Trevor Talk

JetBlue

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

So don’t ask. Just wait and see. Give it another couple years. Let JD do his thing. It’s a process.  It’s not going to change overnight.  At that point we’ll know or are you one of these impervious souls with a golden spoon stuck in their mouths that has to have it right now. 

I've preached patience with Douglas for a year and a half.  I trust the process. 

But we also can't afford to miss out on a franchise QB in the 2021 draft by hanging onto Darnold for a year too long.  So for that aspect of the franchise's future, there's a bit of a time crunch.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Wonderboy said:

So don’t ask. Just wait and see. Give it another couple years. Let JD do his thing. It’s a process.  It’s not going to change overnight.  At that point we’ll know or are you one of these impervious souls with a golden spoon stuck in their mouths that has to have it right now. 

Whew, we can finally stop discussing our QB and reconvene here in 2 years and talk about how it played out. Wonderboy has spoken.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've preached patience with Douglas for a year and a half.  I trust the process. 

But we also can't afford to miss out on a franchise QB in the 2021 draft by hanging onto Darnold for a year too long.  So for that aspect of the franchise's future, there's a bit of a time crunch.

It ain’t gonna happen. Too bad for you. Guess you’ll have to root for some other team. 

2 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

It ain’t gonna happen. Too bad for you. Guess you’ll have to root for some other team. 

I've been a fan of this franchise longer than you've been alive, and will continue to be a fan (unfortunately). 

But yes, continue to tell me how to fan.  It's very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I've been a fan of this franchise longer than you've been alive, son.  But yes, continue to tell me how to fan.  It's very much appreciated.

I’m not telling you jack sheet. Think what you want. It’s no sweat off my back. I really could care less. I just vehemently disagree with your take on Sam, You don’t like it tough tities. And you’d lose that bet. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I've been a fan of this franchise longer than you've been alive.  But yes, continue to tell me how to fan.  It's very much appreciated.

I remember being young and optimistic about this team and the old salts at the Jets fan club in NC would throw french fries at me and make me stand in the corner if I said anything remotely upbeat about the team during the Kotite years. 

I miss the old days when youthful naïveté was beaten out of us before we had the chance to became sensitive little snowflakes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

I remember being young and optimistic about this team and the old salts at the Jets fan club in NC would throw french fries at me and make me stand in the corner if I said anything remotely upbeat about the team during the Kotite years. 

I miss the old days when youthful naïveté was beaten out of us before we had the chance to became sensitive little snowflakes.

Clearly you just don't know how to fan properly.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I can't F-in believe we're hoping to tank again for a QB.

Hoping?  I think most of us (at least me) are trying to find some way to find purpose in this $hit fest.  I'm still 100% behind my boy Sam,  but I get what's going on. 

This is just the turds isn't it? 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hoping?  I think most of us (at least me) are trying to find some way to find purpose in this $hit fest.  I'm still 100% behind my boy Sam,  but I get what's going on. 

This is just the turds isn't it? 

What’s really pissing me off is so many on here are putting this sh*tshow all on Sam as he’s totally to blame. Smiling faces playing 2 sides claiming they wish him success but are throwing him to the wolves.  It’s spectacularly unfair.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’d move like a tremendous machine.

Secretariat had a bad tooth and shut up the naysayers and became a great champion. Sam had mono and will shut up the naysayers and will likewise become a champion leading the Jets to the Super Bowl.  

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

All this talk about Trevor...

Has anyone read the scouting reports?

Not another happy feet qb please.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using JetNation.com mobile app

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-trevor-lawrence-qb-similar-to-deshaun-watson

I don’t know, looks pretty Impressive to me...

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah takes a "first look" at some of college football's top players for 2020. This is the eighth in a series of scouting reports that will run throughout the offseason.

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence heads into the 2020 season as the face of college football. It's very possible he could pull off the CFB triple crown in the next year: win the Heisman Trophy and the national championship and then become the first overall pick in the NFL draft. I can't remember this much hype about a prospect at the quarterback position since Andrew Luck was entering his final season at Stanford in 2011. I recently had the opportunity to study three of Lawrence's games. Here's my First Look report:

Height, weight: 6-foot-6, 220 pounds (school measurements).

2019 statistics: 268 of 407 (65.8 percent) for 3,665 yards, 36 TDs and 8 INTs; 103 carries for 563 yards (5.5 average), 9 TDs.

Game tape watched: Texas A&M (Sept. 7, 2019), South Carolina (Nov. 30, 2019), Ohio State (Dec. 28, 2019).

What I liked: Lawrence has an ideal blend of size, athleticism, arm strength and toughness. He's very urgent in his movement during his drop and he uses that suddenness to escape when pressured. Lawrence has a compact delivery, but he can adjust his arm angle and get the ball out even more quickly when needed. He's able to drive the ball outside the numbers, and he's also unafraid to work in the middle of the field. He flashes the ability to layer the ball over second-level defenders and in front of third-level defenders. He throws with excellent anticipation and timing.

