't done everything I would've wanted everywhere, I like the pragmatic approach. If Darnold's the guy, the team should be in strong position next year with the extra picks and cap space. If he's not... then that becomes something else. But if Darnold's not the guy, then going all in this year would've been a mistake, anyway. 

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Douglas has a tough job for sure, that doesn't mean he gets a free pass.  He has made some very nice moves and draft picks but also made some errors.  Right now his 1st draft other than Becton is garbage as far as who is actually contributing.  He has treated the Wr position the way mccagnan treated the oline.

His biggest test after this year will be as to whether Adam Gase is still coach.  If he is still coac then douglas is either not smart enough to realize gase stinks or not brave enough to tell Cjohnston gase must be fired.

Well the Punter Mann has been good as well as Becton so far being great but we will need the other draft picks off IR to fully judge this draft. Heck, outside of Becton and Mann, the only other players through 2 weeks doing well are Maye, QW, and maybe an honorable mention for Hogan. That's only 5 spots when you have 22 starters. Geez what a mess right now.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Joe Douglas shows up here and the biggest contracts on the roster are an unavailable inside LB, a past his prime RB, a broken WR, and a terrible CB. His draft assets include a promising QB prospect to go a long with a couple DTs and a safety - and the jury remains out on the QB. C.J. Mosley has played a half of football for the Jets for which he's already been paid $29M and has another $14M fully guaranteed on the way. Le'Veon Bell has been crap here, and now he's on the IR now, too. 

Douglas unceremoniously unloaded Trumaine Johnson (who still counts $4M against this year's cap). He got a third and a fifth for Leonard Williams. He'll probably dump Bell the way he dropped TJ, and he'll have a decision to make on Mosley. 

People continuing to whine about Da Prez are out of their minds. This trade was always going to be a net negative for 2020. This year, the Jets got Bradley McDougald for an over-hyped all pro. That's a downgrade, yeah. But next year, Seattle gives the Jets 1st & 3rd round picks and the Jets give them nothing. The following year the Jets send Seattle a 4th round pick in exchange for another 1st. This was a fantastic trade for the long term health of this team. I understand the frustration that fans are feeling this year but if you want to see the team built right, that's going to take some time. 

The fact is that there are still a lot of questions regarding the head coach and the quarterback, and the answers are tough to figure out without an off season program, a preseason, and what still amounts to a crappy roster. They're not going to knee-jerk it like the fans and fire the coach week two. They're going to let it play out with Sam in the same system two years in a row for the first time ever.

What I see is Joe Douglas hedging his bets this year. He's going to be in better position to improve the team than maybe every other GM in the league next year - especially if the cap takes a big covid hit. He'll be in position to build around Gase and Darnold if that's what he wants, or he'll have enough assets available to attract a new head coach and bring in another QB if that's the direction he decides to go in. This was always going to take time, and this year was always going to be a lengthy evaluation process. 

Good points. At this point I'm more willing than usual to see the main issue is ownership as opposed to the gm and coaches.  IMO Douglas has made some good moves that will pay off in the near future. He did what he could for this season. As for Gase, I don’t see him as the great villain in this epic.  He needs the pieces and it’s hard to play with so many early injuries.  The Johnsons are something else.  They seem to be very willing to pay for a first class training facility but they just don’t seem to connect with the players very well.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

This way we always have something to look forward to! 

Listen, I get the fatigue, I really do. Personally, I feel very good about the Joe Douglas hire and, while he hasn't done everything I would've wanted everywhere, I like the pragmatic approach. If Darnold's the guy, the team should be in strong position next year with the extra picks and cap space. If he's not... then that becomes something else. But if Darnold's not the guy, then going all in this year would've been a mistake, anyway. 

I get it.  And you and I specifically talked about breaking in a new offense from a personnel perspective being a challenge given the circumstances this offseason.  I just dont know how you can honestly assess Darnold with this roster and I think the worst part is now you have harder decisions because of the roster neglect; Gase and Darnold, one or the other, etc. 

I mean, right now I personally think hehe should just hit reset.  New coach, new QB, create the proper structure organizationally and let new QB and Sam battle it out.  I just think it's really convenient to think that JD planned this/and or is cool with these types of performances even if he expected to be bad (despite what he says to the press/fans, etc.)

