Is Gase taking too much heat from Jets fans?

GreekJet

Gase didn't draft Darnold.  Gase didn't hire Mac.  Gase inherited a terrible constructed team and did a good job last year.  The team has been torn down and it's being rebuilt.  

He looks bad but he gets too much blame.  It's obvious they filled a lot of cheap 1 year deals for this season.  The roster is overmatched and Sam isn't good enough to overcome it or smart enough to minimize the damage.  Neither is Gase.  A lot of great coaches looked bad with crappy teams.  This is a really bad team.  The injuries are making it worse but you can see the way they did the FA contracts this year it was always a survival year not a win year.

Gase probably can't survive this year.  The Johnsons don't have the fortitude, understanding or belief to suck it up.  

Just now, T0mShane said:

Wow. Really going in on Kyle Shanahan and Sean Payton here. Damn.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Gase’s built in injury excuses are my favorite. As if the HC doesn’t have any control over his staff to administer proper nutrition, conditioning, strengthening, etc., and to understand the role rest plays in practice. It’s not difficult to see that his teams are always injured, and many times they’re related to conditioning. This was a concern coming from Miami and should have been addressed before he got here. Freak/snap injuries are obviously unavoidable, but half of his teams not playing year in year out is absolutely bogus.

Also, once his starters are out, the guy folds up and goes home. He doesn’t even try to win. Remember last year when the Steelers lost their HoF QB, Antonio Brown, and leveon bell, and they still almost made the playoffs with Mason ******* Rudolph? Meanwhile, the 30th ranked QB goes down with Mono and it takes gase’s offenses 3 games to pick up 1 first down. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Adam Gase inherited an awful Idzik/Maccagnan roster and it’s always injured. No one could be creative on gameday with the weakest receiving corps in the NFL, weakest OL in the NFL, weakest ground game in the NFL.  If you think a coaching change would make any difference you are sadly mistaken.

The fact that Gase is 6-5 in his last 11 games is a miracle unto itself.  

SAR I

“IDZIOT AND BIG MACCC DOOMED GASE IN CHICAGO AND MIAMI TOOOOOOO!!!!!!”

• Upvote 1

My point isn’t that Gase is a bad HC and shouldn’t be fired. The talent stinks but Gase hasn’t done anything to help these guys. 

You can probably insert a high school coach in Gases spot and the results will be the same. 

My issue is that the general fan base and media reacts solely to Gase when the reality he’s only about 30 percent of the problem.

Of course hes getting too much blame. Fans typically blame the QB, HC or GM when teams underperform.

The GM is new and has done some positive things.

The QB is 23 and you can atleast pretend to convince yourself he has significant upside. 

The coach has an unlikable personality and was already despised by most fans.

He was always going to get the lionshares of the blame for failure while the other two would share it for success.

He is to blame for sure, but the team is talentless and for that Mac and JD deserve a decent chunk of the blame. And the QB was never the best prospect since Luck and was more likely to fail then succeed no matter what team drafted him.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

He had 1 job, develop Sam Darnold.  Sam Darnold, looks like a bust.  Therefore, no, he's not taking too much heat.

And then when you start to factor in how just about everyone that leaves his teams gets better, it's a monster concern.  We had the worst OL I had ever seen last year, 4 of those guys are starting on the best offenses in the league.  Tanny, Parker, Drake, Gesicki, Anderson, etc, etc, etc.  People get away from him and get better, bottom line.

There is nothing more damning to a coach.  Oh, other than being consistently a bottom 5 unit on the side of the ball that you're supposed to be an expert in.

So yeah, Gase is absolute trash and driving this team into the ground every single week.

This.

you had one job Gase. And that was to make Sam a better QB. How’s that working out?

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He is taking too much heat.

Look, he's not a good coach - but this team might have had the least talent in the NFL before the injuries, not it's just a joke.

No coach wins with this team.  

The last year of bowles and Rex those rosters where awful. And the teams still competed and played hard. Hell Rex teams competed so hard  idzik had to tank the roster twice to get him fired. 

