6 Years for a reason (Joe D)

Adoni Beast

There are many reasons Joe Douglas demanded a 6 year contract, and it wasn’t just because the roster was sh*t (which it was / still is).

- Gase lobbied for Douglas, but it’s clear Douglas did not believe in Gase as a head coach.

- Whatever Douglas has said about Darnold publicly doesn’t mean anything. He has done bare minimum for him.

Douglas originally declined the offer to come here when it was first offered for 4-5 years. GM jobs don’t come along often and if you believe in your “friend” as a head coach, and your young QB as a franchise quarterback, you take that 4-5 year offer. Obviously, the timing of the Mac firing/Gase hiring made it impossible for Douglas to recommend he be able to hire his own coach right off the bat. So he said, hey I didn’t hire that coach...I didn’t draft that quarterback. I don’t want to be held responsible for them.

Last year was a wash because Douglas basically came on at the start of the season, but it’s obvious he was just waiting Gase out. 

Conversely, it doesn’t seem like he was a big believer in Darnold either (have him no weapons) but figured he’d bolster the OL a little bit to see if he could still evaluate him.

The Jamal Adams trade was the final piece, which he already tried to last year. He wanted picks, to punt on last/this season, get a new coach...and possibly new quarterback.

It’s a shame that it all had to go this way, and that Sam is most likely going to be the sacrificial lamb. The Johnsons have no one to blame but themselves for this mess.

J & J:

- Kept Mac/Bowles around for drafting Sam and entrusting his rookie season and development to them. 

- Fired Bowles but keep the equally inept GM to botch the hiring process that was supposed to be for Sam’s development. 

- Hired Adam Gase, a guy so hotly sought after, only one other team (Zona) interviewed him that offseason. 

- Fired the inept GM after this unwanted coach demanded it. 

I mean you can’t make this stuff up. Fans and media alike all knew that Gase would be a disaster, think about that. Everyone knew / no one was praising this hire.

We could have had Rhule or Kingbury or played it safe and hired McCarthy (who I don’t think we would have won a super bowl with but he would have at least developed Darnold the right way and into a good quarterback).

Douglas demanded 6 years for a reason and definitely acted like a man who had time and control on his side this draft/off season. I hope that we can get rid of Gase asap...let’s see if we can evaluate Sam for the rest of the season to see if there is anything worth salvaging.

What is going to be interesting in this head coach search is: 1. Will JD want Sam back? 2. How will the coaching candidates feel about Sam? He is the biggest variable in that equation and the sooner we at least look at how he plays for JBC/Gregg instead of Gase/Dowell the sooner we may have some better insight.

Fire now. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

I think that every GM deserves the right to pick his coach (in our case at least seriously influence the Johnson’s who to pick) and draft a QB (unless you fall into a Tom Brady, Peyton manning, Andrew luck situation). 

Joe D has done neither of those yet. I expect him to do so now based on what I’m seeing. And 6 years is plenty of time to accomplish both.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So it’s great that JD was able to get a 6 year contract.   Are people expecting this rebuild to take 6 years?   

The perpetual rebuild, never ending hamster wheel.  Go into hibernation until 2025, then we'll be cooking with fire! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

- Whatever Douglas has said about Darnold publicly doesn’t mean anything. He has done bare minimum for him.

Douglas originally declined the offer to come here when it was first offered for 4-5 years. GM jobs don’t come along often and if you believe in your “friend” as a head coach, and your young QB as a franchise quarterback, you take that 4-5 year offer. Obviously, the timing of the Mac firing/Gase hiring made it impossible for Douglas to recommend he be able to hire his own coach right off the bat. So he said, hey I didn’t hire that coach...I didn’t draft that quarterback. I don’t want to be held responsible for them.

Last year was a wash because Douglas basically came on at the start of the season, but it’s obvious he was just waiting Gase out. 

Conversely, it doesn’t seem like he was a big believer in Darnold either (have him no weapons) but figured he’d bolster the OL a little bit to see if he could still evaluate him.

I agree with most of what you said except for the part about Douglas not believing in Darnold. I think he has done enough to allow Darnold to prove himself. 

Obviously, Douglas didn't draft Darnold so there isn't a huge connection to him but he used the first 2 picks of the draft to protect Darnold (Beckton) and to give him a WR. Douglas couldn't predict Mims injury. Douglas also drafted a rookie RB to help the RB depth. 

Douglas also bolstered the rest of the offensive line through free agency. 

Not signing Anderson looks to be a mistake and we all think he should have drafted 1 more WR, but Darnold came into the year with a revamped Oline, Bell, Crowder, Perriman, Mims, Herndon and Griffin (who looked pretty good last year). 

Aside from Diggs, what other WR/TE was available this off-season? Juju? Just because the Steelers may not want to give him a monster contract doesn't mean they were willing to trade him away this year for picks. They need Juju this year. 

Either way, at some point this year Mims/Perriman/Bell will be back. Darnold will have a chance to prove himself. If he sucks well then it's time to move on. Douglas has positioned himself to pivot in either direction. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

& J:

- Kept Mac/Bowles around for drafting Sam and entrusting his rookie season and development to them. 