28 minutes ago, JiF said:

You can rebuild fast and with little staying power if you hire a well known and connected HC. They bring in an experienced staff, systems that they've had in place and continued to develop for the past decade and are a magnet for former players and free agents that want to play for him. This was Parcell's turnaround formula. Before Parcells it was George Allen's formula. Rex and Tanny did it to some extent as well. The problem is that you build to win now and sacrifice the future. If you want to build long term success, you need to do it through the draft. This only works of you draft well. You can have misses. Everyone does. But overall, you need to have good deep drafts. you can then afford to fill a critical hole here and there in free agency if need be.

This is how it is done. There are no shortcuts for long term success. You have to put in the time and the work. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

Going into the season, the top four Jets WRs were probably Perriman, Crowder, Mims, and Vyncint Smith. By the second quarter of week #2, they were all out. That would be a tough nut to swallow for any team. 

Not that there is any reason to think he'll be good in the NFL, but Jeff Smith was probably in the top 5 and he is out too.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

You can rebuild fast and with little staying power if you hire a well known and connected HC. They bring in an experienced staff, systems that they've had in place and continued to develop for the past decade and are a magnet for former players and free agents that want to play for him. This was Parcell's turnaround formula. Before Parcells it was George Allen's formula. Rex and Tanny did it to some extent as well. The problem is that you build to win now and sacrifice the future. If you want to build long term success, you need to do it through the draft. This only works of you draft well. You can have misses. Everyone does. But overall, you need to have good deep drafts. you can then afford to fill a critical hole here and there in free agency if need be.

This is how it is done. There are no shortcuts for long term success. You have to put in the time and the work. 

I get it and the Jets have been arguably the worst drafting team in the NFL over the past 20 years but that's also why I kind of just laugh at this idea that suddenly that's going to change.  I hope JD can because you're right, that's what it's going to take but I also think you have to add talent when you can and sometimes you to be aggressive in doing so.  You have to add talent, any means possible.  I dont think the Cardinals or Bills regret equipping their young QB's with Hopkins or the Bills regret trading for Diggs and signing John Brown in FA. Both aggressive non-draft moves that will pay dividends for years to come.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get it and the Jets have been arguably the worst drafting team in the NFL over the past 20 years but that's also why I kind of just laugh at this idea that suddenly that's going to change.  

It might not, but thru just 2 weeks his very first pick is already easily the best player on the team, and has the look of a perennial Pro Bowl type Left Tackle.  OL was our biggest need, he took what might just be a franchise LT.  And he wasn't exactly a slam dunk pick.  A lot of people here wanted Wirfs or a WR at that spot.  Some even hated the Becton pick.

The rest of the draft class not really seeing the field yet isn't really Douglas' fault (except perhaps Zuniga, who arrived with an injury history), so its obviously too early to start judging the rest of those guys.  

There's at least one gigantic reason for hope.

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sam Darnold is in his third year.  In the coming offseason, the Jets Front Office needs to make a major decision on his future here (Draft a QB or not).

At the end of his fourth year, the Jets will need to make a very expensive, long-term decision on him (Pay him big $$ or not).  

The clock is ticking.  It's not going to stop just because our WR's are all hurt or suck, and our Head Coach is a dysfunctional loser.

I think we have the perspective just fine.  Time on both Gase and Darnold is running out, regardless of the mitigating factors

are you just stating the obvious? should i disagree?

and no...you are not keeping it in perspective if you sh*t on Darnold or Gase without mentioning the pile of sh*t this team is right now.

This is a bad team. Only a couple of decent players on it (not counting Mims because he's looking bustable).

So you fire Gase, dump Darnold and what does that leave you?  Another 1st time coach and rookie\cast off QB.  We have to pray that Douglas actually knows what he's doing and that all his picks hit the mark because it's going to take 2-3 years to just fill the void of talent.

Sorry but I've seen this all before, same as it ever was; wash, rinse and repeat.

Blow this god forsaken team up and put us out of our misery.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It might not, but thru just 2 weeks his very first pick is already easily the best player on the team, and has the look of a perennial Pro Bowl type Left Tackle.  OL was our biggest need, he took what might just be a franchise LT.  And he wasn't exactly a slam dunk pick.  A lot of people here wanted Wirfs or a WR at that spot.  Some even hated the Becton pick.

