Costello: Jets must get rid of disgruntled Le'Veon Bell immediately

16 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Get what you can get and cut your losses not like we aren’t cutting him in the offseason anyway.

Probably no choice in this case but it's a loser's game to cut anyone who squawks loose. What behavior do you think that will incentivate?

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably no choice in this case but it's a loser's game to cut anyone who squawks loose. What behavior do you think that will incentivate?

I agree, but if the Jets can save money, maybe get draft pick (maybe give one up) and hopefully send him someplace terrible, it might be worth it. 

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I agree, but if the Jets can save money, maybe get draft pick (maybe give one up) and hopefully send him someplace terrible, it might be worth it. 

If JD wants to build the "best culture in sports" he might have to take an L on some of these dudes and force them to play out the string.

3 hours ago, pointman said:

He will get us something. The rest of the league knows we are a terrible franchise and that with a better roster (that any college team could even provide), Bell will be more productive than he was here. 

He would cost any team who acquired him about $13M in cap space.  

Only 9 teams have that much space, currently, and none of them need a 28-year old RB with nearly 2,000 career touches, who has not performed well. 

Only us and the Colts were interested in him when he was a FA.  The Colts then went out and drafted Jonathan Taylor in the 2nd round.  What new team(s) is coming out of the woodwork to give up a pick for him over a year later?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He would cost any team who acquired him about $13M in cap space.  

Only 9 teams have that much space, currently, and none of them need a 28-year old RB with nearly 2,000 career touches, who has not performed well. 

Only us and the Colts were interested in him when he was a FA.  The Colts then went out and drafted Jonathan Taylor in the 2nd round.  What new team(s) is coming out of the woodwork to give up a pick for him over a year later?

Injuries happen. Current backs come up short. Maybe someone is interested in bringing in what was once a dynamic back. You never know in this league.

3 minutes ago, pointman said:

Injuries happen. Current backs come up short. Maybe someone is interested in bringing in what was once a dynamic back. You never know in this league.

Teams with injured backs just bring in someone off the scrap heap. 

Is Bell really that much better than, say, current FA Lamar Miller, that a team would trade a pick for the right to hand Bell $11M more in cap space?

I can't think of the last time a team made a midseason trade for a big-name RB.  Maybe Trent Richardson in 2013 (Browns to Colts), after the Colts lost Vick Ballard to injury?  And that trade played out horribly for Indy.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Teams with injured backs just bring in someone off the scrap heap. 

Is Bell really that much better than, say, current FA Lamar Miller, that a team would trade a pick for the right to hand Bell $11M more in cap space?

I can't think of the last time a team made a midseason trade for a big-name RB.  Maybe Trent Richardson in 2013 (Browns to Colts), after the Colts lost Vick Ballard to injury?  And that trade played out horribly for Indy.  

This. 

Bell is overpaid, past his prime, and plays the least valuable (and easiest to replace) position in the NFL. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, RevisIsland610 said:

I laugh when the article says the idiot Gase doesn't trust Perrine. Are you kidding? He plays the POS Herndon who can't catch sh*t. Just play Perrine you idiot. What exactly do you have to lose? 

What is there not to trust?  RB is the easiest position to learn in the nfl and as far as anyone knows Perine has never had a fumbling problem

I think Gase is crazy.  Literally

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

I want Gase and Bell to be as miserable as possible until next January.  Keep them together

Eh, tbh, I feel bad for Gase at this point. 

He's in over his head and public enemy number 1. He's one of the most hated people in the history of Jets fandom and seems to have no chance of turning things around. 

I guess I shouldn't feel bad for him because he's "rich as f*cK" for being terrible at his job. But I do. I guess I have a big heart. 

3 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Sick of Bell. Being frustrated on an 0-5 team is to be expected but going on social media and being a bitch is not. When you do things like that you turn your back on teammates and that's never the right thing to do. This Jets team needs to stick together to keep it to only on field issues. No extracurricular's. 

You realise Costello wrote this dreck because Bell wouldn't give him the time of day post match yesterday. I don't blame Bell for that either. Bunch of bottom feeders the lot of them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, adb280z said:

They also started 1-7, that's on him too.  They beat 1 team with a winning record and that was in week 17 when Buffalo sat everyone and the Jets barely won the game.  They also managed to lose to 2 win Cincinnati.  