3 minutes ago, CTM said:

Of course hes getting too much blame. Fans typically blame the QB, HC or GM when teams underperform.

The QB is 23 and you can atleast pretend to convince yourself he has significant upside. 

He was always going to get the lionshares of the blame for failure while the other two would share it for success.

He is to blame for sure, but the team is talentless and for that Mac and JD deserve a decent chunk of the blame. And the QB was never the best prospect since Luck and was more likely to fail then succeed no matter what team drafted him.

And what if Mike McCagnan was still here to take accountability for the state of this roster?

Look at Joe Judge on the Giants. He won’t take any heat until Gettleman is gone. 

If the next Jets head coach gets off to a bad start blame will go towards Douglas. 

32 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

“IDZIOT AND BIG MACCC DOOMED GASE IN CHICAGO AND MIAMI TOOOOOOO!!!!!!”

Once healthy, the 2016 Miami Dolphins shockingly turned a 1-4 start into a 10-6 finish and made the playoffs.  Last season, the 2019 New York Jets shockingly turned a 1-7 start into a 6-2.

No head coach could succeed with the pile of sh-t we are calling an offensive roster since Gase arrived.  

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Trumaine Johnson, Henry Anderson, CJ Mosley, LeVeon Bell, Jamison Crowder, Quincy Enunwa

Those 6 guys take up over 35 percent of the teams cap space. 

Quinnen Williams, Sam Darnold, Marcus Maye, Blessaun Austin, Jordan Jenkins, Chris Herndon

From 2015-2019 (5 drafts) those are current starters of which 4/6 need to be upgraded. 

The men responsible for this mess is Mike McCagnan and Christopher Johnson. This season is a culmination of the mess they made with this roster. Gase deserves some blame, but it’s not all on him-not even close. 

The team is a joke, comes out unprepared,  especially Sam. His #1 Job was to bring Sam along. Sam is going backwards. That is on Gase. 

No, for ruining the best QB prospect we have had in decades, he deserves a ton of blame.

36 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

Well...so did Josh Allen...

Exactly my point.  

If a personal quarterback coach responsible for 4 players can't get Darnold to perform like Allen in the same program working together at the same time in 4 months, how could a head coach get Darnold to perform like Allen when he's responsible for 53 players and 2 coaching staffs in a pandemic in 4 weeks?

Darnold is not ruined.  And he's getting the appropriate instruction.  He's just not very smart.  It's Year 3.  Boys turn into men and take charge of their own mechanics in the NFL.  Darnold's problems are junior high school stuff.  He shouldn't need coaching for coming out of a huddle in under 40 seconds and throwing the ball out of bounds instead of taking a loss.

SAR I

33 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

My point isn’t that Gase is a bad HC and shouldn’t be fired. The talent stinks but Gase hasn’t done anything to help these guys. 

And my point is that Gase is a good HC and no OC could be successful with this crappy and injured roster.

Keep Gase, let him be just a HC, go hire a new OC, and there you go.

I don't want to lose a good HC because we can't put a healthy and talented offense on the field for him.  That's not his job.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

And what if Mike McCagnan was still here to take accountability for the state of this roster?

Look at Joe Judge on the Giants. He won’t take any heat until Gettleman is gone. 

If the next Jets head coach gets off to a bad start blame will go towards Douglas. 

Joe Judge gets a pass because Jones is just losing games by himself. The last game, Sam lost that one for the Jets but every L is not on Sam. Most are on Jones. It's  like Jets with Geno. Best thing that ever happened to a bad HC is a bad QB.

The thing here is Gase has never shown to have a great O or be able to develop a QB. Also it appears a narrative  is now emerging  that players don't want to play for Gase. Sam deserves  better as a QB and we deserve better as fans.

25 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This.

you had one job Gase. And that was to make Sam a better QB. How’s that working out?

Sam is a better QB.  He's not an NFL caliber starting QB.  He never was and yet he started from day 1 before Gase ever showed up.  

I actually like Gase but if he doesn't bench Sam and start Morgan I would  fire him.  Sam needs to sit.