- Fired Bowles but keep the equally inept GM to botch the hiring process that was supposed to be for Sam’s development. 

- Hired Adam Gase, a guy so hotly sought after, only one other team (Zona) interviewed him that offseason. 

I mean you can’t make this stuff up.

Yep letting mac run that critical offseason and then canning him is the worst thing I've seen this franchise do off the field. Completely inexplicable

And now if JD is a buffoon it's going to take 2 more years to figure it out. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So it’s great that JD was able to get a 6 year contract.   Are people expecting this rebuild to take 6 years?   

Unfortunately, (and this all falls back to J&J being the worst) the first year of the 6 year deal was basically him just evaluating the organization. He came on post-free agency / post-draft. So that’s a wash.

He wanted no part of Gase who was just hired but had to deal with him for a year or two...so that’s 2 out of the 6 already, again wasted time because of the situation our owners created.

Now he will have his 4-5 years with a new coach and possibly new QB. I mean he cleaned house pretty quickly from the old regime. Leo, Jamal, Robbie, Gase soon to be gone, Sam is on the hot seat, Bell will be gone, I wonder if we let Maye walk, he pushed Osemel and Enunwa out real fast.

Let’s see what kind of team this guy can build...and equally as important, let’s see what kind of coach he hires. 

Pros:

Becton - His biggest call yet and looks to have nailed it. In fact injuries aside I think he had a good draft. Hopefully we get to see some of them play one day.

Emphasis on O-line - Even though I didn't like some of the FA signings (with the one I did looking the worst) it's at least evidence that he sees how important the position is where the last GM's let it rot.

Adams trade - You could argue he could have done it earlier but even my greatest hopes didn't see us getting such a haul for a disgruntled player due to be paid a ton of money that we couldn't really afford to give him.

Cons:

Robby Anderson - Absolute debacle. Whatever about Perriman and Mims, get them too if you want. Anderson was a proven starting WR that we couldn't afford to lose in what was a decisive year for the QB.

Kalil/Griffin/Perriman/Fant - A lot of signings and decisions in FA were poor. Liked the Kalil deal at the time to be fair but it was a disaster. Mac left him in a desperate situation. Perriman and Fant issues were exacerbated by Anderson and Conklin getting reasonable deals. Griffin deal was awful for a player with a history of so little production, even before the injury it was nothing special that was worth rewarding. Can do nothing right now.

Not firing Gase - Maybe doesn't have the power but pretty sure he could force it through if he wanted. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Seriously.  It never ends.   At what point can we see some progress? 

I think most of us thought our luck had finally turned in 2018 when the projected top QB in the draft fell to us. But in typical Jets fashion (and worst nightmare), we are on the verge of f'ing that up too.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Unfortunately, (and this all falls back to J&J being the worst) the first year of the 6 year deal was basically him just evaluating the organization. He came on post-free agency / post-draft. So that’s a wash.

He wanted no part of Gase who was just hired but had to deal with him for a year or two...so that’s 2 out of the 6 already, again wasted time because of the situation our owners created.

Now he will have his 4-5 years with a new coach and possibly new QB. I mean he cleaned house pretty quickly from the old regime. Leo, Jamal, Robbie, Gase soon to be gone, Sam is on the hot seat, Bell will be gone, I wonder if we let Maye walk, he pushed Osemel and Enunwa out real fast.

Let’s see what kind of team this guy can build...and equally as important, let’s see what kind of coach he hires. 

The cleaning of the house is the easy part, even Idzik was able to execute that part.   We’ll see what this draft class looks like at the end of this season.  We all said that JD NEEDS to hit on his first couple draft classes if thing is going to work.  Let’s hope there is more to this draft class than just Becton.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

I think most of us thought our luck had finally turned in 2018 when the projected top QB in the draft fell to us. But in typical Jets fashion (and worst nightmare), we are on the verge of f'ing that up too.

Exactly, we go from all of that potential to now it’s a 6 year rebuild....Lol.  This franchise is just so incompetent and that’s probably why I am skeptical of all this “just trust JD” stuff.  

51 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

There are many reasons Joe Douglas demanded a 6 year contract, and it wasn’t just because the roster was sh*t (which it was / still is).

- Gase lobbied for Douglas, but it’s clear Douglas did not believe in Gase as a head coach.

The Jamal Adams trade was the final piece, which he already tried to last year. He wanted picks, to punt on last/this season, get a new coach...and possibly new quarterback.

It’s a shame that it all had to go this way, and that Sam is most likely going to be the sacrificial lamb. The Johnsons have no one to blame but themselves for this mess.

J & J:

I mean you can’t make this stuff up. Fans and media alike all knew that Gase would be a disaster, think about that. Everyone knew / no one was praising this hire.

We could have had Rhule or Kingbury or played it safe and hired McCarthy (who I don’t think we would have won a super bowl with but he would have at least developed Darnold the right way and into a good quarterback).