They lost when they had no quarterback and when he was struggling to return to form after a debilitating disease.

They won when he got better.  Gase did a great job.  This year, the roster is even worse and Darnold is hurt.

SAR I

39 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, tbh, I feel bad for Gase at this point. 

He's in over his head and public enemy number 1. He's one of the most hated people in the history of Jets fandom and seems to have no chance of turning things around. 

I guess I shouldn't feel bad for him because he's "rich as f*cK" for being terrible at his job. But I do. I guess I have a big heart. 

Gase is getting paid millions to be a horrible head coach.  He got himself fired in Miami after literally daring the owner to fire him

im fine with my Gase hatred

38 minutes ago, Aussie Jet said:

You realise Costello wrote this dreck because Bell wouldn't give him the time of day post match yesterday. I don't blame Bell for that either. Bunch of bottom feeders the lot of them.

Costello is a hack.  He’s as bad as Mehta when it came to being a Mike Macagnan defender he was just a little more low key about it 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

They lost when they had no quarterback and when he was struggling to return to form after a debilitating disease.

They won when he got better.  Gase did a great job.  This year, the roster is even worse and Darnold is hurt.

SAR I

The 1st 3 games this year Darnold was not hurt.  None were competitive.  Adam Gase is supposed to be a genius on the offensive side of the game, where is that genius?  What players has he developed?

I was strongly again signing Bell last off season. He didnt seem serious about football anymore, I didnt think he would be remotely the same player after a year off and I thought that whatever he did have left, his style probably wouldnt be nearly as effective behind our horrible oline and, ultimately, I didnt think he could live up to the contract he would get. He had definitely lost a step and definitely hasnt lived up to his contract. I'm not sure he could have replicated all bro Bell even on a competent team but at this point I really believe that no coach in this league could have managed and utilized Bell as poorly as Gase. What Gase had done with, arguably, the best "weapon" on our offense has been disgusting. 

When Bell was hurt, I could at least see the argument that Gore MIGHT be the most effective back, even though I've been screaming at the TV to get Perrine reps. Yesterday was yet another disgusting example of how pathetic this team is under Gase. Running 2.0ypc Gore like a workhorse and barely getting Bell a chance; just one target, etc is such an inexcusable level of incompetence. 

I never wanted Bell with his contract on the team last year but even as unhappy as I was with the signing, I can't help but appreciate the professionalism Bell had brought to this completely dysfunctional franchise/team. I expected him to become a Jamal-like cancer and he has sounded like a veteran leader since day 1...

All that being said, there is nothing I would like to see more than Bell traded to a competent franchise for anything JD could get. So sick of this team right now I could care less about value. I doubt he would look like the old Bell on any team, but I've come to like this guy and feel like he deserves much better than this sh*t show. Idk if he is still the sure thing HOFer he was a few years ago, but he deserves better than to spend the last seasons of his 20's playing second string to Frank f*ckin' Gore for the worst team and most inept coach in the league. And after Bell spoke up a little this week, Gase will probably knock him down to special teams. 

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I purposely copied and pasted this article even though I am a fan of Le'Veon Bell.  

JD needs to come under fire for signing Frank Gore this was a bad signing as were others he is responsible for. 

The NY Jets  RB's when healthy should be Bell and Perine. 

Not a 37 yr old Frank Gore who I give all the credit in the world for trying to play at 37. 

TIME TO MOVE ON FROM FRANK GORE would have been a better article for Brian Costello to write. 

I didnt really mind the signing when it happened. I would have preferred Powel, if all things equal, but I had read positive things about Perine after the draft and had hoped from him to get RB2 reps behind Bell. I thought Gore would be a solid mentor/RB3 and rotational short yardage back. I completely neglected the Adam Gase effect and should have known Gase would run him practically like a 3 down workhorse. Today, knowing how Gase is using him in a desperate attempt to field an NFL offense - definitely a bad signing.

I'd would like to believe that if JD had imagined that adding Gore would take touches away from Bell and stop Perrine from getting any experience... Who knows? ??‍♂️?