Just now, SAR I said:

And my point is that Gase is a good HC and no OC could be successful with this crappy and injured roster.

Keep Gase, let him be just a HC, go hire a new OC, and there you go.

I don't want to lose a good HC because we can't put a healthy and talented offense on the field for him.  That's not his job.

SAR I

The 9ers say hello. 

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly my point.  

If a personal quarterback coach responsible for 4 players can't get Darnold to perform like Allen in the same program working together at the same time in 4 months, how could a head coach get Darnold to perform like Allen when he's responsible for 53 players and 2 coaching staffs in a pandemic in 4 weeks?

Darnold is not ruined.  And he's getting the appropriate instruction.  He's just not very smart.  It's Year 3.  Boys turn into men and take charge of their own mechanics in the NFL.  Darnold's problems are junior high school stuff.  He shouldn't need coaching for coming out of a huddle in under 40 seconds and throwing the ball out of bounds instead of taking a loss.

SAR I

This is so badly stated. 

Gase is not responsible  for the players at all. The position coaches are. Gase is responsible  for the bigger picture like game plans and the assistant coaches under him. Do you really think gase is working with Cager and Edoga during the week. I forget which player on Dallas said this but they asked one of the OL what Jimmy Johnson works on during practice. His answer was Jimmy doesn't  work with us. Jimmy let's the position  coaches coach the players and he talks to them about the unit. So please,  stop trying g to make it look like Gase has this impossible  position of being responsible  for players. There is only one player I can possibly see him being g responsible  for and that is the QB because we don't  have a QB coach.

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Clearly that has nothing to do with having an absolute dearth of talent on either side of the ball. Gase probably won't survive, but his replacement will still have a putrid roster.

That is fine. Sam is 50/50 at this point to be our future QB, that can go either way if Gase is gone. If he stays, Sam is toast. 

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

When Gase was hired, Jets fans were, as ever, trying desperately to convince themselves of two things that are not true: we can win with this org chart, and we can win with this quarterback. Gase's acceptance of the job subject to Maccagnan and Darnold was taken as an endorsement of these views. So now instead of we were dumb and wrong about this exact same thing yet again it's Adam Gase lied to us.

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

They beat the Jets and the Giants and their backup QB Nick Mullens was better in his rookie year as the starting QB for the 9ers than either Sam or Dimes has ever been.

The 9ers marched out a JV team against the Giants. No excuse for them. That was a game they should have won. Jones does suck but the defense should have kept them in the game. 

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No coach wins with this team.  

But good ones would make them somewhat competitive.

The dude was in over his head in Miami and nothing has changed with the Jets.

Cut bait. You can't fire the owner or the players, but you can get this guy and his sidekick out of the building and see what Gregg Williams and Cooter can do.  

It's a win win scenario. Maybe the team responds and maybe Sam can be better evaluated - and if not - you are starting your coaching search now instead of the mad dash of January. 

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The 49ers are years ahead of the Jets in roster construction.  It is no surprise that the NFC champions have a better set of backups than the AFC doormats.

Do you think before you type?

SAR I

The 49ers have a HC who uses his pieces in the chess match correctly.  Gase, on the other hand, is an inexplicably arrogant, stubborn a-hole who will never relent to changing his "plan", whatever that "plan"  might be (none of us have any idea).  

He sucks as a head coach and is perhaps the worst HC in the NFL in the last decade.  He is THAT bad. He was terrible in Miami and even worse here.  He will NEVER get another HC job because the world can see just how bad he is. 

But that's not the worst of it.  His tenure here has not only failed to develop Sam Darnold, it has jeopardized Darnold's entire career.

Gase is a self-destructive time bomb.  Good bye Adam.  Have a nice life somewhere else.

You could not have been more wrong about him.  A complete 180.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

This is so badly stated. 