Douglas demanded 6 years for a reason and definitely acted like a man who had time and control on his side this draft/off season. I hope that we can get rid of Gase asap...let’s see if we can evaluate Sam for the rest of the season to see if there is anything worth salvaging.

What is going to be interesting in this head coach search is: 1. Will JD want Sam back? 2. How will the coaching candidates feel about Sam? He is the biggest variable in that equation and the sooner we at least look at how he plays for JBC/Gregg instead of Gase/Dowell the sooner we may have some better insight.

Fire now. 

#joeanon

honestly before we say how poor JD's FA signings were let's remember there wasn't much available, he needed to retool the OL and there were no WR's so to speak of...I think the only spot he may have dropped the ball a bit was in not adding another WR to draft list, otherwise he did his best with a sh*t hand. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Exactly, we go from all of that potential to now it’s a 6 year rebuild....Lol.  This franchise is just so incompetent and that’s probably why I am skeptical of all this “just trust JD” stuff.  

In today's NFL, a rebuild doesn't take 6 years. Just need to hit on 70% (approx #) of your draft picks (not necessarily stars, but competent starters/contributors for a few years) over the course of 2 -3 years to establish a core. Supplement that with a few solid FA signings and a few UDFAs and I think you are a competitive team. 5 years of mostly misses in the draft have left the cupboards pretty bare.

1 of those hits needs to be a QB if you don't already have one. And that's the hardest on to get.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

J & J:

Fire now. 

So much hearsay and speculation in this that you are pawning off as fact... This is a Mehta article if I have ever seen one.

• Upvote 1

Joe Douglas has to build a foundation first before anything, because at this moment there is none!!!! It won't take two off seasons or drafts to fix this team and Douglas knows it. He went and signed on with a plan something that neither of his predecessors had or made. Douglas needs to build that oline still to protect the QB and open holes. It always begins with  the oline and then the WR's and TE and last the RB. 

Douglas drafting Becton doesn't solidify the oline at all!!! Becton is just a piece of the wall that needs more work to build on!!!  That is why Douglas will need 6 years to complete part of the job. 

If anyone knows their NFL history remember the Tampa Bay Bucs? Look how long it took them to build their team? Look how they built it also and who coached that team. Tony Dungy (1996-2001) was a good coach for them and what's sad he wasn't there to finish the job. It was his team that went to the Super Bowl and won in 2002!!!! That team was built through the draft and look how long it took to build that team. Remember Tampa Bay was founded in 1976 and didn't win their first Super Bowl until 2002 they made the playoffs and won in their first playoff game in 1997 under Tony Dungy. 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

People really think that Douglas is anti-Gase?  The reason the Jets were linked to Douglas was supposedly his relationship to Gase.  

If douglas cares about the job he has worked his entire career to get . A friendship wont have impact on firing Gase. Also lets not forget douglas wasn't worried about that friendship when he originally turned us down . Till we gave him more money and caved to every demand.  

9 minutes ago, jetswin said:

honestly before we say how poor JD's FA signings were let's remember there wasn't much available, he needed to retool the OL and there were no WR's so to speak of...I think the only spot he may have dropped the ball a bit was in not adding another WR to draft list, otherwise he did his best with a sh*t hand. 

Should of paid Robby and still drafted a 2nd WR. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

If douglas cares about the job he has worked his entire career to get . A friendship wont have impact on firing Gase.

Fair enough, but the narrative in this thread seems to be that he was stuck with Gase as HC. If that is what is being sold, I'm not buying.  The sixth year is protection.  It gets him a bit more pay-day, plus it keeps him from being Idzik'ed.  You come on board, you want a chance to be judged on your own merits, but it is likely that they are going to dump you when they change coaches, so this gets him an extra year or two of salary if they try that.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough, but the narrative in this thread seems to be that he was stuck with Gase as HC. If that is what is being sold, I'm not buying.  The sixth year is protection.  It gets him a bit more pay-day, plus it keeps him from being Idik'ed.  You come on board, you want a chance to be judged on your own merits, but it is likely that they are going to dump you when they change coaches, so this gets him an extra year or two of salary if they try that.

I added a little more to my original take. But agree with you on that 6th year.

Sure would be nice to see the rookies get on the field. The product is just unwatchable otherwise. 

I’m taking the viewpoint that I think JD is more competent than the last two guys but he still needs to prove something soon. I just had no personal expectations this year since the roster is filled with mediocre talent. 

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

If this rebuild took 6 years and we won a SB at the end of it, which would or should be within most of our lifetimes, I would sign up for it and then give him a lifetime contract after that.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Panthers offered more . Robby actually wanted to stay here.

Both ****ed up here. Robby was the one to extend before his last year, not Enunwa. Many of us said as much when that dumb contract was signed. 

JD also should have just brought in both Robby and Perriman if he liked both. This team is hurting with WR depth and has done squat at making this problem better. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

If this rebuild took 6 years and we won a SB at the end of it, which would or should be within most of our lifetimes, I would sign up for it and then give him a lifetime contract after that.

Sure, but if that were to be true then this team would need to be competing for at least the division by year 4 of his reign.  That’s 2022, I’m not sure that’s realistic at this point.