The junior signal-caller is a creative playmaker when the play breaks down and he is very dangerous on designed quarterback runs. He will lower his shoulder to take on defenders, but his speed is his greatest asset as a runner. His overall competitiveness and toughness are evident in each game I viewed. He will hang in to take big hits from the pocket and he will fight for the extra yard as a ball-carrier.

Where he needs to improve: His biggest area to focus on heading into the 2020 season is his accuracy and ball placement. His completion percentage is very good (65.8%), but that stat isn't always a fair indicator of accuracy at the collegiate level. He has too many underthrown deep balls from the pocket and his placement when on the move is spotty. If he works to square his shoulders when outside the pocket, that should really improve his accuracy in that department. Also, I love how quickly he gets to the second and third read in his progression with his eyes, but there are plays where his feet aren't married to his vision and that affects his accuracy.

Biggest takeaway: Lawrence has all of the necessary tools to emerge as an elite quarterback at the next level. However, there is still some development needed. He's not at the same level of consistency that Luck displayed during his time at Stanford. I'm not talking about the statistics -- I'm talking about the overall command and ownership of every key situation. I think Lawrence can -- and will get -- to that level, but he's not quite there yet.

He reminds me of: There really isn't a comparison for Lawrence because of his unique measurables and athleticism. However, if you look at every current starting NFL quarterback, I believe he compares most favorably to a man who preceded him at Clemson, Deshaun Watson. Both players have lean, athletic frames and they are both capable of making winning plays from inside and outside the pocket. They can both drive the ball effectively and they share a competitiveness that's obvious on tape. While they are effective runners, they find success on the ground in different ways. Watson is more elusive, while Lawrence has more pure speed. Watson has emerged as one of the premier quarterbacks in the NFL, and Lawrence has the upside to join him in that group in the near future.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-trevor-lawrence-qb-similar-to-deshaun-watson

I don’t know, looks pretty Impressive to me...

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah takes a "first look" at some of college football's top players for 2020. This is the eighth in a series of scouting reports that will run throughout the offseason.

Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence heads into the 2020 season as the face of college football. It's very possible he could pull off the CFB triple crown in the next year: win the Heisman Trophy and the national championship and then become the first overall pick in the NFL draft. I can't remember this much hype about a prospect at the quarterback position since Andrew Luck was entering his final season at Stanford in 2011. I recently had the opportunity to study three of Lawrence's games. Here's my First Look report:

Height, weight: 6-foot-6, 220 pounds (school measurements).

2019 statistics: 268 of 407 (65.8 percent) for 3,665 yards, 36 TDs and 8 INTs; 103 carries for 563 yards (5.5 average), 9 TDs.

Game tape watched: Texas A&M (Sept. 7, 2019), South Carolina (Nov. 30, 2019), Ohio State (Dec. 28, 2019).

What I liked: Lawrence has an ideal blend of size, athleticism, arm strength and toughness. He's very urgent in his movement during his drop and he uses that suddenness to escape when pressured. Lawrence has a compact delivery, but he can adjust his arm angle and get the ball out even more quickly when needed. He's able to drive the ball outside the numbers, and he's also unafraid to work in the middle of the field. He flashes the ability to layer the ball over second-level defenders and in front of third-level defenders. He throws with excellent anticipation and timing.

The junior signal-caller is a creative playmaker when the play breaks down and he is very dangerous on designed quarterback runs. He will lower his shoulder to take on defenders, but his speed is his greatest asset as a runner. His overall competitiveness and toughness are evident in each game I viewed. He will hang in to take big hits from the pocket and he will fight for the extra yard as a ball-carrier.

Where he needs to improve: His biggest area to focus on heading into the 2020 season is his accuracy and ball placement. His completion percentage is very good (65.8%), but that stat isn't always a fair indicator of accuracy at the collegiate level. He has too many underthrown deep balls from the pocket and his placement when on the move is spotty. If he works to square his shoulders when outside the pocket, that should really improve his accuracy in that department. Also, I love how quickly he gets to the second and third read in his progression with his eyes, but there are plays where his feet aren't married to his vision and that affects his accuracy.

Biggest takeaway: Lawrence has all of the necessary tools to emerge as an elite quarterback at the next level. However, there is still some development needed. He's not at the same level of consistency that Luck displayed during his time at Stanford. I'm not talking about the statistics -- I'm talking about the overall command and ownership of every key situation. I think Lawrence can -- and will get -- to that level, but he's not quite there yet.

He reminds me of: There really isn't a comparison for Lawrence because of his unique measurables and athleticism. However, if you look at every current starting NFL quarterback, I believe he compares most favorably to a man who preceded him at Clemson, Deshaun Watson. Both players have lean, athletic frames and they are both capable of making winning plays from inside and outside the pocket. They can both drive the ball effectively and they share a competitiveness that's obvious on tape. While they are effective runners, they find success on the ground in different ways. Watson is more elusive, while Lawrence has more pure speed. Watson has emerged as one of the premier quarterbacks in the NFL, and Lawrence has the upside to join him in that group in the near future.