Gase is not responsible  for the players at all. The position coaches are. Gase is responsible  for the bigger picture like game plans and the assistant coaches under him. Do you really think gase is working with Cager and Edoga during the week. I forget which player on Dallas said this but they asked one of the OL what Jimmy Johnson works on during practice. His answer was Jimmy doesn't  work with us. Jimmy let's the position  coaches coach the players and he talks to them about the unit. So please,  stop trying g to make it look like Gase has this impossible  position of being responsible  for players. There is only one player I can possibly see him being g responsible  for and that is the QB because we don't  have a QB coach.

I agree with you completely, but the violent horde of Gase haters seems to think that Adam has "ruined" Sam Darnold.  And he hasn't.

Sam isn't failing at advanced quarterbacking.  He's failing at junior high school stuff.  Breaking a huddle before the playclock runs out.  Throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds for a loss.  Missing wide open receivers because he's locking in to his primary.  There comes a point where its on the player, not the coaching staff.  Sam is on Sam, not Adam.

Adam's job is to be a head coach and keep this team together during tough times, just like he did for us last year and as he did in Miami.  But, no, foolishly entitled Jets fans and a clickbait media are whipping up a major distraction, something that actually could cause locker room problems.  Good job.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

The 49ers have a HC who uses his pieces in the chess match correctly.  Gase, on the other hand, is an inexplicably arrogant, stubborn a-hole who will not relenty to changing his "plan".

Shannahan?  The coach who was brought in and immediately went 6-10 and followed that up with 4-12?  The coach that the fans wanted fired after 10 wins in 2 years who went and proved them to be idiots and took the team to the Super Bowl?  

Gase used his broken chess pieces brilliantly last season, turning 1-7 into 6-2.  You don't need more proof that he can roll with the punches in New York.  He's done it already.

Gase is arrogant?  Gase is stubborn?  Gee, sounds nothing like what the players have said about him in the past 14 months.  They say he is great to work for.  They say he held the team together.  They say he inspired them to win 6 of their last 8.  Not a single position coach or coordinator left town last year.  Only selfish Jamal said a negative word, and that was during his meltdown.

How about the players like Adam and he has been handed the worst hand any Jets head coach has ever been handed?  How about it takes more than 3 games to get this injured and newly-rebuilt offense to click?  How about we realize that the problems here are roster related and that knee-jerk overreaction and firing a head coach who might be good accomplishes nothing?

SAR I

Holy Hell, these repetitive threads, come on now. This is worse than how my photos are "organized" on my SD card. I am this close to starting a thread about my ass just because I thought about it. Is it big? Is it small? Is it somewhere in the middle? Should I buy Tommy Johns for Her? Should I stick with Old Navy? Definitely not going back to Fruit of the Loom, they give me plumber's crack.

What time is it? Is it too late to make it to Target? They're having a sale on Hanes, the Boy Briefs, I like those, the hipsters, those didn't work out. Okay, now that I've said all that, I'm going to make 10 other threads about my ass and underwear asking the same questions but separately. This way, when somebody makes a relevant point, everyone else has to search through 10 separate threads to find it. Don't say I never gave you anything.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree with you completely, but the violent horde of Gase haters seems to think that Adam has "ruined" Sam Darnold.  And he hasn't.

Sam isn't failing at advanced quarterbacking.  He's failing at junior high school stuff.  Breaking a huddle before the playclock runs out.  Throwing the ball away instead of running out of bounds for a loss.  Missing wide open receivers because he's locking in to his primary.  There comes a point where its on the player, not the coaching staff.  Sam is on Sam, not Adam.

Adam's job is to be a head coach and keep this team together during tough times, just like he did for us last year and as he did in Miami.  But, no, foolishly entitled Jets fans and a clickbait media are whipping up a major distraction, something that actually could cause locker room problems.  Good job.

SAR I

Sam has lots of problems, for sure.  But Gase has done NOTHING to imrove him.  Nothing.  He can 100% be indicted for failing to develop this QB.  And he was allegedly a QB guru, but all of Gase's history points to QB failure (Tannehill, Darnold).  Peyton Manning did his own thing and Gase let him.  That's why Manning loved him.  Apples and Oranges.  Gase is terrible with QBs.

• Post of the Week 1