The rest of the draft class not really seeing the field yet isn't really Douglas' fault (except perhaps Zuniga, who arrived with an injury history), so its obviously too early to start judging the rest of those guys.  

There's at least one gigantic reason for hope.

I guess we have different definitions of hope.  It's great that Becton looks awesome but if we're netting 1 player a year and strictly adding talent through the draft well....

halloween dancing GIF  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I guess we have different definitions of hope.  It's great that Becton looks awesome but if we're netting 1 player a year and strictly adding talent through the draft well....

halloween dancing GIF  

I'm not.  I think his first draft class will prove to be a strong one overall.  We just need these guys to get healthy and show it.

All I'm saying is the only guy we CAN evaluate right now has been Becton, and he's looked great.  That's a good start.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

Excellent post and good arguments well made. 

I think many of us really expected to see a better product on the field and at least something to get excited about and I’m not a fan of totally sacrificing a season for the sake of a brighter future. You build for next year by at least showing something and I think we are all tired of the decade long rebuild that never ends. NFL seasons are only 16 weeks of the year and it’s a long old way to wait for competitive football when your roster has literally nothing to get excited about until this time next year (at the earliest)

We were in trouble at WR before the injuries & Covid opt outs, any scenario where Vincent Smith & Braxton Berrios are anything other than battling for the final roster spot is the dictionary definition of mismanagement and we really need to give Darnold something to work with.

JD might have played this well if indeed the Covid cap ramifications hit teams hard but I’m skeptical that will come to pass. There’s definitely some mitigation but also some clear examples of egregious decision making(Robby for example) and there needs to be something out of the draft class as the season progresses. We need to start finding contributors who can actually suit up in those middle rounds and some playmakers and long term starters in the 2nd and 3rd. If we see that JD knows how to draft talent as well as play the draft process(which the early evidence suggests he can) then all is not lost but right now it oooks like a tough old sled ahead

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get it.  And you and I specifically talked about breaking in a new offense from a personnel perspective being a challenge given the circumstances this offseason.  I just dont know how you can honestly assess Darnold with this roster and I think the worst part is now you have harder decisions because of the roster neglect; Gase and Darnold, one or the other, etc. 

I mean, right now I personally think hehe should just hit reset.  New coach, new QB, create the proper structure organizationally and let new QB and Sam battle it out.  I just think it's really convenient to think that JD planned this/and or is cool with these types of performances even if he expected to be bad (despite what he says to the press/fans, etc.)

If I have an issue with Douglas, it's not doing more at WR. I would've been fine to see him do what he did, but also keep Robby and draft another guy in the third or fourth round. The position and Darnold both needed the help. It's extremely frustrating that the roster and the coach continue to be a problem in properly evaluating a QB who you're either gonna trade, let go, or pay $35M/year to very soon. 

That said, the season is only 1/8th old. Way too early to talk about a new QB, IMO. Darnold has to take it if he's gonna keep it. He's gotta get in Gase's face about the ability to audible, for example. He has plenty of time left to turn it around. Hopefully he starts getting these guys off the IR, soon. I'd be down for a Vyncint Smith sighting. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Zuniga and Bryce Hall.  

He also drafted a QB and a punter.  Not necessarily the wrong choices, but those are guys that are not going to be helping your offensive and defensive stats for 2020.

• Upvote 1

Cannot be said enough; Maccagnan's drafts were catastrophic mismanagement. His free agent signings were little better. Complete lack of understanding of positional value, need to have a functioning offense, spending high picks on non premium positions. That doesn't excuse Gase, but Gase at least got the owner to recognize how f___in' stupid this was.

26 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Zuniga and Bryce Hall.  

He also drafted a QB and a punter.  Not necessarily the wrong choices, but those are guys that are not going to be helping your offensive and defensive stats for 2020.

Fair.  I didn't consider Hall, because of the enormous upside he carries.  But his injury history helped make 2020 a redshirt year for him, for sure.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

You're right. If we want to play this game, we've been rebuilding since the mid 70's when Joe was finally done because of all the injuries. We are the sports version of Mao and his 5 year plans.?