1) Trevor Lawrence has an elongated step in his throwing motion. It’s very Mark Sanchez-like. That’s why he underthrows long balls. He needs the space to get his feet in position for further and harder throws.

2) Deshaun Watson is not a premier QB.

26 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

1) Trevor Lawrence has an elongated step in his throwing motion. It’s very Mark Sanchez-like. That’s why he underthrows long balls. He needs the space to get his feet in position for further and harder throws.

2) Deshaun Watson is not a premier QB.

I’ll agree with this. If you believe his ceiling is Watson - then I would say trade the pick for a massive haul and draft OL with all of them and build the best OL in the NFL. Keep Sam. And you’ll be a playoff team for a decade. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

We finished 6-2 albeit against scrub teams. Darnold played decently considering all things: coming off of mono, lack of OL, lack of running game, lack or bonafide wr’s/te’s, lack of a coach. And he’s still wet behind the ears. Do I take Trevor if we get the #1 pick, sure why not. And again, if we don’t you have to stick with Sam, he’s all of 23. 

My point. The team rallied around each other. Win in spite of Gase. He lost them.

He lost them this year also. I am not confident in the same self-organizing happening.

Anyway, it’s unclear what you’re arguing - just that you want to argue. I’m good.

31 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’ll agree with this. If you believe his ceiling is Watson - then I would say trade the pick for a massive haul and draft OL with all of them and build the best OL in the NFL. Keep Sam. And you’ll be a playoff team for a decade. 

Are you kidding? If you know Lawrence will “only” cap out as Watson you make him the first overall pick and don’t look back.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Good luck trying to get FAs to. One to the team.  Good luck trying to get players to break their asses the following season.
It all sounds good, sounds easy.  It’s not.  That’s not even taking into account all the times players who seem like 1’s don’t wind up as 1’s or become busts.  
Too many unknowns.  

Tua 

This is the part of it that I’m not sure JD has thought through.  Putting out this sh—y of a roster and being this bad is going to make it hard to sign quality free agents and keep your current players motivated.

Only way this works is if you bring in a high profile HC that will be able to recruit.  I really do hope JD knows what he’s doing.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

To be clear, the article doesn't say "his ceiling is Watson." It says there's no natural comp because his skill set is so unique but he compares favorably to Watson. (He's like 4 inches taller than Watson and has way more arm talent.)

12 hours ago, Icer said:

We are a walking disaster, I don't think we have to root for losses they will come naturally. Of course if it comes down to the wire and we are fighting it out with another team for the top pick, we should absolutely lose.

I get the sense JD understands that winning meaningless games would harm the team.  

He wouldn’t have fielded such an awful roster if he thought winning was at all important this year.  If it comes down to it, I think he’ll do everything he can to assure that top spot.

5 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To be clear, the article doesn't say "his ceiling is Watson." It says there's no natural comp because his skill set is so unique but he compares favorably to Watson. (He's like 4 inches taller than Watson and has way more arm talent.)

I know, but I was responding to another post. 

He called Watson not elite talent.  Only point I was making was that if you believed that’s who he was - then I would rather have 3 extra 1st...(which is likely what the haul would be - or close) And Sam.

I mean, if Watson and Sam switched places - Watson would already be called a bust. Sam would be prospering. 

There is no doubt in my mind about that.

14 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

I'll glady pass on Trevor to receive a haul of picks for the next two and possibly three drafts. 

Trey Lance is a prospect to keep an eye on.

2,800 pass yards, 28 TD, 0 Int, 1,100 yard rushing, 14 TDs.

I’ll gladly take Lawrence. And allow JD to rebuild this team with Lawrence, Beckton, extra premium picks the next two drafts and a whole lotta cap space. Not to mention Gase would be gone to boot.

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That time crunch is the one thing that gives fuel to the Fire Gase! crowd right now. Put Williams in charge of the team and Cooter in charge of the offense and see if that lights a spark under someone's ass. If the Jets still look this ugly and are sitting at 0-4 after TNF with Denver, that might be a good time to pull that trigger. Gives them a couple extra days if not a bye week to get everything in order. 

8 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

What’s really pissing me off is so many on here are putting this sh*tshow all on Sam as he’s totally to blame. Smiling faces playing 2 sides claiming they wish him success but are throwing him to the wolves.  It’s spectacularly unfair.

Agreed. Football is the ultimate team game, and Darnold didn't come into the season with much of a team around him. We were hoping that Perriman, Crowder, Mims, and Vyncint Smith would be an adequate group of WRs heading into the year, by the second quarter of their second game, all of those guys - and Jeff Smith, too- were out. Hard to properly assess the QB when you're trotting out the likes of Josh Malone and Braxton Berrios (questionable) in your starting lineup, especially when you have the most chicken**** offensive minded head coach in the league. 

• Upvote 1